Author Topic: BMW M1  (Read 6965 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: BMW M1
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 05:24:09 AM »
I had 635 CSi . Great car. I like BMW. The make some good cars
I love the m6 from that gen..e32/e34 m3 and m5's..e38 740i was a long and nice looking with m packaged rims but oil leaks were the norm,i worked with bmw 13 yrs and I saw everything 98/2010 ,,e65 745/75o came out the body design was a welcome from the older e38 but I saw cars not even make it out of parking lot on customer delivery with srs,trans faults,i drive issues ,programming was so advanced we had techs that only sat at programming stations all day to get them fixed..

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 05:25:39 AM »
Drove it for two years and never had a problem. That's what you think reliability is?

When I was younger I had a Toyota for 17 years. Outside of brakes, filters, spark plugs, tires and oil changes the thing just ran perfect. Everything just worked. Then I sold it to a college kid and now it's running 21 years without a problem. A typical BMW from new to 10 years will have a lot of repairs and headaches.

I've had a lot of new cars. Mainly Ford Crown vics and a Dodge Durango. The last brand new Crown Vic I had the trans that went in 10k miles leaving me stranded. It was repaired and then worked perfectly. I also had problems with the Dodge Durango trans with under 40K miles slipping.

Since the majority of people rent cars for 2 to 3 years  in general will not see problems of bad engineering or poor quality checking during manufacturing. If you buy a car instead of leasing you would be insane not have reliability as the number one feature you want.

there are lemons and there are great cars and there's always one of each from every line in every auto manufacturer.

I have a BMW I bought new in 09. I have 190k on it. all I have done is brakes at 120k oil and tires and just did the plugs last month. I had a suspension piece replaced this year but that due to the goat trail roads that I live on. the car has been nothing short of what a reliable well made car should be. not a squeak rattle or noise when driving even at hwy speeds up to 120. I would not hesitate to buy another one. I admit I bought it for the badge, but after having been so impressed w this car I'd buy it if it had a Kia badge on it instead. I have little doubt I'll pull another 100k out of it easily.

my gf has a 1998 ford f150 work truck she bought new. w just standard maintenance and some bearing work she's managed to put 500k on it. lol that blows my mind.

I think, and I don't know how it's possible, every once in a while a car rolls off the line that's indestructible. and then the car after it will need work every time you turn the key.

I'm hoping I got a 500k car. we'll see. the only way to win at the car game is to buy it and run that fucker till the wheels fall off and pray you get 15 years out of it. fingers crossed. :D
b

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 05:31:32 AM »

there are lemons and there are great cars and there's always one of each from every line in every auto manufacturer.

I have a BMW I bought new in 09. I have 190k on it. all I have done is brakes at 120k oil and tires and just did the plugs last month. I had a suspension piece replaced this year but that due to the goat trail roads that I live on. the car has been nothing short of what a reliable well made car should be. not a squeak rattle or noise when driving even at hwy speeds up to 120. I would not hesitate to buy another one. I admit I bought it for the badge, but after having been so impressed w this car I'd buy it if it had a Kia badge on it instead. I have little doubt I'll pull another 100k out of it easily.

my gf has a 1998 ford f150 work truck she bought new. w just standard maintenance and some bearing work she's managed to put 500k on it. lol that blows my mind.

I think, and I don't know how it's possible, every once in a while a car rolls off the line that's indestructible. and then the car after it will need work every time you turn the key.

I'm hoping I got a 500k car. we'll see. the only way to win at the car game is to buy it and run that fucker till the wheels fall off and pray you get 15 years out of it. fingers crossed. :D
ALL I've done on mine 105,000 starter,alternator just last week,battery,oil,and fr and rear pads/rotors.plugs I have to do should be done 100k..tires last yr I got it with 54,000 5 yrs ago..

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »
ALL I've done on mine 105,000 starter,alternator just last week,battery,oil,and fr and rear pads/rotors.plugs I have to do should be done 100k..tires last yr I got it with 54,000 5 yrs ago..

I have yet to do a starter alternator or any frequent use part like that. I've been lucky but the total sum of my milage is all hwy so my brakes and parts that wear from use seem to be holding up well.

my run flats lasted for ever. must be the compound they use they wore really well.
b

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 05:42:34 AM »
You are German, correct?
Austrian

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 06:08:41 AM »
Austrian
Well, you guys tend to treat your cars better. And the 80s BMW were better in terms of quality.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 06:16:37 AM »
Drove it for two years and never had a problem. That's what you think reliability is?

