Author Topic: STEVE REEVES- behind the scenes (only for getbiggers,,only on getbig!)  (Read 133890 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: STEVE REEVES- behind the scenes (only for getbiggers,,only on getbig!)
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2006, 07:19:44 AM »
The worst thing about boards such as this is that we are not accountable for our input.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2006, 08:41:41 AM »
you are a newcomer of sorts...hell...there are even veterans in denial...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
you are a newcomer of sorts...hell...there are even veterans in denial...

The problem with most of you on here is that you have no actual idea what you are talking about when it comes to what happened in the 50's, 60's, 70's and even the 80's.  You read or you hear it from someone who themselves weren't even there.  GH15 is not an expert at all.  To date not one person on GetBig knows who he is.  He talks allot and says allot but in reality he was not there.  I for one was there.  And I know Stuntmovie and have since 1989.  I know exactly his history in regards to bodybuilding.  He keep stelling me not to say some things as much as I want to.  But, I guarantee that there are NOT many people on Getbig that knows or has lived in the BB industry as long as he has.  His memory may be faded in somethings but in most it is perfect.  His stories blow mine away.  The pictures he has and the memories he has are unmatched by few.  GH15 does say allot of stuff on here expecting everyone to just take his word for it.  Yet in most cases he has no proof or even met the people he is talking about.  How old is he.  NO ONE knows who he is.  He would be allot more crediable if just one person knew who he was and we knew who that person was.

WHats funny on here is that if someone has any muscle at all, most people think they are on steroids.  It funny as hell.  I was 247 fairly ripped and very strong before I took anything.  Steve Reeves was not big at all.  He looked great.  But he does not have a steroid users body.  Not everyone is stupid.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2006, 04:08:53 AM »
onlyme...you have been arund the block a couple of hundred times ..and i'm sure u are familiar with the stuff bbers took so when gh15 comes with very specific stuff you still don't buy it?...i talked about what gh15 is writing about with one of the top pro's from late 80's early 90's and confirmed everysingle one of the things he talked about...i think he is so on point it's childish to argue it.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2006, 06:45:20 AM »
Onlyme's identity was revealed on these forums, no secret.

Stuntmovie's identity has not been revealed on the forums, though through personal communication with Stuntmovie and Onlyme's endorsement of Stuntmovie, and by knowing a bit about the history of this iron endeavor, I am usually able to catch the scratches in the falsetto speech of most people. So far I have been unable to snare Stuntmovie's statements, and I am convinced he has played a major role in the evolution of the events he addresses.

Because a substance existed during someone's lifetime does not prove who may have used that substance -whether it was steroids or soda pop.

I have no idea whether Reeves used steroids- I suspect he did not. My position requires me to prove nothing. The affirmative has the burden of proof, and innuendo and suspicion and rumor do not compose truth, no matter who offers them as such.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2006, 08:50:02 AM »
joe roark..what do you think about the rumours that steve reeves was bisexual?

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2006, 01:00:38 PM »
I think rumours are rumors however it is bi-spelled.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2006, 01:26:38 PM »
onlyme...the fact that u question what gh15 is writing about shows how little you know about nutrition and hormones. period.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2006, 02:29:15 PM »
I think rumours are rumors however it is bi-spelled.

thanks, life is about learning.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2006, 06:06:14 PM »
Back in 1999....I met a gentleman that had finished behind Steve Reeves in a contest.  I didn't recognize his name & actually we started talking about bodybuilding in passing as we were both waiting.  I did look up his name later & he was infact who he said he was.  He was friends of Steve's & recently visited him at his ranch.  He went on & on how no one was built like steve especially his broad shoulders & narrow waist that gave him that V-Taper look.  He knew a lot of the other old timers pretty well & only entered one contest out of encouragement by Steve & other friends.  He felt he just wasn't good enough so after the one contest, ended his competitive desires.

I made a comment on how things back then were natural & how those guys could build a physique w/o any chemical influence like guys today.

