Author Topic: Dennis Rodman: LeBron James Would Be 'Average Player' If He Played In 80s, 90s  (Read 6204 times)

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
Basketball Hall of Famer, North Korea ambassador and unique human being Dennis Rodman has decided someone needed to say it: LeBron James obviously would be an average NBA player in the 1980s or 1990s.

You see, as Rodman explained Friday on The Dan Patrick Show, James plays in an era when basketball has gone soft. Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen (and presumably Dennis Rodman) were playing in a real era and therefore are better than the four-time MVP.

“LeBron came into the age of the game at a perfect time. Michael came into the game when back then you could hit people, knock him down, shoot a free throw and get back up,” Rodman said. “And LeBron can’t do that. All they do today is (complain) about a foul.”

Rodman presumably has knocked James down and had him not get back up.

“If LeBron was playing in the late ’80s and early ’90s, he would be just an average player,” Rodman said. “LeBron is more like … there’s no flash to his game.”

For what it’s worth, Tracy McGrady, a former NBA scoring champ, current San Antonio Spurs reserve and much more normal human being, sort of agreed with Rodman on Friday in Miami.

“It’s different then it was,” McGrady told USA TODAY Sports’ Alex Kennedy. “Then, when I came in ’97, you had men in the league. There’s a lot of boys in this league now. And that’s what I’ve been trying to tell guys when they’ve been asking me questions about LeBron and Jordan. I’m like, ‘Come on man, y’all can’t be serious.’ This man MJ was playing against grown men out there. There’s a lot of boys in the league right now. That seems to be the difference.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/dennis-rodman-michael-jordan-lebron-james/

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
You have to laugh at a society where grown men get paid to run up and down a hardwood floor bouncing a big orange ball that they have to throw through an orange ring and get paid millions to do it.  Their contribution to society in the end is the same as Vince Goodrums

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
To DR's point.  I don't remember but only a couple guys in the 80's or 90's that can run and jump as high as Lebron.  Magic, Bird, Barkley, Malone etc... wish they could jump like that.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
“It’s different then it was,” McGrady told USA TODAY Sports’ Alex Kennedy. “Then, when I came in ’97, you had men in the league. There’s a lot of boys in this league now. And that’s what I’ve been trying to tell guys when they’ve been asking me questions about LeBron and Jordan. I’m like, ‘Come on man, y’all can’t be serious.’ This man MJ was playing against grown men out there. There’s a lot of boys in the league right now. That seems to be the difference.” [/b]

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/dennis-rodman-michael-jordan-lebron-james/

McGrady is right.  The league is full of high schoolers and undeveloped college players.  Complete junk.  Detroit would have sent Lebron off the court crying, and he would have been in foul trouble after the 1st qtr against Boston.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
You have to laugh at a society where grown men get paid to run up and down a hardwood floor bouncing a big orange ball that they have to throw through an orange ring and get paid millions to do it.  Their contribution to society in the end is the same as Vince Goodrums

More people need to put the whole hero worshipping sports star thing into perspective.  If every sports star in the planet disappeared the world wouldn't change one bit.
A

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Lebron wouldn't be shooting the ball around Rodman, for fear of having his shot blocked into the stands. He would be doing assists like a mofo.

All games now are 4th quarter games.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
and yet McGrady cant seem to score 20 points a game against these "BOYS"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
More people need to put the whole hero worshipping sports star thing into perspective.  If every sports star in the planet disappeared the world wouldn't change one bit.

Wrong, the world would probably change for the better, less gambling degenerates, people actually doing stuff with their lives than spending all day Sunday indoors watching sports.  More work would be achieved.  Without sports this world might be a better place.
Sports are the original Reality shows for brainless entertainment and most of the time it's scripted as so.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Lebron wouldn't be shooting the ball around Rodman, for fear of having his shot blocked into the stands. He would be doing assists like a mofo.

All games now are 4th quarter games.
You are dillusional! I love Dr.J. he is my favorite NBA player of all time, but not for one minute would I say that he was better than Lebron! Rodman would have a snowballs chance in hell of stopping Lebron! Rodman is a drunken drugging cross dressing moron who had physical gift!

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
The hand-checking rule (which was not in place for most of Jordan's career) fundamentally changed the game (i.e. made defense a lot harder), although letting them actually play zone now balances that out some.

LeBron would be among the best two or three players in the league in any era regardless.

