Author Topic: Reasons Why Low Carb Is The Way TO GO...  (Read 19460 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Reasons Why Low Carb Is The Way TO GO...
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2006, 10:34:45 AM »

Gee... I haven't seen anyone on either side of the argument post links to studies to back up their claims. (links to the actual studies, not "articles" in some mag or website)

Try the First Law of Thermodynamics.

If you have any questions on any of the material, I will gladly answer.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2006, 10:54:57 AM »
yes you have a basic understanding of the first law of thermondynamics but you dont understand anything about biochem or human physiology. you are a gearbox and blanket statements such as the first law of thermodynamics doesnt cover the multiple pathways and complexities of human chemistry and nutritional utilization. you need to stop and read what everyone has posted, ice cream is not a good food source and has many toxins etc, as well as not having good proportions of critical aminos. just like all lettuce is lettuce gearbox, organic food has less toxins and the nutrients are combined properly with cofactors to allow better metabolic synchronage. your law of thermodyamics also doesnt work very well in some situations but i assume your non-intellectual brain doesn't fathom cosmolgy or quantum physics. sub-atomical particles dont always adhere to the laws we have prescribed and they are nothing more then our best way to categorize observations. do some reading and you will put your mind at rest.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »
you will have cancer soon, and many degenerative diseases.

El_Spiko

• Getbig III
  • The freaky-geeky
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »

Gee... I haven't seen anyone on either side of the argument post links to studies to back up their claims. (links to the actual studies, not "articles" in some mag or website)
Essential amino acis and muscle protein recovery from resistance exercise Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283: E648-E657, 2002
The effect of Whey Protein Supplementation With and Without Creatine Monohydrate Combined With Resistance Training on Lean Tissue Mass and Muscle Strength International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2001, 11, 349-364
Effects pf postexercise carbohydrate-protein feedings on muscle glycogen restoration Journal of Applied Physiology 88:1976-1982, 2000
Amino acid ingestion improves muscle protein synthesis in the young and elderly Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286: E321-E328, 2004
Protein supplements and exercise American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2000;72:551S-7S

I only have hardcopies. I have found that journal articles are hard to come by online unless you are actually a researcher, so I don't have links. If someone does happen to have a university account with any of the journals, they could look them up or possibly even post them. Anyway, here are some studies. Where are Adonis'?
I min/max my physique

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »
here is something for you adonis.

http://www.johnberardi.com/index.htm

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/course/

there is a link to a free john beradi nutrition course.

maybe it can help you get on the right track.

bigfisk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2006, 07:56:45 PM »
this would be 70 grams of carbs grams! thats almost what I take in one week before a show.

Man that would probably make me very sick if I tried that long term.

idiotic

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2006, 11:13:58 PM »
Low carb is NOT the way to go! High protein, moderate-to-high carb and LOW FAT (but with good fats) done with organic foods, meats and vegetation, is the only healthy way to go! Learn why here from my friend's website:

http://www.musclenow.com/highfatdiet.html

Team Goodrum!

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2006, 07:55:06 AM »
But not alot. About 100 calories in a light beer. And for most people, they're not going to be drinking enough beer to send them out of a calorie deficit when they're only eating two or three times a day if that

Bums on the street and kids in college are most likely not drinking light beer.  And if a guy is averaging 5-6 beers a day it would only take about 2 average meals to put them over their daily intake level.  Forget the snacks that most people eat everyday.

I agree with TA that a calorie is a calorie and that you only need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.  It should be obvious by how many different diet programs that exist.  All have different principles, but all have one thing in common - calorie deficit.  The trick is to find a diet plan that doesn't leave you hungry or that doesn't allow you to eat some of the foods you enjoy - a tricky task.

If TA can lose weight while still eating the foods he enjoys and not feel hungry then he has a better chance for long term success than about 99% of the dieters out there that fail.

good luck TA.

PS low carbs definately works.  I lose weight quickly while on low carbs at a rate of nearly 5 pounds per week without getting hungry.  I eat mostly lean protein sources and vegetables while on a low carb diet.  But the problem with this diet is that it doesn't allow me to drink beer and eat pizza and lasagna and other foods I enjoy.  Hell,  I couldn't go to one of my kids football games yesterday and eat not one thing from their snack shacks while only eating lean mean and vegetables.  The world isn't set up to accomodate those who want to eat healthy regardless of what the food franchises preach.

