Author Topic: BMI 'Vastly Underestimates' True Obesity  (Read 869 times)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
BMI 'Vastly Underestimates' True Obesity
« on: June 19, 2023, 06:35:58 PM »
Twice as many US adults have obesity based on assessment of their fat volume by DEXA scan compared with measurement of body mass index (BMI), a finding that highlights the shortcomings of BMI and adds to the growing case that BMI alone should not be the default gauge for obesity.
"BMI vastly underestimates true obesity," Aayush Visaria, MD, said at ENDO 2023: The Endocrine Society Annual Meeting.

His findings highlight that "BMI should be supplemented with other measures of obesity" for the management of individual patients, with assessments that could include a bioelectrical impedance scale or waist circumference, said Visaria, who is a researcher at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

Visaria cited a new policy issued by the American Medical Association a couple of days before his presentation, as reported by Medscape Medical News, which advises that BMI "be used in conjunction with other valid measures of risk such as, but not limited to, measurements of visceral fat, body adiposity index, body composition, relative fat mass, waist circumference, and genetic/metabolic factors."

The study by Visaria and colleagues used data from 9784 US adults ages 20-59 years (average age, 39 years) collected in several National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys in 2011-2018. All these participants underwent DEXA assessment of their total body fat as well as a BMI calculation.
Using standard obesity cutoffs for both BMI and total body fat, Visaria found that DEXA rated 74% of participants as having obesity based on body fat compared with 36% based on BMI.
Among the 64% of the study group who were not obese by BMI, DEXA scans showed 53% of this subgroup did have obesity based on body fat content. Among those with a normal BMI, 43% had obesity by DEXA result.

Further analysis showed that when Visaria added waist circumference to BMI to enlarge the diagnostic net for obesity it cut the percentage of adults missed as having obesity by BMI alone nearly in half.
Additional analyses showed that the rate of missed diagnoses of obesity by BMI was only most common among people of Hispanic or Asian ethnicity, with both groups showing a 49% rate of obesity by DEXA among those with normal-range BMIs.

The rate of missed obesity diagnoses was highest among all women, with a 59% prevalence of obesity by DEXA among women with a normal-range BMI.

Basically, this study measured almost 10,000 Americans BMI and bodyfat percentage.  Obesity was defined as bodyfat percentage of 25% or more in men (unsure of the percentage for women).  Almost 3/4 of participants were found to have obese levels of bodyfat, even though only around 1/3 had obese BMI.

I thought this study was kinda funny because BMI is often criticized by weightlifters for failing to account for increased levels of muscle, with the implication that it overestimates obesity.  You often hear this from bloofy permabulkers, eg “I’m not obese, muscle weighs more than fat!”  Turns out, it’s the opposite … bmi UNDERestimates obesity  :-X

The other, more concerning, number is that 3/4 study participants had obese levels of bodyfat.  Three out of four!  Insanely fucked

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
Re: BMI 'Vastly Underestimates' True Obesity
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 06:44:27 PM »
Basically, this study measured almost 10,000 Americans BMI and bodyfat percentage.  Obesity was defined as bodyfat percentage of 25% or more in men (unsure of the percentage for women).  Almost 3/4 of participants were found to have obese levels of bodyfat, even though only around 1/3 had obese BMI.

I thought this study was kinda funny because BMI is often criticized by weightlifters for failing to account for increased levels of muscle, with the implication that it overestimates obesity.  You often hear this from bloofy permabulkers, eg “I’m not obese, muscle weighs more than fat!”  Turns out, it’s the opposite … bmi UNDERestimates obesity  :-X

The other, more concerning, number is that 3/4 study participants had obese levels of bodyfat.  Three out of four!  Insanely fucked

Underestimates in skinny fat people who don’t train and overestimates in weight trained individuals moron you are trying to apply one rule to two very different populations it’s not a standard bell curve distribution.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 06:51:26 PM »
Underestimates in skinny fat people who don’t train and overestimates in weight trained individuals moron you are trying to apply one rule to two very different populations it’s not a standard bell curve distribution.

