Author Topic: BMW M5 (Concept) Revealed  (Read 3039 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
BMW M5 (Concept) Revealed
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
The new 2012 BMW M5 Concept has been revealed before the Shanghai Motor Show...
The side view mirrors look like they are from the stock 5 series, and the rims possibly won't make production or will be optional...
The "wolf in a business suit" legend continues...
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511101

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: BMW M5 (Concept) Revealed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
Amazing performance but gone are the graceful lines of the E34 and  E39..

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
Amazing performance but gone are the graceful lines of the E34 and  E39..
This harks back to the E39. The F10 5 series has more subdued styling. There are doofus' that claim that this is too understated compared to E60 M5, what they don't understand that the E60 5 series was a controversial and "extroverted" and aggressive design, so when the M Division got it's hands on it, it was still subdued---but it was "aggressive looking" due to the original design.

I believe that this M5 continues in the desgn theme of subdued "sleeper". Those who want more aggressive styling, obviously don't understand the history of the M5, and the wolf in a business suit tagline, they want more aggressive styling, then they need to look elsewhere.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »
This new 5 series design doesn't really do it for me. Not talking about aggressive styling, huge scoops and bulges, this was never the M5 way. The new M5 might be understated in true M5 fashion but the lines are just not as beautiful as the classic E34 and E39.

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
E60 m5 v10 for me. The new 5 series IMO, drive like shit. Waaay too heavy and feels like a 7 series unlike older 5 series and this had the sport package....

BMW's have been rather disappointing I think. I've been leaning towards Mercedes lately and want the new CLS63.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
E60 m5 v10 for me. The new 5 series IMO, drive like shit. Waaay too heavy and feels like a 7 series unlike older 5 series and this had the sport package....

BMW's have been rather disappointing I think. I've been leaning towards Mercedes lately and want the new CLS63.
You see the new E90 M3 "CSL"? Word is there will be a E92 "CSL" as well...
And agreed, the new 5 has a "wooden" feel to it when driving...it has that electric steering, correct. Test drove the 535i, that tan color, beautiful color...
Merc is gonna have to change that C pillar in the new C Class Coupe---it looks like the Accord Coupe's C pillar...the CLS63 has not grown on me yet...

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »
You see the new E90 M3 "CSL"? Word is there will be a E92 "CSL" as well...
And agreed, the new 5 has a "wooden" feel to it when driving...it has that electric steering, correct. Test drove the 535i, that tan color, beautiful color...
Merc is gonna have to change that C pillar in the new C Class Coupe---it looks like the Accord Coupe's C pillar...the CLS63 has not grown on me yet...

That's correct! That is the best way to describe the drive of the new 5.

So, are they calling it a csl?? I've only heard something about the e90, not e92. Would be cool to see a US CSL, but if they do proceed it'll be VERY expensive!!!

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »
That's correct! That is the best way to describe the drive of the new 5.

So, are they calling it a csl?? I've only heard something about the e90, not e92. Would be cool to see a US CSL, but if they do proceed it'll be VERY expensive!!!
I don't know really what they are calling it, but I think it will be the CSL...Scott26 said thar the E90 M3 has months until it will end production, whereas the E92 has more time, and will be sent out with a similar "CSL" editiion.
It's suppose to slot in between the Comp Ed. And the GTS, in terms of power as well...so yes, it will be expensive...notice how BMW is starting to be like Porsche and charging high ass prices for little tweeks, special editions, diff packages (some packages you have to get in order to have another package).

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »
I don't know really what they are calling it, but I think it will be the CSL...Scott26 said thar the E90 M3 has months until it will end production, whereas the E92 has more time, and will be sent out with a similar "CSL" editiion.
It's suppose to slot in between the Comp Ed. And the GTS, in terms of power as well...so yes, it will be expensive...notice how BMW is starting to be like Porsche and charging high ass prices for little tweeks, special editions, diff packages (some packages you have to get in order to have another package).

That would be nice!!

No kidding about price increasing. My car is an 09 and msrp with options before the deal was 70k and some change. I saw a loaded m3 coupe going for 75k!!!! That's just too expensive for a 3 series lol. I can't fathom the f30 being easily 80k! Ridiculous!!!