When I was younger I had a Toyota for 17 years. Outside of brakes, filters, spark plugs, tires and oil changes the thing just ran perfect. Everything just worked. Then I sold it to a college kid and now it's running 21 years without a problem. A typical BMW from new to 10 years will have a lot of repairs and headaches.

I've had a lot of new cars. Mainly Ford Crown vics and a Dodge Durango. The last brand new Crown Vic I had the trans that went in 10k miles leaving me stranded. It was repaired and then worked perfectly. I also had problems with the Dodge Durango trans with under 40K miles slipping.

Since the majority of people rent cars for 2 to 3 years  in general will not see problems of bad engineering or poor quality checking during manufacturing. If you buy a car instead of leasing you would be insane not have reliability as the number one feature you want.
In those 2 years I put about 100k km on it. I just got my license so you  can imagine how exited I was driving legally.
I lived in the Alps /mountains so almost all my driving back there was very demanding. Not to speak of extreme colds in the wintertime when everything freezes and you have to drive  steep mountain roads. Engine takes a real beating from cooling down to freezing. then warming up again and so on 5 times a day.
I took it to Barcelona and back in the winter and all kinds of crazy places.
That car I knew I could trust. It never gave me any kind of a problem. How I know it was a good car ? I bought also a Renault Alpine A310 before the BMW.
After 5 days  the cooling system already failed and then electric problems etc.etc. I sold it after 2 months because I was always worried to brake down some where and be stranded. I went thru many cars over the years incl. Jaguar, Ford 150 Mercedes 560sl and more ... but I think I loved the 635 CSi the most. Because I remember it as the times when everything was easy back then and the car  did exactly what I wanted it do .The only reason I sold it was because I moved to Los Angeles but it was very hard for me to let go of it.
I just "cant"  say anything bad  about the BMW 635Csi. Telling this experience makes me almost want to get another one and race thru Europe again.lol

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 06:19:50 AM »
Well, you guys tend to treat your cars better. And the 80s BMW were better in terms of quality.
That's true on both. Taking care of my cars was my yoga !

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »

Im pretty sure you will :D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 06:31:49 AM »

I have trouble believing what you wrote unless there is a misunderstanding. You did no brake maintenance on a BMW until 120K? A Ford pick up went 500k with standard maintenance?  That is an insane anomaly.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 06:41:32 AM »
I have yet to do a starter alternator or any frequent use part like that. I've been lucky but the total sum of my milage is all hwy so my brakes and parts that wear from use seem to be holding up well.

my run flats lasted for ever. must be the compound they use they wore really well.
I HATE RUNFLATS for simple reason a bubble and you have to change tire and plugging them is not recommended,if you buy/lease a new bmw/merc/or any runflat tire vehice getting tire insureance is a must!runflats on smooth road are great but hit a bump hard or pothole and the whole car feels like it will blow apart,i had a 335 a rocket it had runflats and it felt every bump.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 06:56:47 AM »
I have trouble believing what you wrote unless there is a misunderstanding. You did no brake maintenance on a BMW until 120K? A Ford pick up went 500k with standard maintenance?  That is an insane anomaly.

My car has 250k miles on the clock and the brake pads and discs were only changed once.
Clutch has never been changed and still is rock solid. I know people who change clutches every 50k miles lol.

Highway driving or city driving makes a huge difference.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
I have trouble believing what you wrote unless there is a misunderstanding. You did no brake maintenance on a BMW until 120K? A Ford pick up went 500k with standard maintenance?  That is an insane anomaly.

lol what do I have to gain from lying? if anything on this board Im 100% truthful.

like cholo said those are kms. perhaps that might make it a bit more digestible for you. however it doesn't change the facts I stated. :D

oh and that brake maintenance was just pads, not rotors. :)
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
I HATE RUNFLATS for simple reason a bubble and you have to change tire and plugging them is not recommended,if you buy/lease a new bmw/merc/or any runflat tire vehice getting tire insureance is a must!runflats on smooth road are great but hit a bump hard or pothole and the whole car feels like it will blow apart,i had a 335 a rocket it had runflats and it felt every bump.

they are def not the most comfortable riding tire altho I didn't mind them as in the summer I run a 19" rim w a non runflat low profile staggered fitment 235r19 up front 265r19 in back and the rides were comparable.
b

