Author Topic: Hank Aaron on Barry Bonds: `I don’t even know how to spell his name’  (Read 4287 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Ouch. 

Hank Aaron on Barry Bonds: `I don’t even know how to spell his name’      
Emily Fredrix, Associated Press
Published: Thursday, June 07, 2007

With Bonds closing in on the career home run record, Aaron attended a news conference Thursday at the spot where he hit his 755th and final home run in 1976.

“I don’t have any thoughts about Barry. I don’t even know how to spell his name,” Aaron said briskly, then added a laugh.

Aaron was curt when asked whether baseball commissioner Bud Selig invited him to attend any celebrations for Bonds, should he break the record. Selig and Aaron are longtime friends.

“I’ve not spoken to him at all,” Aaron said. “That’s his decision and I’m sure he’ll make the right one.”

Aaron hit his 715th home run in 1974 to break Babe Ruth’s record and hit his final home run July 20, 1976, at County Stadium — the site is now a parking lot outside Miller Park.

Aaron, currently a senior vice-president of the Atlanta Braves, took only a few questions from reporters as a handful of fans stood nearby. Dressed in a tan shirt and brown slacks, Aaron struggled to hear questions amid blustery winds. And when he did hear them, he didn’t have much to say, although he became a bit more chatty when asked about his last home run.

“You know, when you reach your career like this and when you get to the end, you never know when this is going to be the last one,” he said. “And I’m just so happy I was able to hit it here in Milwaukee because I don’t think, had it been hit on the road, there’d be a plaque somewhere.”

Bonds began Thursday with 746 homers but just one since May 8. Aaron has said he won’t attend any of Bonds’ games as the San Francisco Giants star approaches his record.

Selig won’t say whether he plans to attend.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=0cb9cc91-de71-4f26-99b2-8266e6f597f0&k=85763

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
It would be great if he totally ignores Bonds the entire time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
It was be great if he totally ignores Bonds the entire time.

I agree.

blinky

• Getbig V
i had heard that aaron said this sometime ago...and i think it just shows how most people feel about bonds. too bad hes going to be the one to break this record.

its really a shame that griffey has had so many injuries the last 5 seasons or so. he would have been a great person to hold this record

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
Regardless, Bonds IS the guy who will break the record. Bonds has never failed a drug test, so why is Aaron snubbing him, exactly?

If Selig decides not to honor Bonds record breaking career, he will be boldly stating that he does not believe MLB's drug policy is effective or meaningful in the least. It would be a catastrophic error for Selig to assume anything other than the results of his league's testing.

pumpster

• Getbig V
Regardless, Bonds IS the guy who will break the record. Bonds has never failed a drug test, so why is Aaron snubbing him, exactly?

Ass-backwards; why shouldn't he snub him, given the drugs, the bad attitude, etc. Exactly why should he be given respect, there's no reason other than the numbers which isn't good enough by itself to those with wider perspectives.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

If Selig decides not to honor Bonds record breaking career, he will be boldly stating that he does not believe MLB's drug policy is effective or meaningful in the least. It would be a catastrophic error for Selig to assume anything other than the results of his league's testing.

How could he fail a drug test when they couldn't test for HGH? 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
How could he fail a drug test when they couldn't test for HGH? 

Drug tests are a joke..  :-\

Bonds took drugs and anyone with half a brain can see that..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

True.  Plus drug testing for Bonds was pretty irrelevant if they couldn't even test for the stuff he was using. 

blinky

• Getbig V
i think the drug scenario is only part of it anyways. i think a big reason why aaron feels this way is cause of bonds attitude...the guy is a complete asshole. one thing ill give him credit for though is being alot quieter this year so far.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ

Of course he took drugs but the commissioner best not attend ANY game where ANY record is broken because 99million to 1 odds, every major talent in baseball has been on the juice, including GRIFFEY.  I guess its nice to pretend Bonds is the only one to ever juice, its idiotic but I guess you can try to look through the world with rose colored glasses.

How are you pitching well into your 40's Roger Clemens?  Hehehe, what goes on behind his bathroom door, nobody knows!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
True.  Plus drug testing for Bonds was pretty irrelevant if they couldn't even test for the stuff he was using. 

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that those of us with an expert eye are given the right to trump a man who's failed no test AUTHORIZED BY THE LEAGUE HE PLAYS FOR.

Since this is the case, we'd better pull the Rocket off the mound, and about 8/10 players in the league while we are at it.

Since the FACT remains the only way to indict a player is for him to FAIL the test, we'll have to wait for Bonds to do that before we strip him of the records and accolades he is 100% deserved.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that those of us with an expert eye are given the right to trump a man who's failed no test AUTHORIZED BY THE LEAGUE HE PLAYS FOR.

Since this is the case, we'd better pull the Rocket off the mound, and about 8/10 players in the league while we are at it.

Since the FACT remains the only way to indict a player is for him to FAIL the test, we'll have to wait for Bonds to do that before we strip him of the records and accolades he is 100% deserved.

There was no test that could detect HGH, so it didn't matter whether the league authorized it or not.  They couldn't detect it anyway.

What's your explanation for his shoe size going from about 10.5 to 13 and his head growing? 

