Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ  (Read 603743 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ
« Reply #1400 on: March 11, 2020, 09:01:33 PM »
and heres the real problem with arnold winning.  he didnt look like arnold. period. we expected him to come in looking like he always did. but he didnt. he was still better than everyone else but he didnt look like "arnold". so some people say he shouldnt of won.  people like mentzer and zane etc always look good standing by themselves. but when compared to a real bodybuilder like arnold they dont  cut it. now arnold wasnt superior in every pose but he was in enough to win.  people liked menzter because they are lazy and thought his way of training would work for them ( in reality he used volume just everyone else) and zane they liked because he had a very small build like a swimmer . easily attainable for almost anyone. by himself zane did look good. but next to arnold? forget about it. and dickerson?  wtf. he shouldnt of even been on stage.  mentzer went nuts after this his world crashed around him.  just so people know. arnold did patch things up (kinda) with mike. he actually offered to help ray ( mikes brother) with hospital bills etc( ray needed a kidney) 

People like Mentzer because they are lazy? Dorian was lazy?

And have you ever seen Mike or Ray train in real life. I have. Not Mike, but Ray , and he did not train using the traditional volume routine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1401 on: March 11, 2020, 09:05:08 PM »
and heres the real problem with arnold winning.  he didnt look like arnold. period. we expected him to come in looking like he always did. but he didnt. he was still better than everyone else but he didnt look like "arnold". so some people say he shouldnt of won.  people like mentzer and zane etc always look good standing by themselves. but when compared to a real bodybuilder like arnold they dont  cut it. now arnold wasnt superior in every pose but he was in enough to win.  people liked menzter because they are lazy and thought his way of training would work for them ( in reality he used volume just everyone else) and zane they liked because he had a very small build like a swimmer . easily attainable for almost anyone. by himself zane did look good. but next to arnold? forget about it. and dickerson?  wtf. he shouldnt of even been on stage.  mentzer went nuts after this his world crashed around him.  just so people know. arnold did patch things up (kinda) with mike. he actually offered to help ray ( mikes brother) with hospital bills etc( ray needed a kidney)  

Standing in the lineup Arnold didn't shine. When he started posing things changed. The old Arnold was still there, after all.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1402 on: March 12, 2020, 06:29:30 AM »
pellius.   i didnt say the mentzers were lazy. i said "the people" liked them because THEY were lazy. everyone looking for an "easy" way. so if they "heard" the mentzers did 0ne set every 6 months that lasted 10 seconds then they were all for it. ( the people being lazy not mentzers) as an example. why do you think planet fitness is going so well? they cater to "lazy" people. no real drive no ambition etc but they "work out". lmao. and yes i have seen them train several times and what they say and what they did was 2 different things.   no dorian wasnt lazy. he trained hard but again it was NOT one set . him and the mentzers only counted their very last set as a working set. but they pyrimided up to that last set just like every other bodybuilder does. mentzers did more than dorian but fewer than other bodybuilders. and fyi. they built most of their size training volume. also did you know mike was probably the second bodybuilder to use insulin. he learned how from tim belknap.  and thats why he developed a distended stomach ( plus he trained abs with heavy weights which does not help) he also keeps saying how he was the first and only bodybuilder to get "a perfect score)". ( 300 points)  so he thought he was perfect. lmao.  but the first person was actually carlos rodriguize ( not spelled right i know)  but no one ever heard of him bragging etc. besides weider actually was pushing for mike to be his next poster boy due to his popularity and big arnold put a stop to that didnt he. mike was a nut case. and at best only an "ok" bodybuilder.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1403 on: March 13, 2020, 01:20:34 AM »
pellius.   i didnt say the mentzers were lazy. i said "the people" liked them because THEY were lazy. everyone looking for an "easy" way. so if they "heard" the mentzers did 0ne set every 6 months that lasted 10 seconds then they were all for it. ( the people being lazy not mentzers) as an example. why do you think planet fitness is going so well? they cater to "lazy" people. no real drive no ambition etc but they "work out". lmao. and yes i have seen them train several times and what they say and what they did was 2 different things.   no dorian wasnt lazy. he trained hard but again it was NOT one set . him and the mentzers only counted their very last set as a working set. but they pyrimided up to that last set just like every other bodybuilder does. mentzers did more than dorian but fewer than other bodybuilders. and fyi. they built most of their size training volume. also did you know mike was probably the second bodybuilder to use insulin. he learned how from tim belknap.  and thats why he developed a distended stomach ( plus he trained abs with heavy weights which does not help) he also keeps saying how he was the first and only bodybuilder to get "a perfect score)". ( 300 points)  so he thought he was perfect. lmao.  but the first person was actually carlos rodriguize ( not spelled right i know)  but no one ever heard of him bragging etc. besides weider actually was pushing for mike to be his next poster boy due to his popularity and big arnold put a stop to that didnt he. mike was a nut case. and at best only an "ok" bodybuilder.

