Author Topic: Lance Storm on what it would take to resurrect wrestling today:  (Read 13453 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Lance Storm on what it would take to resurrect wrestling today:
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
I've always respected Lance's insight on the business.
Likewise, I think he really hits the nail on the head in this clip concerning what it would take to see wrestling make a comeback, and also the obstacle it faces: namely, being too tightly scripted.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Lance Storm on what it would take to resurrect wrestling today:
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
Always enjoyed Strom's work in ECW and then after I liked all the stuff I've read about the guy.  He has it together.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:14:39 AM »
I saw him train here a while back shortly before WM18 when Hogan fought the Rock. He did arms and he was quiet and very focused.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:31:07 AM »
He got screwed.
Having Lance Storm on your active roster, but leaving him off the biggest show of the year is almost as bad as doing the same thing with Hennig.

WTF!?!?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:13:56 AM »
He got screwed.
Having Lance Storm on your active roster, but leaving him off the biggest show of the year is almost as bad as doing the same thing with Hennig.

WTF!?!?
Agreed 100%

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
Lance is such a cool guy.  I like where he breaks down the Flair/Steiner deal.....  I'm going to see if I can find that match, if anybody else can, please post it.....

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 05:47:45 AM »
Monty, were there any spots that jumped out at you?  i didn't think it looked like a bad match, but I don't see things the same way.  The one thing I will say about Lance's thoughts on it were he mentioned this being the time when Flair was having anxiety attacks, etc... and alluded to maybe Flair was doing it to try to protect himself...  I think of it in a different way.  If Flair was that checked out mentallly, perhaps he was just "off" in the ring during that time....  it's just so odd to me that Scott is so vocal about how hated Flair was in the locker-room, etc... but you don't hear anybody else saying much about it....maybe Shane Douglas...haha

EDIT:  a couple of spots I noticed was the bridge towards the end, the inside cradle looked awkward and on the lean ins that Steiner was doing to call his spots, it seemed they took too long.....perhaps thats because Scott always sounds like he is speaking with a mouth full of mashed potatoes....haha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:57:12 AM »
I agree with you that it didn’t look horrible.
Lance has much better insight than I do, but IMO, nothing screamed, “obvious.”

I think that, compared to a lot of Flair’s other matches from that time, there was a noticeable difference.
Also, Scotty Steiner was a very good worker, and I’m confident that Flair could have had a much better match with him, but I don’t know if that’s incontrovertible evidence of sabotage.

You also bring up a good point that Flair was, indeed, having some issues in his personal & professional lives at this time, and it’s quite conceivable that he was just having a bad night.
Although, I don’t think that Steiner was out of line in his speculation.

As far as Ric’s locker room reputation - it sounds as if the people who liked him LOVED him, but the ones who weren’t fond of him were quite critical and vocal in their disapproval.

Bret told a funny story about the boys returning to the hotel after partying - this was maybe the week before the WWF’s new stringent drug testing policy took effect.
They wanted to carry the party over to Flair’s luxury suite, but he was still out on the town.
McMahon himself (who was also living it up one last time with the boys) demanded the key from the front desk.

He and everyone else marched up to Flair’s room, raded the bar, passed around joints, and many took turns pissing in Ric’s bed - including VINCE.

“I remember Hercules and Curt laughing as thety hosed it down, and for some reason, I thought nobody would have done this to Harley Race!”

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »
...perhaps thats because Scott always sounds like he is speaking with a mouth full of mashed potatoes....haha

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
I agree with you that it didn’t look horrible.
Lance has much better insight than I do, but IMO, nothing screamed, “obvious.”

I think that, compared to a lot of Flair’s other matches from that time, there was a noticeable difference.
Also, Scotty Steiner was a very good worker, and I’m confident that Flair could have had a much better match with him, but I don’t know if that’s incontrovertible evidence of sabotage.

You also bring up a good point that Flair was, indeed, having some issues in his personal & professional lives at this time, and it’s quite conceivable that he was just having a bad night.
Although, I don’t think that Steiner was out of line in his speculation.

As far as Ric’s locker room reputation - it sounds as if the people who liked him LOVED him, but the ones who weren’t fond of him were quite critical and vocal in their disapproval.

Bret told a funny story about the boys returning to the hotel after partying - this was maybe the week before the WWF’s new stringent drug testing policy took effect.
They wanted to carry the party over to Flair’s luxury suite, but he was still out on the town.
McMahon himself (who was also living it up one last time with the boys) demanded the key from the front desk.

