Author Topic: Freddie Gray's death ruled a homicide  (Read 16973 times)

Deacon Jeschin

• Getbig IV
Re: Freddie Gray's death ruled a homicide
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »
Oh, dear.......Another officer is found not guilty of contributing to Freddy Gray's death.  I wonder why the city paid almost 7 million dollars to the family if nobody in their employ is responsible. What a generous city......

I'm sure that everyone will accept the court's fair and just decision, and that no further attacks against authority will occur.  I know my fingers are crossed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
Oh, dear.......Another officer is found not guilty of contributing to Freddy Gray's death.  I wonder why the city paid almost 7 million dollars to the family if nobody in their employ is responsible. What a generous city......

I'm sure that everyone will accept the court's fair and just decision, and that no further attacks against authority will occur.  I know my fingers are crossed.

The prosecutor still has a chance to prove what really happened:

We all know what happened, police beat his ass, broke something, had an "oh shit!' moment and voila, the pressure hit and one of them blabbed on the other - rightfully so!

Maybe the judge just doesn't get it?  lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »
Well you don't say?  Zero convictions.  All remaining charges dropped.  Another fake race scandal put to bed.

All charges dropped in Freddie Gray case; no convictions
Published July 27, 2016 
FoxNews.com

Prosecutors dropped the remaining charges Wednesday against three Baltimore police officers awaiting trial in the death of Freddie Gray, ending the case without any convictions.

Gray was a 25-year-old black man whose neck was broken while he was handcuffed and shackled but left unrestrained in the back of a police van in April 2015. His death added fuel to the growing Black Lives Matter movement, set off massive protests in the city and led to the worst riots the city had seen in decades.

The day started with a pretrial hearing for Officer Garrett Miller -- who had faced assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment charges. But instead of pretrial motions, Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow told the judge that prosecutors were dropping the charges against Miller and the rest of the officers.

The decision by prosecutors comes after a judge had already acquitted three of the six officers charged in the case, including the van driver who the state considered the most responsible and another officer who was the highest-ranking of the group. A mistrial was declared for a fourth officer when a jury deadlocked.

The case led the police department to overhaul its use of force policy, and all officers will soon be equipped with body-worn cameras. The U.S. Justice Department has also launched an investigation into allegations of widespread abuse and unlawful arrests by the department, and the officers have sued State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby, saying she intentionally filed false charges against them.

Gray's family received a $6.4 million settlement from the city.

A defiant Mosby held a news conference shortly after the announcement, saying there was "a reluctance" and "an obvious bias" among some officers investigating the case.

"We do not believe Freddie Gray killed himself," she said, standing in the neighborhood where Gray was arrested, a mural of him on a wall over her shoulder. "We stand by the medical examiner's determination that Freddie Gray's death was a homicide."

She walked up to the podium as people chanted "we're with you" and her remarks were punctuated by shouts of support.

Gray's mother, Gloria Darden, stood by Mosby, saying police "lied, I know they lied, and they killed him."

Attorneys for the officers planned a news conference later Wednesday.

Prosecutors had said Gray was illegally arrested after he ran away from a bike patrol officer and the officers failed to buckle Gray into a seat belt or call a medic when he indicated he wanted to go to a hospital.

Mosby wasted little time in announcing charges after Gray's death -- one day after receiving the police department's investigation while a tense city was still under curfew -- and she did not shy from the spotlight. She posed for magazine photos, sat for TV interviews and even appeared onstage at a Prince concert in Gray's honor.

The city's troubles forced Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, who has taken a prominent role on the podium at the Democratic National Convention, to fire her reform-minded police chief and abandon her re-election campaign.

Many feared that the acquittals could prompt more protests and unrest, but that never panned out and the streets appeared mostly calm Wednesday.

Three of the officers who were charged are white and three are black. The victim, judge, top prosecutor and mayor are African-American. At the time of Gray's death, so was the police chief.

No reputations hinged on the case's outcome as much as Mosby and her husband, Nick Mosby, a councilman for Baltimore's west side who announced his mayoral candidacy shortly after Rawlings-Blake pulled out.

Marilyn Mosby spoke so forcefully when she announced the charges against the officers that defense attorneys argued she should recuse herself for bias. She did not let up Wednesday.

"We've all bore witness to an inherent bias that is a direct result of when police police themselves," she said.

Fox News' Guerin Hays and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/27/all-charges-dropped-in-freddie-gray-case-no-convictions.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
I watched the dueling press conferences by the prosecutor and reps for the police officers.  Or more accurately, the public statement by the prosecutor and press conference by the officer reps.  Absolutely appalling performance by this Marilyn Mosby.  She yelled and shrieked the entire time.  Sounded like a biased activist.  Was difficult to watch.  She should not be the city's top prosecutor.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2016, 08:42:56 AM »
Law Prof. John Banzhaf: Marilyn Mosby May Be Disbarred, Sued Just Like Nifong

AP PhotoAP
by DAN RIEHL
28 Jul 2016
Washington, DC

Public Interest Law Professor John Banzhaf of George Washington University Law School discussed Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby, who recently dropped charges against all officers allegedly involved in Freddie Gray’s death, with Breitbart News Daily SiriusXM host Stephen K. Bannon Thursday. Banzhaf also cited former North Carolina attorney Mike Nifong, who was disbarred and sued after the infamous Duke lacrosse case, as an example of what Mosby may yet be in for, given her conduct during the case.

“Eventually, she’s going to suffer the same kind of fate as Nifong,” said Banzhaf. “She is going to be disbarred, and she’s already being sued. These suits are being strengthened by the fact that she continued to bring [charges], even though she had no case. If not disbarred, at least a very significant sanction,” he added.

Banzhaf stated:

She had a case which, at the very beginning, she couldn’t reasonably believe. Yet there are now three decisions by the judge throwing out each and every one of her legal theories, saying with regard to most of the key facts she has to prove. It wasn’t that there was little evidence. He said, “No evidence. No evidence. No evidence.” Yet she continued to do it. And it was only the pressure of, I think, the threat of disbarment–two complaints against her; one is mine, and the mounting lawsuits which finally forced her to say, “Okay, I’m not going to keep digging this hole any better. I’m going to get out, and I’m now going to claim that I won because all of these victories have occurred.”

He said, “What do you do when you have a runaway prosecutor? You can’t rely upon the press and public pressure. Obviously, it didn’t work in Baltimore.” He went on to say:

She probably has increased her political stature as a result of what she’s done. … So unless prosecutors face either ethical sanctions and/or lawsuits for doing this, we’re going to continue to have runaway prosecutors, prosecutors who bring cases for political reasons, prosecutors who refuse to turn over what we call exculpatory evidence, which is a constitutional violation that happens all too often. And unless there’s some kind of check and balance, you’re going to continue to see it.

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2016/07/28/law-prof-john-banzhaf-marilyn-mosby-may-be-disbarred-sued-just-like-nifong/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Great another chick on welfare.   ;)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
Law Prof. John Banzhaf: Marilyn Mosby May Be Disbarred, Sued Just Like Nifong

AP PhotoAP
by DAN RIEHL
28 Jul 2016
Washington, DC

Public Interest Law Professor John Banzhaf of George Washington University Law School discussed Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby, who recently dropped charges against all officers allegedly involved in Freddie Gray’s death, with Breitbart News Daily SiriusXM host Stephen K. Bannon Thursday. Banzhaf also cited former North Carolina attorney Mike Nifong, who was disbarred and sued after the infamous Duke lacrosse case, as an example of what Mosby may yet be in for, given her conduct during the case.

“Eventually, she’s going to suffer the same kind of fate as Nifong,” said Banzhaf. “She is going to be disbarred, and she’s already being sued. These suits are being strengthened by the fact that she continued to bring [charges], even though she had no case. If not disbarred, at least a very significant sanction,” he added.

Banzhaf stated:

She had a case which, at the very beginning, she couldn’t reasonably believe. Yet there are now three decisions by the judge throwing out each and every one of her legal theories, saying with regard to most of the key facts she has to prove. It wasn’t that there was little evidence. He said, “No evidence. No evidence. No evidence.” Yet she continued to do it. And it was only the pressure of, I think, the threat of disbarment–two complaints against her; one is mine, and the mounting lawsuits which finally forced her to say, “Okay, I’m not going to keep digging this hole any better. I’m going to get out, and I’m now going to claim that I won because all of these victories have occurred.”

He said, “What do you do when you have a runaway prosecutor? You can’t rely upon the press and public pressure. Obviously, it didn’t work in Baltimore.” He went on to say:

She probably has increased her political stature as a result of what she’s done. … So unless prosecutors face either ethical sanctions and/or lawsuits for doing this, we’re going to continue to have runaway prosecutors, prosecutors who bring cases for political reasons, prosecutors who refuse to turn over what we call exculpatory evidence, which is a constitutional violation that happens all too often. And unless there’s some kind of check and balance, you’re going to continue to see it.

