Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 429235 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1275 on: July 15, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »
That's a nice squat machine.  Wish I had one or a leg press.

Pearl used to (maybe still does) get up really early like you said but he also went to bed about 7:30PM.

Much is made of his vegetarianism but he did not become a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) until age 39 (1969).

By that time he had already won 4 Mr. Universe titles and Mr. USA.

Mark Wahlberg supposedly gets up at 2:30AM, works out at 4:30-5AM, goes to bed 7 or 8PM.

Most people don't get enough sleep.

I think regular hours are very important but not everyone's schedule is so constant as to allow it.  Either that or they just don't want to adhere to such.

I'm blessed to have a leg press, hack and a squat machine. I  actually think the squat machine hits the legs better than the hack but others might disagree.

Last I heard Bill Pearl is having health problems. He really is up there in age. I think it's Parkinson's disease.

The older I get the less I can sleep. I normally get around 6 hours, sometimes less. On really rare days I get 9 hours I feel great mentally and physically.

Marky Mark getting up at 2:30 sounds nuts. My last year of real work I had to get up at 3:30AM to get to work on time.  I always got my workouts in when I got home. I strongly suspect Walberg is a user.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1276 on: July 15, 2020, 05:08:30 PM »
I'm blessed to have a leg press, hack and a squat machine. I  actually think the squat machine hits the legs better than the hack but others might disagree.

Last I heard Bill Pearl is having health problems. He really is up there in age. I think it's Parkinson's disease.

The older I get the less I can sleep. I normally get around 6 hours, sometimes less. On really rare days I get 9 hours I feel great mentally and physically.

Marky Mark getting up at 2:30 sounds nuts. My last year of real work I had to get up at 3:30AM to get to work on time.  I always got my workouts in when I got home. I strongly suspect Walberg is a user.

Check out Bill Pearl's latest Facebook post. I doubt the photo of him on his timeline is current.  If it is, he's found the fountain of youth. The photos of his home gym make it look like a great place to work out. Maybe I'll take him up on the invite. Medford is a couple of hundred miles south of me. Kind of a long ways to go for a work out. He announced that he has Parkinson's in 2016.  He was born in 1930 meaning he's almost 90 years old.

https://www.facebook.com/Bill-Pearl-116733248412758/

He gets up at 3:00 A.M. to train six days a week. He first does some cardiovascular training and stretching and is then joined at 4:30 sharp by his training partners — including Judy, also a bodybuilder. Their workout lasts about 2 hours.

Marky Mark is definitely an early riser, but he also goes to bed early at 7:30 p.m. So, if all that is true, he gets about 7 hours sleep each night. More power to him. I couldn't follow that schedule nor would I want to. Our biological clocks are usually set similar to daylight and darkness. Sunset today in Los Angeles which is where he lives is at 8:05 p.m. Sunset here in Portland is close to 9:00 p.m.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1277 on: July 16, 2020, 07:34:35 AM »
Who is that a picture of? That's not Bill Pearl.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1278 on: July 16, 2020, 01:26:52 PM »
Who is that a picture of? That's not Bill Pearl.

Bill Pearl is using it as his profile picture on his Facebook page. Here's another photo of him in a similar shirt.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1279 on: July 16, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1280 on: July 17, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
I haven't run in maybe three weeks. I ran today and did surprisingly well.  I didn't set the world on fire but had a decent slow run.  More importantly nothing hurt. Saw my neighbor on the trail. He is only around 45 years old but what is shocking is he looks out of shape.  The reason why it's shocking is he use to compete in marathons and post really decent times. I guess between family, work and job he let running go getting chubby.  He was going so slow it was a shock to me. I bet he was going for a long run.  I just did two miles at a little over 9 minute per mile pace.

It's funny with pure runners how they only care about running.  My brother in law was like that. He runs like a deer. Lifting weights is meaningless to him. If you can't run he considers you out of shape.  I think being in shape is a complex matter of different attributes. Though the most important muscle is the heart. Outside of having the right parents of all the things you can do for your health should revolve around keeping your heart going.

I hit the heavy bag after. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1281 on: July 17, 2020, 01:25:20 PM »
I haven't run in maybe three weeks. I ran today and did surprisingly well.  I didn't set the world on fire but had a decent slow run.  More importantly nothing hurt. Saw my neighbor on the trail. He is only around 45 years old but what is shocking is he looks out of shape.  The reason why it's shocking is he use to compete in marathons and post really decent times. I guess between family, work and job he let running go getting chubby.  He was going so slow it was a shock to me. I bet he was going for a long run.  I just did two miles at a little over 9 minute per mile pace.

It's funny with pure runners how they only care about running.  My brother in law was like that. He runs like a deer. Lifting weights is meaningless to him. If you can't run he considers you out of shape.  I think being in shape is a complex matter of different attributes. Though the most important muscle is the heart. Outside of having the right parents of all the things you can do for your health should revolve around keeping your heart going.

