Author Topic: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A  (Read 343574 times)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Hey Adonis, Is This Guy On Drugs? MONSTER TRICEPS!
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2007, 11:43:29 PM »
jrod do you train? :o

I used to train, but not anymore.  I discovered "The Ab Energizer system- The first Multi-Electronic Exercise Belt!  Push a button and get up to 700 mutiple Ab contractions in minutes."  I stick this thing all over my body, so now I dont train anymore. 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:32 PM »
Yeah but if you knew your bodyfat at X number of pounds in the offseason and you were larger then you were last year at the same bodyfat couldn't you say you'll be x number of lbs bigger this year come contest time? I'm about 210lbs at 18"-20" bf so I think 175lbs would be my contest weight but I don't know... Your pics are very motivational.. you should post more!

First of all, thanks for the nice words.

As for the X pounds thing, I don't know if it really works like that.  Either way, I'm not big on the idea of weight or BF% to determine my own progress; at least when it comes to small differences.  Obviously if I weigh 100lbs more...  but 3 lbs., well that could come from just drinking more water.  I sometimes weigh myself out of curiosity, but most of the time, I'm not really interested in what I weigh.  I mostly just use the mirror to gauge my progress, conditioning, etc.

hardkor

• Getbig II
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2007, 12:01:46 AM »
Great to have you here Jrod! 

I'm amazed how much water you drink up until you hit the stage.  50 ounces before prejuding?  That's like 8 cups right....wow! 

I see you use egg whites AND additional salt while dieting.  Do you manipulate SODIUM during the last week like you do water? 

Your conditioning is amazing!  How much does it differ from one week to the day of the show? 

Thanks and good luck!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2007, 04:22:11 AM »
I take it Apenis hasn't posted a pic.  Thought so.  And the other guy on here blows Apenis away by a mile  Apenis posted in Oct in this thread he'd have pics up.  This guy is full of shit

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2007, 02:46:43 PM »
Great to have you here Jrod! 

I'm amazed how much water you drink up until you hit the stage.  50 ounces before prejuding?  That's like 8 cups right....wow! 

About 6 cups.  I try to keep my water intake high several weeks before the show so that I can go down to a gallon on the show day/s and still look dry.

I see you use egg whites AND additional salt while dieting.  Do you manipulate SODIUM during the last week like you do water? 

Yes, I do something similar to my water intake to my sodium intake: high sodium before the show so that when I cut down to a reasonable amount I get the desired effect.

Your conditioning is amazing!  How much does it differ from one week to the day of the show? 

Thanks!  I'm assuming you mean from week one to the day of the show.  Well, I dont look bad/out of shape in the offseason.  My abs are clearly visible, I have some seperation in my thighs, triceps heads are clearly defined, etc.  I would say that the important details aren't the same in the offseason as show time (dry, striated glutes and triceps, etc.), but I am still what most people would call lean.  I'll take a picture sometime and post it to give you a better idea since it has been offseason since mid-July. 

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2007, 05:03:41 PM »
I used to train, but not anymore.  I discovered "The Ab Energizer system- The first Multi-Electronic Exercise Belt!  Push a button and get up to 700 mutiple Ab contractions in minutes."  I stick this thing all over my body, so now I dont train anymore. 

Fascinating! So you admit to doing the adonis spaceman workout?
just push some weight!

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »
Jeff you still shred it up on the blades?
http://www.graphicmuscle.com/pop_report.cfm?ReportID=206

Also hows your blood pressure when your taking all this sodium? 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2007, 11:46:03 AM »
Jeff you still shred it up on the blades?
http://www.graphicmuscle.com/pop_report.cfm?ReportID=206

Also hows your blood pressure when your taking all this sodium? 

I did not get my blood pressure tested at the time so I'm not really sure.  Maybe drinking so much water would have helped though.

Hahaha, I don't skate much anymore; but, I'm sure I could still hit some rails. 

Actually, rollerblading is sort of what got me into bodybuilding.  I broke my wrist (compound fracture) rollerblading and I used to have to go to physical therapy for it.  I started going to the gym only with the intention trying to strengthen my injured wrist and arm (the arm in the cast got a lot smaller than the other).  But after a while I would bring my friend Mike along and we would mess around with some of the equipment.  It only took a few months until my Mike and I started to take it more seriously.

Looking back on those times I can say that we used to have some TERRIBLE workouts.  The effort and intesity of our workouts was good, but we just didnt know what we were doing.  I remember one day Mike and I were trying to battle for who could handle the most sets on this ab machine.  We started to feel weak and dizzy after about 23 sets to failure on this ab machine (this is after training chest), so we decided we should eat.  We walked over to the McDonalds a block from the gym, had some McChickens and came back for another 2 hours of training...  We could never figure out why we would get so sick and dizzy.

Another time, I remember that we stopped by GNC before training.  I managed to convince the guy there to give us a free a jar of expired protein.  Mike and I were so excited  cause we thought that drinking some protein would immediately make us stronger and give us a lot of energy.  So we Mike and I sat in the gym parking lot and together drank the entire 2lb. jar of protein one scoop at a time (we used McDonalds cups cause we didnt have shakers).  It was so gross, but we thought we were just being tough.  Then we tried to workout but that didnt last long cause we both got really, really sick and spent our time in the bathroom (never had protein powder before and that was about 15 scoops or about 300g of protein in one sitting).

