Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA/UFC)

Hand conditioning video

(1/3) > >>

IroNat:

Donny:
Hand conditioning i did some years ago with a Makiwara & a bag i filled with sand which was solid as a rock. The sand i got from a building site & when settled in the bag it was honestly hard.
The Makiwara i made myself with rope for padding to punch, the Makiwara was attached to the floor & i used a wood that was robust but gave a slight bend when hitting it.

I do not do this nowadays as i see no real need for it as the best places to strike are areas which do not need this type of training, i learned this in Japanese Ju Jitsu & Wado ryu karate.

Styles that are "hard" styles play a lot of emphasis on this type of training.

Donny:
Canīt remember this Guyīs name ( in the video) but pretty hard training.

Thereīs also a Goju Ryu master who trains in this manner, Morio Higaonna as hard core as it gets.

Donny:
Suzuki Sensei told me years ago (Wado Ryu , London) that Shotokan & Kyokushinkai  was only with power.
I didnīt understand until i trained in Wado ryu & saw the Shindo yoshin Ryu in the style.

However this is just my preference & does not undermine the "Harder" styles of karate.

IroNat:

--- Quote from: Donny on June 19, 2024, 05:53:17 AM ---Suzuki Sensei told me years ago (Wado Ryu , London) that Shotokan & Kyokushinkai  was only with power.
I didnīt understand until i trained in Wado ryu & saw the Shindo yoshin Ryu in the style.

However this is just my preference & does not undermine the "Harder" styles of karate.

--- End quote ---

I trained in Kyokushin from direct line to Mas Oyama.

The training each session consisted of the following:

1) Physical conditioning (flexibilty, knuckle pushups, situps, etc)
2) Technique practice (kicks, hand strikes, hitting bags, mitts, etc)
3) Traditional kata
4) Sparring

The weakness in Kyokushin sparring is not allowing punches to the head.
Obviously there is a logical reason for this.
However, it makes you sloppy in guarding the head.
Kicks to the head are allowed but the focus is low kicks.
In Kyokushin you get hit a lot so you get used to contact.

It's a good power based style for physically strong people.
You will get strong from the training.
The kata is traditional and basically useless for fighting but is required for belt advancement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version