So much misinformation that I don't know where to start.

I didn't say, or even remotely imply, that you said the Mentzers were lazy. You said, "people liked menzter because they are lazy".

How do you know that? How do you know what's in people's minds? You don't. You ever think that people leaned toward the principles of Jone's and Mentzer because they think it made sense. They were not just blindly following what everyone else were doing. That as long as you are working within your functional ability, doing things that are already easy, stopping short of failure and beyond (forced reps, negatives, drop sets) that you will not stimulate an adaptive response. Meaning, no matter how many half-ass sets you do it isn't going to stimulate an adaptive response than trying to push yourself and do something your body hasn't done before and isn't used to doing. That's lazy? That's not having drive? You try it. Push a weight until you literally can't budge it at all. I mean, really until you can't budge it. Then force out three or four more reps. Then when you have nothing left to push, try lowering it nice and slow for another three reps, then do some partials until the burn is unbearable. Then tell me how lazy and lack of drive that is.

And what is this absolute bullshit about one set every six months? Why do you have to exaggerate and just make shit up?

And no one, not even Mentzer when he went crazy and overboard on the brief training, preached one set per body part. Do you even know what you are talking about? Where did you get that? It's one all-out set per exercise not per bodypart.

And no one expected anyone to just jump right into a heavy all-out set without a warm-up and doing some setup sets before you do your one work set. Watch Dorian's "Blood and Guts" tape and this time pay attention. As Dorian put it:

"And how many sets per exercise?"

"Ah, ahem, we're going to do, the first exercise we're going to do 3 sets. So we are going to do a light set to get the movement, get everything, get the blood in there. A medium set, to further, you know, get the body and the mind ready. Then the last set is going to be like... like somebody's got a gun to your little baby's head. Yeah. And he's going to pull the trigger unless you fucking give 100%. Life and death. One set. One. "

-- Dorian Yates to Brian Rose, CEO and President of London Real, just before a leg workout.

And how the hell do you know that Mentzer used insulin? He learned it from Tim Beknap? Belknap never used insulin for bbing but because he was a fuking diabetic for chrissakes! And nobody at that time (70s-early 80s) used insulin or knew it's bbing potential. Milos brought that in and he came much later.

And news flash, you don't need insulin to have a gut. Just look at your own stomach. And even at below 10% you relax your gut it will sag. The idea that Mentzer was abusing insulin in 1979 because of some candid pics of him with his gut sagging is just beyond asinine.

And another myth people like you make up is the idea Mentzer built his mass first with volume before he pushed HIT? Have you seen pics when Mentzer and Ray first went to train under Jones? Have you read Mentzer's account of how he stagnated with his progress until he met Casey and then started making progress training under Jones? The pictures are there. What he looked like before and how he went on to get a perfect score at the Universe and win the Heavyweight class at the 79 Mr. Olympia. Not bad for an "OK" bber.

There is no record of Carlos Rodriguez getting a perfect score in any show. Another made up bullshit claim with no evidence.

"In 1978, Mentzer won the Mr. Universe in Acapulco, Mexico with the first and only perfect 300 score. He became a professional bodybuilder after that 1978 Universe win"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mentzer

