Author Topic: Unemployed Harrison generating little interest  (Read 4239 times)

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
Unemployed Harrison generating little interest
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »
Some people think he's a diva. Seems like the Indianapolis front office has issues with anybody not named Peyton and badmouthed him

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap082509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Marvin Harrison(notes) turned 37 on Tuesday. However, the former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver shouldn’t expect a new NFL contract as a birthday gift.

At least that’s the opinion of five NFL personnel men who were asked last week about the prospects of Harrison ending up on a roster anytime soon. While that’s hardly definitive (it takes only one team to have a need for Harrison to get a job), a lot of things are working against the second-leading receiver (1,102 catches) in league history.

“The biggest question I have is, can he really play anymore?” said one general manager. “When I watched the tape of him, he really didn’t look like he had that much left. You can see that the knee [injury from 2007] is still bothering him.

The consensus opinion about Harrison, who at 6-foot, 185 pounds never has been an overpowering receiver, is that he has lost a lot of quickness. That quickness allowed him to get away from defenders in the past. Without it, opposing teams regularly were able to cover Harrison, who averaged a career-low 10.6 yards per catch last season, with nickel and dime cornerbacks.

What makes Harrison’s physical condition worse is that he offers limited potential on special teams, the prevailing thought of personnel guys. Though he occasionally could catch punts, backup wide receivers commonly have to be able to play special teams.

In addition, there is a perception that Harrison had an attitude problem. Cleverly hidden for years behind Harrison’s Garbo routine is that he and quarterback Peyton Manning(notes) didn’t get along, which could be the fault of either player. However, there is a memorable exchange that an opposing coach once had with Harrison before a game in 2006. When the coach noticed that Harrison was catching punts in warmups, he walked over to Harrison to ask what was going on.

“Marvin smiled a little, just a little, and then said, serious as a heart attack, ‘It’s the only way to get the ball around here,’ ” the coach said of a player who set an NFL record with 143 grabs in 2002 but was limited to just 80 the past two seasons.

Harrison has been deemed to be just as much a diva as a number of other receivers – without the high-profile public displays. That said, it allegedly annoyed plenty of people, which is why the Colts ultimately cut ties with him in the offseason.

Even more, there’s the off-field issue. Harrison was questioned about a shooting that took place near one of his businesses in his hometown of Philadelphia in April 2008. However, Harrison never was charged with anything.

So while reports surfaced in the offseason that Harrison wasn’t ready to retire, there’s been a stagnant to nonexistent market for his services.

“Normally, you’d think a guy like Marvin would have a few offers out there by now, but I haven’t heard of anything aside from the report that Tennessee called about him,” one personnel executive said. “Really, there’s nothing out there, and it’s not like there are some teams that couldn’t use a guy like that. Jacksonville needs a guy. Miami needs a guy. Kansas City, San Francisco, Washington, they all need somebody.”

body88

Re: Unemployed Harrison generating little interest
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
Didn't he cap someone and get away with it?

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »

His name was mentioned in connection with a shooting. Don't think he was charged or anything. Can't remember the details though 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
I thought he just had a gun and shots were fired in Philadelphia somewhere.
D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »
Didn't he cap someone and get away with it?
im thinkin marvin harrison is the quiet mob boss of philly...he shot at a guy while he drove down the street with "2" guns...then the guy who he shoots at gets shot again...

the funny thing is...i didnt even know marvin harrison could speak...i have never heard him talk...but i think he is the boss if philly

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:42:50 PM »
im thinkin marvin harrison is the quiet mob boss of philly...he shot at a guy while he drove down the street with "2" guns...then the guy who he shoots at gets shot again...

the funny thing is...i didnt even know marvin harrison could speak...i have never heard him talk...but i think he is the boss if philly

;D

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:08:38 AM »
Precise route runner with great hands.  Legal issues and the bad press spewed by the Indy front office is killing interest.

body88

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »
Precise route runner with great hands.  Legal issues and the bad press spewed by the Indy front office is killing interest.

Nah.  He's washed up and over the hill.  His knee is more fucked up than he is letting on, and no one wants to take on the baggage.  Pacman got a second chance, Mick Vick - etc.  The fact that Harrison might have shot at someone is not keeping him from being signed, imo.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 02:51:19 PM »
Nah.  He's washed up and over the hill.  His knee is more fucked up than he is letting on, and no one wants to take on the baggage.  Pacman got a second chance, Mick Vick - etc.  The fact that Harrison might have shot at someone is not keeping him from being signed, imo.

na he shot at that guy....with 2 guns..and when the dude said something about marvin ...he shot him again....boss if pilly

body88

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
na he shot at that guy....with 2 guns..and when the dude said something about marvin ...he shot him again....boss if pilly

Links to this?  Official charges, remeber this is the real world.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »
Links to this?  Official charges, remeber this is the real world.

