Author Topic: Not much of a buzz going on any board about UFC 106  (Read 1803 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Not much of a buzz going on any board about UFC 106
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:10 AM »
Not one new thread here, or on G+O.

Was the card as awful as it looked?

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: Not much of a buzz going on any board about UFC 106
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
Good card, but it had no real meaning in the long run. No one will be a champ or get a shot at one, other then maybe KOS? Saunders looked killer, but it was against Davis. Not much to really talk about other then that IMO

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »
Not one new thread here, or on G+O.

Was the card as awful as it looked?

Actually, a lot of the fights were awesome.

Koscheck against Johnson was a great display of comeback and submission by Koscheck, man's got a lionheart.

Saunders had a thunderous knockout of Marcus Davis.

Kendall Grove was awesome against Rosholt.

Nog Jr was fcuking brilliant, early knockout with nice standup game against a solid standing fighter, can be threat in the light heavy in a few fights.

Thiago-Volkmann was a clinic in grappling-groundfighting. Entertaining fight IMO.

And last but not least - Amir Sadollah put on an absolute clinic of striking techniques in the final round against Phil Baroni.

Muay Thai all over Baroni. The commentators were salivating.

IMO, the card was actually one of the better this year, had it not been for the shit that Forrest and Tito displayed.

And Josh isn't supposed to be a headliner when fighting Anthony J already.

Reflection: Forrest hits like a girl.

He really does.

Tito walked around with his arms down in the last round, and allowed Forrest to hit him.

Forrest just couldn't take him out.

And FWIW, I think the decision was bullshit.

Tito won the first two rounds, and Tito knew that, and realised what pussy power Forrest has in his hands, and just tried to avoid getting mounted.

Oh, well. Not like I care that much. But Forrest is fucking done.

If he ever faces a real opponent with anything like power he will be damaged, for real.

I see a matchup between Forrest and Bisping as the most likely scenario unfortunately.

The two most undeserving blokes in the whole of UFC.
As empty as paradise

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
Your right, I guess drinking a lot will make your forget. Baroni did get worked, and I forgot how good lil nog looked. I want to see a lil nog, vs forrest fight now.. Groove really didnt make me say yay, but his triangle is deadly.. Koscheck fight pissed me off, the eye poke I think was intentional, but hey thats just my two cents. I had to watch the last two fights on a sloppy choppy stream which sucked...

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
I didn't see the fight so I can't comment-- but I feel Hedge is being a bit harsh on Forrest.

He has always fought top quality opponents- He now has wins against three all time greats in Rua, Ortiz and Rampage. He has a big heart and not much talent, but thats always been the case. He lost his last two fights to a previously undefeated Rashad, and then to the greatest striker in MMA history-- One guy who was undefeated at the time and another who probably is going to retire as unbeaten in the UFC.

I personally like him a lot because he always brings it. Against superior opponents chances are he is going to get destroyed ( Kind of Like Keith Jardines), but he's never going to duck anybody.

I feel that guys like Forrest and Jardines are necessary to the 205 weightclass as measuring sticks for upcoming fighters, to keep contenders honest and to occasionally generate a buzz.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
I didn't see the fight so I can't comment-- but I feel Hedge is being a bit harsh on Forrest.

He has always fought top quality opponents- He now has wins against three all time greats in Rua, Ortiz and Rampage. He has a big heart and not much talent, but thats always been the case. He lost his last two fights to a previously undefeated Rashad, and then to the greatest striker in MMA history-- One guy who was undefeated at the time and another who probably is going to retire as unbeaten in the UFC.

I personally like him a lot because he always brings it. Against superior opponents chances are he is going to get destroyed ( Kind of Like Keith Jardines), but he's never going to duck anybody.

I feel that guys like Forrest and Jardines are necessary to the 205 weightclass as measuring sticks for upcoming fighters, to keep contenders honest and to occasionally generate a buzz.

Forrest is a funny guy, but I think he will if he hasnt already become a gate keeper in the 205 division. I don't see him doing to good against the top comp. I know that he beat Page, but I don't think it woud happen again. Forrest I think has peaked at 205 and will never be top contender again. If it does happen I will eat my own words, but to many guys I see kicking the shit out of him. He is a good guy and will be a great gate keeper, but not enough power and not dominant at any one thing to be succesful for a long period of time at the top of the weight class. I would love to see a houston alexander forrest fight to though. Even though I think Forrest would kill him on the ground, I think Houston would have the edge in stand-up. But Forrest really abused Tito in round three.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 12:54:20 PM »
are there any videos?

I missed it yesterday, wouldn't mind seeing it.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
The thing in the 3rd round though, you could almost see how Tito realized Forrest not gonna be able to knock him out just got on the bicycle after one or two minutes.
It's almost so bad that I would like to get in the ring with boxing gloves against Forrest and see if he really strikes as weak as it looks.
No way in hell I'd do that with Anderson Silva or Rampage or Hendo.8)
As empty as paradise

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
There are videos, I'll pm them to whoever is interested later today.
Predictions
 40/61

James

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 06:47:10 AM »

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »
A lot of good fights on this card.  Hedge summed it up well.  I will say I was HUGELY disappointed with Tito.  I bought into the hype about him finally being back to his old form and instead he looked exactly how he did the last time he fought Forrest.  And to makes matters worse, he claims to still have back problems after spouting off for weeks about how he was 100% and that he had the best training camp ever.  A bunch of BS.  He totally gassed in the 3rd.  And then in the press conference he went on and on and on about how he put his heart soul int the fight.

Oh well.  I'm a tito fan so I hope he is able to make another run for the title, but after this fight, I don't think he is relevant anymore...
w

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
Yem, with all due respect I never really understand why you were such a fan of Tito's.  Sure, we all love confidence (especially if you can back it up)....  but Tito was really just the epitome of arrogance and cockiness?

And he has a history promising to bring his A-game and that he "is 100% healthy".  Then when he loses he blames injuries?  This time he had a bulging disc and fractured skull? Same old, same old.....

Just my 2 cents.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
I became a fan when I saw him coach on TUF.  The way that he coached the guys showed that he was much more than the self-centered arrogant prick that he portrays.  Also, he showed that he is really an insecure person with lots of self doubts who manages to push through his fears.  And finally, even though he's clearly not that smart, he did manage to take on the UFC/Dana and come back on his own terms.

It's too bad that he hasn't advanced his game in any way.  He's still relying on the old double leg takedown and G&P from the guard.  That's not going to be very effective against the top talent in the UFC...
w

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:23:19 PM »
Yem, with all due respect I never really understand why you were such a fan of Tito's.  Sure, we all love confidence (especially if you can back it up)....  but Tito was really just the epitome of arrogance and cockiness?

And he has a history promising to bring his A-game and that he "is 100% healthy".  Then when he loses he blames injuries?  This time he had a bulging disc and fractured skull? Same old, same old.....

Just my 2 cents.

That is probably the most annoying about him... pre fight, it's always, I'm 100% everything's amazing ,best camp ever!...as soon as he loses.... 'oh, my back/knee/shoulder/neck were fucked up, my skull was fractured, my c4,c5 and c6 were bust..bla bla bla'