Author Topic: RIP Bill Pearl  (Read 7381 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: RIP Bill Pearl
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2022, 12:22:23 PM »

&t=11s 
F

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2022, 12:31:18 PM »
:)

I wonder if that's Mark Cameron on the right, big US Olympic lifter 70's, 80's -

He looks a bit like Arnold's kid there.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
I wonder if that's Mark Cameron on the right, big US Olympic lifter 70's, 80's -

He looks a bit like Arnold's kid there.

Thought the exact same thing after I made my post but was too lazy to change it!

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2022, 03:38:56 PM »
Thought the exact same thing after I made my post but was too lazy to change it!

I wonder if it's too late for Arnie to claim it's Bill's kid. 3 some gone awry.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2022, 04:00:46 PM »
I wonder if it's too late for Arnie to claim it's Bill's kid. 3 some gone awry.

Before his name is on a slab, I hope Mike Katz ventures out west one more time to take young Joseph under his wing. The day will finally come when Arnold walks into Gold’s and then up to Mike just so he can say, “You remember Joey?”

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:33 PM »
RIP

Arnold must be getting scared with all the old greats dying off

This. ^

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2022, 08:02:38 PM »
Legend. :(

But I have never seen a picture of a back double biceps pose from him in my life.

Weird.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2022, 08:15:05 PM »
Legend. :(

But I have never seen a picture of a back double biceps pose from him in my life.

Weird.

I've seen a few of the angled versions, but never a straight on BDB in print.

Past his prime, but here he is doing one at 1:57 -

Most of the posing is front, I wonder if he just didn't like back poses.

Edit - another earlier one at 5:57 here -

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2022, 08:21:06 PM »
Thanks, BB. 8)

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2022, 06:11:39 AM »
If you pick a baterial infection while in the hospital and die because of it ....

Does your family gets any type of compensation ????

Wooo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$hhhhh

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2022, 06:48:24 AM »
I've seen a few of the angled versions, but never a straight on BDB in print.

Past his prime, but here he is doing one at 1:57 -

Most of the posing is front, I wonder if he just didn't like back poses.

