Author Topic: Bose systems worth the price?  (Read 3436 times)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Re: Bose systems worth the price?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 01:13:43 AM »
Bose is fine for a bedroom. For the main movie-watching room you definitely want to go with a receiver and speakers. I did a ton of research when I was putting together my home theater set-up last year. I disagree with the comment above about not noticing the difference of good speakers after a while. I am constantly impressed by how much better movies are, even ones I have seen many times before. A movie's audio is half the experience. I initially considered Bose but the components are not upgradable, and some Bose systems use hardwired cables instead of standard speaker cable (so if the cables are not long enough or need to be replaced, you're screwed).
You want to start with the best receiver you can afford, then the best subwoofer you can afford, then your front, center, and rears ( which don't have to be expensive). I went with a Denon receiver, an SVS sub, and Pioneer FS52 speakers. The best thing about going this route is that each piece can be upgraded whenever needed. With Bose what you get is what you get.

I had a look at your components. Looks great and I might even get the Pioneer speakers and Denon receiver, but the SVS sub will put a dent in the budget. The reason I'm not dropping more on this is that I'm not THAT much of an enthusiast. I like great quality but small and easy to hide. I hate clutter and shit standing everywhere. Which is why a soundbar would've been ideal, or even great bookshelf speakers. I know someone guys would rather have Aids than listen to cheap quality sound but I swear I don't hear much of a difference. I just want a good system with minimalist style and decent quality at the price point (or maybe a bit more) I specified.

macos

• Getbig IV
  • Jamie Dimon get some $$ please.
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »
I'm looking at getting a decent surround sound system for my new TV.

Been looking at Bose systems and read great things, but the price makes me wonder whether it's worth it over a Sony/Samsung/Pioneer offering. Only 5.1 as 7.1 will make the room too cluttered. Anyone know anything that's comparable with Bose but would be better value? Or shall I just suck it up and drop a grand on it.

Bodybuilding related: I'll be playing Celine Dion through it whilst practicing my rear glute pose

Bose os worth the money any day!!!
$

insanity_bb

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »
http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

Yup. Warning: frequent viewing of this message board will make you think $9,000 systems are mediocre and normal.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
If you want the best music system in the world you have to go Scottish and buy a Linn system.
My Linn Klimax Exakt system is amazing to say the least.

If you are on a budget you can get a starter Linn system for less than $4000.

Abacab

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »
Go big or go home:

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
Bose is good but if you can afford go with Bang&Olufsen

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
is there anything that isolates and amplifies the dialogue?  my dad is getting older and whenever he visits he bitches that the background noise and music is so loud he can't hear what the goddamm sonsabiches are saying.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »
is there anything that isolates and amplifies the dialogue?  my dad is getting older and whenever he visits he bitches that the background noise and music is so loud he can't hear what the goddamm sonsabiches are saying.

Many receivers have "Night Mode, which amplifies dialogue while at the same time reducing higher-level sounds like explosions and gunshots. It is intended to allow someone to watch movies at a low volume at night without disturbing others, but if your dad used it at regular volume he would get the dialogue louder than the rest of the movie.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »
is there anything that isolates and amplifies the dialogue?  my dad is getting older and whenever he visits he bitches that the background noise and music is so loud he can't hear what the goddamm sonsabiches are saying.

Haha I can remember my grandmother saying the exact same thing with my grandfathers audio system. :)

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »
Many receivers have "Night Mode, which amplifies dialogue while at the same time reducing higher-level sounds like explosions and gunshots. It is intended to allow someone to watch movies at a low volume at night without disturbing others, but if your dad used it at regular volume he would get the dialogue louder than the rest of the movie.

awesome!  thank you

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
Haha I can remember my grandmother saying the exact same thing with my grandfathers audio system. :)

getting old sux!!