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2016/07/28/law-prof-john-banzhaf-marilyn-mosby-may-be-disbarred-sued-just-like-nifong/

I would prefer to see her behind bars after attempting to destroy all those lives.

Disbarment and law suit should be the absolute minimum.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
I would prefer to see her behind bars after attempting to destroy all those lives.

Disbarment and law suit should be the absolute minimum.

No argument from me.  People in her position have too much power over people's lives to allow this kind of abuse of the system.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2016, 03:03:34 PM »
No argument from me.  People in her position have too much power over people's lives to allow this kind of abuse of the system.

She is Obama at the DA poisition in Baltimore

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »
Good.

Most of the Officers Charged by Marilyn Mosby Are Now Suing Her
Cortney O'Brien Cortney O'Brien
Posted: Jul 29, 2016

Baltimore State Attorney General Marilyn Mosby's attempt to lock up the officers involved in the death of Freddie Gray has come up short. In a turn of events, she is now the one facing charges.

Last year, after an independent investigation by her office, Mosby announced she was seeking charges against Officers William Porter, Edward Nero, Garrett Miller, Caesar Goodson, Lt. Brian Rice, and Sgt. Alicia White for the death of Freddie Gray, a young black man who died in their custody in a police transport van.

Following the acquittals of Nero, Goodson and Rice and the mistrial of Porter, Mosby announced last week she was dropping the remaining charges. Yet, she made it clear that justice was not served. In a press conference, she sounded more like a protester than a state attorney as she shouted that Gray was a victim of police brutality.

After all is said and done, the five of the six officers Mosby sought punishment for are returning the favor by filing a lawsuit against her, alleging she is guilty of defamation, false arrest, false imprisonment and more.

The complaint filed by Porter and White stated that Mosby "made statements for purposes of quelling the riots rather than prosecuting police officers who had committed a crime," and that Mosby "exceeded her authority" and "brought charges against police officers that were wholly unsupported by evidence and probable cause."

The officers, attorney Michael Glass claimed, were "humiliated" by Mosby. As such, she now has to play the role of defendant.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2016/07/29/most-of-the-officers-charged-by-marilyn-mosby-are-now-suing-her-n2199938

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2016, 10:11:45 PM »
Unruled, it seems.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
Law professor goes after Maryland prosecutor for Freddie Gray case
By  Perry Chiaramonte 
Published August 01, 2016
FoxNews.com

Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby could face the same fallout from the Freddie Gray case as prosecutor Michael Nifong did after the Duke lacrosse case in 2006. (L- Reuters, R- AP)

A law professor with a history of taking prosecutors to task has set his sights on the Baltimore state’s attorney, who failed in her bid to put six cops in prison in connection with the racially-charged death of Freddie Gray.

George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf has filed complaints against Marilyn Mosby with the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland. He alleges Mosby and two deputies committed ethics violations, used “fraudulent or misleading tactics," withheld evidence from the defense and brought charges without probable cause against the Baltimore police officers involved in the April 12, 2015 arrest of Gray, who died of injuries suffered inside a police van.

“My concern is that this will encourage other prosecutors from other large cities to do the same,” Banzhaf told FoxNews.com. “The line she [Mosby] is giving her supporters is that the case was a success and that she has been victimized in just bringing them up on charges. “I think her supporters, which she depends on to be re-elected, support what she did.”

Mosby announced last week all charges against the police officers would be dropped. The bombshell announcement came after three were found not guilty and another’s case declared a mistrial.

In the complaint, Banzhaf alleges that Mosby violated state rules of professional conduct for attorneys. He also alleged that Mosby violated rules of conduct with public statements about the case.

George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf has filed complaints against Baltimore City's State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby and two deputy state attorneys involved in the well-publicized Freddie Gray case. Banzhaf cites ethics violations, "fraudulent or misleading tactics," not providing evidence to the defense, and "charg[ing] the officers without probable cause" as the reasons for the complaints.

In addition to being a law professor, Banzhaf is an activist and watchdog when it comes to the actions of those who work in the court of law and public service. During his career, he has filed complaints against Geraldine Ferraro, Barney Frank and former Maryland Gov. Spiro Agnew, who went on to be Richard Nixon’s vice president.

He also threatened to file a complaint against former North Carolina prosecutor Mike Nifong, who was disbarred after his conduct in handling the 2006 Duke lacrosse case, in which three members of the school’s men’s lacrosse team were falsely accused of rape. The charges were eventually dropped by Nifong  just days after Banzhaf publicly said that he was considering bring forth a lawsuit against the prosecutor for violating the civil rights of the students. The case sparked a national discussion on due process and led to Nifong’s resignation and subsequent disbarment.

Banzhaf says that he sees similarities between Nifong’s conduct and Mosby’s, and that her career may see the same fate.

“Both of them violated rights of the defendants by not providing exculpatory evidence [to the defense],” he said. “Second, both continued cases long after it was determined who may win.”

The law professor says that in some respects, Mosby’s handling of the Freddie Gray trial may have been the more egregious.

“When Nifong first brought forth the case it was solid, and as time went on, it was not,” he said. “With Mosby, the moment she filed the case, it was known that it couldn’t be brought forward.”

Now that a complaint has been filed, an investigation into the claims will be launched by the state and charges could go forward in 90 days unless it’s determined that the allegations are frivolous. The fallout from the dropped charges in the Freddie Gray case has already sent shockwaves through the State’s Attorney’s office.

Veteran prosecutor Lisa Phelps, who was assigned to try two of the cases against the police officers and had objected to their continued prosecution, resigned from her post on Monday according to the Baltimore Sun.

"Her refusal to continue with a doomed-to-failure criminal case was apparently the straw that forced Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby to finally drop all of the remaining Freddie Gray cop cases," said Banzhaf, "and her reluctance to continue may have been caused by my threat to seek her disbarment if she did."

Mosby did not immediately return calls for comment.

Banzhaf said the State Attorney’s motivations may have been greater than just pursuing justice.

“When Nifong filed his case, it was widely suspected that he brought it forth for political purposes,” he said. “In Mosby’s case she virtually said so.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/01/law-professor-goes-after-maryland-prosecutor-for-freddie-gray-case.html

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
Law professor goes after Maryland prosecutor for Freddie Gray case
By  Perry Chiaramonte  
Published August 01, 2016
FoxNews.com

Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby could face the same fallout from the Freddie Gray case as prosecutor Michael Nifong did after the Duke lacrosse case in 2006. (L- Reuters, R- AP)

A law professor with a history of taking prosecutors to task has set his sights on the Baltimore state’s attorney, who failed in her bid to put six cops in prison in connection with the racially-charged death of Freddie Gray.

George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf has filed complaints against Marilyn Mosby with the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland. He alleges Mosby and two deputies committed ethics violations, used “fraudulent or misleading tactics," withheld evidence from the defense and brought charges without probable cause against the Baltimore police officers involved in the April 12, 2015 arrest of Gray, who died of injuries suffered inside a police van.

“My concern is that this will encourage other prosecutors from other large cities to do the same,” Banzhaf told FoxNews.com. “The line she [Mosby] is giving her supporters is that the case was a success and that she has been victimized in just bringing them up on charges. “I think her supporters, which she depends on to be re-elected, support what she did.”

Mosby announced last week all charges against the police officers would be dropped. The bombshell announcement came after three were found not guilty and another’s case declared a mistrial.

In the complaint, Banzhaf alleges that Mosby violated state rules of professional conduct for attorneys. He also alleged that Mosby violated rules of conduct with public statements about the case.

George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf has filed complaints against Baltimore City's State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby and two deputy state attorneys involved in the well-publicized Freddie Gray case. Banzhaf cites ethics violations, "fraudulent or misleading tactics," not providing evidence to the defense, and "charg[ing] the officers without probable cause" as the reasons for the complaints.

In addition to being a law professor, Banzhaf is an activist and watchdog when it comes to the actions of those who work in the court of law and public service. During his career, he has filed complaints against Geraldine Ferraro, Barney Frank and former Maryland Gov. Spiro Agnew, who went on to be Richard Nixon’s vice president.

He also threatened to file a complaint against former North Carolina prosecutor Mike Nifong, who was disbarred after his conduct in handling the 2006 Duke lacrosse case, in which three members of the school’s men’s lacrosse team were falsely accused of rape. The charges were eventually dropped by Nifong  just days after Banzhaf publicly said that he was considering bring forth a lawsuit against the prosecutor for violating the civil rights of the students. The case sparked a national discussion on due process and led to Nifong’s resignation and subsequent disbarment.

Banzhaf says that he sees similarities between Nifong’s conduct and Mosby’s, and that her career may see the same fate.

“Both of them violated rights of the defendants by not providing exculpatory evidence [to the defense],” he said. “Second, both continued cases long after it was determined who may win.”

