Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 551029 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #600 on: June 13, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
NEED SOME HELP HERE IF POSSIBLE!

The person in the center of this photo (blue shirt) was a friend of mine many years back. During the "war years" we changed duty stations and lost contact.

He was/is a great natural bodybuilder and I will post some of his photos soon.

Anyone know him, pls ask him to contact me through this site.  THANKS

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #601 on: June 13, 2005, 02:01:42 PM »
Here's a better shot for ID purposes .....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #602 on: June 13, 2005, 08:58:25 PM »
First shot........ Anyone see this guy roller bladeing down the highway or jumping from real high objects, pls have him report to GetBig.com and contact me.  (Old time military friend who got losted).

And the second photo is a picture of Doc Neely and Dave Rogers and his family when he was competing a while back at the nationals. This one was shot in Santa Monica just up the hill from the original Muscle Beach.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #603 on: June 13, 2005, 09:12:45 PM »
Here's Gary backstage at the Santa Monica Auditorium. He either won this year or the next.
I forget. Looks like Gary's little brother got in this shot.

Haven't seen Gary in a long while but the last time I spoke with him on the phone, he had just found his way out of some forest that he was "lost in" for a few days.

I don't really understand how you can get lost in any forest but he claims it did happen.

But I got to admit that one friend of mine decided to take a hike through some tropical forest down in South America and ended up lost and  living in that forest for almost one whole year.

His dad hired a group who went in to find him and drag him out and they did manage to get it done, but he put up a good fight as he did not want to leave. 

He was an unreal bodybuilder when he entered and came out ripped to shreads kicken and scream'en. I'll try to find some pics I got of him when he was training for Bodybuilding while Bill Starr was coaching a group of Olympic and powerlifters.

If I told you this complete story, you wouldn't believe it anyway.

First picture is Gary and BRO?  This second pic is Tito.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #604 on: June 13, 2005, 09:26:43 PM »
I think this first shot is interesting because there are relatively few photos of this great bodybuilder (in his day).

This particular photo was taken at the Embassy Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles.

If I am not mistaken, Gene Mozee was the MC at this event. (Right, Gene?)

And I blieve that this shot was taken one year before John Corvello won the Cal title and everyone expected a big battle for that title between Mr "X" and John.

Once again, if I am not mistaken, Larry Scott took a lot of pride in getting this individual prepped for the Cal that year.

Any corrections would be apprecaited.

Second shot was taken in Hawaii. This winner was a Marine who played football and decided to enter a bodybuilding contest a few weeks before the event. As a result of winning this contest the Corp gave him a job running a small base gym. More on this subject later.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #605 on: June 13, 2005, 09:40:20 PM »
Keep em coming Stunt. 

Does anyone have any pics of Bill Burney,  I went to school with him and he ended up winning some shows.  They would be back in the 80's

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #606 on: June 13, 2005, 10:05:19 PM »
Sorry, I did know Bill, but never had an occasion to take a picture. Joe might be more helpful here.

OK, Only, lots  of great stories here. (See photo below.)

I'll let you start.  I really loved this guy! Curtis was one of the outstanding individuals that God placed on this earth.

But He didn't stay around long enough.......

This is a photo of a smaller version of this great individual who loved this sport entirely.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #607 on: June 13, 2005, 10:34:29 PM »
Curtis was a good friend but he had better friends than me.

I was always telling him stuff that his best friends did not want him to hear.

I figure that it's best not to tell someone how "great" he is, but it's more better" to point out one's weakness.

It's easier to improve one's weakness and very difficult to improve one's greatness.

So I was always saying stuff  that good friends did not want to hear.

But Curtis himself understood and took most advise graciously. But many others didn't.

We all still miss Curtis a lot. He was a great person who made his mark upon this sport and none of us who knew him well will ever forget him. He was among the very best I've had the honor of meeting.

No Curtis in the pics below but here are a couple more before I call it a night.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #608 on: June 14, 2005, 12:44:43 PM »
More old pic posting.....

Photo with Cory in it was taken at World Gym in Waikiki with the partners shortly after it opened. Crazy time there! Bodybuilding was at its peak.

Second shot was taken in LV but I forgot what contest it was. Any help???

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #609 on: June 14, 2005, 12:56:43 PM »
First shot is a local Hawaii contest many many years ago. The center guy later became a big time chef at one of  the Disneyland Hotels and trained with Boyer Coe (I hear).

The second shot shows the winners of a small contest held in the deep south. I believe it was taken by Chip English of Foley, Alabama (another good friend whom I have lost contact with).

Chip was last seen judging an NPC event in Georgia. Cory named him "Chocloate Chip". Cory does that sort of stuff.

Chip, get a hold of me!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #610 on: June 14, 2005, 02:40:49 PM »
More long ago shots...

