Author Topic: What did Arnold think of Dorian Yates?  (Read 28179 times)

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
What did Arnold think of Dorian Yates?
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
Funny I never saw these 2 men around each other....

Also Yates never competed in the Arnold classic....

Arnold liked his build?

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
Re: What did Arnold think of Dorian Yates?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
Arnold used to tell Mildred that Dorian owned Ronnie as he pounded her from behind.
K

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »
  Arnold loved Flex

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
  Arnold loved Flex
This is true ,Flex talks about it in his book!

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
Funny I never saw these 2 men around each other....

Also Yates never competed in the Arnold classic....

Arnold liked his build?
he probably though dorian had a gut seeing he acknowledges said characteristic in his encyclopedia

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
Arnold didn't rate Dorian at all - there was an article in Flex magazine about it back in the day where Arnold slated the current crop of bodybuilders of the 1990s with their guts and also talked about Yates not coming to compete at the Arnold Classic by hiding away in his Temple gym dungeon all year before showing up to the Olympia and taking the title with barely a word. Said something as well about bodybuilders not dressing classy, i.e., not wearing designer clothes around contests unlike in the 70's where they apparently used to dress to impress outside of the gym - he didn't like all the baggy wear etc.

Also, Arnold didn't like it because he was all for promoting the sport and getting the word out about bodybuilding whereas Dorian never used to go on TV shows and talk about himself etc.

I think Dorian did an interview with Peter McGough shortly afterwards when he heard Arnold's comments and basically blasted Arnold about it.

I think ND would be able to recount what I'm on about. It was a good tit-for-tat argument pre-internet.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »
thats basically about right. He said todays guys walk around in baggy clown pants  ;D
Arnold didn't rate Dorian at all - there was an article in Flex magazine about it back in the day where Arnold slated the current crop of bodybuilders of the 1990s with their guts and also talked about Yates not coming to compete at the Arnold Classic by hiding away in his Temple gym dungeon all year before showing up to the Olympia and taking the title with barely a word. Said something as well about bodybuilders not dressing classy, i.e., not wearing designer clothes around contests unlike in the 70's where they apparently used to dress to impress outside of the gym - he didn't like all the baggy wear etc.

Also, Arnold didn't like it because he was all for promoting the sport and getting the word out about bodybuilding whereas Dorian never used to go on TV shows and talk about himself etc.

I think Dorian did an interview with Peter McGough shortly afterwards when he heard Arnold's comments and basically blasted Arnold about it.

I think ND would be able to recount what I'm on about. It was a good tit-for-tat argument pre-internet.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
thats basically about right. He said todays guys walk around in baggy clown pants  ;D

Haha, yep that's it  ;D

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 04:23:09 PM »

Interesting stuff 8)

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
They were completely different characters. Arnold was a pathological attention whore while Dorian hated the spotlight and wanted to be left alone in his dungeon gym in Britain.

I don't think those guys were buddies.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 02:59:01 AM »

I remember this.

Arnold went after all the current BBers and talked shit about them all saying how they couldn't look good in a suit and in his day the judges looked at a guy and judged them on everything in their life not just their physique.

Dorian came back and said once you get above 210 pounds it's hard to fit into a suit and Arnold wouldn't know that since it's been so long since he weighed 210 pounds.

He said Arnold couldn't refer to him by name, at the 1996 Arnold Classic he said as MC 'We have Mr Olympia in the Audience' Dorian goes, once again, can't refer to me by name directly.

At the 1997 Mr O press conference someone asked Dorian what he thought of Arnold's comments and Dorian said 'Arnold Who?'

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:55:34 AM »
They are two polar opposite personalities.  I guess in this instance, opposites do not attract.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
I remember this.

Arnold went after all the current BBers and talked shit about them all saying how they couldn't look good in a suit and in his day the judges looked at a guy and judged them on everything in their life not just their physique.

Dorian came back and said once you get above 210 pounds it's hard to fit into a suit and Arnold wouldn't know that since it's been so long since he weighed 210 pounds.

He said Arnold couldn't refer to him by name, at the 1996 Arnold Classic he said as MC 'We have Mr Olympia in the Audience' Dorian goes, once again, can't refer to me by name directly.

At the 1997 Mr O press conference someone asked Dorian what he thought of Arnold's comments and Dorian said 'Arnold Who?'
arnold doesnt associate with white trash/story

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:16 PM »
I remember this.

Sorry, the "Arnold who" statement is weak.

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
pictures are worth a thousand words

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
Arnold had half a physique (upper body) through his entire career (his legs couldn't place top 10 in a mid level amateur show today), while Yates had the most complete physique ever, as far as sheer muscle evenly distributed throughout his body (even had killer calves and forearms).  Arnold also had the back of a complete amateur, compared to Yates who took back development to the next level much like Platz did for legs...

Naggash

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
pictures are worth a thousand words

Nah they are in order of who won by year

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
dorian will always be down the list

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
Arnold doesn't like Yates because he just knows deep down inside him that his BS would not work with Yates. Arnold knows his audience. It worked great with man child Columbo and old ladies. But guys like Menzer and Yates will have none of it.

I like Ahnuld but let's face it - he is a BS artist!

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
Arnold had half a physique (upper body) through his entire career (his legs couldn't place top 10 in a mid level amateur show today), while Yates had the most complete physique ever, as far as sheer muscle evenly distributed throughout his body (even had killer calves and forearms).  Arnold also had the back of a complete amateur, compared to Yates who took back development to the next level much like Platz did for legs...
if dorian competed in arnolds day he wouldnt even be known

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »
Arnold doesn't like Yates because he just knows deep down inside him that his BS would not work with Yates. Arnold knows his audience. It worked great with man child Columbo and old ladies. But guys like Menzer and Yates will have none of it.

I like Ahnuld but let's face it - he is a BS artist!
HIT practitioner?

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »

jason H is correct
there was that article in Flex mag- dopesnt mean its true
Flex could ahve doen it jsut to generate controversy and boost sales

but in the article yes Arnold was basically bagging 90's BB's, saying they had no class and looked like clowns wearing the baggy pants etc

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
Arnold hatin

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »
Arnold took Bodybuilding to public recognition - he was the ideal of the bodybuilder, the whole industry was carried by him into the 80s, when he left the scene more and more, in the 90s it colapsed to the dark hole known as the cult we have today

At the same time, Dorian was the beginning of the end - he was the first freak that was rewarded with Mr  O title - this was the way the judges starded to kill their own thing  in the early 90s to 2013

what more can you say

but don t get me wrong, i don t blame dorian for that, he just tried to max out things in his way, and acctually there were not many alternative routes

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 09:10:36 AM »
ronnie coleman is number one