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
There was no test that could detect HGH, so it didn't matter whether the league authorized it or not.  They couldn't detect it anyway.

What's your explanation for his shoe size going from about 10.5 to 13 and his head growing? 
(OK, lets ban anyone that grows from the sport)

Great idea!
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V

My explanation doesn't matter. What I believe he's done doesn't matter, and neither does what anyone else believes. Only his test results matter.

If I were to go by what I believe, 90% of all pro athletes in all sports would be "cheaters". The only true level playing field is an untested one.

pumpster

• Getbig V
My explanation doesn't matter. What I believe he's done doesn't matter, and neither does what anyone else believes. Only his test results matter.

If I were to go by what I believe, 90% of all pro athletes in all sports would be "cheaters". The only true level playing field is an untested one.

Concenient ignorance of reality because let's face it you like him. The evidence is overwhelming whether it meets your silly standards with head firmly in sand. Most of the fans choose not to look the other way the way you are whether you admit it or not. ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

We're kind of going in circles.  They couldn't test for HGH, so the fact he never tested positive for, e.g., testosterone, means nothing.  

A man in his 30s will not see his feet grow from 10.5 to 13.  That's a huge change.  His head grew too.  When you look at that in conjunction with all of the other factors (his enormous increase in mass, doubling his HR production, BALCO, etc.), it's pretty obvious the guy was using HGH or something like it.  

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111

He failed an amphetamine test.  Hopes that helps.
Squishy face retard

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Concenient ignorance of reality because let's face it you like him. The evidence is overwhelming whether it meets your silly standards with head firmly in sand. Most of the fans choose not to look the other way the way you are whether you admit it or not. ;)

The point isn't whether I like him or not. I don't know that Bonds has taken anything different from David Ortiz, who also has big feet and an enormous head. I don't care, either.

As long as MLB has a drug policy, the only thing that matters is whether or not the athlete passes the test. Otherwise, the testing is useless.

If you tested negative for narcotics, yet were fired on the basis that you were actually using narcotics, you'd have a major lawsuit on your hands. It really doesn't matter what symptoms you might show, if your employer uses such a test to determine your guilt in the matter, and you pass, you go to work and that's that.

Do I think Bonds has used PED's? Yes. I also think that Julio Lugo has, and Adam Kennedy, and Dustin Pedroia, and on and on. Just because an athlete DOESN'T manifest symptoms of drug use doesn't mean he isn't using. Palmeiro, anyone?

You guys are contradicting yourselves left and right. You want to condemn the man because it will give a sense of right to what has been a long dark stain on the sport. Fact is, PED's have been around for 50+ years, and pro athletes have been using them. It's not out of the realm of the possible that Aaron himself was doped. But I won't dig up his shoesize to try and condemn him, nor will I anyone else. If they achieve it on the field, and pass the doping tests, however inadequete they are, I applaud them. It's not thier fault we can't catch them.

Out.

pumpster

• Getbig V

If you tested negative for narcotics, yet were fired on the basis that you were actually using narcotics, you'd have a major lawsuit on your hands. It really doesn't matter what symptoms you might show, if your employer uses such a test to determine your guilt in the matter, and you pass, you go to work and that's that.

You guys are contradicting yourselves left and right. You want to condemn the man because it will give a sense of right to what has been a long dark stain on the sport.

You're using flawed analogies and logic. You shouldn't be fired by an employer without proof, but what is being discussed is the court of public opinion, of which Aaron's part of it. Nothing to do with legally harassing him without basis as you're thinking goes. He's been fired in the court of public opinion, and Aaron doesn't have to do too much if he doesn't want to, based on opinion.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
You're using flawed analogies and logic. You shouldn't be fired by an employer without proof, but what is being discussed is the court of public opinion, of which Aaron's part of it. Nothing to do with legally harassing him without basis as you're thinking goes. He's been fired in the court of public opinion, and Aaron doesn't have to do too much if he doesn't want to, based on opinion.

No you just only believe in your own opinion, anything everyone else says is nothing short of moronic and down right stupid ::) ::) ::)

Why don't people like you spend more time outing everyone who has used (especially those who actually have failed test) rather then focusing on one guy and dicrediting all his work because you have some kind of grudge on him.

I

pumpster

• Getbig V

No you just only believe in your own opinion, anything everyone else says is nothing short of moronic and down right stupid ::) ::) ::)

Why don't people like you spend more time outing everyone who has used (especially those who actually have failed test) rather then focusing on one guy and dicrediting all his work because you have some kind of grudge on him.

An excellent reminder that opinions are like assholes; everyone's got one.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V

Hank Aaron has a right to be as petty as he pleases. It's Bud Selig who does not.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Hank Aaron has a right to be as petty as he pleases. It's Bud Selig who does not.

Perfect.
Y

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
Make all drugs legal to athletes, they gonna juice and beat your tests anyway.  Don't know about you guys but i enjoy seeing mutants of science on the playing fields.

another funny, haha, wow bonds uses roids!  um, anyone really believe players in the NFL grow like that off red meat and taters?  If you do, i got some swampland in florida that i swear u can develop nicely.  The NFL has a steroid testing program, hahahahahahaha, that shows you right there players can beat those tests.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo