Author Topic: Bob Cicherillo's MC'ing Skills - Good or bad?  (Read 4994 times)

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
Re: Bob Cicherillo's MC'ing Skills - Good or bad?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 06:06:22 PM »
They should hire David lee roth

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 06:14:27 PM »
No matter what you do, or emcee, you will always have someone against you, just because.   Tons of people like Bob's style, had sense of humor, his passion for the sport, and way of emceeing, and a few do not.  Same with any emcee.  People just love to complain.   Look at the half time show of the Super Bowl.  I and my family and many others thought it was a good 15 minutes concert, Latin style, from Miami.  Others did not.

But isn't it always the same - the ones that complain the most get more attention, than the ones that just enjoy.  It is 10 times harder to offer praise to someone than to complain about them.

Not sure why he gets a lot crap here other than GetBig tends to crap on everybody but I'm a huge fan of Bob. The Olympia would never be the same without him.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 06:15:17 PM »
Not sure why he gets a lot crap here other than GetBig tends to crap on everybody but I'm a huge fan of Bob. The Olympia would never be the same without him.

Getbiggers tend to crap on him and phil because they say Phil is “arrogant”  ::)

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 06:16:08 PM »
he sucks and is a piece of shit human being as well. bob has always came off as an asshole  4th tier pro as well.

How do you qualify for the Olympia being 4th tier?

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 06:16:32 PM »
SF1900 and/or True Adonis should be MC.

I heard TA is bald now

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
At his absolute best, he would never win a pro card today.

What are you talking about? It was way, way harder getting pro card in those days than today. Who would dispute that?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 06:22:54 PM »
I heard TA is bald now

Maybe this is why he is not posting.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
Maybe this is why he is not posting.

He got banned. TA's hair always reminded me of Mike Katz in P.I. so balding is inevitable.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
How do you qualify for the Olympia being 4th tier?

Answer:  The Mirage Ice Machine.  ;D

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 07:35:06 PM »
At his absolute best, he would never win a pro card today.

At his best today he could win a low tier pro show! Or two....

Some of shitty ass Pro champs we have had last decade, it's changed a lot since the 90's

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »
Bob has always been cool with me and he`s no Henny youngman but he can be quite funny and humerous at times.

And for those of you putting down his physique........he competed in an era and in a class of complete legendary animals................. and how`s your Mr. Olympia training going ?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 09:21:32 PM »
The fucking suits have to go though Bob !!  LOL  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »
Bob is fine. I know of Robert Michael, as I've said before, was buddies with his brother. No one is perfect at the job of MC, he did the best he could and delivered well. Bob is one of the few, heed my words here, who can actually string together a simple sentence in the IFBB pro ranks. You put Kai up there and he will go off on an imaginary tangent and then try to fuck his friend Lucille, that just so happens to be his left hand. You put Ronnie up there and he will "Yabba dabba dooo" his ass into another spine surgery. You put most of the other former pro bodybuilders up there (short of Arnold - he would be great at the MC gig) and they will fail. They are mostly, and I say this with all due respect, very, very simple men. Bob has a way to work a crowd, has some basic acting skills and likes to shoot the shit while calling the Olympia.

I know he has done some shit to rub people the wrong way, but when you consider the alternative, there really isn't much. If the Rock decided to do it, then yes, it could be pretty cool. He is well spoken and has charisma for days. But even then, Bob is familiar with the sport at the granular level, very few can claim that.

"1"
One More Rep always telling it like it is and from first hand experience in this case.

Rahchcha

Jayel

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 12:26:08 AM »
No matter what you do, or emcee, you will always have someone against you, just because.   Tons of people like Bob's style, had sense of humor, his passion for the sport, and way of emceeing, and a few do not.  Same with any emcee.  People just love to complain.   Look at the half time show of the Super Bowl.  I and my family and many others thought it was a good 15 minutes concert, Latin style, from Miami.  Others did not.

But isn't it always the same - the ones that complain the most get more attention, than the ones that just enjoy.  It is 10 times harder to offer praise to someone than to complain about them.

