Author Topic: Trump: the implosion continues  (Read 47210 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Trump: the implosion continues
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
I was hoping "all the polls are actually wrong" from 2012 wouldn't be the defense in 2016.

If trump is running for president, things couldn't be going worse.
If trump is running for media empire and his own army of loyal diehard viewers, then things are going spectacularly. 
Well at least you gave him a thourough answer to his question. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »

what did they have brexit at??

I saw an old article that showed it at a dead heat.

Not sure how accurate this is.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »
Two Women Say Donald Trump Touched Them Inappropriately
By MEGAN TWOHEY and MICHAEL BARBARO

Donald J. Trump was emphatic in the second presidential debate: Yes, he had boasted about kissing women without permission and grabbing their genitals. But he had never actually done those things, he said.

“No,” he declared under questioning on Sunday evening, “I have not.”

At that moment, sitting at home in Manhattan, Jessica Leeds, 74, felt he was lying to her face. “I wanted to punch the screen,” she said in an interview in her apartment.

More than three decades ago, when she was a traveling businesswoman at a paper company, Ms. Leeds said, she sat beside Mr. Trump in the first-class cabin of a flight to New York. They had never met before.

About 45 minutes after takeoff, she recalled, Mr. Trump lifted the armrest and began to touch her.

According to Ms. Leeds, Mr. Trump grabbed her breasts and tried to put his hand up her skirt.

“He was like an octopus,” she said. “His hands were everywhere.”

She fled to the back of the plane. “It was an assault,” she said.

Ms. Leeds has told the story to at least four people close to her, who also spoke with The New York Times.

Mr. Trump’s claim that his crude words had never turned into actions was similarly infuriating to a woman watching on Sunday night in Ohio: Rachel Crooks.

Ms. Crooks was a 22-year-old receptionist at Bayrock Group, a real estate investment and development company in Trump Tower in Manhattan, when she encountered Mr. Trump outside an elevator in the building one morning in 2005.

Aware that her company did business with Mr. Trump, she turned and introduced herself. They shook hands, but Mr. Trump would not let go, she said. Instead, he began kissing her cheeks. Then, she said, he “kissed me directly on the mouth.”

It didn’t feel like an accident, she said. It felt like a violation.

“It was so inappropriate,” Ms. Crooks recalled in an interview. “I was so upset that he thought I was so insignificant that he could do that.”

Shaken, Ms. Crooks returned to her desk and immediately called her sister, Brianne Webb, in the small town in Ohio where they grew up, and told her what had happened.

“She was very worked up about it,” said Ms. Webb, who recalled pressing her sister for details. “Being from a town of 1,600 people, being naďve, I was like ‘Are you sure he didn’t just miss trying to kiss you on the cheek?’ She said, ‘No, he kissed me on the mouth.’ I was like, ‘That is not normal.’”

In the days since Mr. Trump’s campaign was jolted by a 2005 recording that caught him bragging about pushing himself on women, he has insisted, as have his aides, that it was simply macho bluster. “It’s just words,” he has said repeatedly.

And his hope for salvaging his candidacy rests heavily on whether voters believe that claim.

They should not, say Ms. Leeds and Ms. Crooks, whose stories have never been made public before. And their accounts echo those of other women who have previously come forward, like Temple Taggart, a former Miss Utah, who said that Mr. Trump kissed her on the mouth more than once when she was a 21-year-old pageant contestant.

In a phone interview on Tuesday night, a highly agitated Mr. Trump denied every one of the women’s claims.

“None of this ever took place,” said Mr. Trump, who began shouting at the Times reporter who was questioning him. He said that The Times was making up the allegations to hurt him and that he would sue the news organization if it reported them.

“You are a disgusting human being,” he told the reporter as she questioned him about the women’s claims.

Asked whether he had ever done any of the kissing or groping that he had described on the recording, Mr. Trump was once again insistent: “I don’t do it. I don’t do it. It was locker room talk.”

But for the women who shared their stories with The Times, the recording was more than that: As upsetting as it was, it offered them a kind of affirmation, they said.

That was the case for Ms. Taggart. Mr. Trump’s description of how he kisses beautiful women without invitation described precisely what he did to her, she said.

“I just start kissing them,” Mr. Trump said on the tape. “It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.”

Ms. Crooks and Ms. Leeds never reported their accounts to the authorities, but they both shared what happened to them with friends and family. Ms. Crooks did so immediately afterward; Ms. Leeds described the events to those close to her more recently, as Mr. Trump became more visible politically and ran for president.

Ms. Leeds was 38 at the time and living in Connecticut. She had been seated in coach. But a flight attendant invited her to take an empty seat in first class, she said. That seat was beside Mr. Trump, who did not yet own a fleet of private aircraft, records show. He introduced himself and shook her hand. They exchanged pleasantries, and Mr. Trump asked her if she was married. She was divorced, and told him so.

Later, after their dinner trays were cleared, she said, Mr. Trump raised the armrest, moved toward her and began to grope her. Ms. Leeds said she recoiled. She quickly left the first-class cabin and returned to coach, she said.

“I was angry and shook up,” she recalled, as she sat on a couch in her New York City apartment on Tuesday.

She did not complain to the airline staff at the time, Ms. Leeds said, because such unwanted advances from men occurred throughout her time in business in the 1970s and early 1980s. “We accepted it for years,” she said of the conduct. “We were taught it was our fault.”

She recalled bumping into Mr. Trump at a charity event in New York about two years later, and said he seemed to recall her, insulting her with a crude remark.

She had largely put the encounter on the plane out of her mind until last year, when Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign became more serious. Since then, she has told a widening circle of people, including her son, a nephew and two friends, all of whom were contacted by The Times.

They said they were sickened by what they heard. “It made me shake,” said Linda Ross, a neighbor and friend who spoke with Ms. Leeds about the interaction about six months ago. Like several of Ms. Leeds’s friends, Ms. Ross encouraged her to tell her story to the news media. Ms. Leeds had resisted until Sunday’s debate, which she watched with Ms. Ross.

When Mr. Trump denied having ever sexually assaulted women, in response to a question from Anderson Cooper of CNN, Ms. Ross said she immediately looked at Ms. Leeds in disbelief. “Now we know he lied straight up,” Ms. Ross recalled saying.

In the days after the debate, Ms. Leeds recounted her experience in an email to The Times and a series of interviews.

“His behavior is deep seated in his character,” Ms. Leeds wrote in the message.

“To those who would vote for him,” she added, “I would wish for them to reflect on this.”

For Ms. Crooks, the encounter with Mr. Trump was further complicated by the fact that she worked in his building and risked running into him again.

A few hours after Mr. Trump kissed her, Ms. Crooks returned to her apartment in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn and broke down to her boyfriend at the time, Clint Hackenburg.

“I asked, ‘How was your day?’” Mr. Hackenburg recalled. “She paused for a second, and then started hysterically crying.”