Would not be surprised the CSL close to 100k!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »
nice, but not that different

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »
That would be nice!!

No kidding about price increasing. My car is an 09 and msrp with options before the deal was 70k and some change. I saw a loaded m3 coupe going for 75k!!!! That's just too expensive for a 3 series lol. I can't fathom the f30 being easily 80k! Ridiculous!!!

Would not be surprised the CSL close to 100k!!
the dealership near me had a beautiful Silverstone coupe M3 w/o DCT for over 76k, yet they had a used 09 GT-R for 62k...hmm, far more performance for less the price.
I would hold on to yours. The F30 M3 will probably have HPFP problems if it does use the N55 as a basis for it's engine...I know that M will have time on their hands, but they have to have a 450+ engine and lighter weight, to overshoots the current C63 Amg (which if specified can be 480 hp).
nice, but not that different

it's supposed to be subdued, basically if you know what you are looking at, then you'd "recognized"...originally the m5 was concieved to be the car  businessman could drive to work, yet beat Porsches on the autobahn---totally unassuming...

alpmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:20 PM »
Looks exactly like the 4-door M3.

Gay.

Game Time

• Getbig III
  • Go out fatboy
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
It looks the exact same? Don't get me wrong, I know very little about cars but isn't a concept supposed to something very different? I would rather rip around in an Infinity g37

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
great look.overall i always loved bmw styling,ride,handling.i have an e60 530 great car,i also had a 07 335 lease sick ride,i had 12 yrs with bmw job wise and now working for a porsche dealer i have driven a panamera turbo nice ride and cayenne gts and turbo are as well.parker thanks as always for representing the german car industry,hows the lexus?

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »
great look.overall i always loved bmw styling,ride,handling.i have an e60 530 great car,i also had a 07 335 lease sick ride,i had 12 yrs with bmw job wise and now working for a porsche dealer i have driven a panamera turbo nice ride and cayenne gts and turbo are as well.parker thanks as always for representing the german car industry,hows the lexus?

parker and i were talking the other day and he actually suggested I ask you.
Hypothetical situation.  You can buy an 03 clk or 3 series coupe or e class or 5 series with 75k miles for 10g.  What are the things to look out for, what can you realistically expect over the next 50k mi?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:31:24 PM »
It looks the exact same? Don't get me wrong, I know very little about cars but isn't a concept supposed to something very different? I would rather rip around in an Infinity g37
Take a look at the E60 Concept M5 (last generation) on the right, versus the F10 Concept M5, on the left. Basically these are almost production ready, little changes will be made

Looks exactly like the 4-door M3.

Gay.
Actually, this is the new styling era, so the F30 M3, will be styled in similar manner..
The Lexus is doing fine,now...
Hypothetical situation.  You can buy an 03 clk or 3 series coupe or e class or 5 series with 75k miles for 10g.  What are the things to look out for, what can you realistically expect over the next 50k mi?
Bump this question from Taco for njflex

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:39 PM »

This goes for any car with that mileage. That 10gs will turn easily into 15 by the time you get that 50k miles

Just basic stuff you will need to replace:
belts
water pump
spark plugs
brakes
rotors
fluids
tires
battery

Even if you're a car guy and can do the work yourself it's a lot of time and labor plus cost of parts.

I don't get why it's so complicated. If you can't afford a new or new-ish version of a car then why buy it ?
A guy I know bought an 02 BMW 745 with 110,000 miles on it. He's one of those assholes that buys old European cars and says "110,000 miles it's barley broke in" hahaha
3 weeks later he pulls up with a 2011 5 Series with dealer plates.
His fucking tranny went to shit and had to drop $4k on a new one and they gave him the 5 series as a courtesy vehicle.

A middle aged lawyer I know does the same thing. Fucker makes awesome money but dumps it into old benzes. His latest purchase is a 2001 s500 or s430??
Anyways, same story as with the bmw guy. He pulls out of his driveway in a snowstorm and slips and slides everywhere and his shifter gets stuck. Next day he's in the shop forking over $3,000 for a new trans. Then his waterpump starts leaking ...another few hundred.

