Author Topic: do you fellas invest in shares? is it a good thing to do?  (Read 23358 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: do you fellas invest in shares? is it a good thing to do?
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »
No.  (Am I the only one left in the whole wide world?)  I reject the 'let your money grow while you sit on your butt' promise of investment in favor of reasoning that says: You get a certain return for time and effort invested in something with a given amount of risk.  I believe I'll get a more efficient return putting time and money into things I know a lot about rather than things about which I know very little.  So I have no 'financial vehicle' investments.

I also reject the often parroted advice to 'talk to a broker or financial adviser' if you don't know about investing.  As if he has no dog in the hunt.  Might as well ask a car salesman if buying a car is good move, or an accountant if doing your own books is a bad idea.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »
No.  (Am I the only one left in the whole wide world?)  I reject the 'let your money grow while you sit on your butt' promise of investment in favor of reasoning that says: You get a certain return for time and effort invested in something with a given amount of risk.  I believe I'll get a more efficient return putting time and money into things I know a lot about rather than things about which I know very little.  So I have no 'financial vehicle' investments.

I also reject the often parroted advice to 'talk to a broker or financial adviser' if you don't know about investing.  As if he has no dog in the hunt.  Might as well ask a car salesman if buying a car is good move, or an accountant if doing your own books is a bad idea.

this
~

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »

Lol so where do you keep your money, under the mattress?

What's the annual ROI on that?  ;D

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »

Agree 100%, I invest in my businesses real property and collectibles.....I'm a contrarian investor with the belief that if you can't hold it you don't own it. I try not to give my money to people who don't know me, don't care about me, and don't understand definition of moral hazard....

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
Lol so where do you keep your money, under the mattress?

What's the annual ROI on that?  ;D

Jokes on you.  I don't have any money.

Anyway, I gotta get down to the pawnbrokers.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
Jokes on you.  I don't have any money.

Anyway, I gotta get down to the pawnbrokers.

Go to my shop......at least a getbigger will profit from your misfortune ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
Buy low, sell high, or something along those lines.

/end contribution.
No doubt about it...

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
:o
$175,000 a share

I have done very well with his B shares.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »
F investing. Spend it as soon as u make it. Otherwise, wife will get it in divorce. Don't think u can hide it either. Between the court, and her team of lawyers and forensic accountants, every dime you've made since high school will be accounted for. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
therefor don't marry fool

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 04:32:16 AM »

My money is on starbucks.. I have $8 shares I'm on holding on for a rainy day..
Target price for starbucks is $92  ;)
it closed at around $80.50 today.. still room to make money

Starbucks will definitely climb.  By no means is it on the front end of it's cycle but $92-95 will happen.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
did ronnie coleman buy shares?

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
No.  (Am I the only one left in the whole wide world?)  I reject the 'let your money grow while you sit on your butt' promise of investment in favor of reasoning that says: You get a certain return for time and effort invested in something with a given amount of risk.  I believe I'll get a more efficient return putting time and money into things I know a lot about rather than things about which I know very little.  So I have no 'financial vehicle' investments.

1) 90% of the private companies out there will take 100% of your money. But do what you want.

2) I have been a licensed advisor / manager for many years. You are far, far better off consulting with one yourself than taking "tips" off internet hacks on a bodybuilding message board.  ;D

Today's advisors most often work off managed money, which means the better you do the better they do. It also means that they generally don't get a commission for every buy and sell, but rather mostly make a flat % on your total amount of assets. Investment advisors these days are also heavily regulated (at least those who don't strictly deal with accredited investors) and have a fiduciary responsibility to do right by their clients.

You can always do your own investing, but again I'd spend many, many hours doing research - not fishing for "tips" from strangers online, most of whom are in no way qualified to give financial advice. Even someone like myself who IS certainly qualified cannot make responsible recommendations without knowing a great deal about someone's unique situation.

As for comparing financial advisors to car salesmen, that makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe you're like many here who don't realize that cars, boats, etc are depreciating assets that DRAIN wealth. Just about anybody can buy a car, and anybody with decent income and a little cash to put down can get into a high end car that drains more and more of their monthly income they should be investing every month. But hey, some peole will be impressed and think they're cool, right?

It takes a little more financial savvy, common sense, and discipline to invest a little each month (on your own or with a pro) and build actual wealth over time. I know plenty of people who make 6 figures or more. Some invest wisely and eventually get very wealthy. Others spend every penny on high living, debt, and depreciating assets and have to work forever. I also know people who never made six figures who lived frugally and invested wisely and were able to retire with a 7 figrue next egg and no debt.