After Ms. Crooks described her experience with Mr. Trump, she and Mr. Hackenburg discussed what to do.

“I think that what was more upsetting than him kissing her was that she felt like she couldn’t do anything to him because of his position,” he said. “She was 22. She was a secretary. It was her first job out of college. I remember her saying, ‘I can’t do anything to this guy, because he’s Donald Trump.’”

Days later, Ms. Crooks said, Mr. Trump, who had recently married Melania, came into the Bayrock office and requested her phone number. When she asked why he needed it, Mr. Trump told her he intended to pass it along to his modeling agency. Ms. Crooks was skeptical, but relented because of Mr. Trump’s influence over her company. She never heard from the modeling agency.

During the rest of her year working at Bayrock, she made a point of ducking out of sight every time Mr. Trump came into view. When Bayrock employees were invited to the Trump Organization Christmas party, she declined, wanting to avoid any other encounters with him.

But the episode stuck with her even after she returned to Ohio, where she now works for a university. When she read a Times article in May about the Republican nominee’s treatment of women, she was struck by Ms. Taggart’s recollection of being kissed on the mouth by Mr. Trump.

“I was upset that it had happened to other people, but also took some comfort in knowing I wasn’t the only one he had done it to,” said Ms. Crooks, who reached out to The Times to share her story.

Both Ms. Leeds and Ms. Crooks say they support Hillary Clinton’s campaign for president, and Ms. Crooks has made contributions of less than $200 to President Obama and Mrs. Clinton.

Ms. Crooks was initially reluctant to go public with her story, but felt compelled to talk about her experience.

“People should know,” she said of Mr. Trump, “this behavior is pervasive and it is real.”

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »
So one of the alleged incidents is claimed to have happened in 1980... Did this woman (and the others) report the assault to authorities? Were there other witnesses? Not that Trump would be above doing these things but the timing is suspect and it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Trump: if he ignores these allegations, he is presumed guilty. If he denies them, he is still presumed guilty. If he sues these women he will be criticized for trying to silence his alleged victims.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2016, 07:15:16 PM »
It doesn't matter. At this point, because of Wikileaks, the media has been exposed as illegitimate. Between consulting Hillary before publishing editorials about her, to feeding her debate questions beforehand, the Liberal is to believed as much as the Pravda in the old Soviet Union.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2016, 07:19:18 PM »

Yes, I'm sure you think progressive liberals actually care about BLM, LGBT, Poor neighborhoods, etc ::)

One thing you've made clear is that you don't care about (marginalized) folks.

Your comment brings to mind that politicians and their machines are all about getting elected. It matters not whether we're talking about republicans or democrats...they are almost without exception pandering and slimy people who will do or say anything to get themselves elected.

You may believe that there is a choice which will actually radically change all that is screwed up about our government, but you are wrong.  You can vote for Trump or vote for Clinton, either choice will end up a being a huge disappointment. "Camelot" came and went. It is unlikely we will see the likes of it anytime soon....mainly because we are not as gullible and naďve as we once were.

Regardless of the above, you must vote (weigh in) on this election. To do otherwise, only further diminishes democracy, which weakens the little remaining power of the masses.

Let's face it, most of the populace in the U.S. will still be fucked! Sorry for the sad observation.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2016, 03:30:39 AM »
One thing you've made clear is that you don't care about (marginalized) folks.

Your comment brings to mind that politicians and their machines are all about getting elected. It matters not whether we're talking about republicans or democrats...they are almost without exception pandering and slimy people who will do or say anything to get themselves elected.

You may believe that there is a choice which will actually radically change all that is screwed up about our government, but you are wrong.  You can vote for Trump or vote for Clinton, either choice will end up a being a huge disappointment. "Camelot" came and went. It is unlikely we will see the likes of it anytime soon....mainly because we are not as gullible and naďve as we once were.

Regardless of the above, you must vote (weigh in) on this election. To do otherwise, only further diminishes democracy, which weakens the little remaining power of the masses.

Let's face it, most of the populace in the U.S. will still be fucked! Sorry for the sad observation.

Some! You are ALL fucked if Hillary gets into power.

Her dream is open boarders FFS! Millions of people from the 3rd world will pour into your country. Look at were these people come from...WHEN YOU BRING THE 3RD WORLD TO THE 1ST WORLD, YOU DON'T GET THE 1ST WORLD - YOU GET THE 3RD WORLD...Americans are right on the edge of losing it all, your freedom, EVERYTHING.

Right now the US is one election away from becoming a banana republic.

Trump maybe a bitter pill for some, but He's your ONLY choice, so suck it up! Because Hillary is a suicide pill for your civilization as you know it.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2016, 03:39:16 AM »

Her dream is open boarders FFS! Millions of people from the 3rd world will pour into your country. Look at were these people come from...WHEN YOU BRING THE 3RD WORLD TO THE 1ST WORLD, YOU DON'T GET THE 1ST WORLD - YOU GET THE 3RD WORLD...Americans are right on the edge of losing it all, your freedom, EVERYTHING.

Trump maybe a bitter pill for some, but He's your ONLY choice, so suck it up! Because Hillary is a suicide pill for your civilization as you know it.

amen
a

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2016, 04:50:58 AM »
So one of the alleged incidents is claimed to have happened in 1980... Did this woman (and the others) report the assault to authorities? Were there other witnesses? Not that Trump would be above doing these things but the timing is suspect and it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Trump: if he ignores these allegations, he is presumed guilty. If he denies them, he is still presumed guilty. If he sues these women he will be criticized for trying to silence his alleged victims.

There is nothing "suspect" about the timing.  In fact, it is perfectly logical.  He has bragged about his ability to prey on women in an audio tape the entire country has heard.  When confronted in public, he walks it back and says it was just "talk" and at the debate he flatly denied ever having done anything like that.  Several women on the receiving end of his behavior heard the denial and decided to come forward.  It is a logical progression of events.  Your inability to connect those dots does not speak well of your ability to read simple fact patterns.   ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »
U-Va. College Republicans rescind support for Trump
By T. Rees Shapiro

The University of Virginia College Republicans have voted to rescind the club’s endorsement of Republican presidential nominee Donald J. Trump following the public release of remarks he made about women in a 2005 video.

The club voted 65 to 54 to drop its support for the candidate after a video published by The Washington Post showed Trump having an extremely lewd conversation about women. The group’s vote to remove its endorsement came after what was initially a contentious decision to support Trump, but the students wrote in a statement that they were compelled to reconsider after seeing Trump’s comments and after numerous high-profile party leaders abandoned his candidacy.

“The only message we wish to convey is that as a club, as the primary Republican organization on Grounds, we do not feel Donald Trump accurately represents the way we view and conduct ourselves,” the group’s executive board wrote in a statement, referring to U-Va.’s campus in Charlottesville.