He and everyone else marched up to Flair’s room, raded the bar, passed around joints, and many took turns pissing in Ric’s bed - including VINCE.

“I remember Hercules and Curt laughing as thety hosed it down, and for some reason, I thought nobody would have done this to Harley Race!”

True about Race....but i think thats because they were scared shitless of Harley, not necessarily that they don't respect Flair.

Someone should come out with a book that is nothing but the road stories.  That would be an awesome read !!!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:43:58 AM »

haha, imagine in the heat of a match after 30 minutes of going at it with a few thousand people screaming and he leans in to give you a spot...."Mmmmmfrmmmmssshhh, shwooullllddder block, pleeeeeessss slam, you old bastard......"

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »

True about Race....but i think thats because they were scared shitless of Harley, not necessarily that they don't respect Flair.

Someone should come out with a book that is nothing but the road stories.  That would be an awesome read !!!!
Apparently Harley had tonnes of road stories.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 09:56:04 AM »
Apparently Harley had tonnes of road stories.

i don't think he ever would, but I would love to read a Race book.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »
i don't think he ever would, but I would love to read a Race book.
Oh yes....Flair told a story once of how he travelled on the road with Harley and Dick Murdock and how Harley whipped out a bottle of Jack and took a few swings, passed it to Murdock who was driving who also took a few swings and then they passed it to Flair and said, "If you wanna hang with us you'd better drink up!" 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
Oh yes....Flair told a story once of how he travelled on the road with Harley and Dick Murdock and how Harley whipped out a bottle of Jack and took a few swings, passed it to Murdock who was driving who also took a few swings and then they passed it to Flair and said, "If you wanna hang with us you'd better drink up!" 

haha, wasn't that in Flair's book?  One of the craziest road stories in the book is Flair traveling with Brute Bernard and the Missouri Mauler.  They both hated black people and they were driving along some desolate road and a few were fishing off a bridge.....they jumped out of the car and chased them around threatening to throw them off the bridge.....can't remember if they actually did......haha.....now that will get you some heel heat for the show in that town..... ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »
haha, wasn't that in Flair's book?  One of the craziest road stories in the book is Flair traveling with Brute Bernard and the Missouri Mauler.  They both hated black people and they were driving along some desolate road and a few were fishing off a bridge.....they jumped out of the car and chased them around threatening to throw them off the bridge.....can't remember if they actually did......haha.....now that will get you some heel heat for the show in that town..... ;D
It certainly was in Flairs book. I love those stories. Apparently there are quite a few different road stories. Another infamous story was told by Billy Jack Haynes who claimed that in late 1986 he and Hogan were driving and Hogan was dangerously speeding while coked up and drunk. Not sure as to the truth of that because we all know that Haynes is one of those guys that is jealous that he didn't make the spotlight and now he has an axe to grind.

Holy S**t! Thats a pretty hardcore story. Can you imagine if they through them off the bridge?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
haha, imagine in the heat of a match after 30 minutes of going at it with a few thousand people screaming and he leans in to give you a spot...."Mmmmmfrmmmmssshhh, shwooullllddder block, pleeeeeessss slam, you old bastard......"

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

I literally just laughed out loud for almost 3 minutes straight at that!!
I had to wipe my eyes from crying I was laughing so damned hard.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 12:28:23 PM »

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

I literally just laughed out loud for almost 3 minutes straight at that!!
I had to wipe my eyes from crying I was laughing so damned hard.

;D   Me and a group of friends, althought the biggest Flair marks on the planet, couldn't help but laugh when Steiner cut that promo.  So we would just randomly say that. hahaha

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 06:25:58 PM »
Lance is the man. If you haven't checked out his site, it's worth the time.

http://www.stormwrestling.com/index1.html

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
This was a good angle Storm was involved in, and like many of the better ones from that time, contained a fair bit of truth...and Dawn Marie:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
Also, The Wrestling Observer is reporting that Brandon Barker, a graduate of Lance Storm's wrestling school in Calgary, signed a WWE developmental deal back in October of 2010.
He will be reporting to FCW to begin his developmental training once he gets his US work Visa.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 04:52:40 AM »
This was a good angle Storm was involved in, and like many of the better ones from that time, contained a fair bit of truth...and Dawn Marie:

Look how hot Dawn looked.... :)