And if you don't think CPAs are actually useful to some people (people with money), you probably aren't the investing type anyway for one reason or another.  ;D
A

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
^^^^^^

so you are saying it's best to get a financial advisor to invest your money?

i dont wanna be broke or in debt by 55 years old

believe it or not some ppl who earn 6 figures manage to be in debt and broke by 55

i personally know only one of them but there must be many

dude tells me i'm crazy for being so stingy, he says he may be in debt but still drinks expensive wine and drives a new BMW

i want to retain as much money from my income as possible and ideally make it increase by investment

i dont want BMW and expensive wine, i want to have a ton of money at one point so i dont need to work untill 70 yreas

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I would definitely consider an advisor at a large, stable firm. Talk to several at several different firms.

Most people who are millionaires and beyond have invested at least some of their $ and will continue to do so. Many who are self-employed may invest mostly in their own businesses for quite a few years, but they eventually do decide to diversify in most cases. And they often decide to sell their businesses sooner or later, and they usually end up with a large nestegg they need to invest for stable income, growth for heirs, estate planning, tax reduction, etc.

And most people who are smart and rich or plan to be rich stick to what they know and hire professionals to do those things they don't know well and don't have the time and specific education and training for. The rich and the smart future rich HIRE accountants, lawyers, financial advisors, etc to do those things those people do well, while the rich / future rich spend their valuable time doing whatever it is they do well that actually makes them money - whether it's performing surgeries, drilling for oil, running their trucking companies or grocery stores or whatever...

And "rich" typically refers to at the very least 7 figure net worth (assets - debt = net worth). Usually more.
A

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »
I would definitely consider an advisor at a large, stable firm. Talk to several at several different firms.

Most people who are millionaires and beyond have invested at least some of their $ and will continue to do so. Many who are self-employed may invest mostly in their own businesses for quite a few years, but they eventually do decide to diversify in most cases. And they often decide to sell their businesses sooner or later, and they usually end up with a large nestegg they need to invest for stable income, growth for heirs, estate planning, tax reduction, etc.

And most people who are smart and rich or plan to be rich stick to what they know and hire professionals to do those things they don't know well and don't have the time and specific education and training for. The rich and the smart future rich HIRE accountants, lawyers, financial advisors, etc to do those things those people do well, while the rich / future rich spend their valuable time doing whatever it is they do well that actually makes them money - whether it's performing surgeries, drilling for oil, running their trucking companies or grocery stores or whatever...

And "rich" typically refers to at the very least 7 figure net worth (assets - debt = net worth). Usually more.

what series license do you hold?

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
what series license do you hold?

Over the years I've earned the 6, 7, 66, Life & Health / variable contracts; and several options, commodities, and supervisory level licenses.

I spent years at a large bank and a large firm in the past. Now I run my own little show and strictly deal with accredited investors these days - FAR fewer headaches and more $ made per client. It's much easier to have 30 clients with an average asset level of $5 mil than it is to have 150 clients with an average asset level of $1 mil - and those under a mil and especially under a quarter mil will take up more of your time and be bigger pains in the asses than those with millions or more, believe it or not. 
A

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
Over the years I've earned the 6, 7, 66, Life & Health / variable contracts; and several options, commodities, and supervisory level licenses.

I spent years at a large bank and a large firm in the past. Now I run my own little show and strictly deal with accredited investors these days - FAR fewer headaches and more $ made per client. It's much easier to have 30 clients with an average asset level of $5 mil than it is to have 150 clients with an average asset level of $1 mil - and those under a mil and especially under a quarter mil will take up more of your time and be bigger pains in the asses than those with millions or more, believe it or not. 

are you a BD?......

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 06:26:39 AM »

1) 90% of the private companies out there will take 100% of your money. But do what you want.

2) I have been a licensed advisor / manager for many years. You are far, far better off consulting with one yourself than taking "tips" off internet hacks on a bodybuilding message board.  ;D

Today's advisors most often work off managed money, which means the better you do the better they do. It also means that they generally don't get a commission for every buy and sell, but rather mostly make a flat % on your total amount of assets. Investment advisors these days are also heavily regulated (at least those who don't strictly deal with accredited investors) and have a fiduciary responsibility to do right by their clients.

