Author Topic: Godzilla  (Read 15489 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Godzilla
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
I have not seen one of the old black and white Godzilla movies in years. They used to be on about every weekend when I was growing up.  :)

Gareth Edwards on Godzilla: "We Want to Stay True to the Fanbase"
Over at Empire Online, writer/director Gareth Edwards has revealed a little bit more regarding his new take on Godzilla.
As Edwards explains it, the moment he was first asked about helming the modern updating of Godzilla somehow seemed destined. "When I got the call from my agent," he says, "I was in my bedroom and right in front of me by my DVD player was the 1954 Godzilla. He asked, 'Are you a fan?' And I said, 'Yeah, I'm looking at him right now.' It was incredible.

"The thing that’s so interesting is that Godzilla has evolved since the original one in the ‘50s," Edwards said, "so there is the opportunity to bring it up to date. But we want to stay true to the fanbase as well and I’m a fan of the Toho films. Everyone's got a very strong opinion about Godzilla and what it should be."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/scifimediazone/news/?a=34139

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Godzilla
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=47570

Is This The First Look at GODZILLA?
Legendary Pictures is rebooting GODZILLA with Gareth Edwards (Monsters) to direct and David Goyer (Batman Begins) is writing the screenplay. But will the powerful monster be CGI or a man in a rubber suit?

Last time Godzilla got the Hollywood treatment was in 1998 when Roland Emmerich (Independence Day) and SONY created a film that hardly resembled anything that fans were accustomed to. The star, Godzilla looked nothing like he usually does. Is as though they took the name Godzilla and slapped a Jurassic Park look to the film.

As for the reboot that Legendary Pictures is working on, infamouskidd's source is reporting that creature sculptor, Hector Arce's design of Godzilla is the blueprint. Even more exciting is that Legendary is rumored to be going with a rubber suited Godzilla instead of all CGI creation. How great is that?

Our source in the know on the new look of Godzilla sent us off in the direction of Hector A. Arce, a creature/fantasy sculptor, who we’ve been told is part of the design team for Legendary’s film, primarily because this version of Godzilla is based on a sculpt he did of Godzilla quite some time ago. Legendary’s roll-out of GODZILLA concept art at Comic-Con back in 2010 was based on his design, and, even with a few tweaks here and there, I’m hearing that the final approved version of Godzilla shouldn’t look that drastically different from this:

The bigger question though is – how will Godzilla be brought to the screen? Will it be another CGI creation? Will we be lucky to get an old-school rubber suit? I’m hearing that the plan, as it stands now, is for Godzilla to actually be in the flesh, with someone filling a rubber suit for Godzilla’s return. The head will be controlled by animatronics, and any touch-ups needed for the final film will then fall upon CGI.

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:29:55 PM »
Even more exciting is that Legendary is rumored to be going with a rubber suited Godzilla instead of all CGI creation. How great is that?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:04 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/scifimediazone/news/?a=48303

Godzilla Gets the Criterion Treatment
While Godzilla prepares for his big screen American makeover, Criterion has also been working on an ultimate Blu-ray/DVD release of the original 1954 film to star the Big G, which will be released on January 24, 2012.
Beyond the best transfer of Godzilla to disc yet, the Criterion version will include the following extras:

*New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

*Audio commentary by David Kalat (A Critical History and Filmography of Toho’s Godzilla Series)

* New high-definition digital restoration of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Terry Morse’s 1956 reworking of the original, starring Raymond Burr

* Audio commentary for Godzilla, King of the Monsters by Kalat

* New interviews with actor Akira Takarada (Hideto Ogata), Godzilla performer Haruo Nakajima, and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai

* Interview with legendary Godzilla score composer Akira I[frick]ube

* Featurette detailing Godzilla’s photographic effects

* New interview with Japanese-film critic Tadao Sato

* The Unluckiest Dragon, an illustrated audio essay featuring historian Greg Pflugfelder describing the tragic fate of the fishing vessel Daigo [frick]uryu maru, a real-life event that inspired Godzilla

* Theatrical trailers

* New and improved English subtitle translation

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic J. Hoberman

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
Gregzs, love your updates man. You into gaming at all?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
Gregzs, love you updates man. You into gaming at all?

