Author Topic: 1945 Mr America Clarence "Clancy" Ross -RIP....  (Read 13524 times)

JohnnyVegas

1945 Mr America Clarence "Clancy" Ross -RIP....
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:45:32 PM »
My old mentor and gym owner Clancy Ross, at age 84, is doing good! Still living in the Bay Area, in the city of Concord- and still lifting.

It was good to hear about how he was doing. Have not seen the guy since the mid 80s when he was working at Russ Warner's Hayward studio/store.

Clancy opened up the Clancy Ross Mr. America Club in Walnut Creek, CA in 1977, with Arnold at the grand opening. It was my first commercial gym, and really started me off down the BBing path.

Anyway, Clancy is a great guy, and was one of only two men to beat Steve Reeves in competition.

The article also mentions Norman Marks, who still has his Oakland gym. Norman Marks had one of the very first 10K sq/ft gyms when he moved his gym to it's current Oakland location in 1981-only Gold's Gym Venice, which was also 10K sq/ft (only main roon when opened) was as big in 1981.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_9000429?source=most_viewed

stan55

• Getbig I
Re: 1945 Mr America Clarence "Clancy" Ross Alive and Well!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »
Clancy Ross really brings back memories.
When I was playing High School Football in the late sixties, we used to swap copies of Strength & Health Magazine and Ironman Magazine.
There were always articles and photos about the training routines of the stars like Clancy Ross.

Two others I remember are Marvin Eder and John Grimek.
Those guys were amazing.
I remember a photo of Marv Eder doing  parallel bar dips for repititions with a 200 LB. dumbell strapped to his belt.
Another photo showed him doing a parallel bar dip with two men hanging from his waist (about 400 LBs,)
 :)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
here's the pic
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »
ross pics
F

stan55

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the pic of Eder, Funk.

I recognize the two guys in the Photo with Clancy Ross.
Bill Pearl and Tommy Kono.
I haven't thought about those guys since I was a teenager.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the pic of Eder, Funk.

I recognize the two guys in the Photo with Clancy Ross.
Bill Pearl and Tommy Kono.
I haven't thought about those guys since I was a teenager.

Is that really Bill.  The guy does look a little like Tommy.  I have only known those two since the early 90's so they look a lot different than in the pic. 

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
I joined The Clancy Ross Mr. America Club in 1980. It was in Walnut Creek.. excellent gym. Plenty of competetive BB's & powerlifters. Clancy was a cool old cat.

It's good to see he's doing well.  :)
a

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:03:42 AM »
yeah thats bill here 's another old pic of 3 legends
F

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »
yeah thats bill here 's another old pic of 3 legends

The 1949 USA-Steve, Grimek and Clancy-Steve came in 3rd, Clancy 2nd.

stan55

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 07:43:03 AM »
John Grimek was a great all around athlete.
He competed in weightlifting competitions as well as bodybuilding conests.

I remember reading an article in an old S&H Magazine that in the 1940's, the National Board of Directors for the YMCA was debating whether to provide weight-lifting equipment in YMCA's nationwide.
There was some resistence from some Board members because of the old myth that weight-lifting made you "muscle-bound".

According to the article, Bob Hoffman took John Grimek to a meeting of the Board members. Grimek performed a series of calesthentics and acrobatic moves that demonstrated his flexibility and balance and stamina. Grimek walked on his hands, did handstand push-ups, cartwheels, situps, one-leg squats and a varirty of tumbling moves non-stop, for five minutes and was barely breathing hard when he finished. The Board of Directors were so impressed with Grimek that they unanimously voted to equip YMCA's with weight training equipment.

BTW - Does anybody have any info on Bert Goodrich? Was Goodrich the first Mr. America? Did Goodrich compete in other competitions?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »
go on www.musclememory.com for all your questions stan.
F

Moosejay

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 07:29:34 PM »
Huh.

Great news.

I think I will call Clancy...he requests weights if anyone has them, to call his apt complex....I'll send him some dumbells if he will have them.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »
Huh.

Great news.

I think I will call Clancy...he requests weights if anyone has them, to call his apt complex....I'll send him some dumbells if he will have them.

One of the writers at Ironman Magazine called Clancy to send some equipment and see if he could get an interview. Clancy said after the article ran in the paper, and Ironage and Getbig picked up the stories he received a bunch of equipment-almost too much.

I wish we had received the contact info on him sooner.

Very sad he died.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »
One of the writers at Ironman Magazine called Clancy to send some equipment and see if he could get an interview. Clancy said after the article ran in the paper, and Ironage and Getbig picked up the stories he received a bunch of equipment-almost too much.

Very sad he died.

It's very sad...sometimes...just when a connection begins again...it's time for one to go to the other side.

Moosejay

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »

Very sad he died.

You know...a few months before I saw this, I tried to look Clancy up in the nat phone directory, just to call him and talk to him. Couldn't find his info, even though I knew he was alive.

I am sorry I never got to meet or speak with him. A part of history gone forever....