Author Topic: Strikeforce wants Melvin Manhoef !!  (Read 643 times)

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
Strikeforce wants Melvin Manhoef !!
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:35:29 AM »

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker on Sunday told MMAWeekly.com he was eyeing Dutch terror Melvin Manhoef for a spot on one of the 10 Showtime cards expected for the San Jose-based organization in 2009.

Heavy-handed former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler was a front-runner as an opponent, and manager Monte Cox said on Tuesday that there had been “discussions” about a possible bout in April and May, Strikeforce’s first shows planned for the premium cable network.

“I mean, wouldn’t that be a great fight?” Coker said from Los Angeles.

However, Simon Rutz, Manhoef’s manager, said his client's schedule ruled out an appearance on the spring/summer cards. Manhoef’s next commitment was a possible appearance in a K-1 fight against Gohkan Saki on March 28 in Japan, followed by a Showtime-broadcast fight at the Amsterdam Arena against Stephan Leko on May 16.

Rutz was open to an offer from Strikeforce, but the numbers would have to be right.

“Melvin is one and a half years into three-year contract (with K-1),” said Rutz. “But I have some escape clauses in the contract. Maybe I could do something. But one thing is for sure: he earns a lot of money in Japan, and the problem in the United States, is that you must pay a lot of tax there.”

Rutz said Manhoef’s purse for K-1 Dynamite! USA, while reported to the California State Athletic Commission at $50,000, was a higher sum paid through Japanese investors behind the show.

If Strikeforce could do that same, he said they would have his attention.

Rutz said he didn’t know who Lawler was – “I’m not so into MMA from the United States,” he laughed – but that would make no difference should they meet.

The first order of business was getting confirmation from K-1 on the March fight, a difficult task in itself for the notorious late-notice promotion.

“I can speak with (Strikeforce) about that, but first, I must know what their offer is for Melvin,” said Rutz.

ball

• Getbig II
Re: Strikeforce wants Melvin Manhoef !!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
manhoef would dominate him standing up. His MT is solid and he is fookin' relentless!