A number of college Republican groups are reconsidering their stances on Trump. On Sunday, the chairman of the college Republican group at the all-male Hampden-Sydney College in southwest Virginia wrote a statement on Facebook indicating he planned to write in Trump’s running mate Mike Pence for president.

“In light of recent events, it seems to me he has gone from simply being an embarrassment to our party, to a potentially permanent stain on our brand and our country,” Tanner Beck wrote. “His rhetoric has gone from distasteful, to downright scary. His comments on women should infuriate anyone who has a mother or daughter. His temperament and disregard for women and minorities simply makes him unfit to hold the highest office of our land. He does not embody the values of our great nation, and for that reason, I join many others in asking Mr. Trump to step down.”

And the Harvard Republican Club declined to endorse the top GOP nominee for the first time since 1888, releasing a statement on Facebook in August saying it is “ashamed” of Trump and calling him a “threat to the survival” of the United States. Since it was posted Aug. 4, it has gotten 189,000 reactions on Facebook, more than 133,000 shares and nearly 17,000 comments. The Yale College Republicans endorsed Trump in August and told the Yale Daily News this week, after the video surfaced, that the group continues to endorse him.

Joanna Ro, a U-Va. senior studying psychology, became involved in politics in 2012 after working with the Republican ticket that included Mitt Romney and Paul D. Ryan. She said that once she was elected to become chairman of the college Republicans group on campus she got an up close look at how divisive politics can be.

“I guess it’s hard when your club is so split down the middle that with every decision we make we’re trying to represent the club as best we can and make not everyone happy but most of our club members happy,” Ro said. “But that is proving impossible. It’s like no matter what we do someone is criticizing us, and that’s definitely been hard.”

Ro said the decision to revoke the group’s endorsement of Trump has shown the divisiveness of his candidacy.

“It’s definitely been a rough ride,” Ro said. “This election has definitely brought out the worst in a lot of people.”

SaintAnger

• Getbig IV
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »

You scared little pussy.  Are you not armed?  'Nuff said.

SaintAnger

• Getbig IV
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2016, 08:38:10 AM »
If some "3rd world illegal" rolls up on you and commits a heinous act, you have the constitutional right to defend yourself.  What are you worried about, man?

Besides, you are parroting fringe right winger talking points.  Stop listening to that crap.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:21 AM »
Liberty University students protest association with Trump
By T. Rees Shapiro and Sarah Pulliam Bailey

Students at Liberty University have issued a statement against Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump as young conservatives at colleges across the state reconsider support for his campaign.

A statement issued late Wednesday by the group Liberty United Against Trump strongly rebuked the candidate as well as the school’s president, Jerry Falwell Jr., for defending Trump after he made extremely lewd comments about women in a 2005 video. The students wrote that Falwell’s support for Trump had cast a stain on the school’s reputation.

“We are Liberty students who are disappointed with President Falwell’s endorsement and are tired of being associated with one of the worst presidential candidates in American history,” the statement said. “Donald Trump does not represent our values and we want nothing to do with him. … He has made his name by maligning others and bragging about his sins. Not only is Donald Trump a bad candidate for president, he is actively promoting the very things that we as Christians ought to oppose.”

The Liberty University student manifesto against Trump comes as college Republican groups across the country reconsider support for the candidate. On Tuesday the University of Virginia College Republicans announced that the group voted to rescind its endorsement of his candidacy for president. The chairman of the College Republicans at Hampden-Sydney College, Tanner Beck, posted a statement on Facebook noting that Trump “has gone from simply being an embarrassment to our party, to a potentially permanent stain on our brand and our country.”

Liberty was founded in Lynchburg, Va., by evangelical pastor Jerry Falwell Sr., whose sermons gave rise to a prominent conservative political movement, the Moral Majority. The small college Falwell created in 1971 has become an epicenter of evangelical Christian education in America and one of the largest universities by enrollment in the country.

The campus has also become a regular stop for politicians on the campaign trail. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) began his run for the presidency at Liberty. Trump gave a convocation address in front of the student body in January. A week afterward, Falwell Jr., endorsed Trump. In the months since, Falwell has vigorously defended his decision to support the Republican candidate.

“Jesus said ‘Judge not, lest ye be judged.'” Falwell wrote in an essay for The Post. “Let’s stop trying to choose the political leaders who we believe are the most godly because, in reality, only God knows people’s hearts. You and I don’t, and we are all sinners.”

The students at Liberty University wrote that they felt compelled to speak out in light of Falwell’s steadfast support for Trump even after the candidate’s comments about women and sexual assault.

“Because our president has led the world to believe that Liberty University supports Donald Trump, we students must take it upon ourselves to make clear that Donald Trump is absolutely opposed to what we believe, and does not have our support,” the Liberty students wrote. “We are not proclaiming our opposition to Donald Trump out of bitterness, but out of a desire to regain the integrity of our school.”

Falwell wrote a statement criticizing the student effort against Trump.

“I am proud of these few students for speaking their minds but I’m afraid the statement is incoherent and false,” Falwell wrote. “I am not ‘touring the country’ or associating Liberty University with any candidate. I am only fulfilling my obligation as a citizen to ‘render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s’ by expressing my personal opinion about who I believe is best suited to lead our nation in a time of crisis. This student statement seems to ignore the teachings of Jesus not to judge others but they are young and still learning.”

Dustin Wahl, a junior at Liberty, told The Post that he wrote the Liberty United Against Trump statement and said that more than 250 students, alumni and faculty have left signatures of support. Wahl said that some students have been frustrated with Falwell for a while and that the publication of Trump’s remarks from the 2005 video became a tipping point.

“Since the most recent sexual assault thing, we realized this is a time we can all get behind this and say ‘enough is enough.’ We do not support our president in his endorsement of Trump and we want the world to know because he’s giving Liberty University a bad name,” Wahl said. “It makes it seem like we’re about populist politics when we’re about the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is about gaining the integrity of our school. This is an effort to say Liberty is not Trump university.”

During the Republican primary, Trump won only about 8 percent of the vote in Liberty’s voting precinct, while Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) won 44 percent and Cruz won 33 percent.

Wahl said that he attended the convocation on campus Wednesday which included an appearance by Trump’s running mate Indiana Gov. Mike Pence. Wahl said that very few students clapped when Pence spoke of Trump.

“It was pretty pitiful, Wahl said. “People associate our degree with the worst presidential candidate in modern history.”

Other college Republican groups in Virginia have had to carefully examine Trump’s candidacy.

Rachel Moss, a junior who is a member of the JMU college Republicans who also serves as communication director for the College Republican Federation of Virginia, said that “some students support Trump, some support Clinton, and others have recently withdrew support of Trump in light of the leaked audio tape.”

Moss said that instead the College Republican Federation of Virginia is encouraging college students to focus on congressional races “in order to engage as many students in the campaigning process as possible, since multiple chapters have publicly not endorsed Trump. We wanted to be respectful towards those chapters and members who do not support Trump, as well those who do by encouraging members to campaign for their congressmen.”

At Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va., the college Republicans did not officially endorse Trump because the group “exists for the betterment of the Republican Party as a whole, not select Republican candidates,” said Caroline Bones, chair of the club.

Bones noted that “like the larger Republican Party, there is room for disagreements within our membership. We fully recognize that not every Republican supports Mr. Trump. We are not going to cast out those members of the organization. The goals of of our club and the Republican Party as a whole extend far beyond the 2016 presidential race.”

At Virginia Tech, the college Republicans did not formally endorse Trump but wrote in a statement to The Post that as a “partisan, Republican organization, our organization does support the Republican nominee for President.”

Elsewhere in the state, support for Trump on campus is unwavering.

John Rackoski, vice president of communication for the Virginia Commonwealth University college Republicans chapter, said that the group recently voted once again to “unanimously and emphatically” endorse Trump.

Rackoski said that “we are obviously disgusted by the nature” of what Trump said in the tape but that it “is no worse than the language we hear used in public on campus on a daily basis, from both men and women” and that “a firestorm has erupted over Trump’s dirty jokes told in private to other men over 11 years ago, which hurt no one.”

Rackoski said that elected Republicans who disavowed Trump after the lewd comments “were never behind him to begin with, and are engaging in the same political opportunism in disavowing him now that they did by endorsing Trump when his popularity was rising- it is all for show, calculated to help themselves politically, with no regard for the importance of this presidential election to the future direction of our country.”

The students at Liberty University ended their statement by noting that “while everyone is a sinner and everyone can be forgiven, a man who constantly and proudly speaks evil does not deserve our support for the nation’s highest office.”

The statement concluded: “We want the world to know how many students oppose him. We don’t want to champion Donald Trump; we want only to be champions for Christ.”

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
If some "3rd world illegal" rolls up on you and commits a heinous act, you have the constitutional right to defend yourself.  What are you worried about, man?

Besides, you are parroting fringe right winger talking points.  Stop listening to that crap.

My sister is American so I all I worry about is her. Plus the USA is a great country as it is.

Me, I'm currently "living the dream" in a 3rd world shit hole South Africa right now...all I'm saying is you do not want your country to go down the toilet like it has here...and you're kidding yourself if you think it can't happen there.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »

You get it.

James

« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »

THIS!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »
How Donald Trump’s and his campaign’s own words are coming back to bite them
By Aaron Blake

Four days ago, Donald Trump's campaign manager Kellyanne Conway implored supporters to retweet her if they agreed that victims of sexual assault should be believed.

She was making a point about Hillary Clinton — using Clinton's own tweet from months ago and suggesting Clinton was being hypocritical by not supporting Bill Clinton's accusers. But Conway clearly seemed to come down on the side of believing accusers. She even highlighted Clinton's use of the word “every” in a tweet: "Every survivor of sexual assault deserves to be heard, believed, and supported."

Today, Conway and the Trump campaign are faced with arguing that not every sexual assault accuser should be believed — specifically, the growing number of Trump's accusers. They were hit with new allegations on Wednesday night, including from two women who spoke on the record to the New York Times, one who spoke to the Palm Beach Post and a first-person account by a writer for People magazine.

And the Conway tweet wasn't the only thing the Trump campaign has said that makes its defense harder today.

In its response to the New York Times story — more details on all the accusations are here — the campaign stressed how old the alleged encounters were. One of them was more than three decades ago on an airplane, while the other was in 2003.

“To reach back decades in an attempt to smear Mr. Trump trivializes sexual assault, and it sets a new low for where the media is willing to go in its efforts to determine this election,” Trump spokesman Jason Miller said.

Top Trump backer Newt Gingrich suggested much the same on Thursday morning:

Newt Gingrich: "The New York Times goes back over 30 years to find somebody who had a bad airplane flight..."

Except ... the Trump campaign has in recent days begun pushing hard on the idea that other decades-old allegations — against Bill Clinton — are very salient to this campaign. And at Sunday's debate, Trump played up Hillary Clinton's defense of an accused child rapist in 1975 and her comments about it in the 1980s.

Finally — and perhaps most damningly, politically speaking — the new allegations sound strikingly similar to the behavior that Trump himself described on that 2005 “Access Hollywood” video that The Washington Post surfaced on Friday and which he now is arguing was just bluster. Some of them also line up with things he said while talking to Howard Stern.

In the “Access Hollywood” video, Trump brags about being able to go up to women and just start kissing them and even groping them.

“I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything,” Trump said on the tape. “Grab ’em by the p---y. You can do anything.”

People magazine writer Natasha Stoynoff, in her piece about Trump allegedly forcing himself upon her in 2005, suggests that's essentially what happened to her:

We walked into that room alone, and Trump shut the door behind us. I turned around, and within seconds he was pushing me against the wall and forcing his tongue down my throat.

Rachel Crooks told the Times a similar story:

They shook hands, but Mr. Trump would not let go, she said. Instead, he began kissing her cheeks. Then, she said, he “kissed me directly on the mouth.”

It didn’t feel like an accident, she said. It felt like a violation.

“It was so inappropriate,” Ms. Crooks recalled in an interview. “I was so upset that he thought I was so insignificant that he could do that.”

And Jessica Leeds, who told the Times about her alleged airplane encounter with Trump, describes a sudden and surprising assault:

About 45 minutes after takeoff, she recalled, Mr. Trump lifted the armrest and began to touch her.

According to Ms. Leeds, Mr. Trump grabbed her breasts and tried to put his hand up her skirt.

“He was like an octopus,” she said. “His hands were everywhere.”

One of the other allegations this week comes from Tasha Dixon, a former Miss Arizona, who has said in multiple interviews that Trump strolled into the contestant's dressing area even when they were naked — a claim echoed to BuzzFeed by contestants in the Miss Teen USA competition, where competitors are younger than 18 years old.

Trump's own comments on Stern's show, as reported by CNN over the weekend, show him copping to that very same type of behavior at his beauty pageants.

“I’ll go backstage before a show, and everyone’s getting dressed and ready and everything else,” he said, per CNN. “And you know, no men are anywhere. And I’m allowed to go in because I’m the owner of the pageant. And therefore I’m inspecting it. ‘Is everyone okay?’ You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. And you see these incredible-looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that.”

Trump has played off his lewd comments as “locker room talk” and claimed he hadn't actually engaged in the kinds of behaviors he talked about on the “Access Hollywood” tape, but the allegations made by these women sound a whole lot like what he was describing.

And when you combine that with how the campaign has pressed its case on allegations made against the Clintons — both by saying accusers should be believed and that decades-old misdeeds matter — it becomes much harder to set up a convincing political defense.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
Trump called himself a sexual predator.   Kinda creepy, especially after he was in there with naked 15 year old girls.  Sick.

WATCH: When Howard Stern Joked About Trump Being a Sexual Predator in 2006, He Said ‘It’s True’

Source: Mediaite

Today, Donald Trump gave a speech in West Palm Beach and in it, he insisted that allegations that he has groped and sexually assaulted women are baseless and untrue.