Edit - another earlier one at 5:57 here -

56 GUEST POSING...looked damn good.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2022, 06:26:13 PM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2022, 06:33:55 AM »
   William Arnold Pearl was born in Prineville on October 31, 1930. While he was still a young boy, the family moved to Yakima, Washington, where his father opened a restaurant. Bill and his brother and sister worked in the resteraunt, Bill washing dishes,three or four nights a week and weekends, for no pay. To earn money he worked summers in Hop fields or orchards.
He began his weight training career by lifting gallon cans of vegetables overhead and by lying on the floor of their family diner hauling a gunny sack full of potatoes onto his chest and pressing it in a crude fashion as many times as possible.
When Bill was 14, his friend, Al Simmons, knowing of his desire to develop into a strongman, came to the Pearl home holding a war-time issue of Strength & Health magazine. Bill spent the intire summer saving money to purchase a York Big 10 Adjustable Barbell set.
Enlisting in the United States Navy in 1950, Pearl won the 13th Naval District "Heavyweight Wrestling Championship" and the "Pacific Northwest All-Comers"
 meet in 1951. He was 11th Naval District heavyweight champion the following year, but was defeated in the first qualifying round for a place on the United States Olympic wrestling team.
While serving in the United States Navy, Pearl was stationed in San Diego, where he began training at Leo Stern's gym. Encouraged by Stern, at age 22, he won the first of several major bodybuilding contests including the 1953 AAU Mr. California and Mr. America events.                                                                             The same year, he captured the NABBA Amateur Mr. Universe title in London. In 1956, he won the Professional Mr. USA contest.
Subsequently, Bill's international tours earned him NABBA Professional Mr. Universe titles in 1961, 1967, and 1971. His competitive bodybuilding career spanned a nineteen-year period.
Complementing his interest in weight training and bodybuilding, Pearl became a leader in the fitness industry. He owned and managed several gyms on the West Coast from the 1950s through the 1970s.
In 1962, Pearl purchased George Redpath's gym in central Los Angeles, that became one of the first co-ed facilities in the United States. The gym attracted national and Olympic track athletes, professional baseball players, and world-class power-lifters and bodybuilders.
During his career, Pearl trained and coached nine Mr. America winners and fourteen Mr. Universe champions. In the 1960s, he contracted with North American Rockwell's Aerospace Program to guide training protocols for Rockwell executives and astronauts. This job lasted for nearly ten years.
With Bill's fame as a world-class bodybuilder, came opportunities to speak about fitness, weight training, and bodybuilding. During the 1960s, Pearl traveled to more countries than any other Mr. America before him.
Spreading advice about fitness, weight training, and bodybuilding became a lifetime commitment for Pearl, and he wrote three best-selling books, including Keys to the Inner Universe (1978), Getting Stronger (1986), and Beyond the Universe: The Bill Pearl Story (2003).
At this time he traveled extensively for Life Fitness as, among other things, a good-will ambassador. One of the presentations he did for them was a slide presentation on The Golden Age of Strength. This was the inspiration for his (Labor of Love) "Legends of the Iron Game"  which he compiled over a period of eight years.
At this time he traveled extensively for Life Fitness as, among other things, a good-will ambassador. One of the presentations he did for them was a slide presentation on The Golden Age of Strength. This was the inspiration for his (Labor of Love) "Legends of the Iron Game"  which he compiled over a period of eight years.
In 2004, Pearl was awarded the Arnold Swarzenegger Classic Lifetime Achievement Award for significantly impacting the world of bodybuilding. (A list of other awards can be found on Wikipedia.)
Pearl retired from bodybuilding and settled in Talent, Oregon, in 1978, where he operated Bill Pearl Enterprises. His workout facility was housed in a barn on his property, and people came from all over the world to work out with him.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BILL PEARL  IN THAT GREAT IRON PALACE IN THE SKY.
F

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2022, 07:45:29 AM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2022, 07:48:13 AM »

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2022, 08:14:47 AM »
Wow. That video of Bill guest posing at 56 years old is really impressive. He doesn't look too far off his peak condition from decades earlier. A little smaller but great condition, full, no tears or saggy muscles/skin etc...

Compared to 90' pros dead, small, useless, losing limbs and organs, can't walk etc...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2022, 09:11:34 AM »
   Did Bill Pearl Win the 1971 Mr. Universe Contest with Kindness?
   Throughout bodybuilding history, contests have been won for various reasons other than someone being the most well-developed, aesthetically pleasing.  Bodybuilding is a subjective sport, and the definition of perfection differs from person to person.  Contests have been won due to physical attractiveness, charisma, etc.  In its early years, the Mr. America contest winner needed to be a good-looking and well-spoken individual who would be a great representative of America.  It is easy to see how someone as attractive as Steve Reeves, charismatic as Arnold Schwarzenegger, or as charming as John Grimek might have an edge in a subjective sport such as bodybuilding.  But has a bodybuilding contest ever been won because of kindness?

Bill Pearl is and will be bodybuilding’s greatest gentleman.  In a sport where competitors are often stereotyped as brutes with IQs not breaking triple digits, Pearl broke the mold.  He has been a great representative of bodybuilding for eight decades now and usually praised his opponents instead of bashing them.  In the rare case Pearl said something derogatory about someone it was always worth noting.  Steve Reeves brought bodybuilding aesthetics, Arnold Schwarzenegger brought it into the mainstream, and Bill Pearl brought it decorum.  To say Bill Pearl is a nice guy is an understatement.

Bill Pearl is also one of the most successful bodybuilders to ever compete in major contests winning 10 of the 12 contests he entered.  His worst showing was taking 3rd place in the first contest he entered at age 21 (Mr. San Diego) and he took 2nd place in the 1956 NABBA Pro Mr. Universe losing to the great Jack Delinger.  The only bodybuilder with a better record was the immortal and undefeated John Grimek.

