Author Topic: the bible  (Read 2446 times)

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
the bible
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
Some people always quote the bible to justify their views or a certain morality.  But they just don't get that I can give two shits what it says in teh bible so their argument is entirely irrelevant. Why don't people understand this when lecturing?
Valhalla awaits.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: the bible
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:40:54 AM »
Cavalier, who are the "lecturers?"

Are they your professors or parents where you have to listen to them?  Or are they just people with which you are having a conversation?  In which case, have you told them that you don't believe what the bible says? 
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:47:44 AM »
Some people always quote the bible to justify their views or a certain morality.  But they just don't get that I can give two shits what it says in teh bible so their argument is entirely irrelevant. Why don't people understand this when lecturing?

Cavalier22,
You already started another thread on this, remember?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=124048.0

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »
i thought i might have.
Valhalla awaits.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »
someone delete this thread
Valhalla awaits.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »
someone delete this thread

What do you mean?  They are both still here.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=124048.0

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »

According to the Bible itself, it's one of the most amoral works ever printed.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:58:22 AM »
According to the Bible itself, it's one of the most amoral works ever printed.

Really?  According to the Bible itself?  Quote the Bible on that, if that's true.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »

They do this because they are hopelessly arrogant.  It is the height of arrogance to assume that you (or anyone they do not know) shares their view of the bible as the authority for the way people should live.

When ever I get this, I like to remind them that had they been born in another part of the world, they might never have heard of the bible or they would subscribe to a different sacred text or perhaps no text at all.  In other words, their advocacy of the bible and the beliefs that go with it is an accident of timing, birth, and geography.  I decline to police my life according to such accidents.  You live your way and I'll live mine.  ;)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
When ever I get this, I like to remind them that had they been born in another part of the world, they might never have heard of the bible or they would subscribe to a different sacred text or perhaps no text at all.  In other words, their advocacy of the bible and the beliefs that go with it is an accident of timing, birth, and geography.  I decline to police my life according to such accidents.  You live your way and I'll live mine.  ;)

I was born in another part of of the world.  Christianity originated in Palestine, by one Jew, Jesus, then spread all over the world by 12 Jewish men.  Christianity is not an "American religion".  Christianity is not a "Western religion."  Jesus came to die for the entire world, including yourself, BayGBM.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 08:57:34 AM »
Check your arrogance and assumptions.  I never said anything about Christianity being an American religion.  There are plenty of people in the world who know nothing of your faith and they are quite happy with their own psycho-spiritual beliefs.  You are entitled to yours and they are entitled to theirs.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that your psycho-spiritual beliefs are valid and someone else's are invalid.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 09:12:14 AM »
Check your arrogance and assumptions.  I never said anything about Christianity being an American religion.  There are plenty of people in the world who know nothing of your faith and they are quite happy with their own psycho-spiritual beliefs.  You are entitled to yours and they are entitled to theirs.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that your psycho-spiritual beliefs are valid and someone else's are invalid.

BayGBM,
How am I being arrogant?  How am I assuming anything?  I know that there are people who have never heard of Jesus.  That's why it is our job to take the Gospel to them.  I didn't say anything.  It was Jesus who said:

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Jesus said it, not me.  Can you blame Christians for believing Jesus and obeying Him?  Are Christians arrogant for following Jesus Christ and doing as He said?  If you knew a volcano next to a town is about to erupt, would you not tell the people who live in the town and suggest that they evacuate?  Would that make you arrogant?  No.  It would be wrong for you not to tell them.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 09:20:46 AM »

You sure you are not the one assuming things?

My great grandfather, my grandfather, my father and I were those people you speak of.  We had never heard of Jesus.  We are quite happy now that American, Southern Baptist missionaries gave up their comfy life in the US and came to us and told us about Jesus.  Our former "psycho-spiritual beliefs" are invalid.  Jesus is THE TRUTH.   ;D

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »

the bible, hmmmmmm

are you delusional?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 12:37:39 PM »
Even certain theologians have points out historical fallacies in the bible, so in no way can it be a judge for moral behavior.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »
Even certain theologians have points out historical fallacies in the bible, so in no way can it be a judge for moral behavior.

List their names and the fallacies they point out.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 03:06:24 PM »
Bay GBM is just mad because Leviticus 18:22 states "Do not lie with a man as on lies with a woman; that is detestable."
I Bleed PhillyEagle