In a 2006 interview with Howard Stern, as his daughter Ivanka Trump, sat next to him, he laughed when he was called a “sexual predator.”

“It’s true,” he said.

-snip-

On that same show, he once gave Stern permission to refer to Ivanka as “a piece of ass.”

Read more: http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-when-howard-stern-accused-trump-of-being-a-sexual-predator-in-2006-he-said-its-true/

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2016, 06:19:21 PM »
Surrogates explaining away Trump’s sexual behavior only seem to make things worse
By Katie Zezima

Waves of aides and surrogates have fanned out in recent days to defend Donald Trump after the release of a video in which he brags about forcing himself on women and subsequent allegations that he groped or kissed multiple women without their consent.

But in trying to justify or dismiss the reports, many of Trump’s defenders only seem to be making the situation worse.

Trump’s top supporters, many of them middle-aged or older men, have tried to explain away Trump’s behavior in terms that range from puzzling to offensive — angering people in both parties and complicating the Republican nominee’s attempts to move past the controversies.

Trump and his surrogates have brushed off his crude remarks about sexual assault on the 2005 videotape as “locker room” banter, infuriating many who say it is not how most men actually speak to one another. Some, including former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, have described Trump’s comments on the video as typical male behavior in general.

Others are also attempting to discredit the women accusing Trump of assault.

“The New York Times goes back over 30 years to find somebody who had a bad airplane flight,” said former House speaker Newt Gingrich, referring to a woman who alleges that Trump grabbed her breasts and tried to put his hand up her skirt on a flight around 1980 when she was 38.

And some of Trump’s male supporters seem more than willing to lecture women on how they should put up with sexist talk.

“Ladies out there, this is what guys talk about when you’re not around. So if you're offended by it, grow up. Okay?” actor Scott Baio said on Fox News.

Baio added: “And by the way, this is what you guys talk about over white wine when you have your brunches. So take it easy with your phony outrage.”

On the tape, which was released by The Washington Post on Friday, Trump tells “Access Hollywood” host Billy Bush he could grab women “by the p---y” because he is a “star” and bragged about trying to have sex with a married woman. Campaigning Tuesday in Colorado, Trump’s son Eric said conversations like that are “what happens when alpha personalities are in the same presence.” Eric Trump also said his father’s behavior wasn’t right and does not reflect his true personality.

Trump’s campaign did not respond to multiple requests for comment about its surrogates.

Some Trump defenders, including Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), have said that Trump’s comments on the video do not describe assault.

“I don’t characterize that as sexual assault. I think that’s a stretch,” Sessions, a former Alabama attorney general, told the Weekly Standard.

Republican National Committee spokesman Sean Spicer, when asked if Trump’s declaration described sexual assault, said: “I don’t know, I’m not a lawyer.”

On Tuesday, Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Tex.) suggested he might still support Trump if the Republican nominee said he liked raping women; he quickly apologized.

Jerry Falwell Jr., a lawyer and chancellor of Liberty University, said he would still vote for Trump even if the allegations against him are true. He and others instead went after the New York Times, calling it biased against Trump. Liberty students are now protesting their school’s association with Trump.

The candidate’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., said on WBT radio Thursday that he believes most Americans brushed off his father’s comments on the tape because they have said similar things.

“I’ve had conversations like that with plenty of people where people use language off color. They’re talking two guys among themselves ,” Trump Jr. said. “I think it makes him a human. I think it makes him a normal person, not a political robot.”

These varied attempts at defending Donald Trump have angered some Republicans, particularly many women.

“Jeff Sessions says that he wouldn’t ‘characterize’ Trump’s unauthorized groping of women as ‘assault.’ Are you kidding me?!” tweeted Wisconsin conservative activist Marybeth Glenn in declaring that she was leaving the Republican Party. “I’m sooo done. If you can’t stand up for women & unendorse this piece of human garbage, you deserve every charge of sexism thrown at you.”

In an impassioned speech at a Thursday rally for Clinton, first lady Michelle Obama said she has been shaken by Trump’s comments.

“This was not just a lewd conversation,” she said. “It was not just locker room banter. This was a powerful individual talking freely and openly about sexually predatory behavior.”

One theme that has emerged from Trump’s surrogates over and over again is the contention that men routinely talk in boorish terms about women — and shock that many others do not agree. Giuliani and CNN host Jake Tapper, for example, got into a heated exchange this week when Tapper said he had been in many locker rooms and a fraternity, but had never heard a man talk like Trump on the tape.

Retired neurosurgeon and Trump backer Ben Carson said this week that when he was growing up, men were constantly boasting about their sexual exploits.

“I’m surprised you haven’t heard that, I really am,” Carson said to host Brianna Keilar.

“I haven’t heard it, and I know a lot of people who have not heard it,” Keilar said to Carson.

“Well maybe that’s the problem. Maybe that’s the problem,” Carson said.

The real problem, according to Republican strategist Katie Packer, is that Trump’s supporters do not grasp the reality that millions of women have been sexually assaulted or harassed and that it should not be taken lightly.

“I just think that these guys don’t get it, so they should quit talking about it,” Packer said. “For women in our party and decent men in our party, it’s an affront.”

Some of Trump’s female supporters have also taken up the cause of defending his behavior. Former New York lieutenant governor Betsy McCaughey tried to compare Trump’s comments on the “Access Hollywood” video to lyrics sung by Beyoncé, an artist Hillary Clinton admires.

On CNN earlier this week, Trump surrogate Scottie Nell Hughes said Trump’s remarks were appropriate in a culture where the erotic novel “Fifty Shades of Grey” sold millions of copies and the movie “Magic Mike” about male strippers was successful. Republican strategist Ana Navarro, who opposes Trump, scoffed at the comparison.

“To compare running for president to an erotic film or an erotic movie, an erotic novel, it’s crazy,” Navarro responded. “If he wants to be held to that standard, great. Then go write ‘The Art of the Groping.’”

Others have taken umbrage at the idea that men in locker rooms talk about grabbing women without their consent.

“Just for reference. I work in a locker room (every day). . . That is not locker room talk. Just so you know,” tweeted Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Chris Conley.

Trump’s top evangelical supporters have stood by him during the tape fallout. They include Falwell, Faith and Freedom Coalition Chairman Ralph Reed and Family Research Council President Tony Perkins, who said his support of Trump has never been based on shared values.

Their defense of Trump has caused some Christian women to denounce both the Republican nominee and his evangelical supporters.

“Try to absorb how acceptable the disesteem and objectifying of women has been when some Christian leaders don’t think it’s that big a deal,” tweeted Beth Moore, an evangelist who said that she was one of many women who had been “sexually abused, misused, stared down, heckled, talked naughty to. Like we liked it. We didn’t. We’re tired of it.”