And exactly when and where did you see Mentzer train? How old are you? From what you have written you really don't have much credibility at all. You just make things up without any evidence.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1404 on: March 13, 2020, 07:13:16 AM »
pellius. yes the people are lazy . i never said they trained the same way as mike and ray. i used the 0ne set every 6 months as a sarcastic way to prove a point.  they thought hey i can do a few sets and get huge( easy sets ) they didnt understand the true concept of what mentzers were trying to say about training. and yes it does sound valid but its wrong on so many levels.  you seem to get your panties in a bunch very easily. relax.. you seem to be wanting to start an argument. i wont argue. this is a bodybuilding site ( supposedly) and yes belknap was a diabetic. and yes he used insulin. but he will be the first to tell you he learned how to use it to his advantage. mike learned it from him .    and yes carlos did in fact get a perfect 300 score. i will go back thru some mags and find which contest ( its listed in an old muscle builder magazine.)  mikes problem was he thought his way and only his way was best. ( he built his body first with volume though) and yes he had a big gut he couldnt control it and it would hang and bulge when he relaxed.  and yes insulin causes that but also using heavy weights will do the same thing( on ab exercises.) mike would always say "look at a sprinter" they run as fast as they can for a short distance and they are muscular. a long distance runner runs for to long and has no muscle.  BUT heres where he is wrong. a sprinter doesnt go to the track run a 220 and go home.  lmao. he runs many ( volume). plus a few 100s etc. doing more runs at different speeds and intensity. again mike didnt address that did he?  AND his sun and tanning analogy cracks me. you can lay in sunshine all day in the winter and not get burned( volume training) but in the summer you will get burned ( intensity)   but the fool forgot you have to increase your exposure to the sun everytime you lay out in it in order to get a tan ( 10 minutes twice a week wont get you tanned) so you need to increase your exposure time ( volume) in order to increase your tan. but he wouldnt budge on his beliefs. in the end mike believed he was something way more than he actually was.  he learned that arnold and many others were way better than him.  he died a bitter lonely out of shape whinner and cry baby with alot of health issues who let losing a contest to a superior bodybuilder ruin his life. and its not like he got second. he got fifth ( tied with boyer for 4th)    i understand your defending you hero( or lover not sure which)  1 thing that he did do well was get people to actually start thinking about what they are doing, cutting some sets and look into overtraining etc.  he was at best an ok bodybuilder and at worst and bullshit artist ( trying to make people think he was pre med and crap) he abused steroids street drugs insulin and even used growth hormone ( from dead people)  he finally lost it mentally. was in and out of institutions  broke and basically was homeless for awhile. if his methods are so great where are all the bodies?  dorian built alot of his mass doing volume first then increased his drugs and did the hardcore stuff but he will tell you mike mentzer did not train him he onlyy used some of his ideas and adjusted them to his needs. he was indeed a smart bodybuilder but didnt know when to quit pushing it ( injurys) so go ahead and counter bitch about my post but im not gonna  respond. i will however find the contest info with carlos. oh and by the way im 60 years old. and i knew alot of the pros and amauters from back in the day.

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #1405 on: March 13, 2020, 07:31:44 AM »
Standing in the lineup Arnold didn't shine. When he started posing things changed. The old Arnold was still there, after all.

Always wonder why you post in Arnold threads after having accused him of rape?

J

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #1406 on: March 13, 2020, 07:56:21 AM »
pellius. yes the people are lazy . i never said they trained the same way as mike and ray. i used the 0ne set every 6 months as a sarcastic way to prove a point.  they thought hey i can do a few sets and get huge( easy sets ) they didnt understand the true concept of what mentzers were trying to say about training. and yes it does sound valid but its wrong on so many levels.  you seem to get your panties in a bunch very easily. relax.. you seem to be wanting to start an argument. i wont argue. this is a bodybuilding site ( supposedly) and yes belknap was a diabetic. and yes he used insulin. but he will be the first to tell you he learned how to use it to his advantage. mike learned it from him .    and yes carlos did in fact get a perfect 300 score. i will go back thru some mags and find which contest ( its listed in an old muscle builder magazine.)  mikes problem was he thought his way and only his way was best. ( he built his body first with volume though) and yes he had a big gut he couldnt control it and it would hang and bulge when he relaxed.  and yes insulin causes that but also using heavy weights will do the same thing( on ab exercises.) mike would always say "look at a sprinter" they run as fast as they can for a short distance and they are muscular. a long distance runner runs for to long and has no muscle.  BUT heres where he is wrong. a sprinter doesnt go to the track run a 220 and go home.  lmao. he runs many ( volume). plus a few 100s etc. doing more runs at different speeds and intensity. again mike didnt address that did he?  AND his sun and tanning analogy cracks me. you can lay in sunshine all day in the winter and not get burned( volume training) but in the summer you will get burned ( intensity)   but the fool forgot you have to increase your exposure to the sun everytime you lay out in it in order to get a tan ( 10 minutes twice a week wont get you tanned) so you need to increase your exposure time ( volume) in order to increase your tan. but he wouldnt budge on his beliefs. in the end mike believed he was something way more than he actually was.  he learned that arnold and many others were way better than him.  he died a bitter lonely out of shape whinner and cry baby with alot of health issues who let losing a contest to a superior bodybuilder ruin his life. and its not like he got second. he got fifth ( tied with boyer for 4th)    i understand your defending you hero( or lover not sure which)  1 thing that he did do well was get people to actually start thinking about what they are doing, cutting some sets and look into overtraining etc.  he was at best an ok bodybuilder and at worst and bullshit artist ( trying to make people think he was pre med and crap) he abused steroids street drugs insulin and even used growth hormone ( from dead people)  he finally lost it mentally. was in and out of institutions  broke and basically was homeless for awhile. if his methods are so great where are all the bodies?  dorian built alot of his mass doing volume first then increased his drugs and did the hardcore stuff but he will tell you mike mentzer did not train him he onlyy used some of his ideas and adjusted them to his needs. he was indeed a smart bodybuilder but didnt know when to quit pushing it ( injurys) so go ahead and counter bitch about my post but im not gonna  respond. i will however find the contest info with carlos. oh and by the way im 60 years old. and i knew alot of the pros and amauters from back in the day.

