Author Topic: Current playoff system creating upsets but hurting the NFL & regular season?  (Read 2615 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
BTW, is this the first Super Bowl in history WITHOUT a #1-seeded team from either conference?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
BTW, is this the first Super Bowl in history WITHOUT a #1-seeded team from either conference?

Negative.

body88

I thought NY vs Pit would have been a big draw considering how well the Steelers travel.

It would. Even though Pitt is not a major media market, New York is, and the Steelers have enough national fans to draw huge numbers.  If a team like the NYG and NE play in a superbowl, not only will you draw from each teams huge fan bases, you are going to draw from two MAJOR media markets.  You can charge more for this.

Major Media markets:
NYC
LA

Philly
Chicago
Boston
Dallas-Ft Worth
Houston/Galveston
Miami
Atlanta
Washington
SF

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
The NFL makes out best when teams in major markets get sb bids.  NY vs NE last year for example.  Major media markets = companies spending major coin (more than normal) to advertise during the game.  The NFL's wet dream would be NE vs Dallas, or the NYJ vs NYG.

the second highest rated super bowl was between pittsburgh and seattle

the large market thing only applies to other sports, which is why baseball doesn't want a cap

E
E

body88

the second highest rated super bowl was between pittsburgh and seattle

the large market thing only applies to other sports, which is why baseball doesn't want a cap

E

Let me explain....  There is no way to tell how a SB will perform in regards to ratings before the actual game is played (when the advertsing space is sold), so when an AE from (insert network) approaches say Bank Of America with a sponsorship pitch, they can base their inflated prices on the markets in which the sb teams will draw from.  A NY vs NE sb will be far more desirable to advertisers before the actual game (when the ad space is sold) than a Pitt/Seattle match up.  Both New York and Boston are top ten markets in the US.  What I am talking about has nothing to do with salary caps.  Post sb numbers mean little since they cannot be predicted before the game.  Also, most major companies target the markets that I listed.  I know that this is true because I have worked with companies that purchased :30 second commercial spots during the last sb. 

A typical pitch to a person like me from a network ae could go one of two ways (basic version):

1.) Hello, I am calling from CBS and I would like to talk to you about a sponsorship opportunity during the upcoming superbowl.  Pittsburg will be playing Seattle, and as you know, the steelers have a huge fanbase and we are expecting huge ratings.  This could be a great opportunity for you company to reach all the major male demos on the national stage.

Sounds great right, but how about this one:

2.) Hello, I am calling from CBS and I would like to talk to you about a sponsorship opportunity during the upcoming superbowl between the NYG and the NE Patriots.  As you know, the sb is a huge draw for American males, and is a once in a lifetime opportunity to brand your company on the largest stage of them all.  Also, since NE and NY are such major advertising markets for your audience, not only can I guarantee that you will reach a huge national audience, I can guarantee that you will reach huge chunks of the population in two of your most important markets.  Not only do both teams have a huge national following, but you are guaranteed to do some major damage where you spend the bulk of your advertising dollars currently.

I am willing to pay a premium for the second option.  The NFL cares about money, plain and simple.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Negative.

I'm drawing a blank, because I can't remember which Super Bowl had two teams, neither of which was the top seed of its conference.

Last year, the Pats were #1
in '06, it was the Bears
'05....Seahawks
'04, Eagles
'03 Patriots
'02, Da Raiders
'01....the Rams
'00, The Giants
1999, St. Louis Rams
'98.....Broncos
.......GOT IT!!!!

It was 1997: #2 Packers vs. #4 Broncos

body88

I'm drawing a blank, because I can't remember which Super Bowl had two teams, neither of which was the top seed of its conference.

Last year, the Pats were #1
in '06, it was the Bears
'05....Seahawks
'04, Eagles
'03 Patriots
'02, Da Raiders
'01....the Rams
'00, The Giants
1999, St. Louis Rams
'98.....Broncos
.......GOT IT!!!!

It was 1997: #2 Packers vs. #4 Broncos

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

:'(

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
Waaaaaaa!

That's just how it goes. The current system would not be able to support a 3rd wildcard team.

Simply put, win your division, no matter what the record, and you control your own destiny for the playoffs. End of discussion.
Agreed. I like the system. For years people complained that the 9ers had an easy division and weren't real champions. But they beat up other teams just as bad. Win your division. That's the only concern a team should have for each season.