I'm not really- just the movies, tv, and comics I grew up with.

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
* Audio commentary by Godzilla, King of the Monsters by Kalat
i wish ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:04:52 AM »
 8)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=49636

Legendary Pictures Hires Max Borenstein To Pen Godzilla Remake
Kaiju beware! The King of Monsters is gearing up for a city stomping, tail slapping, atomic breath powered return to the big screen. Details after the jump.

Source: THR

Max Borenstein (The Seventh Son) has been tapped to write the planned remake of Godzilla. He currently wrote screenplay for Seventh Son for Legendary which is currently in pre-production. Apparently,the brass at Legendary are so impressed with his work that he's being given the responsibility to kickstart a potential tentpole franchise for the company. Sounds risky to me, seeing as he virtually has no other credits to his name unless you count writing a litany of films that were later re-written by others. Time will tell if that trend of near misses continues here or if this is indeed Mr. Borensstein's big brake.

Gareth Edwards, the director of the indie sci-fi movie Monsters, is attached to direct the Legendary Pictures film. Warner Bros. will distribute through Legendary.

David Goyer (The Dark Knight)worked on the last version of the script. It's currently unclear as to whether this will be a brand new script or simply a reworking of Goyer's efforts.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=60056

"It's going great and I'm genuinely excited about it. We're just working really hard with Legendary, who have been fantastic. Thomas Tull has just been an absolute pleasure and nothing like the experience they warn you about when you go to Hollywood. I can't say much other than I hope that we'll have some proper news soon. So you won't have to wait too long at all."

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 03:06:49 AM »
 8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:42:17 AM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/scifimediazone/news/?a=48303

Godzilla Gets the Criterion Treatment
While Godzilla prepares for his big screen American makeover, Criterion has also been working on an ultimate Blu-ray/DVD release of the original 1954 film to star the Big G, which will be released on January 24, 2012.
Beyond the best transfer of Godzilla to disc yet, the Criterion version will include the following extras:

*New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

*Audio commentary by David Kalat (A Critical History and Filmography of Toho’s Godzilla Series)

* New high-definition digital restoration of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Terry Morse’s 1956 reworking of the original, starring Raymond Burr

* Audio commentary for Godzilla, King of the Monsters by Kalat

* New interviews with actor Akira Takarada (Hideto Ogata), Godzilla performer Haruo Nakajima, and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai

* Interview with legendary Godzilla score composer Akira I[frick]ube

* Featurette detailing Godzilla’s photographic effects

* New interview with Japanese-film critic Tadao Sato

* The Unluckiest Dragon, an illustrated audio essay featuring historian Greg Pflugfelder describing the tragic fate of the fishing vessel Daigo [frick]uryu maru, a real-life event that inspired Godzilla

* Theatrical trailers

* New and improved English subtitle translation

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic J. Hoberman

raymond burr wasn't really supposed to be in the film his footage was added to give an american interest to the story. godzilla is a great franchise, remember the king kong vs godzilla movie?
F

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
raymond burr wasn't really supposed to be in the film his footage was added to give an american interest to the story. godzilla is a great franchise, remember the king kong vs godzilla movie?

TCM aired the original version without Raymond Burr a few weeks ago in a marathon with Rodan and Mothra. They were in Japanese with English subtitles.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=62596

Surprise! GODZILLA Coming to Comic-Con

Yesterday Latino Review broke the story that Marvel's 2014 mystery movie is Guardians of the Galaxy and now they have even more exciting news. Legendary Pictures who has been extremely quiet on the Godzilla front will finally unleash their vision of the creature for all to see at Comic-Con this year in the enormous Hall H.