First pic (Late 60's?) is of a good friend who I still stay in contact with. He is now retired and living in the mid west. Used to be real close friends with Bill and Judy Pearl and trained for a good while at Bill's place in Pasadena.

Second shot is one I have no idea how I came across ............

Presently looking for the Steve Reeves photos we shot while I showed him around town.
Will post if and when I do.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #611 on: June 14, 2005, 02:45:54 PM »
Sorry, second attempt at posting the shots ......

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #612 on: June 14, 2005, 03:13:34 PM »
This shot was taken a while back as you can see, but we weren't in a real saloon and the guns  arn' t real.

But this is an interesting shot because the guy on the left  did a lot of photo work for Weider and Weider even did a story on him and his younger brother. Years later he worked with Jeff and Cory on that fitness TV show they filmed in Hawaii. Today he is raising a family in a ultra classy neighborhood on the San Francisco Bay.

And the lady on the right eventually became a major TV star in her own right. (Home Improvement?) Don't watch much TV so I may not have the right show.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #613 on: June 14, 2005, 07:33:48 PM »
The girl on the right is Debbie Dunning.  i worked with her on her first film 'Dangerous Curves".  She played a bikini contestant and I was Leslie Nielson's bodyguard "Mandrake."

A quick funny story expecially if you were there.  At the time Debbie was seeing a guy who worked on AM San Diego.  They setup an interview with Leslie.  If you ever saw Leslie do an interview he uses his fart machine as much as I do. 

As he was getting interviewed he farted.  The interviewers just started to crack up.

I have a picture of Debbie on stage in her bikini poseing for me and pcking her nose.  I will scan and put up.

I was in a similar situation here.  Myself along with a couple others including Mr. USA Alan Inchinose were appearing on a show called "Five-Alive".  We I had to fart during the interview.  So when I did the interviewer (Crash Kealoha) just strated to bust up and we went to commercial.  i said sorry I culdn't help it.  Well the director saw what i had in my hands.  As much as he thought it was funny he said he had to take it from until the interview was over.  But we didn't tell Crash what it was.

So, when we started shooting again, when Crash looked at me he just ost it again.  In short we literally tried to do the interview 4 different times.  We had to stop for almost 20 minutes until Crasj could get his act together.  You know when you get in those moments when you just can't stop laughing, this is where he was at.  Abyway finally we got it done.  It was funny.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #614 on: June 14, 2005, 09:24:21 PM »
Yep, that is Debbie! Great lady!

And here is one of Bill Grant sometime around 1977.

And I don't know the date of the second photo.

619Rules

« Reply #615 on: June 14, 2005, 10:33:13 PM »
That is Debbie Dunning from "Home Improvement" in that wild west saloon picture? Does not look like her at all.

Only-she was in "Dangerous Curves" too? I didn't know that.

Debbie Dunning dated and then married a pro beach volleyball player-one of the top guys-who used to train at Frog's Solana Beach. This guy is like 6'6 and has really broad (natural) shoulders, and does commentary now for all the Pro Beach Volleyball coverage on TV-I cannot remember his name for the life of me right now. He also is a founder of the Redsand beach/athletic clothing company.

When I remember his name I iwll post it. Debbie married him when she was on Home Improvement, and then she had a baby which was actually written into the show.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2005, 01:48:57 AM »
Good to see you guys know Debbie. She is a great lady.

Let's see if we can stir up more conversation here.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2005, 01:56:20 AM »
Much younger in these shots but you should be able to recognize each person plus those in the background too (if you've been around long enough!).

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2005, 02:02:49 AM »
It's probably an appropriate time to post these photos.

God Bless Rich!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2005, 02:10:13 AM »
And to finish it up tonite ..............

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2005, 02:20:19 AM »
ANd last but not least...

GUS and BILL

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2005, 02:41:48 AM »
Gus was so wild.  He would get so worked up before he lifted.  i've seen several tapes of him lifting in Hawaii and passing out after doing or missing the lift.  But he was strong.  Bob looks good too.  And Billy was just huge when he was here

serpico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig or die trying!
« Reply #622 on: June 15, 2005, 08:11:35 AM »
Stunt...Were Those shots of teuf and the sisters taken in front of Golds when it was on Main? I have a picture of me taken in front of the same window (I wish I had a scanner). You guys have done wonders for my memory! Its really quite therapeutic you know.

serpico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig or die trying!
« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2005, 08:25:39 AM »
I remember this Kid I think his name was Brian Dobson We were both competing in the teenage America in '76 or '77 well anyway He trained at a gym in Detroit called Armento's and he had told me that both Ross and Platz were originally from there.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2005, 11:39:12 AM »
Alphi ............  Hi, Alphi!

Second shot ........ Who can name them all?