Author Topic: Injuries today  (Read 1784 times)

The Keto Kid

• Getbig IV
Injuries today
« on: May 12, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »
Why didn't guys back im the day get injured? You never heard about guys in the 70s tearing muscles? These days guys are tearing muscles all the time is it the drugs?

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Re: Injuries today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »
Higher dosages and higher weights... 

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »
humanity is degrading.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
Back in the day most of my lifting injuries (and the injuries of many others) were treated with Tiger Balm and that supposedly miraculous liquid that had a similar odor to fresh caught oysters ..... the name of which I have forgotten, but which may be familiar to most GetBiggers who have had muscle pain or injuries in the past.

(Has any GetBigger ever had the opportunity to visit "TIGER BALM GARDENS" in Hong Kong? An interesting place involved with an interesting story.)

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
Back in the day most of my lifting injuries (and the injuries of many others) were treated with Tiger Balm and that supposedly miraculous liquid that had a similar odor to fresh caught oysters ..... the name of which I have forgotten, but which may be familiar to most GetBiggers who have had muscle pain or injuries in the past.

(Has any GetBigger ever had the opportunity to visit "TIGER BALM GARDENS" in Hong Kong? An interesting place involved with an interesting story.)

DMSO and it made you smell like garlic

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:39:39 PM »
Drugs can make you stronger than you can ever be naturally in weeks. Sometimes the tendons can't adapt fast enough.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »
YEP, DMSO!  Thanks, DONKEY!

Is that stuff still being used today?

And did it really work or did my pain just drift away naturally?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 09:25:35 PM »
Why didn't guys back im the day get injured? You never heard about guys in the 70s tearing muscles? These days guys are tearing muscles all the time is it the drugs?

Quick answer is, mostly yes.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 09:27:52 PM »
Just a guess. but the advancement of technology and media sources might just play a part

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »
To much gear. To heavy weights (1-4 reps mostly). Sloppy form. Also to much reliance on dangerous movements like flat barbell bench presses.
MIRAGETROPIN

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 06:01:05 AM »
To much gear. To heavy weights (1-4 reps mostly). Sloppy form. Also to much reliance on dangerous movements like flat barbell bench presses.
Wait a min---flat barbell bench was the staple back then. Flat barbell, incline barbell bench, dumbbell bench, dumbbell flyes, etc.

megafitness

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 06:21:41 AM »
Wait a min---flat barbell bench was the staple back then. Flat barbell, incline barbell bench, dumbbell bench, dumbbell flyes, etc.
still is but most of to days pros move to machine press later on. nothing wrong with hammer machines.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 06:44:19 AM »
I feel like I hear more about repetitive use injuries in the old-school guys. They may not tear their packs of biceps, but they’re super high volume routines blew out there rotator cuff’s and elbows.

megafitness

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 07:18:47 AM »
I feel like I hear more about repetitive use injuries in the old-school guys. They may not tear their packs of biceps, but they’re super high volume routines blew out there rotator cuff’s and elbows.
yeh..no need for such volume.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »
I don't know what the answer is. Genetics is involved too. Many say used moderate weight and use volume with short rests between sets. In other words make a light weigh heavy. Chris Dickerson used this method and his joints are a wreck. Then again he lifted heavy early in his career. Now you have guys like Robby and Padilla whose joints are relatively perfect.

I think most would are using low reps with bone crushing weight for decades is a recipe for joint problems.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »

Its not like im saying i know everything but a weird fact that comes to light very often is that pec tears occur on the flat barbell bench press. I tore my right pec that way as well in 2004.
MIRAGETROPIN

ilalin

• Getbig IV
  • Боже правде
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »
drugs and pride