Author Topic: Universities that live off their prestige but actually offer little else:  (Read 11007 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
It's sad to say but a lot of these degrees are worthless. You end up with a lot of student debt and no real career to show for it. So many who get PHD's find the only good job they can get that pays well is teaching at a university. Other than that it's almost a worthless piece of paper for many.

So many college profesors have never been in the real world. They were students till they are 30 and then they taught college. They have a liberal warped view of the world. Yes they make 100K plus teaching but many couuldn't make it in the outside world.

In todays world if you go to college you have to treat it as a trade school. You have to ask yourself, when I get that piece of paper where do I go for my job?  If the answer is I don't know, then good luck. Many dream that if they only get that MBA then a buisness will be so impressed that they will give them an office, reserved parking and a secretary.  The truth is that the entry job they land they could have gotten with no degree. Now they have 100k of studen loans to pay.  They would have made more money opening up a deli or pizza store with that money.

My current MSc, that's the way I look at it, just a ticket to a job but the market in general is such shit outside of maybe Germany or Austria that who knows? No guarantees no matter how smart something is planned.
I hate the State.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
Other than not continuing playing baseball the biggest regret in my life was not finishing up my degree and actually experiencing a college life. Every time I step on campus at USC or UCLA (about twice a month to each) or when I visit other Universities around the country for seminars, I feel like I really missed out. I envy you guys that have went and experienced that "college life". I see the kids that I've worked with since they were in Jr. high through HS and some since even elementary school going on recruiting trips to different colleges, planning their lives, etc. The only thing I can do now is help some of these kids gain scholarships through their athletics (we've helped about 15-20) and help tutor to get their GPA's up for college, HS and just to stay in OUR program. (My wife is a credentialed teacher). Kick myself everyday.

lol your 5'5 aint like you would get drafted into professional baseball anyways
l

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
If you're getting a Ph.D. because you think it's going to lead to some grand high-paying job you probably haven't researched the situation very well.

Most people who get Ph.Ds do so because they want a job in academia or research and it's a requirement for that, not because more degrees = more $.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

lol your 5'5 aint like you would get drafted into professional baseball anyways

Well, farm leagues are technically professional ball clubs, I know I wouldn't have ever been called up but the reality is you're right and have been told that. Especially as a catcher and infielder.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Well, farm leagues are technically professional ball clubs, I know I wouldn't have ever been called up but the reality is you're right and have been told that. Especially as a catcher and infielder.
Tell us,

What kind of "college life" would a pseudo-Jesus-Christ-Crusader hope to live and act out?  Pole Smoking and group prayer at the center square flag?  If thats the scenario, than you`d probably be in hog heaven.  And of course there are always the young Gay College Republicans to join. 

che

• Getbig V
Tell us,

What kind of "college life" would a pseudo-Jesus-Christ-Crusader hope to live and act out?  Pole Smoking and group prayer at the center square flag?  If thats the scenario, than you`d probably be in hog heaven.  And of course there are always the young Gay College Republicans to join. 

Haha