Author Topic: American Naïveté  (Read 780 times)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
American Naïveté
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:03:37 AM »
What's with the American public being fired up into a storm by the obvious outlandish promises by candidates?

I'm not saying the UK is better than the US in this regard, but all I see is sites like Digg etc. buying into the absolutely infeasible nonsense that the candidates are spouting.

Are people really this naïve?

Kinda reminds me of when "New" Labour came into power in Britain... oh what a mess they've directly helped produce! (immigration, EU, healthcare)

The most prominent candidates of this are Obama and Ron Paul (both probably the better of the choices), I constantly read about how they are better than Hillary/McCain because of outlandish promises.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: American Naïveté
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:21:15 AM »
Are people really this naïve?

Yes. So far Obama is going to end global warming, totally revamp the healthcare system, and "do the right things for the economy"

Likewise when McCain or Clinton speak in vague terms, people are displeased.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:47:26 AM »
Ive read that europe is having some of the same problems as the  US.    The economy is slowing and they want the immigrants out.
Housing is going down.......If the US listens to the UN then will have a form of the EU here also, which is only trouble i think.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »
Yes. So far Obama is going to end global warming, totally revamp the healthcare system, and "do the right things for the economy"

Likewise when McCain or Clinton speak in vague terms, people are displeased.

Government solutions ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, involve spending more money.

Think of how many problems you solve in your personal life, and problems that are solved in business without spending more money.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:00:44 PM »
obviously a high degree of rhetoric is involved in a presidential campaign...
the things to consider are more general such as where their priotities are, and what kind of people they are.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
In general......people are stupid.  A lot of folks simply don't care other than what the candidates actually say.  They take these sayings at face value without ever researching on what positions the candidate has voted for in the past and their current stance on said issue.  You cannot tell what a politician will do unless you look at their previous voting record which at least gives you a barometer of what they are all about.

I don't believe that it is beneficial for the vast majority of Americans when US policy is geared towards more war, runaway immigration(legal and illegal), massive energy consumption, no monetary reform policy, and huge bureaucracies that have proven time and time again to be inefficient and ineffective.  No single candidate is going to deliver any of these until the American people wake up and demand these things, and to vote in candidates will do this type of thing.

As far as Europe goes, heh.  At least we have some hope here in the US.  Europe and its attitude depresses the shit outta me.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:50:43 PM »
In general......people are stupid.  A lot of folks simply don't care other than what the candidates actually say.  They take these sayings at face value without ever researching on what positions the candidate has voted for in the past and their current stance on said issue.  You cannot tell what a politician will do unless you look at their previous voting record which at least gives you a barometer of what they are all about.

I don't believe that it is beneficial for the vast majority of Americans when US policy is geared towards more war, runaway immigration(legal and illegal), massive energy consumption, no monetary reform policy, and huge bureaucracies that have proven time and time again to be inefficient and ineffective.  No single candidate is going to deliver any of these until the American people wake up and demand these things, and to vote in candidates will do this type of thing.

As far as Europe goes, heh.  At least we have some hope here in the US.  Europe and its attitude depresses the shit outta me.

Way better lifestyle there though...
I hate the State.