Author Topic: the importance of goal setting, the three times a week 2 month leg experiment!  (Read 13093 times)

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
what a crap routine.

no need at all to do 2 kinds of leg curls.
and lunges are a complete waste of time and effort.

if u need to do 3 sets of leg press then you simply arent using enough weight or doing enough reps.

to build big legs you have to train hard. to train hard means you use all your energy. you dont have any left to spend on useless lady movements like lunges.

2-3 sets of leg press for 10-20 reps, with failure at the last rep...real failure, not just a B.S. im tired failure.
2 sets of leg curls.

finished. if u have gone hard enough then you are smashed.

swap out the press for squats every few sessions. for variety do 2 sets of extensions prior to the press.

thats it. twice a week seems excessive also. you shouldnt be able to go hard again for 5-6 days. day 3-4 soreness gone, then add 2 days or so.

too many people just dont work hard enough on legs.

Single leg press is way harder and superior exercise than regular leg press.
Dumbbell lunges is great exercise to built not only the quads but also the gluteus. I must add that lunges are problably the best gluteus exercise in existence.
2 sets of leg curls is not enough volume for stimulating optimal hams development, that is why you need at least 2 hams curls exercises of 3 sets each (lying and seated) in order to develop a balanced leg development were quads do not overpower hams.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
im starting to get excited here!! ill start on monday :)

im thinking of changing to training legs three times a week

so upper body 3x and lower body 3x a totalt of 6 times per week for 2 months.

and since i dont go to failure and since im a twink there's no risk of overtraining.

im even thinking bout doing a cycle of creatine  :o

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
im starting to get excited here!! ill start on monday :)

im thinking of changing to training legs three times a week

so upper body 3x and lower body 3x a totalt of 6 times per week for 2 months.

and since i dont go to failure and since im a twink there's no risk of overtraining.

im even thinking bout doing a cycle of creatine  :o

Your legs will be too sore if you train them hard and intense 3 time a week and will be impossible to recover !!!

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
what if i take a lot of glutamine !!!!!!!

mazrim

• Getbig V
You'll be fine training legs 3x week. Your body adjusts. I do everything 3x week.

Glutamine is the key, though. Without it you are just asking for failure.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
i trust your expertise mazrim

ritch

• Getbig V
Better keep that glutamine stuffq a secret. For top pro's only...
?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Single leg press is way harder and superior exercise than regular leg press.
Dumbbell lunges is great exercise to built not only the quads but also the gluteus. I must add that lunges are problably the best gluteus exercise in existence.
2 sets of leg curls is not enough volume for stimulating optimal hams development, that is why you need at least 2 hams curls exercises of 3 sets each (lying and seated) in order to develop a balanced leg development were quads do not overpower hams.

Single leg press is one of the stupidest waste of time exercises you could do... If you use enough weight you will torque your back/hips... Add to the fact its adding time to your workout, your 3sets of two legged leg press has just turned into 6

Rudee

• Getbig V
lets take a look at some studies:

- Light slow-speed training (55-60% of 1-RM, 3 seconds for eccentric and concentric actions) has been shown to increase both muscle thickness and maximal strength [7]. The results are comparable to those obtained with heavy normal-speed training (80-90% of 1-RM, 1 second for concentric and eccentric actions).

- Both heavy (4 sets of 8-10 reps with 80-85% of 1-RM) and light training (4 sets of 18-20 reps with 65% of 1-RM) activate the expression of various genes involved in muscle growth [8].

- One 8-week study found that training with higher reps and lighter weights (3 sets of 25-35 reps) led to gains in muscle size that were on par with heavier training (3 sets of 8-12 reps) [3].

- In contrast to the conventional wisdom dictating the use of heavy weights for myofibrillar hypertrophy and lighter weights for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, high reps and light weights (4 sets of 24 reps with 30% of 1-RM) elevate myofibrillar protein synthesis in the quads for 24 hours after exercise to a far greater extent than low reps and heavy weights (4 sets of 5 reps with 90% of 1-RM) [1].

- Light training (not done to failure) also stimulates protein synthesis in connective tissue just as well as heavy training, giving it a role during injury rehabilitation to improve regeneration of connective tissue [4].

There was a world champion power-lifter and strongman competitor here in Canada back in the 80's named Tom Magee.   He was a huge advocate of a specific style of training, which he claimed gave size, strength, and power.   First set would be light weight, moved at slow speed.  i.e. 3 seconds positive, 3 seconds negative.  Second set would me medium weight moved at regular (medium) speed.  Third set would be heavy weight moved at fast speed.   He would train like this for each exercise.  The dude was incredibly strong and very muscular.

ritch

• Getbig V

Single leg press is one of the stupidest waste of time exercises you could do... If you use enough weight you will torque your back/hips... Add to the fact its adding time to your workout, your 3sets of two legged leg press has just turned into 6

I think ya gotta go easy on that one for sure. 3-0-3 tempo to make sure it's light. Pro gym here has a leg press you can make each leg force independently. Loved that leg press.

