Author Topic: BMW releases photos of the M8  (Read 2429 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
BMW releases photos of the M8
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:14:57 AM »
BMW releases present day photos of it's best kept secret, the M8. It was rumored to be destroyed, but it was under lock and key. The M8 is a prototype that never went into production---unless you count rebadgers. The M8 is M division's take on the 8 series, they had a quasi-product in the 850CSi, but it was not a full bore M Division effort. The M8 was, it had a 550 hp version of the S70 V12 (the version in the Mclaren F1 is the S70/2). You may also note, that this prototype had no headlights.
Do to the Recession of the early 90s, this car was never produced.

This car, along with the M Division's X5 LM, rank as one of the company's most extremely guarded cars
http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/02/exclusive-photos-bmw-m8/

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: BMW releases photos of the M8
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:22:27 AM »
BMW releases present day photos of it's best kept secret, the M8. It was rumored to be destroyed, but it was under lock and key. The M8 is a prototype that never went into production---unless you count rebadgers. The M8 is M division's take on the 8 series, they had a quasi-product in the 850CSi, but it was not a full bore M Division effort. The M8 was, it had a 550 hp version of the S70 V12 (the version in the Mclaren F1 is the S70/2). You may also note, that this prototype had no headlights.
Do to the Recession of the early 90s, this car was never produced.

This car, along with the M Division's X5 LM, rank as one of the company's most extremely guarded cars
http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/02/exclusive-photos-bmw-m8/
Why is this Parker, why would BMW make a car not for sale?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
For the money wasted on an M8, your better off buying a Ferarri.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:39:24 AM »
Why is this Parker, why would BMW make a car not for sale?
Well, the Recession of the 90s killed the M8, they didn't see a market to sell a 100+k BMW. And the X5 LM was produced to celebrate BMW winning of Le Mans---they put a 700+hp V12 (a race version of the S70/2 V12 without restrictor plates) in a X5. They never released the 'Ring times, but it supposedly has one of the fastest to date. This was the handwriting on the wall for 2010's X5/X6 Ms.

X5 LM

playboy, the M8 was never for sale, it was a one off prototype...they locked it up and said it was crushed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
Well, the Recession of the 90s killed the M8, they didn't see a market to sell a 100+k BMW. And the X5 LM was produced to celebrate BMW winning of Le Mans---they put a 700+hp V12 (a race version of the S70/2 V12 without restrictor plates) in a X5. They never released the 'Ring times, but it supposedly has one of the fastest to date. This was the handwriting on the wall for 2010's X5/X6 Ms.

X5 LM

playboy, the M8 was never for sale, it was a one off prototype...they locked it up and said it was crushed.
I see. If it was it would probably retail for 250,000

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »
I was never fond of the M8's seems they were always problematic.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:55:04 AM »
I was never fond of the M8's seems they were always problematic.
Haha!
The 8 series did have problems, the 850Ci's are rare, and in the US the 850CSi is even rarer still, and one of the most rare are the Alpina versions.

Then in Canada there are guys who rebadge their 8 series as M8s, when there has never been a production M8, only a prototype.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Haha!
The 8 series did have problems, the 850Ci's are rare, and in the US the 850CSi is even rarer still, and one of the most rare are the Alpina versions.

Then in Canada there are guys who rebadge their 8 series as M8s, when there has never been a production M8, only a prototype.
I was always fond of the 6 series. Nice and roomy, good kick under the hood and very sleek.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:51 AM »
I was always fond of the 6 series. Nice and roomy, good kick under the hood and very sleek.
There is a guy who works near me who has a 87-88 635CSi, all black, still nice after all these yrs.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
There is a guy who works near me who has a 87-88 635CSi, all black, still nice after all these yrs.
Nice!

Parker, whats your take on the Z8 ?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
Nice!

Parker, whats your take on the Z8 ?
Saw one about 6 months ago. Beautiful car, of the course that engine went into the E39 M5, and Alpina took over production of it. It apparently had issues with the front or back end? It lacked a LSD, and for such a high price and hig performance car, that was odd. Rare, and didn't sell too well. But the design was beautiful, and was styled by Henrik Fisker, who now has his own car company and is trying to launch his hybrid/electric car. His first two cas were based on the SL and 6 series I believe.