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »
Had many of them, BMWs are top cars... At least until few years ago, it's true that recent models are like boats in corners, bad steering and suspensions... They still had monstrous engines though... Between them had a 2006 335i Coupè, beautiful, horrible in corners, but the twin turbo engine was unbelievable, owned many sports car in straight line... Also had a 130i M, great car... Currently have an E46 M3, one of the greatest car ever made, period...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 09:21:39 AM »
Had many of them, BMWs are top cars... At least until few years ago, it's true that recent models are like boats in corners, bad steering and suspensions... They still had monstrous engines though... Between them had a 2006 335i Coupè, beautiful, horrible in corners, but the twin turbo engine was unbelievable, owned many sports car in straight line... Also had a 130i M, great car... Currently have an E46 M3, one of the greatest car ever made, period...
my 3 current dream bmw are your e46 m3,e60 m5 or 550,i loved e36 cosmos black or violet m3..

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
my 3 current dream bmw are your e46 m3,e60 m5 or 550,i loved e36 cosmos black or violet m3..
Believe me, the M3 E46 is pure awesomeness... Wanted the mighty CSL, but it's pricey, so ended up with the "basic" model... There is also a rare CS model... E60 M5, tried it, both sedan and station wagon, that F1-like 10 cylinders engine is a monster... You simply can't go wrong with those M series...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »
Believe me, the M3 E46 is pure awesomeness... Wanted the mighty CSL, but it's pricey, so ended up with the "basic" model... There is also a rare CS model... E60 M5, tried it, both sedan and station wagon, that F1-like 10 cylinders engine is a monster... You simply can't go wrong with those M series...
NOPE ,,THE 335 TWIN TURBO 2007 1ST GEN I HAD WAS AWESOME WHEN IT CAME TIME TO CHANGE LANES LIKE A ROCKET .I FORGOT E39 M5
IS ON MY LIST TOO...I DROVE EVERY VEHICLE TO 98/2010..I DO HEAR ABOUT NEW 5 BEING HORRIBLE HANDLING ,MY E60 FEELS STILL AWESOME 530 LOVE IT AND STYLING I GET COMPLIMENTS ON.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »
NOPE ,,THE 335 TWIN TURBO 2007 1ST GEN I HAD WAS AWESOME WHEN IT CAME TIME TO CHANGE LANES LIKE A ROCKET .I FORGOT E39 M5
IS ON MY LIST TOO...I DROVE EVERY VEHICLE TO 98/2010..I DO HEAR ABOUT NEW 5 BEING HORRIBLE HANDLING ,MY E60 FEELS STILL AWESOME 530 LOVE IT AND STYLING I GET COMPLIMENTS ON.
With the Coupè Twin Turbo it was fun in straight lines, raped many Imprezas Sti and Lancers Evo, tuned also... A friend of mine has the old 400hp E39 M5, love it... Agreed about the E60 530, great car, elegant with superb engine...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »
With the Coupè Twin Turbo it was fun in straight lines, raped many Imprezas Sti and Lancers Evo, tuned also... A friend of mine has the old 400hp E39 M5, love it... Agreed about the E60 530, great car, elegant with superb engine...
I like your knowledge here,,,what saves me is I have e60 with e39 engine m54 is a beast easy to repair.twin turbo inline 6 is where they had trouble.lifters.waste gates,turbo,hi pressure fuel pump,pressure sensors all or most had to be replaced in later 3/5 series..now single turbo 4 cyl is new to there market,,,what do u think of the 4 series?great lines I think..

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »
e30, e24, e28, great looking cars love the square designs.

Would love to have a e30 or e24 and fit a nice big engine, s38b38 or turbo'd M50.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »
Beautiful.
I remember seeing a lot of vintage BMWs from the classic era in top condition near where I lived - all driven by older dudes from well off neighbor hoods which stopped by at the post office under me.
I literally was living the dream from my kitchen window.  :D

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:17 PM »

Good luck with all the fuel pump issues  ;D

N54 motor was a beast , much better tuning than n55

S55 is more similar to n54 on f80 m3 so that's a good thing

M5/m6 engines are hard to crack as well (ecu) Mercedes AMG m157 I think it's called with that 5.5 turbo is much better

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2014, 04:59:01 PM »
My buddy kev that used to post , don't see him much in here since he's always busy now has a badass supercharged e92 M3. Car puts out like 650 Hp! Insanely fast

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
My buddy kev that used to post , don't see him much in here since he's always busy now has a badass supercharged e92 M3. Car puts out like 650 Hp! Insanely fast
You know that Gintani has a Twin Turbo kit now for the e9X M3?

[/youtube]