But unilateral leg training as shitty and hard as it is should be done at some point. Most of us probably push up to 20% more with the stronger leg without knowing it. It's probably better for athletes who need to be their best with both legs and all that functional shit...
?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I think ya gotta go easy on that one for sure. 3-0-3 tempo to make sure it's light. Pro gym here has a leg press you can make each leg force independently. Loved that leg press.

But unilateral leg training as shitty and hard as it is should be done at some point. Most of us probably push up to 20% more with the stronger leg without knowing it. It's probably better for athletes who need to be their best with both legs and all that functional shit...

I never thought you'd be a functional exponent... I don't know anyone with good legs that does these, put it that way. Only way I would do them would be in a unilateral press, alternating from leg to leg each rep

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
to go to the gym week after week month after month year after year with no clear goals is a mistake

goal setting is important!

i will buy a measuring tape and measure my legs and i will train them twice a week for 2 months using only the following exercises:

leg press
seated leg curl

that. is. it !

i believe i can make NOTICABLE gains on my legs in this short time, using only the two excersises mentioned above!

I'm not sure many people would make good size gains with only pussy machine exercises. Prove me wrong however.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
i'm adding cybex glutes machine to my routine and i will to legs 3 per week

so for lower body here's my routine:

leg extension for warm up 2x15
leg press 4x10
leg curls 4x10
glutes 3x12
one leg calf 3x12

this starts tomorrow, shit i forgot to buy a measuring tape i need to buy one tomorrow so i can compare my leg size in 2 months

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
i'm adding cybex glutes machine to my routine and i will to legs 3 per week

so for lower body here's my routine:

leg extension for warm up 2x15
leg press 4x10
leg curls 4x10
glutes 3x12
one leg calf 3x12

this starts tomorrow, shit i forgot to buy a measuring tape i need to buy one tomorrow so i can compare my leg size in 2 months

No need to measure, just see if your loose spandex leggings tighten up then get back to us...

ritch

• Getbig V

I never thought you'd be a functional exponent...
I don't know anyone with good legs that does these, put it that way. Only way I would do them would be in a unilateral press, alternating from leg to leg each rep

Nor am I , just do some reading here and there... But most don't do them one leg at a time as it's too demanding.
?

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
No matter how many times you train per week, squats are the bread and butter of leg training.  Trainers who avoid them will never have decent legs no matter what you do.

ritch

• Getbig V
No matter how many times you train per week, squats are the bread and butter of leg training.  Trainers who avoid them will never have decent legs no matter what you do.

That is a "yes and no" type answer as there will always be examples of great physiques who did not do squats:
Dorian.

And describe "decent" legs, as yes, EVERYONE with decent genetics could get decent legs without squats.
?

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
That is a "yes and no" type answer as there will always be examples of great physiques who did not do squats:
Dorian.

And describe "decent" legs, as yes, EVERYONE with decent genetics could get decent legs without squats.

Dorian was a poly-pharmacy. 

Stop making silly excuses and go do your squats. 

ritch

• Getbig V
Dorian was a poly-pharmacy. 

Stop making silly excuses and go do your squats. 

They all are, lol!
I think they're a great exercise, just think with leg presses, hack squats and leg extensions you can get really good quads.

I would even say front squats are night and day in terms of being the superior quad builder compared to back squats. UNless doing box squats, I will never do a regular squat again. Front squat for the win anyday.

?

maxkane69

• Getbig IV

Actually is the contrary single leg press is a safer alternative for your back and here it explain why :

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV

There are a ton of pros that would disagree... Many have built incredible legs sans squat.. I periodically do them but anything I do for legs works so I am not a good example.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
There are a ton of pros that would disagree... Many have built incredible legs sans squat.. I periodically do them but anything I do for legs works so I am not a good example.

Because they are loaded to the gills on gear.

ritch

• Getbig V
Because they are loaded to the gills on gear.

so are the other guys who squat, so what is the point of even saying that?
?

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
i can only that one day i will have the body of that guy in the one leg video

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
A guy I knew who had a pair of the best legs I ever saw would only do ATG 20 rep squats.....starting at 135 adding 20 pounds per set until he 265,then would reverse the process going back down to 135 reducing 20 pounds per set......... once weekly.

Threw in Stiff-leggeds off a bench one odd day and lying leg curls on his squat day.