Author Topic: High-protein diet may shrink brain  (Read 1616 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
High-protein diet may shrink brain
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:38:34 AM »
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/10/21/Study-High-protein-diet-may-shrink-brain/UPI-76601256104625/ :o :o

NEW YORK, Oct. 21 (UPI) -- U.S., Canadian and British researchers found a high-protein diet may shrink the brain, a phenomenon linked to Alzheimer's disease.

Lead author Sam Gandy, a professor at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine and a neurologist at the James J. Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center in New York, and colleagues tested four differing menus on mice bred to develop Alzheimer's disease. The mice were fed either a regular diet, a high-fat/low-carbohydrate custom diet, a high-protein/low-carb version or a high-carbohydrate/low-fat option.

The researchers then looked at the brain and body weight of the mice, as well as plaque buildup and differences in the structure of several brain regions involved with Alzheimer's disease. Gandy said the researchers unexpectedly found mice fed a high-protein/low-carbohydrate diet had brains 5 percent lighter than all the others and regions of their hippocampus -- involved with memory -- were less developed.

Until researchers test this effect on mice not bred to develop Alzheimer's disease, it is unclear whether the loss of brain mass is associated with Alzheimer's disease-type plaque. However, studies in the published literature led the authors to develop a tentative theory that a high-protein diet may leave neurones more vulnerable to Alzheimer's disease plaque.

"Given the previously reported association of high-protein diet with aging-related neurotoxicity, one wonders whether particular diets, if ingested at particular ages, might increase susceptibility to incidence or progression of Alzheimer's disease," Gandy said in a statement.

The study is published in the journal Molecular Neurodegeneration.

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: High-protein diet may shrink brain
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:13 AM »
Considering I've not heard of a single bodybuilder who has developed Alzheimers I think that blows their theory right out the water.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:26:43 AM »
Considering I've not heard of a single bodybuilder who has developed Alzheimers I think that blows their theory right out the water.

But how could you tell?  :D

spinnis

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:30:01 AM »
that explains Kai Greene

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:30:49 AM »
that explains Kai Greene

it would explain a lot more than that  ;D
just not good enough

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:30:58 AM »
that explains Kai Greene

But not Johnny Falcon

dave19

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:36:23 AM »
Wouldn't it be more likely that is has something to do with low carb rather than high protein considering the fact that the brain uses carbohydrates as it's main energy source ?

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 04:38:51 AM »
But how did the glutes on these mice look?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 04:39:44 AM »
5%?  Who cares?  I'll gladly sacrifice that at the altar of canonball delts and the white pythons.  8)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:16:47 AM »
Wouldn't it be more likely that is has something to do with low carb rather than high protein considering the fact that the brain uses carbohydrates as it's main energy source ?

excellent reply.
now we can without a doubt continue stuffing ourselves with eggs, cheese, proteinshakes, call ourselves a bodybuilder, its a vain-process.Bodybuilding is such a waste of time We  keep eating those foods and continue to train due to our ego. Training is addictive aind healthy, but to stuff yourself with proteins every 2/3 hours is another thing. Its a big price we have to pay for our ego, BB takes up to atleast 25% of our lives, in some cases 50%. Thats a poor life.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 05:20:26 AM »
excellent reply.
now we can without a doubt continue stuffing ourselves with eggs, cheese, proteinshakes, call ourselves a bodybuilder, its a vain-process.Bodybuilding is such a waste of time We  keep eating those foods and continue to train due to our ego. Training is addictive aind healthy, but to stuff yourself with proteins every 2/3 hours is another thing. Its a big price we have to pay for our ego, BB takes up to atleast 25% of our lives, in some cases 50%. Thats a poor life.

Mariachi, I'm very disappointed in this reply.  BTW, aren't you a smoker? 

io856

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 05:20:52 AM »
excellent reply.
nobody is making anybody do that... it is up to the individual to ascertain whether or not the results are worth that effort or adjustment of effort... lol... you have some issues if you think thats the only way to skin this cat...  ::)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 05:23:43 AM »
Good thing my brain is totally huge and massive.....
No doubt about it...

io856

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »
Good thing my brain is totally huge and massive.....
matt t

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:10 AM »
matt t

Good point.

Well fuck this noise, i quit protein.  :o
No doubt about it...

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 05:27:35 AM »
nobody is making anybody do that... it is up to the individual to ascertain whether or not the results are worth that effort or adjustment of effort... lol... you have some issues if you think thats the only way to skin this cat...  ::)

yes, its individuals own choice, when i wake up i dont feel like drinking a shake or eat right away, some days i force myself to get that protein right away, its a price you have to pay for growth and your ego. We end up on a bb board, 25% to 50% im referring to our thinking process, bb is atleast 25% of your daily thinking and doing if you re serious about your hobby.

io856

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 05:29:32 AM »
yes, its individuals own choice, when i wake up i dont feel like drinking a shake or eat right away, some days i force myself to get that protein right away, its a price you have to pay for growth and your ego. We end up on a bb board, 25% to 50% im referring to our thinking process, bb is atleast 25% of your daily thinking and doing if you re serious about your hobby.
well quit complaining then...

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 05:48:40 AM »
well quit complaining then...

just an observation

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 06:04:16 AM »
Protein here I come... big brain = thinking too much...

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 06:08:03 AM »
But how did the glutes on these mice look?
LMAO

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 06:12:21 AM »
I'm not worried...since I'm not a mouse.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 06:23:57 AM »

Nasser?