please edit your walls of text into paragraphs.

it's a good discussion but hard to read.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1407 on: March 13, 2020, 10:55:06 AM »
i have the report but its in jpeg. can anyone tell me how to convert it to jpg?  it was the 1978 mr international held in columbus ohio along with the olympia. carlos got 1st in the lightweight with the first perfect 300 score. joe nazario won the heavyweight and over all. ricky wayne did the write up and the results for muscle builder. march edition i believe. so pelius please do not spew forth crap that you know nothing about . you look like a fool arguing while you are wrong.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1408 on: March 13, 2020, 11:04:24 AM »
In 1980 Both Dickerson and Arnold crush Mentzer from the back.   

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1409 on: March 13, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »
mentzer never had a back ( or chest either) in fact his back was so bad that oscar state even said so during the 1977 mr universe competion. he said "and here it is mentzers weak point"  or something to that effect.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1410 on: March 13, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »
heres the report. clearly stated. cant seem to get it to work i made the pic a gif and it still says cant post it

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1411 on: March 13, 2020, 07:21:35 PM »
heres the report. clearly stated. cant seem to get it to work i made the pic a gif and it still says cant post it

wrong year

edit.   ok you know this is 1978

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #1412 on: March 14, 2020, 01:57:44 AM »
He looked anemic compared to the other competitors, the show was rigged. AS didn’t even train till the last minute , he needed the “Win”🙄 for film publicity.
He cracked wise backstage and was about to catch them hands from my boy Mentzer! 😆

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1413 on: March 14, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »
He looked anemic compared to the other competitors, the show was rigged. AS didn’t even train till the last minute , he needed the “Win”🙄 for film publicity.
He cracked wise backstage and was about to catch them hands from my boy Mentzer! 😆

Really 🙄
1, Get your eyesight tested
2, whatever you smoking stop

HTH 👍🏻

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1414 on: March 15, 2020, 07:54:35 PM »

Again, so much misinformation that again I don't know where to start. You accuse me of wanting to start an argument when I am instead just disagreeing with your views and providing evidence to back it up. You come back with implying I was Mentzer's lover. What's with guys like you? Always preoccupied with homosexuality? Can't you keep your sexuality out of it and just make your argument. You claim that I don't know what I'm talking about because I said Mike was the first to achieve a perfect score. This is well documented. I've found no documentation on Carlos Rodriguez other than the one magazine article you quoted. You may be right but to think my well-documented claim is baseless is just patently wrong. You, by contrast, make claims that you have no way of knowing to be true and there is no evidence supporting it. The absurd idea that Mike used insulin for bbing purposes. You just made that up on the absurd observation that Mike allowed his stomach to sag in candid moments during 1979. He did, after all, win the Mr. Olympia heavyweight class.

It is one thing to say that people are lazy. It is quite another to claim that people switch to HIT BECAUSE they are lazy. I would venture to guess that the vast majority went to HIT because they were getting nowhere training six days a week, two hours a day and are thinking people who just don't follow what everyone else is doing. And again you make the absurd claim as you did with Mentzer, that Dorian built his mass first with volume training when that is just provably wrong. As with Mentzer, who grew after training with Jones, Dorian even stated before stepping on stage to defend his title that he cut back on his training even more and is coming in bigger and better than his previous win. Which he did. BTW, I don't think Dorian ever trained using traditional volume training. He said because he had to work he would train three days a week and only upped to four when he no longer had to work a regular job to support himself. Again, you make claims with zero evidence.

