Author Topic: In the market for a new laptop...price is no object.  (Read 5681 times)

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
Re: In the market for a new laptop...price is no object.
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
IBM thinkpad

Bump.

I just got a t60p: Duo Core 2, 2GB Ram, 100GB HD, 256 dedicated vid card, high def screen, etc, and it's fucking sweet.

I have the 15" version but it's very thin and light, but I know thinkpads have 11, 13, and 14" verisions if you want something a little more portable.

I highly recommend it. Only problem I had was when some security software i installed conflicted with the fingerprint reader/inbuilt security chip. Took like 10 minutes to fix.
It's Hip to be Square!

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2007, 11:46:17 AM »
If you want most of the software made for computers to work, definetly go PC..

Also, any machine is going to be slow after 3 years. Software continues to get more resources intensive and really you should rebuild your machine every 6-9 months. If you are not defraging your HD, doing maintinance it will really slow your system down.

Great thing about Dell traditionally has been their support. With a MAC you are looking at bieng a member of the what 4% of the PC market that owns them. From an IT business perspective they are a pain in the ass to support and you will spend extra time dealing with compatability issues.

We get guys that expect their MACs to work in a 99% PC/Windows environment and get pissed when it doesn't.  Its rediculous.

Alienware is badass... and you can run 99% of the applications you will need.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2007, 11:58:20 AM »
Alienware is badass... and you can run 99% of the applications you will need.

Yes, they're great but I'm not sure the look works for a business application. Performance is fantastic but the appearance is too wacky. BTW, they're owned by Dell.

There are a few good boutique builders making great products.  Velocity Micro is another that makes good products.

For small screens he's better off sticking with one of the giant manufacturers such as Lenovo, Dell or Sony.

If he doesn't care about compatibility issues then go with the MacBook Pro just expect to deal with issues.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 12:49:18 PM »
I have an iMac 20" and it works great. Like Tim, I also use NeoOffice which can open and modify and save as Word/Excel docs. You can find most Mac software on Limewire or Poison. Unlike my PC, my mac is up and running in 15 seconds as opposed to the 3 minutes I have to wait for my PC to load all of the crudware.

I really don't see any advantage to owning a pc over a mac other than price. I paid $550 for my Gateway Laptop that does everything I need, but you can't touch a mac laptop for less than a G.
BigNationRadio.com

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »
On a Windows based system.

Click Start.
Click Run.
Type msconfig and OK.
Check Selective Startup.
Click the Startup tab.
Uncheck everything except your firewall and or security suite
Click Apply and then Close and then click Restart.

This will stop all programs that aren't needed at startup from opening and eating up system resources.

After that go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any bloatware that never gets used.

Run a system cleaner like Webroot to get rid of any traces of uninstalled programs.

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »
Ubuntu is a nice linux based software, plus it's free..Works great for older laptop with at least 256 mg RAM..

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »
Get the Tulip E-Go Diamond, Diamond cased, only 350,000

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 01:34:10 PM »
If you want most of the software made for computers to work, definetly go PC..

other than games, what software would someone need for their home pc or laptop that isn't available on a mac?

Also, any machine is going to be slow after 3 years. Software continues to get more resources intensive and really you should rebuild your machine every 6-9 months. If you are not defraging your HD, doing maintinance it will really slow your system down.

not on a mac, not on a mac, not on a mac.

From an IT business perspective they are a pain in the ass to support and you will spend extra time dealing with compatability issues.

Mac OSX is unix.  Are you saying your IT department can't support Unix/Linux?

Jeriko

• Getbig II
  • Do you want to win the war on terror? Yes or No?
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:22 PM »
I have a new Alienware and a new Mac.  I easily prefer my Mac. You can't go wrong with either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro