Author Topic: 425lb DL at 153lbs  (Read 12430 times)

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
Re: 425lb DL at 153lbs
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 02:28:40 AM »
Always use the trap bar for deads. Much more natural positioning.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2012, 02:33:41 AM »
Always use the trap bar for deads. Much more natural positioning.

Mentzer would not agree >:(

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:29 AM »
Mentzer would not agree >:(

Haha. I have very short arms, I can't use an olympic bar whilst keeping the correct posture through my back. The trap bar seems to suit my long legs, short torso, short arms very well.

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »
fucker could probably tie his shoelaces standing up.

He'd make a good burglar; his arse is where his footprints are.

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 03:55:35 AM »
Coach, you are aware that the nefarious Crossfit has infiltrated Westside, correct?

Very solid lifts for a man that small in stature.

In college, I was hitting 400 on the trap bar (non elevated handles--it was a custom Jim Sutherland model--he invented the hydraulic squat stands) at a bw of 175.  Decent weight for a tennis player.

Is this kid on house arrest?  Why the ankle bracelet?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »
I suffered a distal bicep tear...completely off the bone..in 2009.  To this day I fear deadlifts.   Maybe I'm just a candyass?
or smart. ;D
F

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
Coach, you are aware that the nefarious Crossfit has infiltrated Westside, correct?

Very solid lifts for a man that small in stature.

In college, I was hitting 400 on the trap bar (non elevated handles--it was a custom Jim Sutherland model--he invented the hydraulic squat stands) at a bw of 175.  Decent weight for a tennis player.

I know they like crossfit but not sure what form of "crossfit" they like. I'm not even sure crossfit knows what they are. I just know in general I don't agree with it whether westside endorses it or not. As far as the ankle bracelet, I'll keep that to myself. He's a kid and is learning a lesson.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »

He'd make a good burglar; his arse is where his footprints are.

way to publicize his crime, coach

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
From today....

lol @ the spotter.  rack it, rack it, rack it NOW!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »
meh...

425lb deadlift would be impressive

if it was a chick

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:18 AM »
Only in weight training this shit flys. Imagine someone saying "I'm super smart for a retard".

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2012, 04:26:04 AM »
From today....

Thanks. I still say about 260, maybe 280, if breaking parallel. One inch lower than that and he would lose at least 50lbs, and that is a few inches above parallel.
I'm just too good... just a pic and I can tell what someone squats. ;D Now film a circa max deadlift.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »
Q: why would you have a speed/endurance athlete complete single rep max lifts?

A: because you don't have a clue

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 08:07:59 AM »
I found I can lift 100lbs over my deadlift with a trap bar. First the handles are higher than a barbell. The position also gives you a better pulling position.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
I admit that I'm guessing here somewhat, but the guess is based seeing a lot over the years.
I'm assuming the kid box squats with a wider stance than he would do a "normal" squat. And hitting real depth on a box takes a lot of practise for most. Has this kid spent years box squatting and training his technique to hit a below parallel wide-stance box squat? Unlikely for a soccer player.

Yes, the box squat would be lower if one were doing an Olympic style squat, and deloading the quads before powering back up, but that's not how most of these kid "athletes" do it. More like bouncing back up. :D

The Westsiders mostly lift in feds where they wide stance squat to a shallower depth than in the IPF for example. The box squat isn't that popular in the IPF for a reason.

I'm guessing the squat here looks something like this. Slightly above parallel and "touch and go" technique. For someone who isn't a very experienced lifter, say a young soccer player, it boosts the loads you can use.

Or worse, like this. Double your loads.  :D

how do you deload your quads?

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
I don't even know if he does "normal" squats. You know how long it often takes to learn proper squatting technique before it's even smart to really start loading the exercise? Does the kid have the time, does Coach have the time to teach a kid to squat for months over months?

I mean, that's probably why Coach doesn't like regular deads. It takes so much drilling to teach someone to deadlift properly before you can really load the exercise. Trap bar, just squat the weight, try to take the back completely out of the exercise. :D

Van, I think that the trap bar is beneficial.  Also, I think you need to be "ass down" on any form of deadlift.  If you are bending over too much, the straight bar will "float" away from your shins too far, and you either lose the lift, or put yourself in a bad position.

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
Now this is just my opinion, but it looks like your athlete did not "touch and go" on the box.

It looks like he had a fairly hard impact with the box (shearing force, compression of vertebrae, etc.) and then wobbily came out of the lift.

What happened to the old days of Frenn picking his feet up while on the box to "explode" off?  I am not a fan of that either, but why the change?