He looked at me, shook his head & said that he knew first hand that this wasn't so.  I was shocked...actually I had that "what?" look on my face & he just said "Oh...don't get me wrong....it's not like what you're thinking....it was purely experimentation back then".

Needless to say...it changed my whole outlook on bodybuilding from that day forward.  His wife walked up & said "what are you talking about"....he replied..."the old days of bodybuilding".  She confirmed that her husband was one of the old guys from the muscle beach era.

I always believe Steve was natural up to this point.  This guy also claimed to be a close friends, talked close details about Steve & his Ranch, so I doubt he would lie....but you never can tell about people you meet in casual conversations.  His wife sealed the fact that they were friends of Steve....but wasn't standing right there when the talk of steroids was being talked about.

My mind was changed right then & there....but you know something....it doesn't really matter to me.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2006, 07:27:11 PM »
onlyme...the fact that u question what gh15 is writing about shows how little you know about nutrition and hormones. period.

#1 no where ever have I said I was an expert on anything especially nutrition or hormones.  I did what I did and got what I got.  All I did was lift.  If Ric Zumwalt never told me to take steroids cause everyone else was I would have never even thought about it.  And even when I did all I took was Test 200mg Cyp.  Nothing else.  Diet or nutrition, never had to worry about it.  I weighed 300 lbs at my top shape and was athletic enough and limber enough to bench close to 600, do the splits, waterski, compete in A & B racquetball contests and still put my leg behind my head.  I just did what I did.  I didn't need to pay attention to stuff.  All I needed to do was be strong and quick.  And I think I was.  GH15, you and I bet most others know more than me about nutrition, roids, hormones or just about anything else.  But, knowing all that doesn't mean much unless it is applied or used.  Like most things in life for me everythign came natural.  I don't need to think to do allot of things I just do them.

All the talk people do on here about how much and what kind of roid should I take or train this way or train that way,do this or do that means nothign to me.  I just do it.  And in the majority of instances I will or at least would have beaten anyone who did all this thinking crap. 

GH15 I can tell knows his shit about some stuff.  The problem I am having this time is how he is talking about a true legend like Steve like he 100% knows cause he was there shooting Steve up himslef. I would be surprsied if he even eve met Steve.  Then I listen to Stuntmovie who I know knew Steve and I know that he is 100% truthful cause he has no reason to lie and generally has proof say Steve did not, I have to go with Stunt.  Maybe just maybe Steve experimented with them but in no way did they do anything to make him look the way he looked.  He was not a massive guy at all.

Anyway, from last reports I thought Steve was dead and I find it pretty low for GH15 to come on here and talk about a guy who from most if not all angles looked like a great guy with a great build. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2006, 08:35:18 PM »
Amen!, Brother Keith! Well stated!

Only, did you know Ralph Countryman? Just got a phone call that he is not doing too well healthwise. Anyone got an accurate update?

Knny, there are only a handful of guys still living who actually trained and hung with Reeves back in the 40's and if the individual you spoke to lives in Las Vegas, he is truthful about his association with Steve but I would be surprised if he had personal knowledge about the subject matter and Steve's use of same.

As most of you know, George Eiffferman (Las Vegas) was close to Reeves but we were asked to keep the info on  Reeves passing from him because it would have hit him hard and he was already in bad enough shape in the hospital, so I know it wasn't GE.

Thanks for your input, Knny.

For one and all... Is Jack Dillenger still among the living? Roy Hilligen? Clancy Ross?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2006, 01:56:21 AM »
kudos for your acomplishments keith...i played A racquetball too...it's a great sport. I trully believe both reeves and grimek experimented with hormones and i think gh15 even offered to have someone call the zieglers to confirm it.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »
I believe the stuff(aas) has been around for a while, and if Reeves and Grimek experimented, whats the big deal? People are making it sound like the Pope was caught performing satanic rituals or something...

Reeves was a great bber with a great physique, and he represented bbing very, very well. What he did or didnt do in his life, is his, and his family's and friends biz.