Maldoror

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2006, 08:09:20 AM »
Found some links....

Protein supplements and exercise American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2000;72:551S-7S

Link: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/2/551S

The effect of Whey Protein Supplementation With and Without Creatine Monohydrate Combined With Resistance Training on Lean Tissue Mass and Muscle Strength International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2001, 11, 349-364
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11591884&dopt=Citation

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2006, 08:38:52 AM »

Bums on the street and kids in college are most likely not drinking light beer.  And if a guy is averaging 5-6 beers a day it would only take about 2 average meals to put them over their daily intake level.  Forget the snacks that most people eat everyday.

I agree with TA that a calorie is a calorie and that you only need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.  It should be obvious by how many different diet programs that exist.  All have different principles, but all have one thing in common - calorie deficit.  The trick is to find a diet plan that doesn't leave you hungry or that doesn't allow you to eat some of the foods you enjoy - a tricky task.

If TA can lose weight while still eating the foods he enjoys and not feel hungry then he has a better chance for long term success than about 99% of the dieters out there that fail.

good luck TA.

PS low carbs definately works.  I lose weight quickly while on low carbs at a rate of nearly 5 pounds per week without getting hungry.  I eat mostly lean protein sources and vegetables while on a low carb diet.  But the problem with this diet is that it doesn't allow me to drink beer and eat pizza and lasagna and other foods I enjoy.  Hell,  I couldn't go to one of my kids football games yesterday and eat not one thing from their snack shacks while only eating lean mean and vegetables.  The world isn't set up to accomodate those who want to eat healthy regardless of what the food franchises preach.

hmmm....once again a calorie IS NOT a calorie...open up your mind and except that fact...i dont care what they said on those weight watchers tv comercials.

all calories are metabolized differently...a person who gets 1500 calories a day from baked chicken and brocolli cant just replace that with 1500 calories from krispy kreme doughnuts and icream.

that is part of the reason so many misinformed people have trouble dieting....lets take the average housewife who needs to lose weight/bodyfat...they cut their calories without paying to their macronutrient levels as TA suggests...of course they can lose weight but most of the weight loss is from lean muscle tissue and water....as a result her metabolic rate drops...so now she needs to eat even less and she will start gaining fat.

i agree that very low or ketogenic diets are not the best choice for everyone...but for those who are trying to change their body composistion very low to moderate carb intake, paying attention to their macronutirents,  is the way to go.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:17 AM »
monster attempt by TA to make the competitors in Mr. getbig fat

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »
monster attempt by TA to make the competitors in Mr. getbig fat

ensuring victory!! lol that would be funny!!!!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2006, 11:36:16 AM »
Link: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/2/551S

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11591884&dopt=Citation

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
As far as I remember, Mike Mentzer also had similar beliefs concerning the idea that a calorie is a calorie as far as nutrition during dieting goes. At least I think it was him, he was making the other competitors pissed by eating ice cream backstage before a show and so on.

And as far as TA's claim that when the body is burning everything it gets, and that it doesn't matter in what form the calories come, I will say it's legit. The part about the thermodynamics is right. A combustible process of the same materials does not create different results. When you have a combustible reaction with any carbon-based material, you will get the same byproducts. Energy does not come in different forms when it's released by combustion. As long as the combustion is complete, it will be the same. Bear in mind, this is based solely on proven theories of energy storage. Everything around us is energy, that's what makes the A-bomb a possibility. The calories are there as a measure of how much energy is released when a certain amount of a material is burned. The calories quantify the amount of energy stored in a certain amount of a certain substance. The laws of thermodynamics does not work differently for different materials. I think TA is right, there are lots of home scientists that makes theories that nutrition is extremely complex when the reality isn't necessarily so. I am not saying that he is right altogether, but when the body burns everything it gets, thus using it as energy, the laws of thermodynamics apply.

Not only that, but when you burn any food, it will become two things after a complete combustion, carbon and energy (in the form of heat). The combustion in the body is no different. And yes, everything you eat are made from the same building blocks. When burned, every food produces the same byproducts! Energy, as we know, cannot be created nor disappear. This means that if there are extra energy created which the body does not use, it will have to be stored. How this is stored is where the nutrition aspect comes in. This is however a totally different story. When the body uses everything it gets in, it's as simple as I have outlined here. There is no other way. Disputing this is disputing nature itself and its laws, which is a very rocky road, indeed.