The law professor says that in some respects, Mosby’s handling of the Freddie Gray trial may have been the more egregious.

“When Nifong first brought forth the case it was solid, and as time went on, it was not,” he said. “With Mosby, the moment she filed the case, it was known that it couldn’t be brought forward.”

Now that a complaint has been filed, an investigation into the claims will be launched by the state and charges could go forward in 90 days unless it’s determined that the allegations are frivolous. The fallout from the dropped charges in the Freddie Gray case has already sent shockwaves through the State’s Attorney’s office.

Veteran prosecutor Lisa Phelps, who was assigned to try two of the cases against the police officers and had objected to their continued prosecution, resigned from her post on Monday according to the Baltimore Sun.

"Her refusal to continue with a doomed-to-failure criminal case was apparently the straw that forced Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby to finally drop all of the remaining Freddie Gray cop cases," said Banzhaf, "and her reluctance to continue may have been caused by my threat to seek her disbarment if she did."

Mosby did not immediately return calls for comment.

Banzhaf said the State Attorney’s motivations may have been greater than just pursuing justice.

“When Nifong filed his case, it was widely suspected that he brought it forth for political purposes,” he said. “In Mosby’s case she virtually said so.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/01/law-professor-goes-after-maryland-prosecutor-for-freddie-gray-case.html

Cool, hope they prosecute this corrupt bitch.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
Cool, hope they prosecute this corrupt bitch.

Me too.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
Lawyers for Freddie Gray’s Family Accept DOJ Decision to Not Charge Cops
by JON SCHUPPE

Lawyers representing Freddie Gray's family said Wednesday that they have accepted the Justice Department's decision not to charge any officers involved in his fatal ride in a Baltimore police van, but dangled a provocative new accusation: that members of the force "sabotaged" local prosecutors' murder investigation.

The lawyers, William H. Murphy and his son, Hassan Murphy, said they were skeptical when they first heard Tuesday that the Justice Department had concluded it could not prove the officers violated Gray's civil rights.

But the family lawyers said they met with DOJ lawyers and left understanding the case's shortcomings: the government's limited jurisdiction over deaths in police custody, and the relatively high burden of proof required to convict officers in such cases.

"We were surprised given what we know about the case," Hassan Murphy told reporters. "But after hearing what we heard, we are satisfied that this particular group of attorneys at the Department of Justice did what they were supposed to do in conducting this investigation."

Related: Justice Dept. Won’t Charge Six Officers in Freddie Gray Death

He called the decision "a bitter pill for all of us to swallow," and said Gray's weary family ─ who received a $6.4 million settlement from the city in 2015 ─ "will have a chance now to really heal and be with themselves."

But the elder lawyer said that the case may still produce new revelations about Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby's unsuccessful attempt to convict the six officers on charges of murder or manslaughter.

"In the future, hopefully before this next election, you will see the extent to which various members of the police department of Baltimore city deliberately obstructed this investigation," William H. "Billy' Murphy said. "Because of my unique role, I have been legally made privy to documents I believe, once they are able to be released to the public, will show without question that in several significant ways her investigation was sabotaged."

The police department declined to comment.

Gray, 25, died of spinal cord injuries on April 19, 2015, five days after his arrest following a foot chase with police that resulted in a summons for possession of a switchblade knife. He was put in a police van shackled but not restrained by a seat belt, and suffered his fatal injuries sometime during the ride.

Related: Baltimore Agrees to Court-Ordered Police Reforms In Wake of Freddie Gray Death

Gray's death set off public unrest, including rioting and looting that in turn triggered two investigations by the Justice Department: one civil, one criminal. The civil probe found a pattern of unconstitutional stops, searches and arrests of black residents, and the use of unnecessary force against them. The city agreed to make sweeping changes to its police department in order to avoid a federal lawsuit.

The criminal probe focused on six members of the department: Officers Caesar R. Goodson Jr., Garrett E. Miller, Edward M. Nero and William G. Porter; Lt. Brian W. Rice and Sgt. Alicia D. White.

All six escaped murder or manslaughter charges in state courts last year. Three were acquitted at trial and another case ended in a mistrial before Baltimore States Attorney Marilyn Mosby dropped all remaining charges.

Tuesday's decision by the Justice Department effectively ended all criminal cases against the officers. But several of them still face disciplinary charges that could end their careers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/freddie-gray-s-family-lawyers-accept-doj-decision-not-charge-n801116