And Mike's analogy (which by definition is not meant to be an exact perfect comparison) between a sprinter and a marathon runner is sound. You just don't understand basic human physiology. The difference between aerobic training (long-distance jogging) and anaerobic, which is what bbing is.
Your analogy about just running a 220 and going home is just an ignorant example. Just like you don't go into a gym and just do one set of an exercise and go home.

Mike lived about three miles away from me in Redondo Beach, Ca. I spoke with him regularly when he was a trainer at Gold's and would bump into both him and Ray on occasion since we lived in the same neighborhood. He was in no way lonely and broke. He was a much in demand speaker and wildly popular in his circle. Even to this day he still has a huge fan base and his website and courses still generate income. I saw first hand how he lived and though he wasn't a multi-millionaire he did quite well. Once again, you make claims about things you simply don't know anything about.

Mike winning the Mr. Olympia heavyweight class.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #1415 on: March 15, 2020, 08:14:25 PM »
Arnold won, fair and square

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1416 on: March 15, 2020, 08:19:32 PM »
HIT can work it all depends upon which variation works best for you.  If I use Mike's last version it nearly kills me for at least a week or more. Usually two.  And that's with just a couple of sets including warm-up and working.

So I rarely do that version. I am not "lazy", I just don't want to spend my life inside a gym even if it is the one in my garage!  ;D

If HIT doesn't work for you, fine!  It's not the end of the world...Corona is, LOL!

Fuck That Noise.  We will win over a freaking virus and the DemocRap driven slide in the markets. Fuck the Dems!  Fuck islime and fuck the ChiComs! Huzzah for the USA and her allies!

And train however the heck you want.  Just train the way that feels and works best for you, keeping in mind that your routine can vary as you see fit.

And Arnold won in 1980.  Franco didn't win in 1981, it should have been Padilla or Platz and 1982 is the BIGGEST farce of all.    ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1417 on: March 15, 2020, 08:38:22 PM »
HIT can work it all depends upon which variation works best for you.  If I use Mike's last version it nearly kills me for at least a week or more. Usually two.  And that's with just a couple of sets including warm-up and working.

So I rarely do that version. I am not "lazy", I just don't want to spend my life inside a gym even if it is the one in my garage!  ;D

If HIT doesn't work for you, fine!  It's not the end of the world...Corona is, LOL!

Fuck That Noise.  We will win over a freaking virus and the DemocRap driven slide in the markets. Fuck the Dems!  Fuck islime and fuck the ChiComs! Huzzah for the USA and her allies!

And train however the heck you want.  Just train the way that feels and works best for you, keeping in mind that your routine can vary as you see fit.

And Arnold won in 1980.  Franco didn't win in 1981, it should have been Padilla or Platz and 1982 is the BIGGEST farce of all.    ;D

Agree, one thing I want to make clear when I talk about HIT and Jones, Mentzer, Dorian, I am not talking about their specific training protocols but I am talking about the principles espoused by Arthur Jones. How it applies to frequency, duration, and intensity. It varies wildly but they all should have one thing in come -- intensity. The belief that as long as you are working within your functional ability. Doing things that you can already do. Then exercise will do little or nothing to stimulate an adaptive response. To me, it just makes perfect sense. If you can do 8 pull-ups and just keep doing 8 session after session, never trying to that 9th rep, what reason does your body have to adapt to? And no amount of half-ass sets can compensate for one intense set.

Another principle that no one really talked about before Jones was recovery. That you only progress outside the gym when you are recovering. Back when I first started it was always "do more" not "train harder". Arnold's first book when he said he and his friends did sixty set squats and then ate a whole chicken really made an impression on me. I remember as a kid spending my Sundays squatting literally all day. Squatting for about two hours in the morning. Have lunch, relax a bit, then squatting another two hours, or whatever it took to do 30 sets, then after dinner have another night session of just squatting. I got zero progress but just killed myself.  

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1418 on: March 15, 2020, 09:14:05 PM »

HIT can work it all depends upon which variation works best for you.  

Absolutely nothing of worth in these statements. Completely meaningless or a tautology.

A theory about hypertrophy can't be what you state above.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1419 on: March 15, 2020, 09:16:42 PM »
Agree, one thing I want to make clear when I talk about HIT and Jones, Mentzer, Dorian, I am not talking about their specific training protocols but I am talking about the principles espoused by Arthur Jones. How it applies to frequency, duration, and intensity. It varies wildly but they all should have one thing in come -- intensity. The belief that as long as you are working within your functional ability. Doing things that you can already do. Then exercise will do little or nothing to stimulate an adaptive response. To me, it just makes perfect sense. If you can do 8 pull-ups and just keep doing 8 session after session, never trying to that 9th rep, what reason does your body have to adapt to? And no amount of half-ass sets can compensate for one intense set.