Parker

• Getbig V
You are dillusional! I love Dr.J. he is my favorite NBA player of all time, but not for one minute would I say that he was better than Lebron! Rodman would have a snowballs chance in hell of stopping Lebron! Rodman is a drunken drugging cross dressing moron who had physical gift!
Rodman's cross dressing, and drugs have nothing to do with this. Rodman gave Shaq fits and was a rebounding king...He gave zero fucks, protected the ball, threw elbows, etc. which is why he would have given Lebron hell. Rodman was athletic, not a slow poke, played like a monster, something you don't see nowadays.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Rodman's cross dressing, and drugs have nothing to do with this. Rodman gave Shaq fits and was a rebounding king...He gave zero fucks, protected the ball, threw elbows, etc. which is why he would have given Lebron hell. Rodman was athletic, not a slow poke, played like a monster, something you don't see nowadays.

Rodman should have won the finals MVP in the Bulls last year.  he was dominant but they still gave it to Jordan but Rodman was averaging something like 20 rebounds per.

THEBOSS

• Getbig IV
  • Another day of being huge
::)  Its pathetic

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

Rodman should have won the finals MVP in the Bulls last year.  he was dominant but they still gave it to Jordan but Rodman was averaging something like 20 rebounds per.

I always get the feeling too many people either forget how good Rodman was due to his all-round wierdness over-shadowing memories of his playing days or are too young to have seen him play.
Guy was a defensive demon. I modelled my game (though in no way my life) on his.

Parker

• Getbig V
I always get the feeling too many people either forget how good Rodman was due to his all-round wierdness over-shadowing memories of his playing days or are too young to have seen him play.
Guy was a defensive demon. I modelled my game (though in no way my life) on his.

when Rodman was pulling down rebounds, nobody could stop him. Hardly anybody plays like that today. And elbows, please...Lebron and company would be flopping all over the court, trying get a foul called.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V

Don't forget his D.  Rodman was a monster on defense.  The guy is an all around winner.  Not sure Lebron will ever see 5 rings.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V

Remember his outlet passing as well.  Dude would grab a board and Pippen, Jordan, Thomas..... would break and he would bomb 3/4 court passes perfectly. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Wrong, the world would probably change for the better, less gambling degenerates, people actually doing stuff with their lives than spending all day Sunday indoors watching sports.  More work would be achieved.  Without sports this world might be a better place.
Sports are the original Reality shows for brainless entertainment and most of the time it's scripted as so.

LOL...ok dude. Jibberish. This world would be a better place without a lot of things but I wouldn't put sports at the top of the list.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
Rodman should have won the finals MVP in the Bulls last year.  he was dominant but they still gave it to Jordan but Rodman was averaging something like 20 rebounds per.

???

He averaged 8.3 rebounds a game against Utah in the '98 Finals.  He also gave up 25 PPG to Malone so his defense wasn't especially remarkable (although that's not a bad result against Karl).  Rodman was a great player, maybe the most unique the league has ever seen, but he wasn't especially good in that series.

Meanwhile Jordan was averaging 34 PPG (at 35 years old!) and pretty much single-handedly winning games since Pippen was crippled.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
???

He averaged 8.3 rebounds a game against Utah in the '98 Finals.  He also gave up 25 PPG to Malone so his defense was especially remarkable (although that's not a bad result against Karl).  Rodman was a great player, maybe the most unique the league has ever seen, but he wasn't especially good in that series.

Meanwhile Jordan was averaging 34 PPG (at 35 years old!) and pretty much single-handedly winning games since Pippen was crippled.

My favorite era of b-ball.  I sometimes watch youtube clips over and over of those games. Clyde, Malone, Barkley vs Jordan

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
My favorite era of b-ball.  I sometimes watch youtube clips over and over of those games. Clyde, Malone, Barkley vs Jordan

Growing up in the '90s with Jordan and the Bulls spoiled the NBA for me.  I still love watching it but it's not the same anymore.

Parker

• Getbig V
Remember his outlet passing as well.  Dude would grab a board and Pippen, Jordan, Thomas..... would break and he would bomb 3/4 court passes perfectly. 
yep, shit would be hilarious to see...
And you know what, if he was on Lebron's team, he would be HUGE help, pick off a rebound, pass it, and Lebron would have an easy 2 points...

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
Growing up in the '90s with Jordan and the Bulls spoiled the NBA for me.  I still love watching it but it's not the same anymore.

We were lucky to have seen it!  I remember going to the old chicago stadium and watching Jordan get introduced right through the end of the game scoring 38.  There is nothing like it.  I go to a lot of games in different cities and I have yet to feel anything close to that.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
We were lucky to have seen it!  I remember going to the old chicago stadium and watching Jordan get introduced right through the end of the game scoring 38.  There is nothing like it.  I go to a lot of games in different cities and I have yet to feel anything close to that.

the game has sucked for a bit.  Stern doing too much tinkering.  Did you see the end of the game last night?  With about 5 minutes left you could see the stadium emptying out.  Fucking shit fans in Miami.  one of the main reasons why I hate seeing them win, they have the worst fans out there.  In the first round you could see groups of empty seats.