You can always do your own investing, but again I'd spend many, many hours doing research - not fishing for "tips" from strangers online, most of whom are in no way qualified to give financial advice. Even someone like myself who IS certainly qualified cannot make responsible recommendations without knowing a great deal about someone's unique situation.

As for comparing financial advisors to car salesmen, that makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe you're like many here who don't realize that cars, boats, etc are depreciating assets that DRAIN wealth. Just about anybody can buy a car, and anybody with decent income and a little cash to put down can get into a high end car that drains more and more of their monthly income they should be investing every month. But hey, some peole will be impressed and think they're cool, right?

It takes a little more financial savvy, common sense, and discipline to invest a little each month (on your own or with a pro) and build actual wealth over time. I know plenty of people who make 6 figures or more. Some invest wisely and eventually get very wealthy. Others spend every penny on high living, debt, and depreciating assets and have to work forever. I also know people who never made six figures who lived frugally and invested wisely and were able to retire with a 7 figrue next egg and no debt.

And if you don't think CPAs are actually useful to some people (people with money), you probably aren't the investing type anyway for one reason or another.  ;D

I just don't see a respectable return coming from common investments.  Also, I'm too crappy a businessman to know how much operating capital I need to retain so I just retain all of it.  I won't touch a bank.  As Big Money Guys go, I'm not a blip, so can't comment.  I'm just doing my thing as a small operator, man.  

An Australian CPA's rate is superduper unjustified given the work required by a guy like me.  I know because I do it.  The quarterlies give you the yearly, so....  There's plently of pirates about and not all of 'em wear an eye patch.  Takes 'un to know 'un.  Yar.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
are you a BD?......

Private investment fund (well under 100 investors, all accredited).
A

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2013, 05:30:38 AM »
http://compliancex.com/so-have-you-heard-this-one-a-knucklehead-broker-walks-into-a-trading-room-and-places-an-order-of-1625000-shares-of-apple-instead-1625-shares/?utm_source=CompliancEX+Newsletter+November+21%2C+2013&utm_campaign=Got+a+Swiss+Bank+Account%3F&utm_medium=email

So, Have You Heard This One; A Knucklehead Broker Walks Into A Trading Room…

Last year David Miller, a securities trader at the boutique (a polite term for small and not well known) brokerage firm, Rochdale Securities, saw an opportunity to make a quick buck.

This was about the time that everyone realized Steve Jobs was really dead and not coming back and people noticed Samsung actually made a smart phone that was just as good as an iPhone.

Apple stock was imploding. Dave Miller however expected a surprise positive earnings report which he thought would give the stock a pop.

He took a supposed client’s order for 1,625 shares to the trading room but purposefully purchased 1,625,000 shares instead (moving the decimal point over three digits gave him the out to say, “Ooops, I made a mistake. Silly me, I put the decimal in the wrong place.”). If your math is not that good, this is a billion dollar trade made at little Rochdale, not Goldman or JP Morgan or some hedge fund.

Miller figured Apple stock would rise, he would use the firm’s capital to back the trade, pay his client the profits on 1,625 shares and keep the rest. Hamptons summer house rental and Porsche payment in the bag!

Well, unfortunately Apple’s earnings disappointed the street and Mr. Miller.

The stock went down and he lost $30 million dollars on the fake trade.

Rochdale Securities didn’t have $30 million. So, the punch line; the firm closed its doors, laid off 40 people and Miller was just sentenced to 30 months in prison.

In case you were wondering what happened to the stock, at the time of the trade Apple was at $601.25, it is now trading at $515.00. He would still be a loser.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
http://compliancex.com/so-have-you-heard-this-one-a-knucklehead-broker-walks-into-a-trading-room-and-places-an-order-of-1625000-shares-of-apple-instead-1625-shares/?utm_source=CompliancEX+Newsletter+November+21%2C+2013&utm_campaign=Got+a+Swiss+Bank+Account%3F&utm_medium=email

So, Have You Heard This One; A Knucklehead Broker Walks Into A Trading Room…

Last year David Miller, a securities trader at the boutique (a polite term for small and not well known) brokerage firm, Rochdale Securities, saw an opportunity to make a quick buck.

This was about the time that everyone realized Steve Jobs was really dead and not coming back and people noticed Samsung actually made a smart phone that was just as good as an iPhone.

Apple stock was imploding. Dave Miller however expected a surprise positive earnings report which he thought would give the stock a pop.

