Author Topic: Maybe 20%  (Read 1206 times)

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
Maybe 20%
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »
Of the men in my gym train well. Meanwhile about 90% of the women train properly.

A guy around 40 asked me to spot him on his bench press and I said no, he seemed stunned and asked why not.

I explained he was using too much weight and doing less than half reps. Had he accidentally gone a little deeper, the weight would have buried him and I didn't feel like wrenching my back to help. Guy was pissed at me but will never ask again.

Why is it that women can figure it out but men can't?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Maybe 20%
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 09:44:21 PM »
Women put too much focus on cardio and machines. No wonder why their form is much better...

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
Women put too much focus on cardio and machines. No wonder why their form is much better...

Many women in my gym train with free weights.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:23:58 PM »
Of the men in my gym train well. Meanwhile about 90% of the women train properly.

A guy around 40 asked me to spot him on his bench press and I said no, he seemed stunned and asked why not.

I explained he was using too much weight and doing less than half reps. Had he accidentally gone a little deeper, the weight would have buried him and I didn't feel like wrenching my back to help. Guy was pissed at me but will never ask again.

Why is it that women can figure it out but men can't?

Half reps on bench not going all the way down?  What is this guy Mr. Triceps?

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 10:33:04 PM »
Half reps on bench not going all the way down?  What is this guy Mr. Triceps?

No lie, most guys in my gym don't touch their chest when doing bench.

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »
No lie, most guys in my gym don't touch their chest when doing bench.

You don't need to touch your chest to develop your chest.  What is your point?

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 10:47:46 PM »
You don't need to touch your chest to develop your chest.  What is your point?

You surely need more than a 6 inch range of motion...that's my point.

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 11:00:01 PM »
You surely need more than a 6 inch range of motion...that's my point.

phil hernon advocates the middle 80%.  In other words, don't go down the bottom 10%, don't go up the top 10%.  I suspect that is more than 6 inches, but not by a terrible amount.  Partials have their place. 

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 01:03:35 AM »
I find women tend to go far too light, and could probly bust out another 10 reps if you put some money on the table

Men are guilty of short machine gun reps, but obviously slow,controlled with a squeeze means less weight

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 01:11:31 AM »
Many women in my gym train with free weights.

That's good

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 01:17:10 AM »
Try training in a works gym where most people are just doing their bit and aren't really into it and the percentage of clowns increases to around 99.5%
You would think the olympic barbells had aids the way they are never touched, blokes using the pussy pad to quarter squat 40kg, stinking pakis giant setting every machine in the gym while throwing a highly intimidating kick to the punch bag as he passes.
It's fucking liftin

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 01:55:46 AM »
I would say around 25% of people I see in the gym actually have some kind of structured routine. The others just drift from machine to machine without really knowing what they are doing and what their goals are.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 02:20:06 AM »
uh...

not my experience at all

if anything it seems like the reverse

Try training in a works gym where most people are just doing their bit and aren't really into it and the percentage of clowns increases to around 99.5%
You would think the olympic barbells had aids the way they are never touched, blokes using the pussy pad to quarter squat 40kg, stinking pakis giant setting every machine in the gym while throwing a highly intimidating kick to the punch bag as he passes.
It's fucking liftin

pretty much.  my gym is a little weird, because its the typical (huge) commercial gym, but they installed this giant jungle gym looking contraption which essentially serves as 8 squat racks + a ton of pullup bars.  so there's this small sanctuary for serious lifters, and surprisingly it's usually maxed out with fairly fit dudes/chicks.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:02:13 AM »
The others just drift from machine to machine without really knowing what they are doing and what their goals are.

Yeah.
A lot of workout zombies out there.
©