Katelyn Beaty, editor at large of Christianity Today, said it signals a divide between the leaders of evangelicalism and those in the pews, and a failure to take the experience of women in the pews into account. Many evangelical Christians have been leery of Trump, a thrice-married, brash-talking New Yorker.

Now, with fallout from the tape plunging the Republican Party into an unprecedented crisis, Packer said she does not understand why certain people are being allowed to defend it publicly.

“I don’t know where they get these surrogates from,” Packer said. “They have better people than this.”

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:15 AM »
‘They’re Lies’: Melania Trump Rejects Women’s Claims That Husband Groped Them
By MAGGIE HABERMAN and ASHLEY PARKER

Melania Trump, who has been all but invisible as her husband confronts a campaign crisis over allegations that he sexually assaulted women, emerged on Monday to forcefully defend him and question the honesty of the women making the accusations.

Ms. Trump, in an extensive interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, said the women who had accused Donald J. Trump of groping and kissing them were lying, and likened her husband to a teenage boy who engages in macho boasting.

She echoed her husband’s complaint that he was the victim of a broad conspiracy between the news media and the Clinton campaign.

“I believe my husband, I believe my husband — it was all organized from the opposition,” Ms. Trump said. “They can never check the background of these women. They don’t have any facts.”

Her appearance comes as Mr. Trump and his aides grapple with the worst stretch of the campaign so far, after the airing 10 days ago of an “Access Hollywood” recording from 2005 that captured Mr. Trump bragging to the host Billy Bush that he kisses women without invitation and that he can grab women’s genitals because he is a “star.”

Ms. Trump, 46, called the exchange between Mr. Trump and Mr. Bush “boy talk,” and said Mr. Trump had been “egged on” by the host “to say dirty and bad stuff.”

But she stressed that she believed that Mr. Trump was simply being boastful and did not engage in the behavior he described.

“Sometimes I say I have two boys at home: I have my young son, and I have my husband,” she said with a slight laugh. “But I know how some men talk, and that’s how I saw it, yes.”

Mr. Trump’s aides have been eager for his wife to make a public show of support for him, especially after the “Access Hollywood” recording dominated several media cycles and drove some Republican elected officials to abandon his candidacy.

A week ago, Mr. Trump’s adult children, along with aides to his campaign, urged Ms. Trump to agree to a sit-down interview with her husband, an echo of the “60 Minutes” interview that Bill and Hillary Clinton did in 1992 after sexual infidelity allegations arose against Mr. Clinton. That appearance helped stabilize Mr. Clinton’s presidential campaign.

But Ms. Trump had little interest in it, and the idea died.

Ms. Trump has never enjoyed the political stage, and was stung by media coverage in July, when it was revealed that her anticipated Republican National Convention speech borrowed lines from Michelle Obama’s 2008 address to the Democratic National Convention. She has been absent from the campaign trail since, save for brief appearances at the first two general election debates, and has been spending time with the couple’s young son, Barron.

She put out a written statement of support for her husband after the tape surfaced. But with Mr. Trump’s favorability among women perilously low, his advisers wanted Ms. Trump to do more.

Seated in the family’s penthouse atop Trump Tower, Ms. Trump seemed occasionally ill at ease but determined to convey several points: that her husband is a gentleman, that the media is out to get him and that she is staying strong despite the ugliness. She showed an ability to remain on message that her husband sometimes lacks.

“I watched TV hour after hour bashing him,” Ms. Trump said of the television coverage the weekend the 11-year-old recording was first revealed.

She said her husband was defending himself against the accusations because “they’re lies.”

She also said her husband was approached by many women who were sexually forward with him.

“I see many, many women coming to him and giving the phone numbers and, you know, want to work for him or inappropriate stuff from women,” she said. “And they know he’s married.”

Ms. Trump steadily answered most of Mr. Cooper’s polite but probing questions, though she suggested that some information she would keep private, including the details of the conversation the couple had after the tape came out.

She also taped an interview for “Fox and Friends” that will appear Tuesday morning.

Mr. Trump has vehemently denied the claims of his accusers, calling them elements of a conspiracy led partly by news media outlets, particularly CNN and The New York Times. Yet despite Mr. Trump’s criticism of CNN and its reporting, and even as some of his supporters at a rally on Monday used an anti-CNN chant, Ms. Trump still selected Mr. Cooper to interview her.

Asked on Fox whether it was fair for her husband to bring up Mr. Clinton’s past, Ms. Trump said, “Well, if they bring up my past, why not?” She was alluding to a television ad run during the Republican Party’s nominating fight that featured a nude photo spread from Ms. Trump’s days as a model.

Speaking to Mr. Cooper, Ms. Trump repeatedly denounced what she saw as the meanness and inaccuracy of media accounts about her, and she said she would like to work to protect children from the toxic dangers of negativity and anger on social media.

She has withdrawn from her own social media accounts, Ms. Trump said, rarely posting during the campaign. “I see the negativity, and it’s not healthy,” she said.

But when asked whether she has advised the same to her husband, a frequent Twitter user who often attacks others on his feed, she replied, “That’s his decision. He’s an adult.”

“I give him many advices, but sometimes he listens, sometimes he doesn’t, and he will do what he wants to do at the end, and I will do what I want to do,” she said.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2016, 04:16:15 AM »
Trump has a strong start in the debate — and then a killer mistake
By Dan Balz

LAS VEGAS — When the final presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump started, it seemed as if it might be the best of the three and certainly Trump’s best. By the end, it was the story of Trump in Campaign 2016 in microcosm, a series of angry exchanges, interruptions, insults that served to undercut the good he might have accomplished earlier.

In the opening minutes on Wednesday night, Trump seemed a different candidate from the Trump of the first two debates and the unshackled Trump on the campaign trail. He was more subdued, more focused on policy and substance, effective in making the case for himself and against his opponent. He appeared to have disciplined his worst instincts.

But that was only for a time. Then he became the campaign trail Trump, irritable when criticized, unwilling to accept the assessment of the intelligence community about Russian interference in the election, denying the accusations of nine women who said he had groped or kissed them against their will, and repeatedly lashing out at his rival.

Finally, it was the Trump who in the past few days has railed against a rigged election system. Asked directly by moderator Chris Wallace of Fox News whether, if he lost, he would accept the outcome of the election as legitimate, he hedged. He would decide at the time, he would “keep you in suspense.” It was, as Wallace suggested, an unprecedented departure in the history of the country. It was also a major mistake. Yet Trump seemed not to care at all.

In that sense, this final debate was what everyone expected, a repetition of what has come before. The likelihood is that it will do little to alter the trajectory of the campaign and that leaves Trump in a perilous position.

Clinton came to the last debate leading in the polls and looking to expand the electoral map. Yet the 90-minute forum was no cakewalk for her. She not only took fire from Trump, she took tough questions from Wallace on issues that had been treated lightly in the first two debates.

