Author Topic: Should HST be totally exhausting and super intense with limited breaks?  (Read 3149 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I just got through an HST 15 rep workout on a no carb diet:

Dumbbell shoulder press x2
Latpulldown x2
Dumbbell press x2
Dumbbell rows x2
Seated Curls x1
Skullcrushers x1
Deadlifts x2
Squats x2 (ass to grass)
Crunches x2 (weighted)

Maximum 45 seconds break between sets...by the time I finished the squats, I was that close to puking and totally wiped out. I wanted it short and intense but is that the way it should be carried out? Maybe it's because I am old now? ???
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Re: Should HST be totally exhausting and super intense with limited breaks?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »
I just got through an HST 15 rep workout on a no carb diet:

Dumbbell shoulder press x2
Latpulldown x2
Dumbbell press x2
Dumbbell rows x2
Seated Curls x1
Skullcrushers x1
Deadlifts x2
Squats x2 (ass to grass)
Crunches x2 (weighted)

Maximum 45 seconds break between sets...by the time I finished the squats, I was that close to puking and totally wiped out. I wanted it short and intense but is that the way it should be carried out? Maybe it's because I am old now? ???

hey man that seems like a pretty good workout....imho every workout should be that intense i know that probably 9 out of 10 i almost puke and every once in a while i do puke...im not on an HST routine but still a lighter routine with short rests and monster reps and super sets...im also on the no carb thing right now for 2 days and i do think that has something to do with it also...but keep up the hard work

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »
hey man that seems like a pretty good workout....imho every workout should be that intense i know that probably 9 out of 10 i almost puke and every once in a while i do puke...im not on an HST routine but still a lighter routine with short rests and monster reps and super sets...im also on the no carb thing right now for 2 days and i do think that has something to do with it also...but keep up the hard work

Yeah...maybe it had something to do with my meal prior to lifting. I am thinking of doing the deadlifts and squats first now....because I hate them so much and they are so exhausting...maybe get them out of the way.
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
Yeah...maybe it had something to do with my meal prior to lifting. I am thinking of doing the deadlifts and squats first now....because I hate them so much and they are so exhausting...maybe get them out of the way.

yea ive always done squats and deads first although they are two different days for me...what was your meal like prior to lifting?  and i was wondering how much you weighed and how much protein you were consuming on a daily average and what you did for cardio?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »
Teh short rest periods are beneficial for hypertrophy, yes.

This phase will also give u better muscular endurance beneficial for your heavier phase because it allows for quicker recovery.

So keep the short rest periods, don't be a pussy.

Jk, but not really.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
Why do deadlifts before squats? I don't understand the logic in that. Why even deadlift every workout? It's really not all that beneficial for bodybuilding purposes, and on a cutting diet u're really only draining your CNS that much more when you're already fucking your recovery by restricting the calories.
follow the arrows

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:54:21 PM »
Why do deadlifts before squats? I don't understand the logic in that. Why even deadlift every workout? It's really not all that beneficial for bodybuilding purposes, and on a cutting diet u're really only draining your CNS that much more when you're already fucking your recovery by restricting the calories.

so your saying no deads at all?  what sense does that really make when especially on a HST program you want so to speak the most bang for your buck with each workout and deads are a great lift for your back as well as others your legs a little your middle and upper back, your forearms i just see them as one the most beneficial moves....i would have agreed with you if you had said that maybe alternate every other workout do deads but not to cut them out completely

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:56:02 PM »
Read my post carefully champ ;D
follow the arrows

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »
Read my post carefully champ ;D

my fault your saying to alternate?  i read it fast and misread it...

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »
Whatever scheme he wants to use (like alternating deads as u suggested), I just think deadlifting EVERY workout is a little much. To each his own I guess, I'm jsut making a suggestion. Trapezkerl doesn't liek muslims so I understand why he wouldn't listen to me  :D
follow the arrows

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:35 AM »
Agree about the deads; they don't have to be done every workout if at all, and why not do them towards the end of the workout after squats if at all? Squats work the lower back BTW.

