Author Topic: Woke MLB changes its records, Josh Gibson, not Ty Cobb, is all-time leader  (Read 283 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
 ::)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5525148/2024/05/28/mlb-negro-leagues-records-josh-gibson-ty-cobb/

Major League Baseball will announce on Wednesday the results of a newly integrated statistical database covering records from Negro Leagues that operated from 1920 to 1948. The formal acceptance of the data comes three-and-a-half years after MLB officially recognized the Negro Leagues as major leagues in December 2020.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk

IroNat

• Getbig V

IroNat

• Getbig V

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5525148/2024/05/28/mlb-negro-leagues-records-josh-gibson-ty-cobb/

Major League Baseball will announce on Wednesday the results of a newly integrated statistical database covering records from Negro Leagues that operated from 1920 to 1948. The formal acceptance of the data comes three-and-a-half years after MLB officially recognized the Negro Leagues as major leagues in December 2020.

AND WHY IS THIS AN ISSUE??   The Negro Leagues was a professional baseball league. If there was no segregation, all of them would have been playing in the MLB.   It would have changed stats possibly but its not relevant. 

This was a long time coming.  Ty Cobb still holds the records in the number of ass-whippings he handed out to people in the stands...lol
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

This is actually a great call. I see absolutely no problem with this.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
This is actually a great call. I see absolutely no problem with this.

Eh, minimum PAs for stats like BA, etc was 5000, and players in the negro leagues had like half of that.

For a game with such massive fluctuations due to sample size, I have issue with that.

Now, in reality, I do not care about this at all.  It doesn't really bother me one iota.  But I do feel it was unnecessary, because it really doesn't change anything, no matter how much we try to change the past and our history.
Y

IroNat

• Getbig V

AND WHY IS THIS AN ISSUE??   The Negro Leagues was a professional baseball league. If there was no segregation, all of them would have been playing in the MLB.   It would have changed stats possibly but its not relevant. 

This was a long time coming.  Ty Cobb still holds the records in the number of ass-whippings he handed out to people in the stands...lol

The Japanese Leagues are professional leagues too.  Should their stats be included?

How about Mexican and Carribean baseball leagues?

For football should the CFL records be combined with NFL records?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
The Japanese Leagues are professional leagues too.  Should their stats be included?

How about Mexican and Carribean baseball leagues?

For football should the CFL records be combined with NFL records?

Those are different counties you moron.  MLB is for the Stars and Bars
A

IroNat

• Getbig V

Those are different counties you moron.  MLB is for the Stars and Bars

Golly, Vince, no reason to get personal.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Eh, minimum PAs for stats like BA, etc was 5000, and players in the negro leagues had like half of that.

For a game with such massive fluctuations due to sample size, I have issue with that.

Now, in reality, I do not care about this at all.  It doesn't really bother me one iota.  But I do feel it was unnecessary, because it really doesn't change anything, no matter how much we try to change the past and our history.

They also had shitty equipment, poor lodgings, had to sleep and piss on the side road due to segregation, practically no medical care, played while they were sick and injured...and were injured by white lynch mobs...things white players never had to deal with.  It works both ways

Babe Ruth always believed thst blacks belonged in the MLB, he attended games and hung out with them on numerous occasions...even when it was illegal and could have got him arrested.  If the Bambino thought it was right, I'm going with him

For
A

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino

They also had shitty equipment, poor lodgings, had to sleep and piss on the side road due to segregation, practically no medical care, played while they were sick and injured...and were injured by white lynch mobs...things white players never had to deal with.  It works both ways

So you are saying they faced even worse pitching?

But given all that, my point and my math stands.

Yes, they should have been allowed to play a lot sooner, but I'm just not one to care about superficial moves that don't change anything.
Y

IroNat

• Getbig V
Ty Cobb took care of his blacks on his peach plantation.

He collected the used soap bar pieces from the team showers to generously give to his slaves workers so they could maintain a high standard of cleanliness

And this is the thanks he gets?

Vince, do you think this is fair to Cobb?

Str8Flex1n

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!

This is a really stupid thing to complain about. One league had all the white talent, the other league had all the black talent. Then they integrated, making it one league with all the talent, with all Negro League players going to the integrated MLB. Theyre now one in the same. This is like saying that AFL stats shouldnt exist in the NFL or that ABA statistics shouldnt count in the NBA (they 100% should).

People complaining about "woke" nowadays just getting triggered over nothing.

IroNat

• Getbig V
This is a really stupid thing to complain about. One league had all the white talent, the other league had all the black talent. Then they integrated, making it one league with all the talent. Theyre now one in the same. This is like saying that ABA statistics shouldnt count in the NBA (they 100% should).

People complaining about "woke" nowadays just getting triggered over nothing.

Hello Mr. 3 Post,

No, they should keep the stats separate because they are seperate leagues.

Josh Gibson was the top hitter in the Negro Leagues only.

By the way, regarding ABA/NBA, has the below changed and if not, why not?

Also have the old AFL stats pre-merger been combined with the NFL stats?

Also you can f*ck off with your woke bs and insults, Mr 3 Post.

Who do you think you are?  Vince G.?

>

“When people talk about lifetime stats, they don't add in the ABA years” — Julius Erving on all-time records

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/old-school/julius-erving-on-nba-and-aba-all-time-records

Str8Flex1n

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
I said they should & the Doc is agreeing with me. Dr J, as far as I & the fans are concerned, is a 3x champion & 4x MVP and should be considered such because they merged. Not to mention that 70s ABA had all of the basketball talent over the abysmal 70s NBA. Players carried over, the talent was more prevalent. Why not have complete stats? Theres no argument against it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
I said they should & the Doc is agreeing with me. Dr J, as far as I & the fans are concerned, is a 3x champion & 4x MVP and should be considered such because they merged. Not to mention that 70s ABA had all of the basketball talent over the abysmal 70s NBA. Why not have complete stats?

They haven't though, have they?

Because they were seperate leagues. 

Dr. J has records in both leagues and that's the correct history, not some woke bullshit.

Str8Flex1n

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
They haven't though, have they?

Because they were seperate leagues. 

Dr. J has records in both leagues and that's the correct history, not some woke bullshit.

What even is "woke"? People are just recognizing people for their talent & productivity & contributions. They are merged leagues.