Author Topic: What Your Workout Says About Your Social Class  (Read 933 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
What Your Workout Says About Your Social Class
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »
Bodybuilders = joke ass proles "overcompens[ating] for wounded manhood"?

How the Other Half Lifts: What Your Workout Says About Your Social Class
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/half-lifts-workout-says-social-class-85221/

"Sociologists, it turns out, have studied these covert athletic biases. Carl Stempel, for example, writing in the International Review for the Sociology of Sport, argues that upper middle class Americans avoid “excessive displays of strength,” viewing the bodybuilder look as vulgar overcompensation for wounded manhood. The so-called dominant classes, Stempel writes—especially those like my friends and myself, richer in fancy degrees than in actual dollars—tend to express dominance through strenuous aerobic sports that display moral character, self-control, and self-development, rather than physical dominance. By chasing pure strength, in other words, packing on all that muscle, I had violated the unspoken prejudices—and dearly held self-definitions—of my social group."

TristenEsco

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • #SHREDZARMY
Re: What Your Workout Says About Your Social Class
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
Maybe that explains all the twigs at equinox

MikMaq

Re: What Your Workout Says About Your Social Class
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »
I throwing it in. The USA, is a generation away from having an emperor.

Although Ive noticed the permabulker is a white trash phenom.

I use to rotate gyms while living in st johns. And the downtown gym had all the tall fit looking people. With the suburban gym with nothing but chubby permabulkers working out at like 3 am.