Ron, can you give us the 411 on Palumbo vs Chick. That whole thing went away very quickly. Dave promised if wrong, he would make an apology video but nothing came out. What happened behind the scenes?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 04:22:39 AM »

Great post, Ron.  I vividly recall Bob Chick interviewing figure competitor Aleisha Hart at the 2012 Toronto Pro for Muscular Development.  I don't want to read anything into this that isn't accurate...but Aleisha was 35 at the time, and Chick was 46 [definitely within the same dating age range], and I could swear that Aleisha had some level of interest in Bob.

I could say more...but...since I'm talking about two real people and could be wrong, I'll just leave it at that.

It does remind me of what 240 or Burst said about Bob having slept with over 100 figure girls!

I could see those numbers being higher.  Bob will be turning 55 this year, so those numbers may be slowing down, but...it just makes me wonder if jealousy is the thing with Bob.

Bob and I had a bit of a history on here and elsewhere before, most of which was positive.  All I can say is...I spoke to Bob during my hiatus from Getbig [I think around 2012-2016, somewhere in there], and I said that I love how Getbig has so many people who speak their minds...but some people DO take it too far.

I think insulting people's wives should be off-limits.  Same with their kids, and other family members.  Bob was on the same page, and it seemed clear to me that he had left the boards for similar reasons.

Keep in mind that it is a bit different for those of us posting using our real names...it's not as easy, when someone posts your address online, even if nothing will come of it.  It can get hectic at times!

Speaking of the Toronto Pro, the next year after the incident where I could SWEAR that Aleisha Hart wanted to shag Chick, or vice versa...or both!
 Lol!...in 2013, Clarence DeVis and Marcus Haley posed to Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana" one after the other. When Frank McGrath went on next [not in the video below], his music didn't work then Bob Cicherillo said that he could just pose to Dirty Diana and the crowd laughed. He then said the IFBB has a two Dirty Diana limit, LOLOL.

What was the contest where Bob was compared Kai Greene with another competitor and said "It's apples and grapefruits up there"?  LOL.

You know that Bob had that one saved.  ;D

FYI, YouTube gave me some trouble for this video since a Michael Jackson song is playing it, so I just reopened it, but only to "Unlisted" so that people can see what I'm talking about, about the IFBB's "two Dirty Diana limit", LOL.

Here is the video when Frank McGrath's music was messing up and Bob said that the IFBB has a two Dirty Diana limit, LOL.

Notice how YouTube is really messing with the music on my videos...even videos I'm taking in a public place where I had nothing to do with videos because the music is either playing on the radio or playing on the stage [in the case below].

Notice how the music stops at 10 seconds in, and restarts again at 1:39.  :-\

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 04:29:41 AM »
SF1900 and/or True Adonis should be MC.

I second that.
X

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 04:30:13 AM »
I thought he was good, but that “ your daddy’s Mr. Olympia “ statement when interacting with Roden and his family on stage at the Olympia was “uncomfortable” to say the very least.

J

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 04:47:39 AM »
Off-topic slightly, but speaking of Aleisha Hart, the figure competitor who I strongly suspected either wanted to shag Bob Chick, or Bob Chick wanted to shag her, or BOTH, here is a clip from her from 2011...she is one in a long line of IFBB figure competitors or bodybuilders, etc, who always stay covered up!!

Kai Greene is notorious for this!

I saw him at the Toronto Pro in 2013 and he was completely covered up outside of his guest-posing!

MEANWHILE, THE GUY WAS HUGE AND SHREDDED.

Kai ALWAYS stays covered up, as do so many others!

In fact, as some of you know - *I* would wear tank tops at the expos, lol!!  And once I was talking to Tad the Diet Coach, and someone came up to us talking and took a picture!

At the 2007 Mr. Olympia, I was at the press conference with the friends of mine I went with [Peter Skaf and Matt Zupansky], and an Asian girl sitting next to me asked to take a photo with me!  Lol!!  I honestly have no idea why, but would assume that if I was ugly, she wouldn't have asked.

