Author Topic: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A  (Read 343567 times)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A
« Reply #300 on: June 14, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »
Hey J-Rod, what do you think of Machine Pullovers - 1-2 sets on the 4-6 rep range, doing a 4-6 sec. negative and explosive positive?  As part of a 6 set back workout.

My initial reaction upon reading this was to say that I would prefer weighted pull-ups or cable pull-downs (for an exercise that targets lats, primarily).  However, this may not be a fair response as I have never done machine pullovers before (my gym here does not have one).  After thinking about this for a moment, here's what I think.  If pullovers feel like theyre stimulating your back well, you think they're a good exericse, and you can go heavy on them, then they should be okay.  Of course I would say that if I was only able to do ONE back exercise it would not be machine pullovers, but incorporating them into your routine once in a while (if you like them) can't hurt.  I think it is important to find what works well for YOU.

On a side note, I think its good that you are going to focus on the negative (though 6 seconds seems like a really long time).  That is one thing I have learned which has really helped; focusing on/controlling the negative part of the movement.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #301 on: June 14, 2007, 01:39:37 AM »
What count do you prefer for positive and negative J?

Is this the same for all movements, or do you vary it from exercise to exercise?

(Hope this hasn't been asked & answered already... long thread!)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2007, 11:07:35 AM »
What count do you prefer for positive and negative J?

Is this the same for all movements, or do you vary it from exercise to exercise?

(Hope this hasn't been asked & answered already... long thread!)

I don't have a specific count which I shoot for, nor do I actually count in my head while I'm doing a set; rather, I simply know (based on feel) when I am in control and putting enough emphasis on the negative.  If I were to guess, it would be something like fast/explosive (maybe a second) on the postive, and about 2-3 seconds on the negative.  But, again, I simply know by feel when I am in control. 

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
can anyone let me know about where JROd's off season diet is in this thread, or maybe bump it...I'm very intereted in checking it out but don't think I can go through the whole thread to find it.  I've recently become very intersted in the GI and using it to lean out, I've made some progress but would like to know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks
nasser=piece of shit

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2007, 09:02:34 PM »
can anyone let me know about where JROd's off season diet is in this thread, or maybe bump it...I'm very intereted in checking it out but don't think I can go through the whole thread to find it.  I've recently become very intersted in the GI and using it to lean out, I've made some progress but would like to know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks

I don't think Jrod worries much about GI. Looks like the main source of carbs in his contest diet is straight glucose  :o

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #305 on: June 15, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »
Here is the basic structure of my diet:

MEAL#

1)  High GI Carbs,  Protein (low fat)         

TRAIN (~2 hours after meal 1)

Pre workout: Dextrose, Whey
   Mid workout: Dextrose, Whey
   Post workout: Dextrose, Whey
   25 min post workout: Dextrose, Whey

2) 1 hr post workout:  High GI Carbs, Protein  (low fat)

3)  2 ½ hr post workout:  High GI Carbs,  Protein (low fat)

4)  ~2 hours after meal 3:  Low GI Carbs,  Protein

5)  ~2 hours after meal 4:  Low GI Carbs,  Protein, good fats

6)  ~2 hours after meal 5:  Low GI Carbs,  Protein

7)  ~2 hours after meal 6:  Low GI Carbs,  Protein, good fats

My offseason and precontest diet follow the same basic structure (though amounts and ratios change).

I posted this above, but http://www.glycemicindex.com/ has a good database to check the GI of different foods.

Big Lee

• Getbig II
  • Roadhouse was a great movie.
« Reply #306 on: June 17, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
I use the pullovers because it doesnt use the bicep and the neg. is easier to control.  I usually do 1 set of weighted chins to failure. (OH) then 1 set of Machine Pullovers to failure, 1 set of Floor deads, no straps, 1 set of cable rows and 1 set hyperextensions. All in the 4-7 rep range, with the slow neg.  First rep is 6 sec. and then 2-3 like you are doing.  I usually hit back with 5-6 real sets and warm up the OT way.  I am due to compete in 16 weeks at 95kg and 6 feet 1.  You are a fair bit bigger than me though.  I have some deads and squats on youtube under the search :Big Lee heavy deadliftin or squats.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2007, 01:46:03 AM »
I use the pullovers because it doesnt use the bicep and the neg. is easier to control.  I usually do 1 set of weighted chins to failure. (OH) then 1 set of Machine Pullovers to failure, 1 set of Floor deads, no straps, 1 set of cable rows and 1 set hyperextensions. All in the 4-7 rep range, with the slow neg.  First rep is 6 sec. and then 2-3 like you are doing.  I usually hit back with 5-6 real sets and warm up the OT way.  I am due to compete in 16 weeks at 95kg and 6 feet 1.  You are a fair bit bigger than me though.  I have some deads and squats on youtube under the search :Big Lee heavy deadliftin or squats.

