Author Topic: Open challenge  (Read 9689 times)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: Open challenge
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2007, 11:32:40 AM »
Everything (for the most part) is humming along well.  Incline barbell press has gone up by about 15 lbs since I started, I'd say roughly a 5-8% increase in weight for most of the exercises I'm doing so far.  The only crap factor is that I tweaked my lower back deadlifting a couple weeks back so my leg workouts are kind of limited - just leg extensions, curls, and hack squats, plus calf training. 

And I'm starting a job in January as an assistant fitness manager at a very nicely equipped Gold's Gym that has one of the Nautilus pullovers, so I'll be adding that sucker into my back routine soon.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2007, 07:50:58 PM »
Im currently not too happy with how things are going. The cutting diet had pretty much been put on hold just due to the fact that i had a stomach bug for a week (didn't think it would be a good idea to go straight back to a strict diet), busy time of year (obviously) and im missing workouts. Thats the only problem with HST, as the workouts get heavier, they take longer. Im now about to start the 5 rep weeks, but the 10 rep weeks were killing me. The workouts were going for over 2 hrs, and that was me trying to be as quick as possible. Tried splitting it into an AM/PM split, but thats too time consuming for the most people.

Ill stick to HST and give it another go. Ill have more free time after the new year, so ill definietly be more committed to training and the diet.
No doubt about it...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2007, 08:40:44 PM »
Im currently not too happy with how things are going. The cutting diet had pretty much been put on hold just due to the fact that i had a stomach bug for a week (didn't think it would be a good idea to go straight back to a strict diet), busy time of year (obviously) and im missing workouts. Thats the only problem with HST, as the workouts get heavier, they take longer. Im now about to start the 5 rep weeks, but the 10 rep weeks were killing me. The workouts were going for over 2 hrs, and that was me trying to be as quick as possible. Tried splitting it into an AM/PM split, but thats too time consuming for the most people.

Ill stick to HST and give it another go. Ill have more free time after the new year, so ill definietly be more committed to training and the diet.

A) I thought you had great genetics so none of the above should be a problem.
B) HST should be short; if you need 2 hours for ANY workout, something is fundamentally wrong with your training. 45 minutes to an hour and you are out of there. Even with juice 2 hours is way too long and even with your genetics. If you had been making progress with a 2 hour workout, you must truly be a genetic freak?!
I hate the State.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2007, 10:30:50 PM »
A) I thought you had great genetics so none of the above should be a problem.
B) HST should be short; if you need 2 hours for ANY workout, something is fundamentally wrong with your training. 45 minutes to an hour and you are out of there. Even with juice 2 hours is way too long and even with your genetics. If you had been making progress with a 2 hour workout, you must truly be a genetic freak?!

Whilst i am a genetic freak, i think you will find that for almost anyone, HST will take longer than 45-60 mins. Remember it is a full body workout. You cant just go from one exercise to another (well you can right at the beginning, the start of the 15 rep weeks) as the weights get heavier, you need to rest between sets and exercises. Ill time myself tomorrow in the gym (beginning of the 5 rep weeks) and see what happens. See if i can cut down the time.
No doubt about it...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2007, 10:35:34 PM »
Whilst i am a genetic freak, i think you will find that for almost anyone, HST will take longer than 45-60 mins. Remember it is a full body workout. You cant just go from one exercise to another (well you can right at the beginning, the start of the 15 rep weeks) as the weights get heavier, you need to rest between sets and exercises. Ill time myself tomorrow in the gym (beginning of the 5 rep weeks) and see what happens. See if i can cut down the time.

Not true; yes, you need to rest but on 5 rep weeks? Come on.

My last HST cycle looked like this:

Shoulder Dumbbell Press x2
Latpull Downs x2
Bench x2
Seated Rows x2
Skullcrushers x1
Seated Curls x1
Deadlifts x2
Squats x2
Alternatively abs or calves x2

45 minutes, finished.
I hate the State.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »
he's right..

Your workouts shouldnt excede more than an hour and a half, and that includes warmups. Without warmups any workout should be an hour or less.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »

Latpull Downs x2
Bench x2
Seated Rows x2
Skullcrushers x1
Seated Curls x1
Deadlifts x2
Squats x2

45 minutes, finished.

how th fvck do u swqt atfer dealidftin?
follow the arrows

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 10:44:14 PM »

Latpull Downs x2
Bench x2
Seated Rows x2
Skullcrushers x1
Seated Curls x1
Deadlifts x2
Squats x2

45 minutes, finished.

Well it appears i am doing more exercises than you did. Im doing:
flat bench
Incline
Military press
lat raise
barbell row
pulldowns
squat
leg press
SLDL
lying leg curl
DB curls
preacher
close grip bench
dips
standing calf raise
toe press

More than you are doing, but if you read about HST is states that you can choose 2 exercises per bodypart. This is my 1st time doing HST, next time i might only do 1 exercise per bodypart.
No doubt about it...

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 10:46:31 PM »
holy shit man I gotat give u props for doing something that intense but REALLY man cut down on the exercises, evenwhat trapezkerl prescribes is too much IMO.

You need to alternate exercises from one workout to the toher if u want to have that exercise selection. I'm feelin too lazy right now to post up a sample but u could find it from a quick search.
follow the arrows

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »
Well it appears i am doing more exercises than you did. Im doing:
flat bench
Incline
Military press
lat raise
barbell row
pulldowns
squat
leg press
SLDL
lying leg curl
DB curls
preacher
close grip bench
dips
standing calf raise
toe press

More than you are doing, but if you read about HST is states that you can choose 2 exercises per bodypart. This is my 1st time doing HST, next time i might only do 1 exercise per bodypart.

Biceps and Triceps are tiny muscles and both get worked via bench and back exercises, hence 1x for them.

You are doing way too many exercises. Keep the number of Sets to 16 or below.
I hate the State.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2007, 10:51:09 PM »
Yes i do agree that it is probably too much. I just read that in HST, you can choose 2 exercises per bodypart. This is the 1st time ive done HST and im almost finished it, so when i go back for the 2nd time, i may only do one exercise per bodypart. The funny thing is that ive actually seen results from this though.
No doubt about it...

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2007, 12:40:04 AM »
Can someone explain HST to me??

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2007, 06:31:03 AM »
Can someone explain HST to me??

Someone can. ;D
I hate the State.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »
I can't, obviously i don't know what the fuck i'm doing :D
No doubt about it...

Brandon 805

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
im in i am starting HIT today! i will post a starting pic when i get home from work

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2007, 09:34:40 AM »
I just started Westside style on October 14th after 15 years of all the others. So put me down as the Westside Experiment. I'll keep it intense brothers, AAHHHRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

This cracks me up more than anything... guys who claim to do "Westside" .
NEWSFLASH  If you dont train at WESTSIDE BARBELL then your not training "Westside" .......get it?