He took a supposed client’s order for 1,625 shares to the trading room but purposefully purchased 1,625,000 shares instead (moving the decimal point over three digits gave him the out to say, “Ooops, I made a mistake. Silly me, I put the decimal in the wrong place.”). If your math is not that good, this is a billion dollar trade made at little Rochdale, not Goldman or JP Morgan or some hedge fund.

Miller figured Apple stock would rise, he would use the firm’s capital to back the trade, pay his client the profits on 1,625 shares and keep the rest. Hamptons summer house rental and Porsche payment in the bag!

Well, unfortunately Apple’s earnings disappointed the street and Mr. Miller.

The stock went down and he lost $30 million dollars on the fake trade.

Rochdale Securities didn’t have $30 million. So, the punch line; the firm closed its doors, laid off 40 people and Miller was just sentenced to 30 months in prison.

In case you were wondering what happened to the stock, at the time of the trade Apple was at $601.25, it is now trading at $515.00. He would still be a loser.

Perfect example of why most should stick to advisors at larger firms. Far less likely to happen there, caught much quicker, and the multi-billion dollar firm will have no choice but to make good on the loss due to the unauthorized trade, fraud / theft, etc.
A

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2013, 06:10:44 AM »
There are no safe investments, except keeping your money on your savings account, and there you're loosing money year after year as the inflation rate is even higher than the interest rate.

We're doomed.

The only safe investment is an investment in YOURSELF!
Be willing to do your homework, and start with something in an area you know about..

And as for keeping your money in your savings account... Good Luck!

Ask bank account holders in Cyprus how well that worked out for them?

The risks are far greater than the hidden stealth tax of inflation. Look at the numbers in the FDICs insurance account vs. the volume of accounts those funds would be required to cover during an inevitable economic reset or systemic failure.. Roughly $33 Billion to cover how many $TRILLIONS in deposits?  :o
Someone will definitely be coming up short!

If you're in the USA, Canada, Australia, or in any of the G8's you might want to consider the bail-in templates already codified into law.

I don't believe in paper derivatives at all. IMO, they're really nothing more than paper.

In this economic environment of rigged markets, government interventionism, HFT, front-running etc., all the basic rules have essentially been thrown out the window. I'd sooner stab myself in the eye with a fork than have to speculate in this market.  The one thing I know for sure is the current system is irretrievably broken. The economy is brain dead, and is existing on artificial life support, and resuscitation is mathematically impossible. Therefore, I prefer to protect & preserve the value of my money, and my labour, by trading the fiat money substitute for real money, as a form of insurance. In my eyes, it's not a matter of IF, but rather a matter of WHEN!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2013, 06:37:38 AM »
"shares" of what?

A person can do well in stocks, if he knows his investments, etc.  Most people buy based on headlines and take it raw without lube and not even getting the goddamn common courtesy of a reach-around.  They deserve what they get for being sheep.

LOL! I'm sorry for laughing, ...but you really have a way with words. It's so true. Just the other day people were all abuzz about the twitter IPO, but Alessio Rastani was telling me it was an absolute joke. He'd crunched the numbers, and Twitter has NEVER, EVER turned a profit.

Most great investments aren't listed in the newspaper or "Money" magazine.  

True. I remember years ago Oprah who had made a killing on Reebok, was asked how she knew to invest in the company. Her response was, when she was visiting a film set. She noticed a member of the film crew wearing these sneakers that she'd never really seen before, then she noticed a few other members were wearing the same kind of sneakers. Upon closer examination, she realized that just about all the members of the crew were wearing Reeboks. Knowing these guys are often required to be on their feet sometimes as long as 12 - 14 hours a day... this made her think ... hmmmm... she decided to buy a pair for herself to see what was so special about them. After wearing them for the first time, she knew she had to invest in the company.

While I don't believe in paper derivatives of any sort these days, as a general rule, I personally can't wait for Dave Lampert to issue an IPO. Following Oprah's lead with Reebok, I might actually be tempted to snap up some equity in his company  :P
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2013, 06:40:18 AM »

LOL! No, you're not the only one.  :)
w

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
I typically have anywhere from 10-25% of my $ in gold (not actual physical gold). I see it as a very good (perhaps even essential) longterm investment.

HOWEVER, it can be VERY volatile. Investors who cannot tolerate pretty wide potential swings in the value of their accounts in the short and mid term should be more cautious. Several of the very best mutual funds invest in gold, and these are generally better ways for the average investor who is not overly aggressive to have exposure, along with ETFs as a small part of a diversified portfolio.

http://etfs.morningstar.com/quote?t=GLD
A