Seems like I struck a nerve.  Are you sensitive about your body?  Not sure why else you’d respond so aggressively.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 07:36:50 PM »
Seems like I struck a nerve.  Are you sensitive about your body?  Not sure why else you’d respond so aggressively.

He's strung out on amphetamines.

You are a pretty laid back dude.

No wonder hanky doesn't have a single friend.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 04:10:07 AM »

Agreed.

BMI tables were probably more useful 70-80 years ago (WW2 era) when people were leaner and fitter.

However, even excess muscular weight lowers lifespan.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 05:34:35 AM »

Keep in mind this is the same genius who thinks his resting heart rate of 100+ is normal and healthy.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 05:43:13 AM »
Agreed.

BMI tables were probably more useful 70-80 years ago (WW2 era) when people were leaner and fitter.

However, even excess muscular weight lowers lifespan.

This really is only an issue for high dosage gear users. Nattys only put on a few pounds and offset that with lower than average BF levels.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 06:26:47 AM »
Many smart Dr's don't pay attention to aged nonsense... My BMI is 34 or so (Obese) you can see my abs.  ::)
Doc said "don't worry about it, you're heavily muscled."

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 06:38:33 AM »
"y'all's time is over"
Q

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 06:48:12 AM »
"y'all's time is over"

BMI Uncle Toms.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2023, 06:49:53 AM »
Bro...

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2023, 12:07:36 PM »
BMI standards are ‘racist’: American Medical Association

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/bmi-standards-are-racist-american-medical-association/

The American Medical Association, or the AMA, the largest organization of doctors in the U.S., is ready to say “goodbye” to determining healthy body weight solely by BMI, owing to the measurement’s inherently “racist” roots.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 12:40:55 PM »

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/bmi-standards-are-racist-american-medical-association/

The American Medical Association, or the AMA, the largest organization of doctors in the U.S., is ready to say “goodbye” to determining healthy body weight solely by BMI, owing to the measurement’s inherently “racist” roots.

Obesity is the new Hunger.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2023, 12:47:18 PM »

Not sensitive you are just dumb you write up an entire page without realizing the basic flaw in your argument

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 01:09:55 PM »

Political correctness has detrimental effects. It isn't just about accommodating others. It can hurt the public. People need to know that it isn't healthy to be fat and they need to be told that they are fat.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2023, 01:17:10 PM »

The bodybuilder category can be broken down:
There are some pretty big and strong, "solid" looking men who are likely around 25% body fat.

So...the very start of the obese range.

We should also consider that obesity ranges from 25% body fat, all the way up to...the world's fattest person's level of body fat, basically...

EDIT:
This is [or was] World's Fattest Man, Juan Pedro Franco. He weighed 1,311-lb [93.6 Stones], and allegedly dropped 728-lb [52 Stones].

But that still puts him at 583-lb, so he would still be morbidly obese.

Basically...with obesity, like with so many other things, "There are levels to this".

https://globalnews.ca/news/3877483/worlds-heaviest-man-undergoes-surgery-hopes-to-lose-half-his-weight/

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 02:56:51 PM »
Political correctness has detrimental effects. It isn't just about accommodating others. It can hurt the public. People need to know that it isn't healthy to be fat and they need to be told that they are fat.

I’m OK with fat people just dying clueless.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2023, 05:58:33 PM »
He's strung out on amphetamines.

You are a pretty laid back dude.

No wonder hanky doesn't have a single friend.

I appreciate the kind remarks  8)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »

Frankly I think it the problem is too deeply rooted and systemic for that approach to be effective.  I think legislation is needed at some level.

I was a huge fan of the soda tax here in Chicago.  Seemed pretty logical to me: if Soda costs more, people drink less of it over time.  Kinda like with cigarettes.  People FREAKED out though, I remember one lady telling me she would drive to Indiana to buy soda to avoid the taxes …… I was speechless.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2023, 06:03:38 PM »
Many smart Dr's don't pay attention to aged nonsense... My BMI is 34 or so (Obese) you can see my abs.  ::)
Doc said "don't worry about it, you're heavily muscled."

You sexy bastard.