There is a saying that doing the same thing twice and expecting different results is the definition of stupidity.

Not to mention that the guy who claimed that as fat has more calories per gram than carbs,and subsequently making the claim that a calorie is not a calorie based on said claim, is clearly misled. The calories are the same, there are just more of them in a gram of fat than in a gram of carbs. That should be obvious at this point.

You have no clue..

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »

i agree that very low or ketogenic diets are not the best choice for everyone...but for those who are trying to change their body composistion very low to moderate carb intake, paying attention to their macronutirents,  is the way to go.

Ketogenic diets make you feel like shit and prevent your mind from working properly... you walk around all day like you're drugged-out. That might be okay if you're a kid or have some mindless job, but if you spend your days making decisions that can have significant consequences, keto is not an acceptable choice.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2006, 01:05:34 PM »
You have no clue..

What do you expect? I am fortunate to even have internet access on the North Pole.

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2006, 01:58:08 PM »
Ketogenic diets make you feel like shit and prevent your mind from working properly... you walk around all day like you're drugged-out. That might be okay if you're a kid or have some mindless job, but if you spend your days making decisions that can have significant consequences, keto is not an acceptable choice.

You have no clue either.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2006, 03:17:01 PM »

thats not true...talk to some people who have done low or keto diets for a while...most will report that they actually have better, more sustained energy levels.

the body does a very good job at using intramuscular triglyceride/fat and adipose fatty acids for energy...they are used only sparingly when carb intake is too high.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2006, 05:38:41 PM »

hmmm....once again a calorie IS NOT a calorie...open up your mind and except that fact...i dont care what they said on those weight watchers tv comercials.

all calories are metabolized differently...a person who gets 1500 calories a day from baked chicken and brocolli cant just replace that with 1500 calories from krispy kreme doughnuts and icream.

that is part of the reason so many misinformed people have trouble dieting....lets take the average housewife who needs to lose weight/bodyfat...they cut their calories without paying to their macronutrient levels as TA suggests...of course they can lose weight but most of the weight loss is from lean muscle tissue and water....as a result her metabolic rate drops...so now she needs to eat even less and she will start gaining fat.

A calorie is a calorie as far as weight loss or gain is concerned, but not in the case of health.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »

A calorie is a calorie as far as weight loss or gain is concerned, but not in the case of health.

from Lean Eating...pt 1

A Calorie Is Not A Calorie

While the gurus and pundits of the past believed that all calories were created equal, and while much of the current dietetics herd still believes it, I'm here to tell you why it just ain't true. To do so, I'll focus on three main arguments: the Thermic Effect of Feeding (TEF), cross-cultural studies, and the effects of isoenergetic diets using different foods.

The TEF, as I've said many times before, represents the additional caloric expenditure (above resting metabolism) that it takes to digest, absorb, and process the food you eat. Studies on the thermic effect of different foods have been important in describing the different effects of the macronutrients on metabolism.

The TEF lasts from between one to four hours after eating a meal. When adding up the thermic effects from each of your meals, this extra metabolism represents between 5% and 15% of your total daily energy expenditure. Therefore, if your daily energy expenditure is 3,000kcal, about 150 to 450kcal of that comes from the TEF. Interestingly, different macronutrients tend to have different effects on metabolism.

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2006, 03:04:01 AM »

Nonsense.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2006, 06:38:37 AM »
As a unit of heat goes a CALORIE WILL ALWAYS BE A CALORIE!

In a caloric defecit, ALL CALORIES WILL BE BURNED!

simple as that.

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2006, 07:02:38 AM »
As a unit of heat goes a CALORIE WILL ALWAYS BE A CALORIE!

Any scientist will agree to that, including me.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2006, 08:09:18 AM »
Any scientist will agree to that, including me.

yes but thats not the point.

a calorie of baked chicken and a calorie of chocolate cake are not metabolized the same way.

isnt that true?  yes

if you simply cut calories and pay not attention to macronutrients you will get fat.

isnt that true? yes

its pretty simple really.

tweeter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2006, 08:26:29 AM »
if you simply cut calories and pay not attention to macronutrients you will get fat.
How can you store fat if you are in a calorie deficit? If you burn more than you take in, what is your body using to make fat; does it just turn muscle into fat? Doesn't make sense to me.