Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 425016 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #2325 on: April 15, 2024, 05:46:34 PM »
I find keeping a training log very tiring & as i wrote before i train more "freestyle" nowadays. I might radically change my mind what exercise i will do because at that moment it doesnīt feel good.
Donīt feel you have to post your workouts but rather just post up the positive ones.

I plot out my workouts in my head and sometimes on paper. You're right though. Many times it's better to freestyle. A workout plotted out can't account for how you feel that day or for any tweaks you have to work around. For some reason I do this especially with triceps but other body parts too. Sometimes for a squatting motion I use a squat machine but I often substitute Dumbbell squats, hacks or free squats. For triceps I switch out so many exercises. Not a quote but Dave Draper but he  said in effect that he can't stay too structured in a workout cause he likes to be able to change things on the fly.

Today I dropped my short lived whole body routine due to a leg and hip bugging me. I took a 25MG of meloxicam and it worked pretty good. I was on 7.5mg and it helped but 25mg worked much better. Can't pin point the pain but it felt like the hip joint and hurt from there all the way down to the knee. 

Thinking I have to be careful about grinding my joints to dust. I have been working out hard from my teens till now. It was high school and college track team. Competed in powerlifting in 1977.  I boxed, jui jitsu and very intensive training at two military bases. Did stuff like ride a bike 500 miles across Iowa in five days with some seriously competitive bike cycle enthusiasts that hammered the pace.  My body has taken a beating. As I mentioned before I use to talk to Bill Pearl through texts. He stressed that a smart man gives up the heavy weights as they age. I believe he said he stopped using heavy weights when he hit 55. 

Today I went back to my Yates inspired one set to failure. I trained chest and biceps  today and it took 45 minutes. Then I spent 45 minutes fast walking on a  the treadmill with an incline. The plan for the week is to complete a week of one set to failure then I might admit I'm not a kid anymore and train for muscular endurance with moderate weights. Five years from now when I'm 70 it would be nice to still be hitting the weights hard and running some miles health willing. I think in order to hit that goal I have to be wiser in what I do and drop the ego.  I have some health challenges but I'm monitored very closely.  So far I'm good.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #2326 on: Today at 02:30:04 AM »
As I mentioned before I use to talk to Bill Pearl through texts. He stressed that a smart man gives up the heavy weights as they age. I believe he said he stopped using heavy weights when he hit 55.

yes i spoke 3 times with Bill on the phone he was a great guy. At that time i was really just doing under grip supinated chins for Biceps & Bill said do you have a preacher bench & i got one for my Home Gym after the conversation.
works well with chinning the Bar