Author Topic: Special Olympics: We did not accept Rahm Emmanuels' Apology  (Read 11054 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Special Olympics: We did not accept Rahm Emmanuels' Apology
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »
Special Olympics: Apology not accepted [UPDATED]
www.politico.com

________________________ ________________________

The Special Olympics is disputing the White House claim that its chairman, Tim Shriver, accepted Rahm Emanuel's apology for calling liberals "retarded."

Seeking to damp down the controversy over Rahm Emanuel's reported, months-old use of the word, a White House official yesterday told me and other reporters that Emanuel had called Special Olympics Chairman Tim Shriver to apologize.

"The apology was accepted," the official said yesterday.

The vice president for communications at the Special Olympics, Kirsten Seckler, told me that this account of the conversation is "inaccurate."

"Tim didn't accept his apology," she said. "Tim can't do that. He can't accept an apology on behalf of all people with disabilities."

Shriver had simply said, she said, that he was willing to continue the conversation with the chief of staff.

UPDATE: Emanuel met Wednesday with six disability advocates. He "sincerely apologized," again, for using the word, promising to sign an online pledge to end the use of the word, the advocates said in a joint statement.

Emanuel also promised to "examine" Congressional legislation that would remove the word from federal law.

"We are thankful to Mr. Emanuel for meeting with us today and hearing our concerns," said the joint statement from the six advocates whom he met, led by Shriver.

"Our community has earned the right to be respected instead of ridiculed. We have suffered injustice for generations and we are demanding that it end," the said in the statement. "This is another small step on the road to a country that accepts the gifts of all."

UPDATE: Seckler says that, today, the leaders did accept Emanuel's apology: "All six of the advocates, including Tim Shriver, accepted Rahm Emanuel’s apology on their own behalf and on behalf of the organizations they represent."

Posted by Ben Smith 03:06 PM

________________________ ________________________ __

Palin is about to get herself a scalp. 

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
Re: Special Olympics: We did not accept Rahm Emmanuels' Apology
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
Rahm should be fired if they don't accept his apology, just like how when the black community doesn't accept a white persons apology they get fired

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
Rahm should be fired if they don't accept his apology, just like how when the black community doesn't accept a white persons apology they get fired

Typical jackass. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
im very anti-PC so i really dont give a shit about this.  :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:07:24 PM »
im very anti-PC so i really dont give a shit about this.  :-\

If you had a kid with downs' you might.   :'(

Second, Rahm is a jerk to begin with so anything that gives him a diaper rash at night is fine by me.  Even the base dems hate this jerkoff. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »
When did the word “retard” or “retarded” become a slur?  It used to be a legitimate scientific description just like idiot, imbecile, and moron.  Is there anyone who hasn’t used that word several times in the last year or two?

I do not really see this as a particularly offensive expression, but I am also not close to anyone with a special needs child.  Would anyone care to explain this in personal terms? ???

A poor choice of words?  Yes. Horribly offensive?  Not to me, but I would like to be educated on this.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
It's funny that people didn't give a shit about the horrible job Rahm did until now.  Palin wasn't tweeting about it 2 days ago, despite rahm breaking down the democratic process.

He uses a word the wrong way (meaning zero ill will toward any children, obviously) and suddenly "Holy shit, this mufferfvcker is evil!  He's gotta be fired!!!!  no apology is good enough!!"

Two of the children I'm adopting are special needs... when I hear somebody use the phrase "retarded", I look at them as ignorant.  I don't get all offended, I understand they are uncouth and stupid, but really... I'm not going to get all pissy about it.  I spend tons of time with the kids and I love them, that's enough for me.  

Rahm sucks for a lot of reasons... but "oh lordy, I'm so offended now!  It's on, girlfriend!!!"

STFU already.  

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
Maybe I’m just too used to hearing “offensive” labels thrown around.  I’ve certainly been on the receiving end of them; but stuff like that really rolls off my back.  ::)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
When did the word “retard” or “retarded” become a slur?  It used to be a legitimate scientific description just like idiot, imbecile, and moron.  Is there anyone who hasn’t used that word several times in the last year or two?

I do not really see this as a particularly offensive expression, but I am also not close to anyone with a special needs child.  Would anyone care to explain this in personal terms? ???

A poor choice of words?  Yes. Horribly offensive?  Not to me, but I would like to be educated on this.

I was wondering the exact same thing about the word "homo"...
S

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
It's funny that people didn't give a shit about the horrible job Rahm did until now.  Palin wasn't tweeting about it 2 days ago, despite rahm breaking down the democratic process.

