Author Topic: Do you 'tip'?  (Read 2645 times)

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
Do you 'tip'?
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:15:30 AM »
why do we tip waitresses and bartenders? why do hotelliers/restauranters get off paying them next to nothing yet charge us full price for drinks and meals and we're expected to pay their staff?

why dont the people that work at mcdonalds earning the same coin get tips?

tipping = gay

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Do you 'tip'?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:21:45 AM »
why do we tip waitresses and bartenders? why do hotelliers/restauranters get off paying them next to nothing yet charge us full price for drinks and meals and we're expected to pay their staff?

tipping = gay

bars/restuarants pay $2.15 an hour, tips are givin hopefully for good service by the waiter
Mcd's/fast food pay minimum wage.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:26:58 AM »
bars/restuarants pay $2.15 an hour

thats disgusting

tips are givin hopefully for good service by the waiter

shouldnt you expect good service based on the employers discretion to hire reasonable staff...not what they can prostitute out of you?

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 08:30:58 AM »

thats disgusting

shouldnt you expect good service based on the employers discretion to hire reasonable staff...not what they can prostitute out of you?

trust me it is disgusting, that is why tipping is important to them.  In many countries tipping is built into the price, but it is a service industrya nd tipping is based soley on the tipper.  I've worked in the restaurant biz, and it is hard worka nd long hours.  Good waiters are hard to find and dont last long.  They will usually go to upscale places after some time due to mney

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 08:31:27 AM »

You'd be paying it one way or the other. If people didn't tip 18% and restaurants had to make up the difference in wages, the food would cost 18% more than it does now.

But with the tipping system, you can lower or withhold the tip if you get crappy service. Likewise, you can always tip more if you get extraordinary service.

If you had to pay more for the food in order to support higher wages, and the people got paid the same whether they gave great service, mediocre service, or crappy service, what incentive do they have to give great service?
Ron: "I am lazy."

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 08:32:20 AM »
You'd be paying it one way or the other. If people didn't tip 18% and restaurants had to make up the difference in wages, the food would cost 18% more than it does now.

But with the tipping system, you can lower or withhold the tip if you get crappy service. Likewise, you can always tip more if you get extraordinary service.

If you had to pay more for the food in order to support higher wages, and the people got paid the same whether they gave great service, mediocre service, or crappy service, what incentive do they have to work harder?

very true.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 08:41:56 AM »
this isnt an anti waitstaff idea...its an anti restauranter/hotellier thread.

how much do you think it costs to make a steak dinner? how much do you think a beer costs wholesale? I'll tell you....fuckall! Yet they still charge us $8 for a beer or $25 for a meal

imagine a business that didnt have to pay its staff, id be all over that shit too

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 08:53:02 AM »
I only tip the waitress at the Italian restaurant we go to because she's pretty. Other than that I don't tip. It's not really the norm up here in the north (not where I am anyway) though it's starting to creep in slowly.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 08:53:11 AM »
That's the difference between Britain and America - in Britain no-one gives a shit about tipping and it doesn't really happen that often. When I went to the States, every fucker wants tipped and expects it as part of the job. I got pissed off with it after a while and refused to do it eventually. Needless to say I wasn't too popular in the hotel after a while. Did I care? Did I bollocks.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 09:00:48 AM »

tipping = gay
Spitting in your food, getting lousy service, shitty table.  You'd have to hop tables for a while to get it.  But for Your own piece of mind, tip.   That's the way it's been done forever.  Just the way it is.  Just tip for Christ's sakes.  You have a job right?  Hoping tables is their's and it's a shilty job at that.   You don't want to tip, I suggest YOU go to Mc Donald's.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 09:06:15 AM »
Spitting in your food, getting lousy service, shitty table.  You'd have to hop tables for a while to get it.  But for Your own piece of mind, tip.   That's the way it's been done forever.  Just the way it is.  Just tip for Christ's sakes.  You have a job right?  Hoping tables is their's and it's a shilty job at that.   You don't want to tip, I suggest YOU go to Mc Donald's.

dude, dont you get my point?

the owners arnt paying their staff the customers are

what other industry gets away with that?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 09:17:45 AM »

You obviously don't understand how business works. You would be paying for it one way or the other. If you weren't paying the staff through tipping, you'd be paying them through higher prices. It has to come from somewhere, and restaurant owners in America don't make any higher return on capital invested than they do in Australia or Britain.
Ron: "I am lazy."