AVBG

« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2007, 03:42:57 AM »
Great thread :)  It's good to have you posting on getbig. You have a phenomenal physique PERIOD.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
Great thread :)  It's good to have you posting on getbig. You have a phenomenal physique PERIOD.

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »

Thanks and good luck!

As promised, here is an off-season picture taken earlier today.  This is as deep into the off-season as I will get this year because I am starting my diet (14 weeks out) for the Team Universe on Saturday.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2007, 03:41:25 PM »
Damn man,your off-season condition,is better than most peoples conditioning on contest day.  :)

Good luck in the Team U bro,you look fantastic to say the very least.

pumpher

• Getbig III
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2007, 06:53:49 PM »

I totally agree. And that "offseason" photo is awesome.

AVBG

« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »
I totally agree. And that "offseason" photo is awesome.

I'd like to get in that type of condition regardless if its "offseason" LOL!

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #214 on: April 04, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »
So you do no Cardio whatsoever? Just change the eating habits?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2007, 08:57:27 PM »
So you do no Cardio whatsoever? Just change the eating habits?

Well, no cardio in the off-season.  I have not done cardio since (I have this written down) June 23rd, 2006.  However, I will do cardio when I am closer to the show (depending on how my conditioning is coming along). 
As for the eating habits, I eat clean year round so the biggest change will be weighing my food out, and later the addition of vegetables and a few other changes. 

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2007, 11:47:17 AM »
Looking good jrod. Everything is in proportion.
just push some weight!

hardkor

• Getbig II
« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2007, 10:23:16 AM »
How bout carbs Jrod?  Do you load up the last few days before a show? 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2007, 04:53:45 PM »
How bout carbs Jrod?  Do you load up the last few days before a show? 

Not to the extreme that I've heard some people go up to, but, yes, I load up with a reasonable amount gradually.  If anything I try to play it safe and under do it, rather than overdo it.  I figure that if I already look good, then I better not do anything too crazy or drastic. 

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2007, 04:12:55 AM »
Hozit JRod

First off well done  on your off season condition I'm sure your off season discipline will pay off .

Few questions..

You say you don't do much cardio, what sort of job do you do? is is quite physical ? (i.e. Personal trainer, construction) - One usually finds lean guys who don't do cardio expend calories via there job etc. If you're a desk jockey then your metabolism must be quite fast and fat set point naturally pretty low then...but you do say your diet is on point year round which also makes a difference.

What are your calories +- in the off season? and how do you eat on your non training days? (i.e. Do you eat less calories than on training days ?)

You say you train similar to Max Ot in what way do your training philosophies differ? (reps , volume etc)

Do you take a week off or back off for a few weeks every few weeks to recover?

What sort of poundages do you use on your major lifts?

Shot!
Keep well
Justin

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2007, 04:03:05 PM »
Hozit JRod

First off well done  on your off season condition I'm sure your off season discipline will pay off .

Few questions..

You say you don't do much cardio, what sort of job do you do? is is quite physical ? (i.e. Personal trainer, construction) - One usually finds lean guys who don't do cardio expend calories via there job etc. If you're a desk jockey then your metabolism must be quite fast and fat set point naturally pretty low then...but you do say your diet is on point year round which also makes a difference.

What are your calories +- in the off season? and how do you eat on your non training days? (i.e. Do you eat less calories than on training days ?)

You say you train similar to Max Ot in what way do your training philosophies differ? (reps , volume etc)

Do you take a week off or back off for a few weeks every few weeks to recover?

What sort of poundages do you use on your major lifts?

Shot!
Keep well
Justin

My job (as I like to call it) is being a full-time proffesional student.  I am getting my BS in Mathematics from the University of California; it isn't physially demanding at all. 

I am guessing my calories off season are about 3300 - 4000.  I know its a wide range, but here is how generally eat:  I try to get at least 50-60g protein, a least 30-40g carbs per meal, about every 2 hours.  I like eating fish (salmon or tuna usually), chicken, or steak with rice; and the rest of my meals are usually protein powder + oatmeal.  The # of calories usually depends on how long I'm awake in a day (EG 16 hours = 7-8 meals), and whether its an off day (= less calories) or a training day (= more calories since I have a pre, mid, and post workout shake of whey+dextrose).

As for how my training differs from Max-OT, I would say it doesn't go against Max-OT, its just that I probably rest a bit more (off days), and maybe take a bit longer to train sometimes.  For example, I train usually 2 days on, 1 off.  Sometimes I'll train 3 in a row, but usually 2.  Also, some days (especially quads/leg day), I take over 1 hour to finish (i try to finish in 1 hour, but sometimes I just need more rest or I doubt I'll make it).  My reps and volume are all within the ranges prescribed by Max-OT.   

As for my week off, I take one (as prescribed by Max-OT) every 8-10 weeks.