In some ways, when the focus was on the issues, whether abortion or immigration or taxes and spending, the debate might have been judged as the most even of the three. Certainly partisans on each side no doubt saw a decisive performance by their candidate.

It was remarkable how the two could carry on serious debate about some issues — what to do in the Middle East, the state of the Affordable Care Act — and then be so personal in their attacks almost with the next breath, as when Trump, near the end, uttered “such a nasty woman” as Clinton was talking about Obamacare.

Clinton could afford to play mostly to her constituency, given the state of the race. Trump needed to do more than make those in his coalition who most dislike Clinton cheer his attacks. But as he has repeatedly in the campaign, Trump managed to undermine his best moments with his worst, likely leaving him short of his goal — if it was his goal — to bring new voters to his side.

Through the course of the debates, Clinton has expanded her lead over Trump. Her margin in national polls has increased from about three points just before the first debate to an average of about seven points at the time the candidates took the stage Wednesday night on the campus of the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. The same has happened to her advantage in the electoral college, to the point that Trump has no easy or obvious path to the 270 votes needed to win the election, short of a dramatic turnaround.

Polls and projections on the eve of Wednesday’s debate consistently estimated Clinton with enough states in her column to put her well over 270. Equally concerning for Trump is the fact that the remaining competitive states, in addition to predictable swing states that have consistently been battlegrounds in recent elections, include a handful of traditional Republican strongholds.

Arizona appears the most attractive target for Clinton among those red states. The Clinton campaign will send first lady Michelle Obama to Arizona on Thursday in an effort to take that state away from Trump. Georgia also appears competitive, though perhaps harder than Arizona for the Democrats.

Then there are Texas and Utah. Texas will be exceedingly difficult for Clinton to win, but three recent polls surprisingly put Trump’s margin in low single digits there. And then there is Utah, where Trump’s bombast has turned off voters and independent Evan McMullin’s candidacy scrambles the state of play.

Jim Messina, Obama’s 2012 campaign manager, made a telling observation during a panel discussion here on Tuesday night, pointing out the degree to which this campaign threatens to shatter the GOP’s southern block of states and create an almost solid blue line up and down the East Coast.

Messina noted that almost the entire Eastern Seaboard, from Maine to Florida, could end up in her column on Nov. 8, particularly if Clinton were able to widen her current lead. South Carolina is the one exception, still presumably for Trump. Other Southern coastal states — Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida — are either in play or already tilting strongly toward the former secretary of state.

That’s not to say all this will come to pass, only that at this point that Trump has managed to squander — through self-inflicted wounds — whatever assets he seemed to have before his latest descent began. He has run an undisciplined campaign, replete with wild charges, the promotion of conspiracy theories and fights with members of his own party. He did so again Wednesday night.

His travel schedule suggests either that there is no electoral map strategy inside his campaign or that Trump has overridden the advice of his advisers. He was in Colorado on Tuesday, rather than Arizona. He was recently in Wisconsin, which looks out of reach at this point. He will be in Ohio and Florida and North Carolina over the next few days, but also plans a stop in Virginia, despite no objective evidence that he has much chance there.

The debates have brought to a close an important chapter in the campaign. Trump and Clinton will continue to take aim at one another on the campaign trail, but the window for persuading voters is closing quickly. With voting now underway in a series of states and with more states to begin soon, the focus will increasingly shift to the more granular competition of turning out every vote.

Here too, Trump’s campaign is at a huge disadvantage, dependent either on the candidate’s ability to rouse organically a silent army of voters who have stayed on the sidelines in recent elections and will materialize at the polls this year or, more realistically, on relying on efforts by the Republican National Committee to function as his get-out-the-vote operation.

All of that may be immaterial to Trump. He will chart whatever course he chooses during the final 19 days, as he has done since he first announced his candidacy, as he did again in the final debate. But this election remains Clinton’s to lose and Trump hasn’t found a way to change that equation.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »
Trump’s inner circle knows he has lost
By Jennifer Rubin

Hillary Clinton is going to win comfortably. The suspense on election night will be over which red states fall into Clinton’s lap and whether the GOP loses its Senate majority. Pundits, elected officials, activists, pollsters, the media and donors know it. The voters, by increasingly enormous margins, say Donald Trump is going to lose. (In this week’s CBS poll, 63 percent think Clinton will win.)

Even some of the people closest to Trump know the handwriting is on the world. Donald Trump Jr. (whose own obnoxious tweets, jokes and comments suggest he doesn’t have a political future, either) is already making excuses. Running for president, the Trump scion proclaimed, is a “step down” for his father. You do wonder why he is running, then. (Given all we now know about his business acumen, the lawsuits, the income in certain discrete years, his perch isn’t all that high.) In any event, it’s just a glaring rationalization, a pathetic attempt to tell everyone that even if Trump loses he wins.

Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway has virtually checked out. She even went so far as to retweet The Post’s Bob Costa’s suggestion that “Bad hombres = Trump being Trump, Trump’s other answers = Conway-esque.” Usually, but not always, campaign staffers wait until after Election Day to throw their candidate under the bus and try to distance themselves from the wreckage. (A big exception was staffers on Sen. John McCain’s team, who started trashing Sarah Palin before Election Day in 2008.)

One of Trump’s most loyal flunkies, retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, could not even muster up the energy to defend Trump’s refusal to concede the election. Reports Slate’s Jeremy Stahl:

How to spin the possibility of Donald Trump refusing to accept the outcome of the election? “Who are you?” demanded Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, Trump’s military adviser who had once been considered a possible running mate. We were in the spin room after Wednesday’s presidential debate, and I’d asked if he thought Trump should say he would abide by the results of the vote. “Who are you?” he asked again. When I told him, he continued to walk away without answering the question.

Flynn later insisted that Trump would accept the results, directly contradicting Trump.

And you know it’s bad when even Bill O’Reilly (“You just can’t play to your base, because your base isn’t big enough to win. So that’s the mistake he made and I don’t know if he can recover from that.” ) and Sean Hannity (who tried to spin up reports about a House mutiny against Speaker Paul Ryan, I guess to cheer himself up) evince lack of hope.

Even during the debate Wednesday, Trump himself seemed resigned, sarcastically wishing Clinton “lots of luck” with Syria, although he still cannot imagine a concession speech. Even his latest denial about allegedly groping women sounds half-hearted: “Discredited political operative Gloria Allred, in another coordinated, publicity seeking attack with the Clinton campaign, will stop at nothing to smear Mr. Trump. Give me a break. Voters are tired of these circus-like antics and reject these fictional stories and the clear efforts to benefit Hillary Clinton.” The statement didn’t actually include a straight-up denial.

Down-ticket Republicans might be looking on with horror. The turnout! He’ll demoralize the base! The negative ads tying us to Trump! They should have thought of that months ago and dumped him. If they go down with the ship, it’s their own darn fault.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Donald Trump is in a funk: Bitter, hoarse and pondering, ‘If I lose. . .’
By Jenna Johnson

FLETCHER, N.C. — As he took the stage here in this mountain town Friday afternoon, Donald Trump was as subdued as the modest crowd that turned out to see him. He complained about the usual things — the dishonest media, his “corrupt” rival Hillary Clinton — but his voice was hoarse and his heart didn’t seem in it.