Not only is Legendary bringing the Lizard to comic con but get this, I hear the presentation is SICK! I’m not going to get into specific spoiler territory because then what’s the point of attending the panel, but take this one to the bank.

Godzilla will stomp both the audio and video systems within Hall H two weeks from this Saturday! I’ll be there to witness it myself. I can already envision them shutting down the lights, hearing Godzilla’s roar, and the crowd going wild!

- Latino Review

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=67194

Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA 3D To Be Released On The Same Day As NINJA TURTLES

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures have slated their take on the classic Godzilla franchise to kick off the Summer moviegoing season on May 16, 2014. The joint announcement was made today by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, and Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures, and by Legendary Pictures.

Toho Co., Ltd.’s Godzilla franchise contains one of the most widely recognized movie monsters worldwide, including more than 25 films, multiple television programs, video games and book series. Legendary, which has been developing the project, and its partner Warner Bros. will return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner. The project will fall under Legendary’s overall agreement with Warner Bros.

The film is directed by Gareth Edwards, who earned worldwide acclaim for his feature directorial debut, “Monsters.” Edwards directs from a screenplay by David Callaham (“The Expendables” films), David S. Goyer (the “Dark Knight” trilogy) and Max Borenstein (upcoming “The Seventh Son”). Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce, along with Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher will serve as executive producers alongside Doug Davison, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, the film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. The tent pole film is expected to be presented in 3D.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:17 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=70070

Seamus McGarvey: GODZILLA Begins Shooting In March; May Return For THE AVENGERS 2

Earlier today, we reported that Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes will begin production in March 2013 for its May 2014 release. Now, we have news on another summer 2014 blockbuster filming in that month: Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures' Godzilla. Speaking with Collider, cinematographer Seamus McGarvey reveals when the Gareth Edwards-directed reboot will be shooting. "We start in March. March ‘til June, I think." Legendary showcased a teaser trailer for the film at San Diego Comic-Con last summer to a very positive response. McGarvey also says that they haven't decided which visual approach to go with yet, but he will be testing next week. "We still haven’t chosen the direction we’re going visually. I’m sort of testing next week, in fact, for that stuff." Godzilla is scheduled to hit theaters May 16th, 2014 in 3D.

McGarvey most recently did cinematography on Marvel's The Avengers. When asked about whether or not he will return for the announced sequel, he says "I can’t really say that, but yes he [writer/director Joss Whedon] has asked me." So it sounds like McGarvey will return for cinematography duties for The Avengers 2 assuming that his schedule allows it. This is certainly great news, as The Avengers' cinematography was rather amazing. The Avengers 2 is set to hit theaters May 1st, 2015. Stay tuned to CBM for more news on both Godzilla and The Avengers.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/monstroushotzone/news/?a=71067

Legendary Picture's GODZILLA Begins Casting! Starting with Aaron Shang!

The nuclear titan is finally showing signs of radioactivity from the depths, with the scripting finished and the production date rolling up very soon, casting is now called into play.

Joining the cast of Legendary Picture's Godzilla is Aaron Shang! Assigned to be a character known as Carl Takahashi within the movie.

A bit of a background detail upon the actor himself:

Date of Birth
5 August 1996, USA

Beginning in the early 2000's, Aaron has appeared in numerous Chinese, American, and British film and TV productions; he is also a descendant of China's most prominent family in entertainment and media. Though best known for his co-starring role in the award-winning Chinese historical drama show "Three Kingdoms", Shang has also appeared in numerous international feature films as supporting or minor characters, while also contributing to several productions as a musician.

Aaron is the youngest descendant of the prominent Shang family in Chinese media, and is the only member of his generation yet to publicly announce a career in entertainment.

Avid supporter of international humanitarian efforts. In 2010, Aaron traveled to Southeast Asia with his family to establish education for children in several rural villages.