I am a fan of straight weight.  Own a certain weight by mastering the mechanics of the lift, utilizing the same form you had with the PVC, then the barbell, then 135, then whatever.

If form changes, you did something wrong.  It may be boring, but guess what?  You are never kidding yourself or the trainee.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2012, 11:38:07 AM »
I didn't even see the box in the vid earlier when I looked at it on my phone. :D

I'm not the professional trainer/coach so I'm not going to criticize too much but I got to say
I wonder about the purpose behind this type of training (for a soccer player).

how do you deload your quads?

Basically you just relax the quads when sitting on the box. Probably explained in the link posted earlier in this thread. Some even lifted the feet up a bit as they sat on the box and then stomped down again, as Silverspoon mentioned. I'm sure some still do but probably not as popular as it used to be.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »
Also, I think you need to be "ass down" on any form of deadlift.  If you are bending over too much, the straight bar will "float" away from your shins too far, and you either lose the lift, or put yourself in a bad position.

See, I think just the opposite. I think many, many recreational trainers have weak-ass lower backs and that's why they get lower back problems/tweaks from squatting, bent over rows, light deadlifts, anything at all. It's from not doing any real lower back work. Some trainees at the gym always complain that they can't squat or do some other exercise because their lower back is injured, and my humble suggestion is always regular deadlifts and good mornings, but they always look at me like I'm crazy. :D Their instinct always seems to be avoid any further lower back stress. I believe in regular deadlifts, good mornings and so on for lower back. It's a real weak link that doesn't have to be, and though I'm no athletic coach I would think having a strong lower back would help athletes in their sport, in preventing lower back injuries.

Doing heavy trap-bar SQUATS is dangerous for the lower back for these kids because they don't have a strong lower back... get a little out of line and they will for sure tweak their weak-ass lower backs. Just what they are trying to avoid doing this "safe" exercise.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
Q: why would you have a speed/endurance athlete complete single rep max lifts?

A: because you don't have a clue

Interesting, so you think I just throw programs together without know why? This isn't bodybuilding Jr.

Why would I have a speed athlete complete 1RM's? Because as I've said a million times, speed starts in the weight room, not on a field, speed technique is on the field. You can't get more explosive or faster by just running. In order to develop speed you have to develop power, harder you can apply POWER to the ground by driving that foot under your hip, the faster you'll go. Not only that it takes a lot of power not only to explode in a lineal run, it's takes even more to change direction when in a stride. If athletes are weak in just one area, start looking for on field, non-collision injuries to happen. There ya go, in a nut shell. Anymore questions smartass?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
See, I think just the opposite. I think many, many recreational trainers have weak-ass lower backs and that's why they get lower back problems/tweaks from squatting, bent over rows, light deadlifts, anything at all. It's from not doing any real lower back work. Some trainees at the gym always complain that they can't squat or do some other exercise because their lower back is injured, and my humble suggestion is always regular deadlifts and good mornings, but they always look at me like I'm crazy. :D Their instinct always seems to be avoid any further lower back stress. I believe in regular deadlifts, good mornings and so on for lower back. It's a real weak link that doesn't have to be, and though I'm no athletic coach I would think having a strong lower back would help athletes in their sport, in preventing lower back injuries.

Doing heavy trap-bar SQUATS is dangerous for the lower back for these kids because they don't have a strong lower back... get a little out of line and they will for sure tweak their weak-ass lower backs. Just what they are trying to avoid doing this "safe" exercise.

what have you heard about olympic lifters and knee injuries?  seems like the bouncing off the bottom of the movement can't be good on your knees long term.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

We've never had an injury. Things to remember, if your posterior chain is strong in all areas then you should be confident in the lift. Posterior chain is one of the main priorities in my programming. Also, (and I'm sure you'll argue this point) as I've said before, Trap bar DL is knee dominant while straight bar is more hip dominant.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
what have you heard about olympic lifters and knee injuries?  seems like the bouncing off the bottom of the movement can't be good on your knees long term.

I seem to remember that their knee injury rates aren't that alarming, but can't say for sure. Just remember some trainers saying their knees aren't that bad off, all things considering, especially compared to other athletes.

Maybe The Coach knows.

Also, (and I'm sure you'll argue this point) as I've said before, Trap bar DL is knee dominant while straight bar is more hip dominant.

No I'm sure you're right.

What do you do specifically for lower back?

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
Are you saying Coach's lifts are as exaggerated as his political claims?

/cheap shot. apologies. not really.   ;D

My dear chimp, there is a substantial difference between claims that are literally incoherent and those that are exaggerated.