Yo b.,..dont try to play me fam

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4359721

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
A Philadelphia man who claims he was caught in the crossfire during a shooting rampage by Marvin Harrison is suing the former All-Pro wide receiver, saying that a bullet fired by Harrison is still lodged in his back.

Harrison

In the suit, Robert Nixon, 33, claims he saw Harrison shoot at another man with guns in each of his hands on April 29, 2008, and continue to fire when the target fled the scene in his car. He said Harrison "continued shooting at the other person ... as [he] drove past plaintiff. In doing so, a bullet from defendant's handgun struck plaintiff in the back with great force and violence."

The seven-count suit alleges assault, battery negligence and reckless misconduct.

It is the second suit against Harrison in connection with the shooting on West Thompson Street, where Harrison owns a car wash and garage. The man he allegedly fired on, Dwight Dixon, filed a suit last year that accused Harrison of retaliating for a shouting match that turned physical when the two traded punches. Dixon claimed he was shot "intentionally" and "outrageously."

In a bloody twist last week, Dixon was gunned down by an unknown assailant as he sat in another car, just blocks from where the April 2008 shooting occurred. Police say an assailant approached the driver's side of his Toyota Camry and fired four times, then shot through the back window before unloading two more slugs in the passenger side. Video surveillance taken by a camera at a nearby store shows the gunman -- wearing a hooded sweatshirt, jeans and white sneakers -- fleeing with his head lowered and face obscured. Dixon was struck in the chest, stomach and arm.

Dixon told police that he believed the shooting was linked to the earlier incident. But authorities have no evidence to back up the claim and have not been able to interview Dixon, who is listed as being in critical condition at Hahnemann University Hospital. Dixon's attorney, Robert Gamburg, said his client has been slipping in and out of a coma.

In interviews with police last year, Harrison acknowledged quarreling with Dixon. He also surrendered a rare Belgium 5.7-caliber handgun, fully loaded, to police who questioned him at his garage. According to prosecutors, ballistics tests later showed that the gun fired five of the six cartridge casings that were found at the shooting scene.

But while Harrison admitted to being in his garage during the melee, he denied having the gun with him that day, saying it was in his suburban home. Police and prosecutors have yet to reconcile how the gun could have been in Harrison's home if it was used to shoot Dixon.

In the first shooting incident, Stanley McCray, an employee of Harrison's, told police that he saw Dixon with a weapon but did not see him raise or fire it.

In January, Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham said she would not file criminal charges because the case was steeped in conflicting witness accounts. She specifically mentioned Nixon, who initially told police he knew nothing about what happened but four days later signed a statement saying he was positive that he saw Harrison with a gun. Abraham said Nixon, who has a rap sheet for petty drug possession and is currently in jail for illegally having prescription pain pills, "admitted that he had fabricated many of the details."

But a law enforcement source who has seen Nixon's statements to police disagrees. The source told ESPN that while certain elements of Nixon's story changed, his identification of Harrison remained consistent after he began cooperating. Indeed, police were so confident in his account that they placed him in protective custody for two weeks last spring. Nixon left the custody voluntarily.

A spokesman for Abraham did not return a call today seeking comment about whether Nixon's suit would prompt her to reconsider opening the case.

The NFL has previously decided that, given the district attorney's decision, there is "no basis for any disciplinary action" against Harrison.

Harrison, a 13-year NFL veteran with possible Hall of Fame credentials, was released at his own request by the Colts at the end of last season after being asked to take a pay cut. He is currently trying to secure a free-agent contract.

MARVIN HARRISON IS A BEAST

body88

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
Let me know when charges come down and arrests are made.  Harrison is quite the gangster, it seems.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »
Let me know when charges come down and arrests are made.  Harrison is quite the gangster, it seems.

I dont think charges will come down bro...Sheeeit...sounds like a boss to me...guy shot by your gun...you admit to it being your gun...but nothing happens...sounds like he is the underboss of philly to me...who knew???

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Injuries are frequent in the NFL. Somebody will make a call to him at some point this season.

He's definitely working out and staying in shape, just in case.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
Woah...WTF...Did you read the story on espn today...Marvin is seriously in some kind of Gangsta Shit...

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »
Woah...WTF...Did you read the story on espn today...Marvin is seriously in some kind of Gangsta Shit...

Dude went to the Q and "yes, He will Mother Fuckin Kill You".  :o
D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04:14 AM »
Dude went to the Q and "yes, He will Mother Fuckin Kill You".  :o

Bro...did you read the story...he is a wild dude

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
Bro...did you read the story...he is a wild dude

I have always heard stories from friends and cousins that went there but i never thought for it to be true.  :-\
D

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »
The Pittsburgh Thuglers should offer him a contract.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
The Pittsburgh Thuglers should offer him a contract.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!