I hit the heavy bag after.

As a result of arthroscopic knee surgery many years ago, I have neuropathy in my right foot which prevents me running any distance. Even walking can trigger it. My best bet is walking on a treadmill, which I can easily do for 30 minutes.  Supposedly, fast walking is as beneficial for cardiovascular fitness as running.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1282 on: July 17, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1283 on: July 17, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Well, you are correct it is not the bodybuilder Bill Pearl. It is in fact a different Bill Pearl. Not sure how I confused the two except for both have Facebook pages and have the same name. I've changed the photo to the correct Bill Pearl.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1284 on: July 17, 2020, 04:19:48 PM »
As a result of arthroscopic knee surgery many years ago, I have neuropathy in my right foot which prevents me running any distance. Even walking can trigger it. My best bet is walking on a treadmill, which I can easily do for 30 minutes.  Supposedly, fast walking is as beneficial for cardiovascular fitness as running.

Fast walking is excellent for your health.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1285 on: July 21, 2020, 04:30:00 AM »
Still training. I'm just not posting about it. Growing weary of this site. I belong to a running board where people seem intelligent, decent and actually train. This site is the dregs of society truth be told. Very few people I would ever want to have a beer with here. Fans of bodybuilding have always attracted a strange group of individuals.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1286 on: July 21, 2020, 06:18:42 AM »
Still training. I'm just not posting about it. Growing weary of this site. I belong to a running board where people seem intelligent, decent and actually train. This site is the dregs of society truth be told. Very few people I would ever want to have a beer with here. Fans of bodybuilding has always attracted a strange group of individuals.

Same here.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1287 on: July 21, 2020, 06:06:17 PM »
Still training. I'm just not posting about it. Growing weary of this site. I belong to a running board where people seem intelligent, decent and actually train. This site is the dregs of society truth be told. Very few people I would ever want to have a beer with here. Fans of bodybuilding have always attracted a strange group of individuals.

Sometimes it feels exactly as it is.  We are just human.  Every single one of us.  But...If you take a moment to think of family and friends you will begin to realize that you are also the reason people smile.  And laugh. And care about one another. 

Training is just one facet of what it is to live a full life.  Training is not living but it adds to life.  It feels good to look good and to be stronger than the average man and not just for your age.   When I had faith, I had no doubt that even those I never met while alive I would someday meet and shakes hands with.

My faith is gone but only in the hereafter and not in people. You and IroNat are just two of the good ones here. You share your training and as noted here, your frustrations.  That is what friends are for.  Even those we may never meet.

If you are fortunate enough to have someone in your life that actually cares about you and truly loves you as you should be and you love them?   Then perhaps there is a God.  I know...I've said it before but it bears repeating:

Love is friendship set to music and that music, if you are fortunate, becomes the soundtrack of two lives that have become one.   I attended the funeral of a friend today and it has affected me.  Death is a part of life.  I tend to think it is the end but my friend and his entire family are devout followers of the Nazarene.  They really are. 

What does my inane rambling have to do with training.  Nothing.  And everything.  Life is not really a matter of it is, what it is.  Because it can be what we make of it.  You guys are good people.  In all ways and for always, be well.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1288 on: July 22, 2020, 01:02:22 PM »
Sometimes it feels exactly as it is.  We are just human.  Every single one of us.  But...If you take a moment to think of family and friends you will begin to realize that you are also the reason people smile.  And laugh. And care about one another. 

Training is just one facet of what it is to live a full life.  Training is not living but it adds to life.  It feels good to look good and to be stronger than the average man and not just for your age.   When I had faith, I had no doubt that even those I never met while alive I would someday meet and shakes hands with.

My faith is gone but only in the hereafter and not in people. You and IroNat are just two of the good ones here. You share your training and as noted here, your frustrations.  That is what friends are for.  Even those we may never meet.

If you are fortunate enough to have someone in your life that actually cares about you and truly loves you as you should be and you love them?   Then perhaps there is a God.  I know...I've said it before but it bears repeating:

Love is friendship set to music and that music, if you are fortunate, becomes the soundtrack of two lives that have become one.   I attended the funeral of a friend today and it has affected me.  Death is a part of life.  I tend to think it is the end but my friend and his entire family are devout followers of the Nazarene.  They really are. 

What does my inane rambling have to do with training.  Nothing.  And everything.  Life is not really a matter of it is, what it is.  Because it can be what we make of it.  You guys are good people.  In all ways and for always, be well.