He uses a word the wrong way (meaning zero ill will toward any children, obviously) and suddenly "Holy shit, this mufferfvcker is evil!  He's gotta be fired!!!!  no apology is good enough!!"

Two of the children I'm adopting are special needs... when I hear somebody use the phrase "retarded", I look at them as ignorant.  I don't get all offended, I understand they are uncouth and stupid, but really... I'm not going to get all pissy about it.  I spend tons of time with the kids and I love them, that's enough for me.  

Rahm sucks for a lot of reasons... but "oh lordy, I'm so offended now!  It's on, girlfriend!!!"

STFU already.  

240 - if you go on DU they hate Rahm with a passion.  The fact of the matter is that Palin with her Facebook posting is still a hugely powerful force of nature. 

Quietly, they are hoping he goes. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »
If you had a kid with downs' you might.   :'(

Second, Rahm is a jerk to begin with so anything that gives him a diaper rash at night is fine by me.  Even the base dems hate this jerkoff. 

absolutely not. This whole thing was a reach.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »
absolutely not. This whole thing was a reach.

Ever think that maybe some on the left asked her to do since they hate Rahm with a passion? 

Go on DU - THEY HATE him with a passion. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 03:25:56 PM »
Weird... I don't remember palin facebooking about how pissed she was when a republican candidate used this word 6 months ago... but when a DEM said it...

In a radio interview tonight, gubernatorial candidate Steve Lonegan called a Fairleigh Dickinson Poll that showed him trailing rival Chris Christie by 24 points in the Republican primary "retarded."

http://www.politickernj.com/matt-friedman/30221/1015-lonegan-calls-poll-retarded-and-one-jersey-guy-endorses-merkt

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »
Weird... I don't remember palin facebooking about how pissed she was when a republican candidate used this word 6 months ago... but when a DEM said it...

In a radio interview tonight, gubernatorial candidate Steve Lonegan called a Fairleigh Dickinson Poll that showed him trailing rival Chris Christie by 24 points in the Republican primary "retarded."

http://www.politickernj.com/matt-friedman/30221/1015-lonegan-calls-poll-retarded-and-one-jersey-guy-endorses-merkt

Unreal. 

Rahm called them "retards" connoting that they are someone with Downs. 

The quote you gave is describing a situation, not calling a person a particular name evoking images of Corky.     

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 03:32:52 PM »
People with Down`s syndrome are retarded.  Is this some sort of new revelation?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »
videotape emerging of Rush calling people "utter retards!"  NBC just played it.

I wonder if Palin will be criticizing that too... calling for him to be fired? 

If not, it's complete partisan bullshit move on her part.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »
videotape emerging of Rush calling people "utter retards!"  NBC just played it.

I wonder if Palin will be criticizing that too... calling for him to be fired? 

If not, it's complete partisan bullshit move on her part.

;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:38 PM »
So should Rush be fired too?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »

Rush works for himself. 

Rahmn works for us. 

Next. 

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »
It's funny that people didn't give a shit about the horrible job Rahm did until now...

STFU already. 

You supported this administration and voted in a way you knew would assist an Obama win without actually putting yourself in a position to take any responsibility.

Take your own advice.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 07:54:46 PM »
Rush works for himself.  

Rahmn works for us.  

Next.  

Boom.  Damn 33, you're ripping things up today.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:41 PM »

Boom.  Damn 33, you're ripping things up today.

I'm feeling feisty today.  ;D  ;D

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:31 AM »
Im not offended by this or any other slur.However,what everyone misses is the irony of this.Rahm called liberal democrats retards and has to apologise to retards.Usually when you insult someone or some group you have to apologise to the group you insulted.Whats amusing here is that the lib democrats are such a bunch of sub human slime that calling retarded people democrats is more offensive then calling democrats retards.I find that funny as hell.That would be like calling Rahm a fag and having to apologise to fags because you compared them to Rahm.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »

Here is the difference between Rush and these spineless cowards.When Rush says something he stands by it and wont apologise for it.He still plays "Barack the magic negro" all the time.He doesnt back down UNLESS HE thinks he was wrong.Even then,if some stupid lib demanded an apology,Rush wouldnt give it simply because a lib demanded it.Rahm is gutless,RUSH isnt.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 07:54:41 AM »
Rush works for himself. 

Rahmn works for us. 

Next. 

240 won't recover.