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »

I get Your point, but that's the way the hospitality industry has been run forever.  I'd love to see it changed too, but that ain't gonna happen.  And I tip because I used to be a server and know how hard they work.  When you get stiffed, it's like your boss taking a 10 out of your paycheck.  It sucks, but who's gonna change it. Some who work in fancy restaurants can make 300+ a night and I don't think their gonna fight for the girl working at Applebees who's lucky to make 100 on a good night and they work their asses off.  It's wrong, but that's just the way it is >:(
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 09:25:25 AM »

You obviously don't understand how business works. You would be paying for it one way or the other. If you weren't paying the staff through tipping, you'd be paying them through higher prices. It has to come from somewhere, and restaurant owners in America don't make any higher return on capital invested than they do in Australia or Britain.

tipping is not expected here (Australia) and waitstaff are paid acording to the award...18-40 dollers per hour depending on shift.

A beer costs the same as it does in the US a meal costs the same as it does in the US to the consumer...yet it costs less for the US proprietor...hmmmn simply put, produce is cheaper in the US.

As for understanding how business works....think again goat, you know me a lil better than that  ::)

do you own a bar/restaurant?

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »
25 to 30% is pretty typical where I live.
E

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »
always 15 to 20 percent

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 09:44:57 AM »
I get Your point, but that's the way the hospitality industry has been run forever.  I'd love to see it changed too, but that ain't gonna happen.  And I tip because I used to be a server and know how hard they work.  When you get stiffed, it's like your boss taking a 10 out of your paycheck.  It sucks, but who's gonna change it. Some who work in fancy restaurants can make 300+ a night and I don't think their gonna fight for the girl working at Applebees who's lucky to make 100 on a good night and they work their asses off.  It's wrong, but that's just the way it is >:(

I understand what you mean...its nice to see an american that agree's with the absurdity of it though. Its funny because I converted quite a few when I lived there back in 03 with the simple suggestion that the only ones makin money were the owners.

Seriously, food and booze costs next to nothing. Its a tradition that of course is embraced by business owners and students because A. the owners dont have to pay staff and b. staff can make some serious coin,

all at the expense of the consumer

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »
do you guys tip hookers
Valhalla awaits.

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 04:31:29 PM »
i never tip a hooker, except one time when the condom broke ;D

as for tipping, usually not on takeout, never for bad service, and when i pay with cc i never do the math myself i just put the total :)

i worked as a busboy for a time and despite the fact i worked harder the nany of the wait staff i made 3-5x less.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
Yes, when I eat out tip 15%.
The House that Ruth built

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 06:58:11 PM »
wish i served you when i was in the biz!

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 09:22:48 PM »
These people live on their tips and many people make very good livings doing so.

the business owners live on your tips too  :D

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »
bars/restuarants pay $2.15 an hour, tips are givin hopefully for good service by the waiter
Mcd's/fast food pay minimum wage.

Even if all I had to do was STAND ,doing absolutely nothing ,I would not go to my job for  $ 2.15 per hour.

I drink more cokes than that will buy per week.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 07:28:17 AM »
damn i hate tipping..once i tipped a delivery guy twice the money i supposed to tip him..damn i a m stupid.from that day i never tipped any one.
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 07:30:56 AM »
i average around 20%...well thats the lowest i tip...30 if the service is good...

hy do i tip?

simply..its good manners..and the server usually gets paid only a buck or 2 / hr...

people at Mc donalds dont bring me my food....dont come back and check to see if i like my burger...dont keep my water glass or wine glass full without me having to wait.....

hot college chicks usually dont work at mcdonalds mate... :)

exceptional service usually gets 40% from me and by exceptional i mean i leave the resturant feeling giddy and refreshed :)...i once made the mistake of tiping 200%..(well she ws sooo hot n cute and nice to me) and the manager followed me to my car to check my ID....i wont do that again >:(
carpe` vaginum!