As for Poundages:
Today was leg day, so here is what i did.  Squat 345 for 6 (365 for 4 best before last week off), Front squats (with a sting ray) 275 for 5, Leg Press 26 plates total (13*45 per side) for 5.
2 Days Ago chest & triceps: Barbell Bench press 305 for 4, Incline Dubmbell Press 120 for 5, Lying Triceps extensions (behind head, not to forehead) 175 for 4.
Other than that (all 4-6 reps):  Barbell Curls  170, Weighted pull ups (havent done since summer) 120, Barbell rows 335, deadlifts 430, Stiff legged deadlifts (6-7 reps) 415  Dumbbell rows 145, v-bar pull-downs (depending on machine usually the whole stack or close to it)  280-300.

--Jeff

By the way, I admire your conditioning....

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2007, 04:05:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply and the compiliment..Damn! Got to try beat condition of that guy in the photo this year! ;)

I'm just heading into my pre-contest season now and getting really for our Nations here in South Africa. Aiming to make our National team again and compete in the "CLASSIC BB DIVISION" at the IFBB Worlds in South Korea in early November.

I've come to the same conclusion after training Max Ot for a number of years. I just found 5 days in a row was way to much...accumulate overtime I just got too worn out. (2 on 1 off or 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off) seems to work for me too.

I'm actually experimenting right now with having a back off week every 5 weeks because I seem to peak out then and on week 6,7,8 I was starting to feel a bit run down  :-\ so it really only one acclimation week and then 4 weeks of blasting heavy (it also seems to help up the intensity if you know you've only got 4 weeks...8 weeks for me just seemed too much) I guess you just have to listen to the signs your body is sending you... I'm 34 so maybe when you're younger your body can handle more abuse :)

I actually just ordered one of those STING RAYS for front squats (the bar was choking me out and crushing my clavicles)
I've actually been using the Manta ray for back squats for the past few years and I've found it really helps distribute the load over your back (not so much spinal compression) It take a bit of getting use to, you're poundage’s may drop a bit at first (because you're more upright due to the bar sitting higher on your back) but I definitely feel the weight more in my quads than in the glutes and hamstrings. So IMO I think it's superior for bodybuilding than a normal "low on the back" power lifting type squat (well for me anyway).

Good luck with the studies and the TU, who knows maybe I'll get to meet you at the Worlds.

Cheers
Justin

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2007, 04:06:32 AM »
I'd like to get in that type of condition regardless if its "offseason" LOL!

haha, i thought the same.

nice "offseason".

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply and the compiliment..Damn! Got to try beat condition of that guy in the photo this year! ;)

I'm just heading into my pre-contest season now and getting really for our Nations here in South Africa. Aiming to make our National team again and compete in the "CLASSIC BB DIVISION" at the IFBB Worlds in South Korea in early November.

I've come to the same conclusion after training Max Ot for a number of years. I just found 5 days in a row was way to much...accumulate overtime I just got too worn out. (2 on 1 off or 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off) seems to work for me too.

I'm actually experimenting right now with having a back off week every 5 weeks because I seem to peak out then and on week 6,7,8 I was starting to feel a bit run down  :-\ so it really only one acclimation week and then 4 weeks of blasting heavy (it also seems to help up the intensity if you know you've only got 4 weeks...8 weeks for me just seemed too much) I guess you just have to listen to the signs your body is sending you... I'm 34 so maybe when you're younger your body can handle more abuse :)

I actually just ordered one of those STING RAYS for front squats (the bar was choking me out and crushing my clavicles)
I've actually been using the Manta ray for back squats for the past few years and I've found it really helps distribute the load over your back (not so much spinal compression) It take a bit of getting use to, you're poundage’s may drop a bit at first (because you're more upright due to the bar sitting higher on your back) but I definitely feel the weight more in my quads than in the glutes and hamstrings. So IMO I think it's superior for bodybuilding than a normal "low on the back" power lifting type squat (well for me anyway).

Good luck with the studies and the TU, who knows maybe I'll get to meet you at the Worlds.

Cheers
Justin

Justin, 
funny you should mention that about taking a back off week every 5 or so; I was thinking about doing the same.  Or even training 5-6 weeks hard, then taking 4 days off.  Even though I'm 23, I still think I need plenty of rest.  That is one really important thing I have learned this year, that a lot of rest is important.  Actually, over the summer, right after the TU, I was so eager to make improvements that I added 1 set to most major body parts (back, chest, quads, hamstrings).  After a few months, I started to get a bunch of little annoying injuries.  Recently, I have backed off and cut down on sets and am now getting stronger than ever (EG I cut down on sets for chest; today was chest and I benched 325 for 4, which is a personal record). 

You're right, maybe one day, if I'm lucky, I'll get to meet you at the Worlds.  Take care, and good luck with your contest prep.  If you take some, it would be interesting to see some pics of your progress as you get ready for Nationals (South Africa).

--Jeff

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
Re: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
what did you do to get the outer tri? :o  my tris are getting pretty big, but really only the inside and lower one seem to be growing.
you suck at life...