Author Topic: Protein and Carb Myths  (Read 883 times)

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Protein and Carb Myths
« on: November 10, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Protein and Carb Myths
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:16:31 PM »
Some of you might find this quite useful.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0801/is_9_66/ai_n14921214/pg_1

Not always a fan of Chris', but this one covers the basics.  Several folks around here should take note.
:

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »
"The glycemic index is a tool that rates carbohydrates based on the speed at which they digest. "

This is incorrect. GI is a measure of how fast a carbohydrate is absorbed through the brush border cells of the small intestine, mainly the ileum. Digestion is simply the process of breaking down food and preparing it for absorption.
Team Yates

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 09:29:48 PM »
"The glycemic index is a tool that rates carbohydrates based on the speed at which they digest. "

This is incorrect. GI is a measure of how fast a carbohydrate is absorbed through the brush border cells of the small intestine, mainly the ileum. Digestion is simply the process of breaking down food and preparing it for absorption.

True.  He over-simplified it for the average joe out there.  Actually, the GI rating ranks carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels.
:

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 11:42:47 AM »
Yea it was pretty over simplified but still good information for newer people starting out getting their nutrition in order.  That was the main reason I posted it =)