Bill Pearl, Reg Park & Sergio Oliva - A Battle of the Giants
   The contest in question was the 1971 NABBA Pro Mr. Universe held

September 17th in London, England.  Pearl was reluctantly competing and had every right to be angry.  He had been comfortably retired for the past four years and was now back on stage at almost 41 years of age feeling like he had been pulled out of retirement for the wrong reasons, and only to please others.

He had been called out by Joe Weider and Arnold Schwarzenegger in several of Weider’s muscle magazines.  Apparently, Weider was upset that many of his readers frequently wrote letters to the magazine about Pearl, praising him as the greatest bodybuilder ever.  Nautilus founder, Arthur Jones, and Sergio Oliva also challenged Pearl to come out of retirement for the contest.  Jones and Pearl had gotten into a spat about the effectiveness of Nautilus equipment vs. free weights and Jones had been training Oliva exclusively on his equipment to try and promote his products as the builder of champions.  Jones had offered Oliva $5,000 if he could beat Pearl in the contest.  Pearl didn’t have any help from his longtime trainer, Leo Stern, who also challenged him to come out of retirement and shut up the critics.

Facing Pearl that day were some of the greatest bodybuilders to ever walk the stage: Sergio Oliva, Reg Park, and Frank Zane.  It was arguably one of the greatest bodybuilding contests ever assembled and certainly would have been the greatest if Weider would have let Arnold compete in it.  However, Weider had recently enacted a rule that any athlete would be suspended from the IFBB for a year if they competed in an event outside of the IFBB which would have made Arnold ineligible to compete in the Mr. Olympia contest the following weekend. 

Before the competition began an event occurred backstage that might have played a role in Pearl winning the contest.  The competitors were backstage pumping up preparing to go out and pose when according to his autobiography, Beyond the Universe: The Bill Pearl Story:

A young Belgian boy, about eleven years old, had been brought backstage, to see and possibly meet some of the contestants. The father nudged the boy, his autograph book in hand, toward Sergio.  BIG MISTAKE!  The moment the boy got into his space, Sergio shouted something like, "Get the hell out of here! I don't have time for autographs!  See me after the show!"  The outburst shocked the father and son to the point where you could actually see dismay on their faces.

Bill Pearl and the Belgium boy, identified as Chris Vandenbroele in Pearl's autobiography
Regaining his composure, the father began pushing the boy toward me.  The boy walked over, his head down, autograph book at arm's length, afraid to make eye contact. Having seen the crestfallen look on the child's face, I signed my name and then picked him up and placed him on my shoulder as he flexed his skinny arm while his father snapped a photograph.

The next time I saw his father, he was looking at me while sitting at the judge's table with a smile on his face, nodding his head up and down, mouthing the word, "Yes--yes--yes."

While this is certainly an interesting story, and no doubt true if told by Bill Pearl, it begs the question; Did a judge potentially switching his vote from Oliva to Pearl make any difference?  According to an article written for Muscular Development magazine shortly after the contest by its General Secretary, Oscar Heidenstam:

It was Pearl with 10 firsts, Oliva with four firsts.  So Bill took his fourth Mr. Universe title, and we doubt if there will ever be another Mr. Universe contest like that again.

Based on Heidenstam’s article it appears there were a total of fourteen judges and 10 cast their first-place ballots for Pearl and 4 cast theirs for Oliva.  Based on this information, if the Belgium judge in question had voted for Oliva instead of Pearl the final first place vote tally would still have given Pearl first place easily at 9 first place votes to 5.

While this story is certainly interesting, it appears Pearl would have won the contest easily even without the potential switched vote from the Belgium judge.  It is worth noting however, this story proves that factors outside of the objective judging of one’s physical perfection seem to play a role in bodybuilding.  It is human nature for our perception of others, including their attractiveness, to evolve as we learn more about their character. It would follow then that a great champion in a lineup of perfect bodies would have to exude some extra intangible quality like confidence, charisma, or maybe even kindness.  THE STORY BEHIND THOSE PICS.

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2022, 06:33:33 AM »

&t=1036s
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus