Author Topic: How Does Bill Kazmaier Stack Up Against Today's Strongmen?  (Read 55410 times)

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
Re: How Does Bill Kazmaier Stack Up Against Today's Strongmen?
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
ok, this thread is deteriorating now.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
Well, yes, the man did use quite a lot, but he is a very gifted athlete, regardless.

sure, i just meant compared to todays athletes. he was absolutely gifted though

'the more money at stake, the more drugs they will take'

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2012, 02:11:38 AM »
In the early WSM's the guys were big, and as it progressed, bigger and bigger men have appeared over the years

Pudzi and savickas are so different physically and not the biggest guys in the competition, yet both are past winners

Geoff capes was large, but fat, virtaenen was considered "skinny" (not my words), etc

Kaz was 6'3" 330-350lbs ? Shaw is 6'8" ± 415lbs

I think kazmaier would still do well. Physically and mentally strong

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2012, 02:18:19 AM »
In the early WSM's the guys were big, and as it progressed, bigger and bigger men have appeared over the years

Pudzi and savickas are so different physically and not the biggest guys in the competition, yet both are past winners

Geoff capes was large, but fat, virtaenen was considered "skinny" (not my words), etc

how about Ted Van Der Parr? 8)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2012, 03:38:51 AM »
how about Ted Van Der Parr? 8)

7 foot 350lbs

How does someone like that fly economy?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2012, 03:51:23 AM »
7 foot 350lbs

How does someone like that fly economy?

;D ;D ;D

i have no clue man, but he was/is a pretty handsome fella as well (no homo)

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »

I think he would do good as well. But it really depends on the events and if the athletes train specifically. Dont think too many guys would like the bar bend or wrist roll events these days, but i'd love to see them try it.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:46 AM »
by the way kazmaier . never really for the strongman contests with apparatus . he just used them when competing . he didnt train with them beforehand . so he said . . they are bigger and stronger maybe now but fatter . maruis was lean but kaz was stronger than he was .

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
And this is not even REMOTELY at his biggest and strongest. The guy had been retired for several years by this point (heading talent for the now-defunct WBF). But do keep in mind he's wearing a single-ply squat suit here, just to say ...

Even Kaz is impressed and I think he would be a hard guy to impress in the gym.  Seems like he could have done a couple more but I see Platz has a wrap around his upper thigh, perhaps an adductor strain?  Had one recently and could barely sit on the can, don't know how he could squat. 

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »
perhaps an adductor strain?  Had one recently and could barely sit on the can, don't know how he could squat. 

Heck, had one about 2 years ago, took an extra 10 minutes to use the can, not to mention use the stairs........

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »
Even Kaz is impressed and I think he would be a hard guy to impress in the gym.  Seems like he could have done a couple more but I see Platz has a wrap around his upper thigh, perhaps an adductor strain?  Had one recently and could barely sit on the can, don't know how he could squat. 

Platz told me, when he was at his biggest and strongest (mid-'80s), on his worst day he could still squat 600 for 10, Olympic style and ass-to-ankles (he didn't squat any other way).

I believe it was about one month before the '85 O when he squatted 635 for 12. In his style, and with just a belt, this feat is NUTTY. 

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »

Nah, I talked to him about it and he said he just thought it looked cool.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »
Platz told me, when he was at his biggest and strongest (mid-'80s), on his worst day he could still squat 600 for 10, Olympic style and ass-to-ankles (he didn't squat any other way).

I believe it was about one month before the '85 O when he squatted 635 for 12. In his style, and with just a belt, this feat is NUTTY. 

That is crazy.  I've seen pics of him deadlifting some heavy shit too.  Wonder why his upper body never caught up to his legs.  He would have been freaky if they did.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
That is crazy.  I've seen pics of him deadlifting some heavy shit too.  Wonder why his upper body never caught up to his legs.  He would have been freaky if they did.

There was a time when his upper body wasn't near as lagging as some would suggest. Still ...

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
Bill Kazmaier was a very thick man.......Not sure what some of you are thinking!

Probably one of the strongest men to ever walk the earth.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »
kaz wss the first SHW WITH GREAT LINES MASSIVE DELTOIDS AND A TAPER . CHEST AND TRAPEZUIS WERE GREAT TOO . . he lacked a bit in grip strength . of couse physique is one thing and strongman is another one . but zydrunas savickacs is too fat to my taste no matter how strong he is . they need a solid base for those overhead lifts .

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »
WSM starts monday

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »
Halfthor -

6' 9", 440lbs/200kgs -

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2012, 06:13:01 AM »
its amazing how some of those people become so talll and heavy . .

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2012, 06:25:40 AM »
Halfthor -

6' 9", 440lbs/200kgs -

Wow, seems like a smart guy lol

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
zydrunas best log lift is 220 kg 484 pounds . kaz could never go over 390 pounds 20 more years ago . but he was 6o pounds lighter than savickacs and never really trained for the events .

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »
zydrunas best log lift is 220 kg 484 pounds . kaz could never go over 390 pounds 20 more years ago . but he was 6o pounds lighter than savickacs and never really trained for the events .
I met Kaz in Golds Gym in Sunrise Fl where I used to train about 1989 maybe 1990! He was good freinds with a guy I used to train with! He was about 315 maybe 320. He was fucking huge and dense! Nice guy,he was very quiet in the gym just trained and left! Kaz and Dillet are the two biggest guys I have ever seen in the gym! I saw Ronnie when he took 2nd to Flex at the South Beach Pro 1n 97 , and when he won the Night of Champions in 98! He did not impress me as much as those 2 guys as far as sheer size! Never got to see Ronnie after 99 when he got considerably bigger!

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
it seems to me that platz has nothing to do in this thread. he was not a strongman . just good at squats

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2012, 03:09:19 PM »
it seems to me that platz has nothing to do in this thread. he was not a strongman . just good at squats

and he trained like a fucking beast

Mentzer even said that Platz was the most intense trainer he'd ever seen, even more intense than him and Casey V

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
He is a beast no matter what time period he is in
Absolutely!