Another principle that no one really talked about before Jones was recovery. That you only progress outside the gym when you are recovering. Back when I first started it was always "do more" not "train harder". Arnold's first book when he said he and his friends did sixty set squats and then ate a whole chicken really made an impression on me. I remember as a kid spending my Sundays squatting literally all day. Squatting for about two hours in the morning. Have lunch, relax a bit, then squatting another two hours, or whatever it took to do 30 sets, then after dinner have another night session of just squatting. I go zero progress but just killed myself. 

Let us talk about something you know. Like what you did to make your calves larger. The question I ask is how come your method didn't work for your arms, etc.? Or perhaps you didn't train arms the same as you trained calves?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1420 on: March 15, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »
I'd like to hear more about the claims that you were raped by Arnold.  Was it your hind quarters that were allegedly raped?  Was it an old fashioned face fucking?  Was it a hybrid?  Ass to mouth?  If ATM, Arnold really was a pioneer in many fields.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1421 on: March 15, 2020, 10:46:37 PM »
Let us talk about something you know. Like what you did to make your calves larger. The question I ask is how come your method didn't work for your arms, etc.? Or perhaps you didn't train arms the same as you trained calves?

I never trained anything like the way I trained my calves. In some cases, I wouldn't be able to duplicate the techniques used to achieve the level of intensity I could with my calves. I would need a full-time spotter to help me with force reps, partials, rest pause, and negatives if I wanted to do it for chest, back, or delts. In the case of quads, I don't think I would be physically capable to endure such training for a meaningful length of time even if I was in my physical prime. Arms maybe. Or more specifically either bicep or tricep but not both at the same time. But again it wasn't just the training protocol. It was a weird and dark period in my life. I became absolutely obsessed with calves. I would have dreams and nightmares about my calves. It's all I thought about. I took the "mind/muscle" connection to the extreme.

I look back at the time as not good period in my life. My marriage dissolved, there were family crisis, I was not in a good state of mind. I think I just became obsessed just to take my mind off of reality. I was never a drinker or into rec drugs, so sitting alone in my apartment in the dark doing calf raises on a dictionary I guess was my escape. I was like Dinero in Taxi Driver talking to myself and trying to find some direction in life.  

It's not something I would want to do ever again. I don't even train calves nowadays other than some bodyweight heel raises to warm them up because I stretch them a lot since I have heel spurs. I don't really pay much attention to them but I do sometimes surprise myself when I do look at them. It used to be just skin and bones and now it just stands out. It's nothing like Platz, Mazzaratto, Arnold, or Dickerson, but just compared to what they use to be.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1422 on: March 16, 2020, 12:03:49 AM »
You did well training your calves. Everyone on Ironage appreciated what you wrote about how you did it as 'Mark Twain'.

Most bodybuilders do too many exercises. Well, they fear muscles will shrink if they don't train them at least once a week.

I happen to be one of those lazy guys mentioned above. I was always looking for the bare minimum but maximum benefit way to train.

We both found some success by going way beyond what most people do. Yet, we must have been doing something similar otherwise

significant growth wouldn't have occurred.

I suggest you have a go at seeing if you can put an inch on your upper arms. My triceps respond the best. Well, I tore my right

biceps doing those stupid heavy dead lifts. My triceps today are bigger than ever which is a surprise as I am 77 and 1/2.

I do just two exercises for arms. I train once a week because I literally am not up to training that hard twice a week. So select an

effective exercise and have a go. I like to superset bis and tris. I get a good pump this way.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1423 on: March 16, 2020, 05:12:12 AM »
Absolutely nothing of worth in these statements. Completely meaningless or a tautology.

Talk about repetition ad nauseam, oh mighty addlepated one.  I have no "theory" about hypertrophy.   Exercise, despite the silliest efforts of many, one of which you happen to be, isn't "rocket science".

Pick it up.  Put it down. You and Milo of Croton have at least one thing in common, although I'll wager the bull you carry around is nowhere near the weight of animal Milo shouldered despite being larger.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1424 on: March 16, 2020, 05:17:16 AM »

...I do just two exercises for arms. I train once a week because I literally am not up to training that hard twice a week. So select an

effective exercise and have a go. I like to superset bis and tris. I get a good pump this way.

It seems you train however the heck you want. Oh wait...Tautology, BLAH...BLAH...BLAH.