But for people to take a photo of ME in a tank top, just because I had my IFBB press pass tag on, and the guy taking the photo probably thought I was a physique competitor or something, just goes to show how rare muscle is in general.  And if we can't go to the biggest bodybuilding events in the world and expect to see some muscle...where can we expect to see it!?

Also, while it may sound arrogant to think someone was confusing me for a physique competitor, this happened many times when I was going backstage to interview people.  I would be asked by people if I was a physique competitor when they were going over their list of "approved" people to go in various places [such as the Brehm Room when the Arnold Classic used to be held in the Veteran's Memorial Center in Columbus, and other places that were off-limits to some people].

Aleisha Hart!  Also Natalie Waples - also covered up!  And George Farah and Tad the Diet Coach are ALSO jacked men - I don't see why they wouldn't be wearing a tank top!

Kai Greene...completely covered up at the 2013 Toronto Pro expo!  Starts 27 seconds in, but the intro is pretty cool!:

Meanwhile, he looked like THIS!  Why stay covered up?  What does he think that the fans come to see, if not for his size?

It goes to show that Kai is very insecure, and is most likely an extremely good candidate for "Bigorexia".

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 04:49:07 AM »
I thought he was good, but that “ your daddy’s Mr. Olympia “ statement when interacting with Roden and his family on stage at the Olympia was “uncomfortable” to say the very least.

J

I think there have been a few fails by Bob while at press conferences or other places...but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

What was the context of your statement about "your daddy's Mr. Olympia"?  Was Chick saying this to Rhoden's daughter?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 04:55:15 AM »
LOL, once again with respect with my encyclopedic memory [but HORRIBLE photographic memory...absolute garbage], I remembered this video, but all I remembered was that she was in a food booth!  And since I have over 1,000 videos on this YouTube channel alone, I knew it would be hard for me to find!

So I searched for "toronto pro food [sic]" and found it.

I asked this woman if I could get some footage of her [because of her smoking hot body], and she asked "Sure, that's fine with me, but is it ok that I'm almost naked?"

I was like..."That won't be a problem, ma'am."

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 07:38:04 AM »
He's good, cocky and disrespectful at times ....but very good actually ...

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 05:44:45 PM »
Bob is supposed to the be the "Athletes Rep" but what has he ever done for anyone?  Shawn was the original AR, but he quit because he was getting no support from up high, they were basically just using his fame and image for mouth service.   Bob simply got the job because no one else wanted it.  He's an ass kisser trying to stay relevant in a "sport" that he never excelled at.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
He's trying to entertain and inform the crowd about one of the most boring bullshit repetitive douche bag sports of all time.  He's doing the best he can with the product he's trying to sell.
a

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2020, 07:34:46 PM »
They should hire David lee roth

Not a bad idea. I actually like the Sinbad years, etc.... There's got to be more famous schmoes they could tap to do hosting duties, promo, etc....

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »
He's good, cocky and disrespectful at times ....but very good actually ...

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Great post!

That's sort of my line of thinking on this...for whatever Bob's faults are, I have no idea why anyone would think replacing him would improve anything.

I think selling the Mr. Olympia promotion will probably help bodybuilding because people like Jim Manion were not allowing social media to cover bodybuilding, whereas every other bodybuilding contest promotion was taking full advantage of social media.  Manion's attempt to get a monopoly on bodybuilding did NOTHING but prevent word of mouth from spreading on people's Olympia experiences.

The Olympia will be better with Manion not having as much of a leading role.

But in other cases, the old guard being retired or replaced did not makes things better.  An example of this was Joe Weider.  Now that Joe Weider has been dead for almost seven years now, are bodybuilders getting paid more?  I don't think so.  Likewise, I don't think anything will improve with a new MC.  And I'm not saying the MC position is impossible for a person to learn, but IMO, promotions should just stick with proven entities, and Bob is a proven entity.

It's like using Bruce Buffer as a UFC announcer.  I'm sure they could get someone younger to replace him...but there are risks with that.  What if the younger replacement isn't as good?  What if the younger replacement isn't able to do the work because his voice may be just as good, but his memory or stamina, or something else may not be as good?  What if the younger replacement can't handle the schedule, and retires after a year?