Man passed on, respect the memory.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2006, 07:27:43 AM »
I believe the stuff(aas) has been around for a while, and if Reeves and Grimek experimented, whats the big deal? People are making it sound like the Pope was caught performing satanic rituals or something...

Reeves was a great bber with a great physique, and he represented bbing very, very well. What he did or didnt do in his life, is his, and his family's and friends biz.

Man passed on, respect the memory.
excellent point...however...GH15's point was shedding light on what bodybuilding really IS !...Not what we think it is.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2006, 08:38:38 AM »
excellent point...however...GH15's point was shedding light on what bodybuilding really IS !...Not what we think it is.

No beef with what gh15 is stating.

What I'm trying to say is, if indeed Reeves took aas, or God-forbid(for all the purists)Grimek did too, I'm not shocked nor surprised, and understand its a part of bbing.
Reeves with or without hormones had great genes, if he took aas I find it informative too, but some people are starting to belittle an individual that did no wrong to the sport, quite the opposite, and as far as I know, his public persona was one very well carried, that gave bbing a lot of good cred.
As I said before, what he did to achieve what he did, is irrelevant, and the other dude asking if he was bi, what kind of q is that? If he was, do you really wanna know, and who cares?

As I said, take it as a given he took/administered hormones, no big deal , and respect a good embassador of bbing's memory.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2006, 08:49:41 AM »
I was under the impression that the History section here at GetBig was for facts and not a place for innuendo and suspicion and rumor?

If Reeves took drugs, then offer proof, not second or third hand 'reportings' of this man told that man that he heard... If you cannot offer proof, then your case will fall on its own lack of merit.

There are several sections on GetBig where blathering is tolerated, and sometimes seems to cancer on itself and multiply. This section hopefully can be different from those areas.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2006, 10:03:45 AM »
I was under the impression that the History section here at GetBig was for facts and not a place for innuendo and suspicion and rumor?

If Reeves took drugs, then offer proof, not second or third hand 'reportings' of this man told that man that he heard... If you cannot offer proof, then your case will fall on its own lack of merit.

There are several sections on GetBig where blathering is tolerated, and sometimes seems to cancer on itself and multiply. This section hopefully can be different from those areas.

You are right Joe and I try to keep all the bullshit out of here but this thread is something to talk about.  And there are always two sides to a story.  And from that a conclusion can be made by all.  SO far we have a few saying Reeves took roids and a few saying no.  The people who are saying no are people who actually were invovled with BB back in those days and lived them while the people pointing towards Reeves using are young basically using what they heard or believe.  Nowadays it seems people think that if you have any muscle at all you must be on roids.  I find that very funny.  But, hey these opinions usually come from people who aren't really involved or know much more than what they read or hear ina locker room.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2006, 11:03:31 AM »
You are right Joe and I try to keep all the bullshit out of here but this thread is something to talk about.  And there are always two sides to a story.  And from that a conclusion can be made by all.  SO far we have a few saying Reeves took roids and a few saying no.  The people who are saying no are people who actually were invovled with BB back in those days and lived them while the people pointing towards Reeves using are young basically using what they heard or believe.  Nowadays it seems people think that if you have any muscle at all you must be on roids.  I find that very funny.  But, hey these opinions usually come from people who aren't really involved or know much more than what they read or hear ina locker room.

True.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »
Amen!, Brother Keith! Well stated!

Only, did you know Ralph Countryman? Just got a phone call that he is not doing too well healthwise. Anyone got an accurate update?

Knny, there are only a handful of guys still living who actually trained and hung with Reeves back in the 40's and if the individual you spoke to lives in Las Vegas, he is truthful about his association with Steve but I would be surprised if he had personal knowledge about the subject matter and Steve's use of same.

As most of you know, George Eiffferman (Las Vegas) was close to Reeves but we were asked to keep the info on  Reeves passing from him because it would have hit him hard and he was already in bad enough shape in the hospital, so I know it wasn't GE.

Thanks for your input, Knny.

