Author Topic: BMW X6 & Land Rover LRX  (Read 11821 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
BMW X6 & Land Rover LRX
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on either of these?  I'm starting to think about a new car and these seem interesting...

w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: BMW X6 & Land Rover LRX
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »
I would not buy a LandRover!  I have been in them several times and I find the styling and driver/passenger experience to be unacceptable.  It is not luxurious at all.  If you live in a 3rd world country and have a genuine need for a SUV that will be off-road more often than on-road then—and only then—is the LR a good choice.

The X6 is fun to drive, but for such a large vehicle it has a surprisingly cramped interior.  If you are 5’7” and 150# this will be a non-issue for you, but guys my size need more room that the X6 offers.  Similarly, the X6 is not very utilitarian; if you plan to tote lots of people and parcels the X5 is a better choice.  The X6 has virtually no back seat.  The space provided is fine for carrying a dog or cat but forget about putting real people back there.  The X6 is effectively a two-seater SUV.  If that is consistent with your lifestyle then go for it, otherwise consider other options.

Unfortunately, the mileage in both of these vehicles is terrible.  >:(

And remember, you followed my previous recommendation to get a Mac and wound up very happy.  ;)

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »
BMW X6. BMW has the best maintenance warrenty around. Nice balance of power and ride.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
Range Rover is owned by Tata group in India. enough said.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »
X6, drove one, a blast to drive. Seats 4, the X6 M, would make you trade in your wife. Never dove that, but I drool over it. Not very good off road a true Sports Activity Vehicle, not a SUV. The Land Rover, well if want to pretend to be snooty, then get it, but maintenance is lairy. And possibly pretty good offroad as well.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
The land rover is awesome! Order one for me!

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »
Mon of steele said it best with the land rover.

I'm not a luxury car guy so I can't comment on the BMW or Land Rover's merits on that.  What I can say from a guy that enjoys offroading I can tell you that the Land Rover is highly over rated as far as trails are concerned.  You will have to put way to much shit on there to get it to perform as it should off-road.  The Toyota Land Cruiser would be better suited if you are looking for an off-road SUV.  Land Rovers aren't as tough as they used to be. 

The BMW looks sweet though!  I like that styling better, but that is purely a personal choice. 

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
My dad's friend bought a brand new Range Rover V8 a couple of years ago.. it was in repair all the time.. the Land Rover quality sucks. I would go for the BMW.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »
BMW all the way.  Moms got a new X5 4.8 with the sport package.  Very nice SUV.  Really glad she didn't get another escalade.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »
My dad's friend bought a brand new Range Rover V8 a couple of years ago.. it was in repair all the time.. the Land Rover quality sucks. I would go for the BMW.

I agree LR has a poor reliability rating but I’m curious: why would you know the repair history of a car owned by a friend of your father’s?  Do you spend a lot of time with your father’s friend?  Do you frequently ride in his car?

I barely remember my own car’s repair history to say nothing of a vehicle owned by someone twice removed.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
For that kind of money go with a 550, M5 or M3.  I like the Lexus IS-F too.  The X6 has such a bizarre-o shape to it, it looks very disproportionate.

Avoid Land Rovers like the plague unless you want to become best friends with your local LR service department....for that matter avoid British sh*t in general as it has a longstanding poor reputation for reliability.

I do not understand the fascination with "performance" SUVs.....it is an oxymoron.  I look forward to the day when cars once again rule the world and SUVs are a footnote in history.  Unfortunately I don't think it will be anytime soon.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »
I agree LR has a poor reliability rating but I’m curious: why would you know the repair history of a car owned by a friend of your father’s?  Do you spend a lot of time with your father’s friend?  Do you frequently ride in his car?

It is perhaps 5+ years ago. I was in high school and living at home at that time.
This friend often visited our house and I have always been interested in cars... and he very often complained about the Range Rover being in repair.. besides that I just generally have a good memory  :)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
I would go for the BMW, though they both look badass, just seems that Land Rover has gone to shit lately, they have no business making $140,000 vehicles in my opinion.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
I've had a Discovery, Range Rover & Range Rover Sport.  All three had regular glitches.  Nothing major.  But annoying nonetheless.  Never owned a BMW.  Just don't like the stigma that comes with it.  But, that X6 looks sweet.

What about the porsche panamera?

w

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
I've had a Discovery, Range Rover & Range Rover Sport.  All three had regular glitches.  Nothing major.  But annoying nonetheless.  Never owned a BMW.  Just don't like the stigma that comes with it.  But, that X6 looks sweet.

Porsche wins, hands down.  Some of the most fun cars I have ever driven.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »

If only the Panamera looked like the first pic. But i looks like a giant jelly bean, a jelly bean that goes 0-60 in 3.4 secs.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »

w

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »

I barely remember my own car’s repair history to say nothing of a vehicle owned by someone twice removed.

:D

u suggesting ff took long trips with that dude ?

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
Panamera got same probs as X6 - proportions that just do not look "right" to my eyes at least.  Plus I thought it had a price tag somewhere north of $130K?  That is a pretty outrageous price tag for a car that the Porsche faithful don't/won't like and is likely to suffer serious depreciation.  It is not like you buy a car like a Porsche for resale but at least if you drop $130K on a 911 Turbo you will suffer less of a hit since the car is more desirable to the average Porsche fanatic shopping in the used market.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »

Yeah, the head of Porsche said that there should be enough headroom in the back seat so that he could sit back there. I think he's 6'5. So that car has a humpback look to it, not speak like the Aston Martin Rapide 4 door. The fucker took Porsche to being the most profitable car company in the world, then he got greedy and was trying to take over Volkswagen, now Porsche is owned by VW AG, and run by Audi. All because tiny Porsche had a Napoleon Complex.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »
Jay Cutler just bought his wife a new BMW X6. :) The up keep on these cars can be $$. That is why I got the M5, they cover everything bumper to bumper, oil, ect, except tires.  I got the extended warrenty for 7 years or 100K miles.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 04:58:42 PM »
How about the Audi S6??

w

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »
BMW all the way.  Moms got a new X5 4.8 with the sport package.  Very nice SUV.  Really glad she didn't get another escalade.
you must have a lovely view of it from the basement ::)

body88

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on either of these?  I'm starting to think about a new car and these seem interesting...

I love Rovers, but they do have electrical problems. What do you think about the m5?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 05:17:44 PM »
Jay Cutler just bought his wife a new BMW X6. :) The up keep on these cars can be $$. That is why I got the M5, they cover everything bumper to bumper, oil, ect, except tires.  I got the extended warrenty for 7 years or 100K miles.
Did you just get it, because the new one comes out in about a yr. That means the value of the old one will drop like a rock. Or will you trade it in?

My favorite is still the E46 M3 and the E39 M5.