Films and Shows:
Three Kingdoms as Sima Yan
Good Luck Charlie as Willy Zhang
Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame as shaizi
Entourage as Willie Lee
Gary Unmarried
Curse of the Golden Flower

Nominations:
Best Supporting Actor for Three Kingdoms in 2010 along side Hao Chen
Award: Hundred Flowers Award

While he's been seen within these medias, it appears that finding any pictures of the actor are surprisingly slim. Then again since he hasn't publicly announced himself and his career, then its probably intentional for whatever reason the actor has decide it upon.

With him being cast into GODZILLA(2014), and given his roles being mostly of Supporting Characters from his past workings. Its best to conclude that Aaron Shang will not be the top lead character, or among the top leading characters until stated or announced otherwise by Legendary Picture's themselves. While we may not know his role, he'll most likely be assigned a supporting character role within the film to help flesh out the main character(s). (Whoever he or she, or they may be).

Well that's all for now, the beast is still moving through the watery void, and radiation levels are steadily building. As 2012 comes to close, continue to keep a look out for this monstrous movie. We might get a few more interesting details before the reign of 2013 begins.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=72260

Henry Cavill, Scoot McNairy And More Wanted For Lead Role In GODZILLA Remake

In The Hollywood Reporter's report on the news that Frank Darabont is penning another draft of Godzilla for Legendary Pictures and director Gareth Edwards, they have learned that several well-known actors are being sought for a lead role in the remake. They only mention The Dark Knight Rises and Looper star Joseph Gordon-Levitt (although the writer of the articles says on Twitter that the offer was made last year and is no longer valid), but Variety's Justin Kroll has confirmed that Henry Cavill (Man of Steel), Scoot McNairy (Argo) and Caleb Landry Jones (X-Men: First Class are all on the list. Levitt and Cavill are the studios choices, while McNairy and Caleb are "creative choices" (not a huge surprise considering the fact that the former worked with Edwards on Monster). No formal offers have been made at this point as the script is still being worked on. Levitt is also reportedly being courted for Guardians of the Galaxy and is rumoured for an appearance as 'John Blake' in Justice League, so it should come as no surprise that he seemingly turned this one down.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=72225

Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA May Start Filming As Soon As March; Reboot Loses Two Producers

According to HitFix, Legendary Pictures' upcoming reboot of Godzilla has lost two of its producers; Dan Lin (It, Justice League, Sherlock Holmes) and Roy Lee (Death Note, Oldboy, Poltergeist). As you can see from their credits, they're both working on various other remakes and reboots, but no specific reason for their departure has been revealed by the site at this time. However, they do mention that director Gareth Edwards recently impressed studio execs with a more detailed pitch about his vision for the film. They were in fact so taken with what they were shown that Godzilla reportedly now has a March 2013 start date. Despite concerns over similarities with Pacific Rim, the site has heard that, "Edwards is trying to ground his take on "Godzilla" in a very recognizable present-day."

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=72241

GODZILLA To Get A Rewrite From Frank Darabont; Trouble Brewing With WB Producers

It now seems likely that production of Legendary Pictures' Godzilla reboot will begin in March, and according to Deadline, Frank Darbont has been hired by to do a final rewrite on the script that was originally penned by The Seventh Son scribe Max Borenstein. The site also report that Legendary are at war with Dan Lin and Roy Lee, the WB producers that came aboard the project with a rights deal and were dropped - apparently because of a fee dispute. Will this have any effect on production? Who knows, but Deadline reckon thsi will end up in court one way or the other, and as it stands, the movie will be produced by Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni, along with Brian Rogers. The film will be directed by Monsters helmer Gareth Edwards, and has been dated for May 16, 2014 release.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 09:53:44 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/monstroushotzone/news/?a=74016

GODZILLA Production Casting Boys For Starring Roles

Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, in association with Disruption Entertainment are in pre-production on the huge big-budget epic feature film "Godzilla", and shooting is scheduled to begin on March 14, 2013 in Vancouver, British Columbia. The film's casting directors in Los Angeles and Canada are holding auditions for several starring roles. These roles are for boys ages 3 - 11 years of age. The youngest is a Caucasian boy to play a 4 year old, the middle one is a Japanese boy to play 6 years of age, and the oldest is another Caucasian boy to play 10 years old. The actors do not have to be these exact ages, but can be a year older or younger. The extras will be cast in Vancouver close to the start of filming, which will run through June 22, 2013.