I took a look at some of your videos on youtube.  Damn, that deadlift was impressive--very strong!  Good luck with your show in 16 weeks. 

Big Lee

• Getbig II
  • Roadhouse was a great movie.
« Reply #308 on: June 21, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »
Thanks bro, I have the photo from this thread of your tricep on my fridge as the benchmark for condition.  You are a good inspiration for me.  I appreciate the comments. Leon.

AVBG

« Reply #309 on: June 21, 2007, 06:33:47 PM »
Thanks bro, I have the photo from this thread of your tricep on my fridge as the benchmark for condition.  You are a good inspiration for me.  I appreciate the comments. Leon.

That's a killer tricep shot!  8)

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #310 on: July 03, 2007, 01:42:30 PM »
what titles have you won Jrod?

AVBG

« Reply #311 on: July 03, 2007, 02:11:09 PM »
How's the TU preps going, what weight class are you entering?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
what titles have you won Jrod?

Haven't won any titles.  I am not deserving of the title of this thread ..."Nattie BB CHAMP"

Hopefully one day I will deserve the title. 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #313 on: July 03, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »
How's the TU preps going, what weight class are you entering?

The prep has been and is going well.  Just a couple more days to go!

I don't know which class I will fall under, middle or light-heavy.  My guess is that I will just make one or the other.  I'll either be at the top of the middleweight class, or at the bottom of the light-heavyweight class. 

AVBG

« Reply #314 on: July 03, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
Haven't won any titles.  I am not deserving of the title of this thread ..."Nattie BB CHAMP"

Hopefully one day I will deserve the title. 

Jrod a bit of psychology.. "the body won't go where the mind hasn't been FIRST".. You are a BB champ!

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2007, 11:59:19 AM »
I came across this and thought it might be of some interest to you guys:

"Creatine Efficacy Headlines At Sports Nutrition Meeting
Kre-alkalyn supplementation has no beneficial effect on creatine-to-creatinine conversion rates.
Creatine ethyl ester rapidly degrades to creatinine in stomach acid..."

http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templates/newsATemp.aspx?articleid=18806&zoneid=28

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #316 on: July 05, 2007, 03:19:46 AM »
Yup.  I got wind of this a couple weeks ago and tried to contact AAP (makers of KreAlkaline) for a comment and I even get through on their website.  They appear to have battened down the hatches.

Are you gonna tell us that's why you've always used monohydrate, 'cause you knew all along J?  ;D

Seriously man, is monohydrate your preference?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #317 on: July 05, 2007, 12:54:53 PM »
"Are you gonna tell us that's why you've always used monohydrate, 'cause you knew all along J?  ;D"

Hahah, no.  I have always used monohydrate because, 1) I dont usually trust the hype behind "new"/"breakthrough" supplements which are "600% better" ...  2) monohydrate is SOOO much cheaper. 

Even if these other two forms of creatine were A BIT better (not 600% better!), I think I'd still take monohydrate because of the cost. 

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #318 on: July 06, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »
That's what i said all the time.

creatine monohydrate is the best.

Except CEE, all other forms of creatine are a hype. -citrate, -alkalyn, -whatever.

and even CEE is only for the people that get stomach problems on monohydrate.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2007, 11:54:19 AM »
5 days out! My last day of eating vegetables

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »
Hang in there J!

How are the lifts?  Have you lost much strengh?  Also, what was your average loss per week?

BTW, will you be wearing your "Team GetBig" shirt at the comp?  ;D

AVBG

« Reply #321 on: July 08, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »
Hang in there J!

How are the lifts?  Have you lost much strengh?  Also, what was your average loss per week?

BTW, will you be wearing your "Team GetBig" shirt at the comp?  ;D

What there are T-shirts?!? LOL..

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #322 on: July 08, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »
Uhh...ya!  PM me for details!  Only $89.95!

J - That word above should be "strength."

Just to clarify, I meant - what was your average weight loss per week? 

Let us know how it goes at the comp... we'll comp ya a shirt!  :D

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2007, 10:11:41 PM »
Geeze thats tough , low carb and low fat meals like that!  How many calories u on a day atm JROD or have been coming up to the comp?

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2007, 08:52:59 AM »
5 days out! My last day of eating vegetables

Go JROD! give it horns all the way to the end  man! Got 7 weeks left till my first contest of '07 so I'm busy treading up the path you've been climbing.
Hope all goes well and looking forward to seeing some pics of your freaky conditioning and hearing how thing went .

Justin