Author Topic: Purppose of Chains  (Read 2434 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Purppose of Chains
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »
Can anyone explain to me the purpose of using chains?  Seeing it more and more often....

Have a great weekend!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Purppose of Chains
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:30:50 AM »
Chains provide increasing resistance during the rep.
As the bar moves upward, more of the chain is lifted off the ground, adding weight for the trainer.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »
They are to be worn around your neck during shoulder flies for intimidation purposes.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:05 AM »
chains of varying sizes are commonly used in strongman training

from a bbing perspective, i think they're nothing more than a change-up from regular weight movements

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:15 AM »
Chains provide increasing resistance during the rep.
As the bar moves upward, more of the chain is lifted off the ground, adding weight for the trainer.

i think this is what he was asking for...

its like using bands only more hardcore ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »
When doing benches the strongest point is at the top or completion of the press. If only using the weight for the lower strength position (start or bottom of regular benches) the top (stronger position) does not get worked to it's full capacity. When chains are hung from the bar, more resistance is applied as the bar is pressed up, assuring that approaching the lockout/top position muscle contraction get's more resistance.

As most lifts, there are three phases, start, middle and top to a muscle contraction. Chains handle this well but three phase power rack training can be a better method (just my view). Pin setting are help extremely well when training fopr strength/power for each three phase starting position.

Believe that Art Jones had this idea in mind when he developed his machines, with the Nautilus three phase patten gear. He was working with chain resistance before his machine inventions. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
i think this is what he was asking for...

its like using bands only more hardcore ;)

Yep.
I think bands are a little more practical, especially if you train in a facility that frowns upon storing & attaching big, clunky, noisy, rusty chains to their equipment.
I’ve never used either, but most power-lifters I’ve talked to over the last few years claim they prefer the bands.

I have known a few bb’er types who implemented power moves into their training - bands/chains being one of them.
Same goes for lockouts done inside a power rack (compare with board-presses), as well as rack deads.

Even if training strictly for aesthetics, I think it’s wise to incorporate some power-lifting principles on occasion to switch things up and help break through some plateaus.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:56:48 AM »
The issue with bands is they tend to be "snappy" and pull only in the direction they are tied to, chains are "free weight" and move freely with the bar. Both are useful and actually feel different because of their respective ranges of resistance during the lift.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:16 PM »
The issue with bands is they tend to be "snappy" and pull only in the direction they are tied to, chains are "free weight" and move freely with the bar. Both are useful and actually feel different because of their respective ranges of resistance during the lift.

Excellent point that I'd never even considered.
Have you ever hung bands from the top of a power rack and used them to pull the bar upward instead of down?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
Chaos make good points. At times you can get a somewhat lateral pull rather than the true path of the lift from bands ("S" shaped). Been told that after a while bands tend to lose their resistance factor/strength & should be checked on occasion. Bands do serve a purpose in lifting, along with chains, and are most affected with speed work/drills.

Of course, as Motague suggest, BB'er's should add Pl or Olympic movement to training. But with higher BB'ing reps. One of the most effective exercise for pure upper back and trap mass are power cleans or Hi-pulls. Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »

Excellent point that I'd never even considered.
Have you ever hung bands from the top of a power rack and used them to pull the bar upward instead of down?
Never did it myself, but I know guys that did.

I prefer to use chains, but bands are intense for deadlifts.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!