For one and all... Is Jack Dillenger still among the living? Roy Hilligen? Clancy Ross?

Hey Stunt,

This was back in 99 & the guy was in his 70's.  He may be dead now....but back then he was very much a live.  He lived (back then) in the Grossmont/La Mesa/Alpine area.  Not exactly sure of the exact area because it's been so long.  He told me about Steve's ranch in Escondido or I believe it was more located in the Valley Center area. 

The thing is....I had a hard time not believing him because most old guys just don't exaggerate or make stuff up.  I asked him if he knew Bill Golumbick because he competed around that time frame & owned Parkway Fitness (which is a cool old gym in La Mesa).  He confirmed he knew who he was but said he competed & came on the scene 'after' him in time frame. 

Who knows Stunt....it really doesn't matter.  Alot of these older guys are passing away now & a bit of iron history is slipping away.  What I will say....is the older we get....I know for a fact our views of history & exactly how it happened can be distorted.  Not saying this guy was losing his mind....but maybe he was mistaken.  He seemed to have such great admiration for Steve...so I doubt he was saying such things just in spite of him.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2006, 07:21:06 PM »
Thanks, Knny. Your post made my mind start thinking and this could turn out to be a worthwhile idea providing we could ID the bullshit, the rumors, and the facts about the "sport" as such before we make a submission.

We could start with the 40's and work up through the  years from there and ID each statement we make as a definite fact (DF), a rumor (R), a somebody told me this (STMT), or an "as I think I remember it this way (ITIRITW).

A totally bullshit statement would be ID'd as "total bullshit" (TB).

There are still enough people on here that could submit enough information to document the true history of bodybuilding from the 40's onward.

We'd have to rely on Bill Starr and Jeff Everson to complete the story if we wanted to go back through history any further. Many years ago I gave Jeff volumns of physical culture publications that went way back to the early 1900's. Some of it was pretty wierd stuff that would be humorous and interesting reading today. I'll stop by and see if I can do the research.

I'll set up a new topic tonite and hope that enough of us can submit enough factual details over time that will offer a REAL documentaion about this sport of Bodybuilding.

I think I can start with 1921 .........

Jay Em

• Getbig II
  • The iron bug may rust... but will never die!
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2006, 07:32:59 PM »
I met George Eiferman in his gym in Las Vegas in the early 90s.

I introduced myself, told him of my background in the field, etc.,
and we ended up discussing many things, much of which centered
around how the iron game WAS and how it had...ummm...
progressed. The one distinct thing I recall George saying (after
bringing up the impact of drugs on the sport, as in competition),
was he said something to the effect that he knew everyone
couldn't be a Steve Reeves but drugs weren't the answer (in
a comparative analogy to older, simpler, less complicated and
competitive times).

The objective journalist in me immediately shot back: "Steve Reeves
of course never took drugs?"

George shot back just as quick with a good natured smirk on his face.
"Are you kidding; with his genetics? Besides, Steve was really into
natural health and foods and the physical culture aspect of body-
building. He would have never taken drugs, especially to impact his
own hormone (test) levels." He said a few other things in basic support
of that; things like he and Steve were close friends; that they had
fun, especially with women, but that even liquor was a distant stranger
to his lips, as well as some so-called cutting edge nutritional products.
He finished it off with something like Reeves treated his body like a
temple. That he would have been the LAST person to even try
something like drugs.

Now, of course, my above quote was not word for word, but it's pretty
close and captures the jest of what he said. George was a very nice,
soft spoken guy and had a reputation that was not tarnished in the
least. And he and Steve were close buddies. Yet, George wasn't the
type of guy to lie; he probably couldn't have if a gun was put to his
head. His integrity was without question.

And George and Steve were buds throughout Steve's competitive
career. Keep in mind too that back in those times and up to the time
I met George, steroids were legal. In otherwords, taking drugs would
have had no lawful or legal impact, therefore, no consequences. If
Reeves would have taken, used, tried, experimented in any way, George
would have known; and if he (Reeves) did, George would have simply
said so.