Starring in "Godzilla" is BAFTA Awards Rising Star Award nominee Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who is an English actor who began performing at six years of age. Taylor-Johnson recently starred in "Anna Karenina" opposite Keira Knightley. That film has been nominated for four Academy Awards. BAFTA Awards EE Rising Star Award nominee Elizabeth Olsen is in talks to also star in "Godzilla". Olsen is an exceptionally beautiful and talented actress who recently completed filming on "Oldboy" starring opposite Samuel L. Jackson and Josh Brolin. Also in talks is four-time Golden Globe Award nominee Bryan Cranston, who just finished working on "Eye of Winter".

http://www.acting-auditions.org/2013/02/warner-bros-pictures-epic-monster-film.html

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=74082

Elizabeth Olsen Confirms Role In GODZILLA And Promises "A Different Take"

It was recently revealed that both Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Olsen were in talks to join Aaron Johnson in Legendary Pictures' Godzilla remake. Well, talking at tonight's BAFTA awards, the young actress (who has received praise for roles in the likes of Liberal Arts and Martha Marcy May Marlene) confirmed that she will soon begin work on the Gareth Edwards helmed project. "I'm about to film Godzilla in the Spring so that's the next thing I'm working on!" When asked about making the transition from dramas to a big budget blockbuster, Olsen jokingly added: "Well, Godzilla is actually going to be a very heavy drama! It's definitely going to be a very different take on the past Godzilla's..." Godzilla is currently set for release on May 16th, 2014 in 3D.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/monstroushotzone/news/?a=75554

Photos: Aaron Taylor-Johnson And Bryan Cranston Arriving In Vancouver For GODZILLA

Legendary Picture's GODZILLA finally enters production this week, with
many sources pointing that it begins March 14th. Which as you all know
is this Thursday.

But on to the main point of this article. etalk CTV upon their twitter
page have posted up photos of Aaron Taylor Johnson and Bryan Cranston
arriving in Vancouver for the filming of GODZILLA. Officially confirming
them as cast members for the film along side Elizabeth Olsen.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=82933

Aaron Taylor-Johnson Talks Working On GODZILLA, Says Little Green Screen Was Used

In the latest issue of Total Film, actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson discusses filming the upcoming Godzilla reboot from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. He says that working with its crew is more like an independent film than what he's done before. "The Godzilla crew is such a small group of people that it feels more like an independent movie than anything I've ever worked on." He also goes on to reveal that he has done little work with green screen on the monster epic, stating that director Gareth Edwards has filmed "everything" on location, and will add the CGI afterwards. "I've hardly done any green screen stuff for it, he's [Edwards] really clever at doing the special effects. We'll shoot everything raw on location, on the streets, and he's going to put it all around us." Finally, Taylor-Johnson comments on his training for his role as a soldier. "There's an etiquette for guys in the military, so there was training for that, how to hold guns and how to run and to talk to other officers. I love all that."

Godzilla was recently confirmed to make an appearance at San Diego Comic-Con later next week, as a part of WB/Legendary's panel. With that in mind, hopefully we'll get a trailer soon. Taylor-Johnson will soon be seen in Kick-Ass 2, which hits theaters August 16th. He is also reportedly at the top of Marvel's shortlist to play Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver in The Avengers 2, which arrives May 1st, 2015.

Godzilla stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston. The film is set to hit theaters May 16th, 2014 in 3D.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »