Author Topic: Questions on opening a gym  (Read 3804 times)

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
Re: Questions on opening a gym
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
please recommend ONE leasing company that will allow you to include build out costs

I heard that LifeFitness will also help pay for build-out costs.  A large gym could easily purchase $300,000 in cardio equipment.  Most equipment companies will fiance their own equipment and bypass the Leasing company.  I also think Onlyme has his connections and probably can get things done differently than some others.  Check on U.S. Global Leasing I think that is the name.  They will include some build-out costs in the lease payments.
No Worries 4 me

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 04:35:02 PM »
This may be long...serious replys only.

Well, i just found out that my career is going nowhere and dont want to be making shit for money the rest of my life.  I love lifting and i was wondering if i should open a gym.  I have 30,000 dollars saved up and good credit so i think the bank would loan me the money.  But i dont know anything about how to get started.

I know a couple of guys on here have gyms they own and i need some information.  How much would a gym cost to open up?  I know its expensive but i need a rough estimate.  Also, is owning a gym a moneymaking idea.  It wont bankrupt me or anything because i dont want that.  If someone could reply or PM me with their ideas and advice it would be appreciated.

if you love bodybuilding and want to make zero dollars go ahead and do it just for the love of it.

but you need alot more than 30 grand to open a gym lol.

i would advice you against it.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »
make sur eyou buy the building rather then lease it  if you go thru withthis  that way evenbtually your overhead will be reduced

its not as simple as that

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 04:37:53 PM »
Even if you are just making a living- although it may cost you literally living there, its grea tbeing your own boss, and owning something you love.

Just be carefull, research- and listen to onlyme, he knows his shit- and has his shit together, congrats onlyme!  8)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2007, 05:19:30 PM »
I have co-owned a gym for over 35 years. We started small and grew into a large center with more employees. All said and done it is a high investment, low return business. The hours are really long as most clubs open early and close late. You have to know what your market is before you buy a club or open one.

You should get your landlord to do the fitout and repay him with a higher rent. That way you both claim what you paid instead of borrowing to do that fitout and claiming only the interest and something like 10% per year. You will have to own your own home before banks will finance you. You can do an interest only deal until you are making a profit. You can lease your equipment but make sure you know which equipment to buy or lease. All equipment is not the same.

You will need sales people and someone who knows about marketing. There are successful clubs out there so go and see what they are doing. Sometimes they will tell you what you need to know. Join IHRSA and get back issues of their magazines. Lots of good info there. Attend the IHRSA conference and tradeshow in San Francisco which comes up soon this month. You can get heaps of ideas about running a gym successfully.

Our equipment cost over $1,000,000 and has to be replaced or upgraded from time to time. Perhaps having a smaller club with good equipment and instruction might be better than having a large gym with huge overheads. Aerobics usually doesn't make any money. Do what you are good at. If it is bodybuilding then set up a good gym for that instead of trying to be everything for everyone. A 5000 square foot well-equipped gym might make it compared to huge clubs that cost too much to run.

Location is important as is software and everything else in this business.

If I had $30,000 I would open an ice-cream store! Arnold never opened a gym because Joe Gold told him there was no money in it. He was told to invest in real estate. Good advice from a good gym operator.

Good luck.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 05:15:54 AM »
just invest your money and if it doesnt werk burn the place down how hard is that?

you should have talked with Vic M a few years ago.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 06:21:09 AM »
you should have talked with Vic M a few years ago.
bigkubby great idea man  ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 06:50:30 AM »
I heard that LifeFitness will also help pay for build-out costs.  A large gym could easily purchase $300,000 in cardio equipment.  Most equipment companies will fiance their own equipment and bypass the Leasing company.  I also think Onlyme has his connections and probably can get things done differently than some others.  Check on U.S. Global Leasing I think that is the name.  They will include some build-out costs in the lease payments.

Yes Lifefitness is one company that does it.  It is too early here and getting ready to go to the airport so I don't have time to look up the leasing company we were going to deal with.  And no matter what the lease (property) and terms are the most important. 

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 10:55:58 AM »

If I had $30,000 I would open an ice-cream store! Arnold never opened a gym because Joe Gold told him there was no money in it. He was told to invest in real estate. Good advice from a good gym operator.

Good luck.

Every gym business seminar I have been to has mentioned that the building your gym is in and the land it sits on is the most important part of that business, meaning real estate.

The people who started Life Time fitness (a HUGE gym chain here in the midwest, multiple 100,000 + sq suburban clubs) is a real estate mogul and just happened to start opening up gyms. 

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 11:05:24 AM »
"muscleboy" i will put the pee stains aside for one post and give you this advice:

whatever business you want to open you should work in someone else's SUCCESSFUL similar business for at least a year to realize what is involved.  if you just open it with no background theres like a 95% chance it will fail.  maybe 99%.

if you use the time there effectively to learn it inside and out you'll have a much higher likelihood of yours succeeding.  realize what works and why, and realize what can be improved and incorporate those ideas into your own model.

same goes with restaurants, clubs, stores, etc.
its comin today

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »
 You got to ask yourself, kid...do you want to make money and push aside all your personal ideas and passions or do you want to own a gym as more of a 'hobby'? Like me.

If you want to make money then you have to research your location, demographics and projected demographics in 2 years...5 years even 10 years. Understand the gentrification of the area and other what other buisnesses are there and how long have they been there.

You can franchise a 'name brand' gym and have that back-up but it can be tricky.

Otherwise be prepared to roll the dice.

How I did it? Just sort of fell in my lap. Local neighborhood guy approached me as he had a vacant store-front in his huge apartment building complex and wanted to make it a gym for 'the neighborhood guys'. He left it in my hands and 2 yrs later I had it fully equipped from mostly used and refurbished equipment. Gyms that closed down, getting in contact with equipment dealers etc...

Him and I do it more of a hobby now. We paid ourselves back what we put into it and every year we take a little 'stipend' for ourselves. Most of the money we make is from freelance personal training as we dont have to pay anyone rent and can keep whatever we charge for ourselves.

Both of us have day-jobs so the gym isn't our bread and butter.  Far from it, actually.
?

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2007, 07:13:02 PM »
You got to ask yourself, kid...do you want to make money and push aside all your personal ideas and passions or do you want to own a gym as more of a 'hobby'? Like me.

If you want to make money then you have to research your location, demographics and projected demographics in 2 years...5 years even 10 years. Understand the gentrification of the area and other what other buisnesses are there and how long have they been there.

You can franchise a 'name brand' gym and have that back-up but it can be tricky.

Otherwise be prepared to roll the dice.

How I did it? Just sort of fell in my lap. Local neighborhood guy approached me as he had a vacant store-front in his huge apartment building complex and wanted to make it a gym for 'the neighborhood guys'. He left it in my hands and 2 yrs later I had it fully equipped from mostly used and refurbished equipment. Gyms that closed down, getting in contact with equipment dealers etc...

Him and I do it more of a hobby now. We paid ourselves back what we put into it and every year we take a little 'stipend' for ourselves. Most of the money we make is from freelance personal training as we dont have to pay anyone rent and can keep whatever we charge for ourselves.

Both of us have day-jobs so the gym isn't our bread and butter.  Far from it, actually.

russian mafia?