Also, if Reeves tried the stuff, don't you think others, especially in the
competitive arena would have said so. Listen, in that small community
(bodybuilding) someone would have known and it would have gotten out,
and about. Those other bodybuilders had enough to worry about Reeves'
genetics, let alone outside, artifical  enhancements.

I don't share this lightly...but I visited the Reeves Ranch after his death,
taking pictures and doing an extensive expose. I also talked to some
people close to Reeves, including caretakers and even his horse vet.
Steve was actually quite a health fanatic and it was obvious all over the
place, including those who knew him best, including his life partner. He was
so incredibly fussy he had to make his own protein drinks from scratch; he
didn't trust others that much when it came to his own body. He was, shall
we say, extremely conservative and cautious. And he was very proud, strong.

Back in the 80s when he contracted with MD magazine (when they were
calling themselves "Natural") to provide articles and his own limited product
line (extremely modest), he left after they (MD) once again changed their
focus away from the natural to more mainstream. He was strict, legit and
the real deal. Look back at some of those issues and read, my friends. He
hated what drugs had done to the sport and made his opinions very clear.

I'll share something else, when I was editor of Muscle Digest (early 80s),
I had heard through the grapevine that Steve wouldn't even lend his name
to nutritional products because he may not have believed in them or taken
them. The guy couldn't be bought. He was seemingly an extremely straight
shooter. Drugs did not fit into his philosophy. Naturally, truly fit did, but with
hard work and absolute dedication. Drugs to Reeves were totally counter-
dictory to why he started bodybuilding in the first place.   

Steve also does NOT fit the profile of a user, in any amounts, in any way.
He also never showed any, as the law refers to, as...patterns of behavior.

Patterns of behavior is used in courts all the time and helps to establish
a timeline of possibles and probables. The mental and medical communities
also use patterns of behavior to help establish facts and ascertain truths
from untruths.

Reeves never has in his personal profile any patterns of behavior that would
indicate or even suggest that he may have been a drug (steroid) user or
even experimentor. It doesn't even romotely fit his M.O.

However, his entire life does illustrate patterns of behavior that suggest
just the opposite. We could go on and on.

In my opinion and I believe in a profound way, this topic does not even
dignify a discourse or argument. It simply is without any logic or merit.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2006, 08:29:55 PM »
Well put, Jay. Thanks.

I, too, knew George. In fact I spent some time with him and his new wife in Hawaii and got to know them well.

Once evening we were at an event on the Island of Oahu and Mrs Eiffeman was sitting by my side and grabbed my hand and said, "George and I really appreciate your friendship, ______ , and I hope you don't get too embarassed in these next few moments."

Then George went on stage and took the microphone from Steve and asked me to step on stage and receive a token of his friendship. After a few kind words with me scuffing my feet in front of him, he gave me a silver medallion with his likeness on the front and some commemorative remarks on the back.

Then Mrs Eifferman gave me a big hug and whispered "Thank you for everything from both of us! You're only one of a very few that he's given that medallion to".

Later on I heard that Steve Reeves had one also.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2006, 05:14:52 AM »
this has become a very interesting discussion.

i know zero facts and i haven't talked to an actual witness like knny so i won't comment.

i agree with figo. i don't care.

reeves was a pioneer of bbing adn fitness along with grimek. whether they took test, speed, smack, alcohol, coffee, cocaine (well, if they ever took cough syrup or drank cocacola back then we can confirm they took cocaine) or chocolate; it doesn't change my perspective.

they were legends, period!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2006, 11:31:24 AM »
I met George Eiferman in his gym in Las Vegas in the early 90s.

I introduced myself, told him of my background in the field, etc.,
and we ended up discussing many things, much of which centered
around how the iron game WAS and how it had...ummm...
progressed. The one distinct thing I recall George saying (after
bringing up the impact of drugs on the sport, as in competition),
was he said something to the effect that he knew everyone
couldn't be a Steve Reeves but drugs weren't the answer (in
a comparative analogy to older, simpler, less complicated and
competitive times).