Unless you know how to work on cars then do not waste your money on an older European car. That bargain $10,000 car will turn into a money pit real quick.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »
BTW the new 5 series looks like fucking shit.
First time I saw it I thought it was a Hyundai Sonata with its bulgy lines.
Just looks cheap.

Aerian

• Getbig IV
  • "Yumm yumm give me some"
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
Wow, it looks like every other single BMW out there.  JEzz i was in the market for either an M3 or a CTS coupe (sadly not the V) but in the end went with a CTS just cause the style was so much better (imo) and every single BMW looks the same to me.  Boooring
Wait for it....

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
BTW the new 5 series looks like fucking shit.
First time I saw it I thought it was a Hyundai Sonata with its bulgy lines.
Just looks cheap.
If you take a look at the hood, with it's lines, you'll notice that they are right off of the GINA and Vision concepts. The GINA is the concept witht the "skin" insteof metal...
and this is the Hyundai Sonata, with it's overdone melted face, looks like a Camry/Lexus ES330

Vs. the F10 5 series

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
Bump this question from Taco for njflex

He hit me with a pm, thanks 'parker'  ;)

This goes for any car with that mileage. That 10gs will turn easily into 15 by the time you get that 50k miles

belts
water pump
spark plugs
brakes
rotors
fluids
tires
battery

Even if you're a car guy and can do the work yourself it's a lot of time and labor plus cost of parts.

I don't get why it's so complicated. If you can't afford a new or new-ish version of a car then why buy it ?
A guy I know bought an 02 BMW 745 with 110,000 miles on it. He's one of those assholes that buys old European cars and says "110,000 miles it's barley broke in" hahaha
His fucking tranny went to shit and had to drop $4k on a new one and they gave him the 5 series as a courtesy vehicle.

A middle aged lawyer I know does the same thing. Fucker makes awesome money but dumps it into old benzes. His latest purchase is a 2001 s500 or s430??
Anyways, same story as with the bmw guy. He pulls out of his driveway in a snowstorm and slips and slides everywhere and his shifter gets stuck. Next day he's in the shop forking over $3,000 for a new trans. Then his waterpump starts leaking ...another few hundred.

Unless you know how to work on cars then do not waste your money on an older European car. That bargain $10,000 car will turn into a money pit real quick.

well in this instance, what if its not for me.  
So you are saying that the maintenance cost of a lower level german car from 75k mi to 125k mi is approx 5 grand?
And then what is your suggestion for the cheapest way to get in and potentially out of a moderately flashy car?

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
He hit me with a pm, thanks 'parker'  ;)

well in this instance, what if its not for me.  
So you are saying that the maintenance cost of a lower level german car from 75k mi to 125k mi is approx 5 grand?
And then what is your suggestion for the cheapest way to get in and potentially out of a moderately flashy car?

$5k is just a ball park number. If you're patient and search for a car you can come across a good price and very well maintained one. You could spend more or less...very arbitrary number.

But around the 100,000 mile mark on ANY car...not just german you're going to have to start dropping decent loads of cash into the car so it runs fine.

Cheapest way to get into a moderately flashy car is a lexus or infiniti.

I love german cars. The words cheap and german do not go together.
Buddy of mine had a 2000 boxster. I remember he had some basic thing done to the engine and it was some astronomical number at the time for some normal engine work.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »

belts
water pump
spark plugs
brakes
rotors
fluids
tires
battery

well anybody who would buy even a low mileage 02 745 bmw would be asking for trouble due to the fact when they were new out of the showroom they were disasters from the get go,horrible yr trans,electrical issues ,i drive horrible.that car did not get right to later  on.new f1 has nice look to it.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
Not a big fan of the move to turbo. More efficient, but also more liable to end up in the shop.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
If you take a look at the hood, with it's lines, you'll notice that they are right off of the GINA and Vision concepts. The GINA is the concept witht the "skin" insteof metal...
and this is the Hyundai Sonata, with it's overdone melted face, looks like a Camry/Lexus ES330

Vs. the F10 5 series

Yeah they look way too similar. I don't know cars by their chassy numbers but I liked the BMW 5 series 2 generations ago.

The last generation grew on me, but still didn't look that good especially from the back.
This new one ...it's a disguised sonata.