Thanks for sharing your sincere thoughts. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1289 on: July 22, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »
Got out of bed in the morning and did legs. I’m beginning to hate early morning training.  Doing squats in the early morning in my sixties isn’t fun.  Monday I did back and chest.  Tuesday I went for an early morning run.  Wednesday today I did legs. Surprisingly my running times are improving.  My only change to my routines is going back to the barbell squat and using the machine squat after.  I feel spring in my strides.  Maybe my inflammation problem is having a good spell.  Feel like I have young legs again.  Sitting at work typing this.  Going to jump in the pool after work.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1290 on: July 22, 2020, 01:34:13 PM »

I am going to make a concerted effort to limit my Getbig activity to this thread. This is like a little island of sanity in an otherwise insane board. I suspect it is going to be difficult after 16 years of posting on Getbig. I'm sure there are many good people here, some of whom I've enjoyed getting to know. Overall though my experience on Getbig is too negative and not beneficial to my overall health.

Haven't done anything today. In fact, I didn't get out of bed until noon. I may go for a walk later which is pretty good exercise due to the terrain around this neighborhood.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1291 on: July 22, 2020, 06:34:25 PM »
Wonder if I should make my own board. The best board on bodybuilding use to be Ironage. Still a lot of messed up characters but it was kept civil. Shawn Perrine the owner even got major employment out of it in the bodybuilding community.  He died too young. I just don't want the time commitment. I would need moderators. How about Scott, Prime and Iron nat? I will think about it. Between working out, work and watching my grand daughter I feel like I'm being pulled in a lot of directions.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1292 on: July 22, 2020, 07:14:12 PM »
Wonder if I should make my own board. The best board on bodybuilding use to be Ironage. Still a lot of messed up characters but it was kept civil. Shawn Perrine the owner even got major employment out of it in the bodybuilding community.  He died too young. I just don't want the time commitment. I would need moderators. How about Scott, Prime and Iron nat? I will think about it. Between working out, work and watching my grand daughter I feel like I'm being pulled in a lot of directions.

Serious question Oldtimer.  I am missing a couple sets of dumbells to be able to train to my liking.  I have lots of the 1 inch plates in order to make up my missing dumbbells.  I'm thinking about getting a set of spin lock dumbells.  The question is what size?  I've seen them range from 13.7 inches to 17 inches.  Do you have any experience with these?  Thanks bud.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1293 on: July 23, 2020, 03:23:46 AM »
Serious question Oldtimer.  I am missing a couple sets of dumbells to be able to train to my liking.  I have lots of the 1 inch plates in order to make up my missing dumbbells.  I'm thinking about getting a set of spin lock dumbells.  The question is what size?  I've seen them range from 13.7 inches to 17 inches.  Do you have any experience with these?  Thanks bud.

What size dumbbells are you looking to make?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1294 on: July 23, 2020, 03:42:55 PM »
What size dumbbells are you looking to make?

Probably could live with 85's.  So 4 ten pound plates on each side of the dumbbell.  105's would be nice to accommodate dumbbell shrugs but I will be just fine with 85's.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1295 on: July 23, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
I am going to make a concerted effort to limit my Getbig activity to this thread.

Glad to see you're finally "throwing in the towel."

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1296 on: July 23, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »

Glad to see you're finally "throwing in the towel."

You should consider following suit.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1297 on: July 23, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »
Probably could live with 85's.  So 4 ten pound plates on each side of the dumbbell.  105's would be nice to accommodate dumbbell shrugs but I will be just fine with 85's.

I cannot even pick those up anymore, LOL!  Train hard, my young friend!  Oldtimer and IroNat are good guys and have years of experience.  Weightlifting isn't rocket science but it helps to have help sometimes.

Be well!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1298 on: July 23, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »

Sorry for the late reply. My son thinks he has covid so a lot of chaos here. I think mine are 15 Inches. I measured them and came up from the basement then the chaos started and I forgot the measurement. He has a fever. I guess he will get tested tomorrow. I can easily make 85lbs and have some room to spare. My ten pound plates are York and they are thick.  I also have some Indian made ten pound plates that are thinner and larger in diameter. I can make 105lbs when I add them. I know some are concerned with the end bar sticking out but it has never been a problem. Doing inclines you will quickly learn that kicking them up using the side of the plate works perfectly.  The bar sticking out is never a problem.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1299 on: July 23, 2020, 06:11:15 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. My son thinks he has covid so a lot of chaos here. I think mine are 15 Inches. I measured them and came up from the basement then the chaos started and I forgot the measurement. He has a fever. I guess he will get tested tomorrow. I can easily make 85lbs and have some room to spare. My ten pound plates are York and they are thick.  I also have some Indian made ten pound plates that are thinner and larger in diameter. I can make 105lbs when I add them. I know some are concerned with the end bar sticking out but it has never been a problem. Doing inclines you will quickly learn that kicking them up using the side of the plate works perfectly.  The bar sticking out is never a problem.

Sorry to hear about your son.  Hope he recovers quickly.  Thanks for the reply.  All the best.