The objective journalist in me immediately shot back: "Steve Reeves
of course never took drugs?"

George shot back just as quick with a good natured smirk on his face.
"Are you kidding; with his genetics? Besides, Steve was really into
natural health and foods and the physical culture aspect of body-
building. He would have never taken drugs, especially to impact his
own hormone (test) levels." He said a few other things in basic support
of that; things like he and Steve were close friends; that they had
fun, especially with women, but that even liquor was a distant stranger
to his lips, as well as some so-called cutting edge nutritional products.
He finished it off with something like Reeves treated his body like a
temple. That he would have been the LAST person to even try
something like drugs.

Now, of course, my above quote was not word for word, but it's pretty
close and captures the jest of what he said. George was a very nice,
soft spoken guy and had a reputation that was not tarnished in the
least. And he and Steve were close buddies. Yet, George wasn't the
type of guy to lie; he probably couldn't have if a gun was put to his
head. His integrity was without question.

And George and Steve were buds throughout Steve's competitive
career. Keep in mind too that back in those times and up to the time
I met George, steroids were legal. In otherwords, taking drugs would
have had no lawful or legal impact, therefore, no consequences. If
Reeves would have taken, used, tried, experimented in any way, George
would have known; and if he (Reeves) did, George would have simply
said so.

Also, if Reeves tried the stuff, don't you think others, especially in the
competitive arena would have said so. Listen, in that small community
(bodybuilding) someone would have known and it would have gotten out,
and about. Those other bodybuilders had enough to worry about Reeves'
genetics, let alone outside, artifical  enhancements.

I don't share this lightly...but I visited the Reeves Ranch after his death,
taking pictures and doing an extensive expose. I also talked to some
people close to Reeves, including caretakers and even his horse vet.
Steve was actually quite a health fanatic and it was obvious all over the
place, including those who knew him best, including his life partner. He was
so incredibly fussy he had to make his own protein drinks from scratch; he
didn't trust others that much when it came to his own body. He was, shall
we say, extremely conservative and cautious. And he was very proud, strong.

Back in the 80s when he contracted with MD magazine (when they were
calling themselves "Natural") to provide articles and his own limited product
line (extremely modest), he left after they (MD) once again changed their
focus away from the natural to more mainstream. He was strict, legit and
the real deal. Look back at some of those issues and read, my friends. He
hated what drugs had done to the sport and made his opinions very clear.

I'll share something else, when I was editor of Muscle Digest (early 80s),
I had heard through the grapevine that Steve wouldn't even lend his name
to nutritional products because he may not have believed in them or taken
them. The guy couldn't be bought. He was seemingly an extremely straight
shooter. Drugs did not fit into his philosophy. Naturally, truly fit did, but with
hard work and absolute dedication. Drugs to Reeves were totally counter-
dictory to why he started bodybuilding in the first place.   

Steve also does NOT fit the profile of a user, in any amounts, in any way.
He also never showed any, as the law refers to, as...patterns of behavior.

Patterns of behavior is used in courts all the time and helps to establish
a timeline of possibles and probables. The mental and medical communities
also use patterns of behavior to help establish facts and ascertain truths
from untruths.

Reeves never has in his personal profile any patterns of behavior that would
indicate or even suggest that he may have been a drug (steroid) user or
even experimentor. It doesn't even romotely fit his M.O.

However, his entire life does illustrate patterns of behavior that suggest
just the opposite. We could go on and on.

In my opinion and I believe in a profound way, this topic does not even
dignify a discourse or argument. It simply is without any logic or merit.

good post

I agree with you....except I am still baffled by two things....one....the line I highlighted & two, the conversation that I had with the other gentleman.

I think to believe Steve was natural but not 100% & still believe he would try things atleast once out of natural curiosity & not knowing that it couldn't be anything different (at the time) than another training herb or supplement.

I will say your post was very well written & you seemed to search for some actual facts w/o actually talking to Steve himself.  Your findings just may be 100% spot on.