He also promised to do all that he could to win, but he explained why he might lose.

“What a waste of time if we don’t pull this off,” Trump said. “You know, these guys have said: ‘It doesn’t matter if you win or lose. There’s never been a movement like this in the history of this country.’ I say, it matters to me if we win or lose. So I’ll have over $100 million of my own money in this campaign.”

“So, if I lose,” Trump continued as the crowd remained unusually quiet, “if I lose, I will consider this —”

Trump didn’t finish his sentence, but he didn’t really need to. After weeks of controversy and declining poll numbers, Trump and his campaign have settled into a dark funk. Even as he vows to prevail in the race, the GOP nominee’s mood has soured with less than three weeks to go until Election Day.

His final debate performance this week was a bust, with him snarling that Clinton was “such a nasty woman” and gritting his teeth as he angrily ripped pages off a notepad when it was over. He is under fire from all quarters for refusing to say he will honor the election results if he loses, while 10 women have now come forward accusing him of groping or kissing them without consent. The capper to Trump’s bad stretch came Thursday night, when a ballroom full of New York City’s glitterati booed him as he gave remarks attacking Clinton at a charity roast.

The gloomy mood has extended to his signature rallies, which Trump used to find fun. During the primaries, he would bound onto rally stages bursting with energy and a sense of excitement that intensified as the crowds chanted his name and cheered his every word. He would regularly schedule news conferences, call into news shows and chat with reporters, eager to spar with them. He would say politically incorrect things and then watch his polling numbers soar. He used to be the winner.

But no more. In recent days, Trump has tried to explain away his slide in the polls as a conspiracy carried out by the media, Democrats and Republicans. If he loses, it will be because he was cheated, Trump has repeatedly told his supporters, urging them to go to polling places in neighborhoods other than their own and “watch.”

Trump’s supporters have concocted elaborate explanations for why he might lose, often involving massive voter fraud conducted by Democrats who will bus undocumented immigrants and people posing as people who have died to battleground states to vote illegally. There are also fears that election results in some states will be tampered with, and Trump’s backers have cheered his promise to challenge the election results if he doesn’t win.

“Since we can’t check to see if you voted in three states, you will. If you want to vote in three states, you will,” said Larry Lewis, 67, a former electrician who lives in Hendersonville, N.C.. He said he doesn't know anyone who has committed voter fraud but has gotten up to speed on the issue thanks to talk radio. “I mean, that is human nature. I have ultimate faith in human nature.”

Campaigning Friday in Cleveland, Clinton again criticized Trump for refusing to say he will honor the election results and joked about her time onstage debating him. “I have now spent 41/2 hours onstage with Donald, proving once again I have the stamina to be president,” she said.

After the debate Wednesday night, Trump flew to Ohio for a Thursday rally. He abruptly walked out of two local television interviews before taking the stage in front of a smaller-than-usual crowd. After it was over, he was back at the Columbus airport, slowly plodding up the steps to his personal jet. He was alone, holding a black umbrella as a light rain fell.

Hours later, Trump sat with his wife at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner to participate in the long-standing tradition of political candidates roasting each other. The dinner’s chairman, Alfred E. Smith IV, set the tone for the evening as he lashed Trump in a series of cutting jokes.

Trump went first, and his opening lines landed with such heavy bitterness that it prompted scattered, uncomfortable laughter.

“A special hello to all of you in this room who have known and loved me for many, many years. It’s true,” Trump said as he took command of the lavish dais, wearing a white tie and a black jacket that he kept tugging at.

“The politicians,” he continued. “They’ve had me to their homes, they’ve introduced me to their children. I’ve become their best friends in many instances. They’ve asked for my endorsement, and they always wanted my money, and even called me really a dear, dear friend, but then suddenly decided when I ran for president as a Republican, that I’ve always been a no-good, rotten, disgusting scoundrel. And they totally forgot about me.”

Over the next 15 minutes, Trump joked about the size of his hands and the size of his rival’s rally crowds, then compared himself to Jesus. He said the debate the night before had been called “the most vicious debate in the history of politics,” prompting him to reflect, “Are we supposed to be proud of that?”

He joked about prosecuting Clinton if he gets elected president, accused the media of working for her and brought up the FBI’s investigation into Clinton’s use of a private email server while secretary of state.

“Hillary is so corrupt, she got kicked off the Watergate Commission,” Trump said, citing a false Internet rumor as the crowd turned on him and started to boo, something that simply doesn’t happen at lavish charity dinners at the Waldorf Astoria hotel. The face of one the guests sitting on the stage behind him was struck with horror.

“Hillary believes that it’s vital to deceive the people by having one public policy and a totally different policy in private,” Trump said, as the booing intensified. Trump would go on to accuse Clinton of “pretending not to hate Catholics” and mock the Clinton Foundation’s work in Haiti.

At one point, he wondered aloud whether the crowd was booing him or Clinton, to which someone in the crowd answered: “You!”

As Clinton took her turn, Trump sat at a table decorated with pale roses and white orchids with his arms tightly folded.

“Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a four, maybe a five if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair,” Clinton said, as the crowd laughed and former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani mouthed, “What?”

Trump, his arms folded, cocked his head to the side and smirked as his wife looked elegantly pained.

A few minutes later, Clinton poked Trump for his praise of Russian President Vladi­mir Putin: “Maybe you saw Donald dismantle his prompter the other day, and I get that. They’re hard to keep up with, and I’m sure it’s even harder when you’re translating from the original Russian.”

Trump smiled and rocked in his seat, his face turning slightly red.

Clinton recognized former New York mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, saying it was a shame he didn’t speak, because “I’m curious to hear what a billionaire has to say,” referring to disputes about Trump’s actual net worth.

And she gave a shout-out to Trump’s campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, saying: “She’s working day and night for Donald, and because she’s a contractor, he’s probably not even going to pay her.” Conway, who has become subtly critical of her boss, quoted Clinton in a tweet and wrote, “A shout out from @HillaryClinton at #AlSmithDinner.”

As Clinton finished speaking, she received a standing ovation from many in the crowd. Trump clapped, then briefly stood, then sat down again, as if unsure what to do. Lip-readers caught him telling her that she did a good job.

As the dinner ended, Trump shook hands with some of the others on the stage, while a line of people wanting to talk with Clinton grew. After a few minutes, Trump and his wife made their way toward the exit.

Before ducking out, Trump flashed the crowd a thumbs up.

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »
Their campaign schedules really are grueling...especially for people of their ages.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: October 22, 2016, 05:49:38 AM »
Their campaign schedules really are grueling...especially for people of their ages.

So true. I dunno how they do it.