As far as where to do squats, i think you should decide whether your legs are ahead or behind the development of the rest of the physique. Put them closer to the beginning of the workout if legs are lagging, otherwise keep em for later.

Ya, of course you can end up puking if you eat close to a workout. Just common sense to leave time after eating and if not, to eat light.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 04:30:54 AM »
Whatever scheme he wants to use (like alternating deads as u suggested), I just think deadlifting EVERY workout is a little much. To each his own I guess, I'm jsut making a suggestion. Trapezkerl doesn't liek muslims so I understand why he wouldn't listen to me  :D

Your religious affiliation is irrelevant here, unless there is something the Korean that is pertinent to the topic at hand?

Deadlifts burn mad calories; that's why I do them every workout. My metabolism is incredibly slow and I have a ridiculously hard time shedding body fat so need all the energy burners I can get in terms of exercise. Metabolic boost is all it is. The only reason I plan on employing HST for a while is because I am dieting. I have just started after a hiatus due to medical problems. Lots of heavy, all body compound exercises use lots of calories.
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 05:19:15 AM »
funny HST you do there.

My HST was only 4 exercises and it nearly killed me. 3 times a week, everytime

squats
dips
pull ups
deads

20 reps, clustered after 80%.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:01:21 AM »
Deadlifts burn mad calories; that's why I do them every workout. My metabolism is incredibly slow and I have a ridiculously hard time shedding body fat so need all the energy burners I can get in terms of exercise.

Just keep in mind there are plenty of exercises to burn calories; that's probably not enough reason to do an exercise when there are others.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 06:57:35 AM »
Just keep in mind there are plenty of exercises to burn calories; that's probably not enough reason to do an exercise when there are others.

Suggestions?
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 07:02:22 AM »

Also great for hamstrings...
I hate the State.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 07:19:47 AM »
Suggestions?

If you want to burn more calories do cardio or burpees. If you want to stick with weights, do things like high rep cleans, clean and jerks, squats, weighted step-ups, etc., things that enlist major muscle groups.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:35 AM »
If you want to burn more calories do cardio or burpees. If you want to stick with weights, do things like high rep cleans, clean and jerks, squats, weighted step-ups, etc., things that enlist major muscle groups.

Like deadlifts?

What's wrong with deadlifts?

I strongly suggest the following HST program that i did. It works all muscle groups with multi-joint movements.

Squats
Dips
pull-ups
Deadlifts.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 07:27:20 AM »
Like deadlifts?

What's wrong with deadlifts?

First of all, compounds like squats and rows already work the lower back.

Secondly just playing the odds, lifting alot on deads might be a good ego stroke but is potentially harsh on the lower back, For what it's worth, Vince Basile with more experience than anyone here says same. Just reality; they put tremendous stress on the core that can if injured f*** up workouts for the rest of the body. If the back is injured it can cause problems for years to come.

There's no rule that says they have to be done, based on the above. If they're done keep the reps high, do hypers instead or rely on other exercises that hit the lower back as well as other areas.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 07:36:57 AM »

Secondly just playing the odds, lifting alot on deads might be a good ego stroke but is potentially very hard on the lower back, For what it's worth, Vince Basile with more experience than anyone here says same. Just reality; they put tremendous stress on a key area of the body that can if injured f*** up workouts for the rest of the body. If the back is injured it can cause problems for years to come.

There's no rule that says they have to be done, based on the above. If they're done keep the reps high, do hypers instead or rely on other exercises that hit the lower back as well as other areas.

Good idea; on the 15ers I will drop the weight by 5 kilos.
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:19 AM »

Secondly, they're potentially very hard on the lower back, which is what i think and what Vince Basile with decades of experience thinks as well. Just reality; they put tremendous stress on a key area of the body that can if injured f*** up workouts for the rest of the body.

Seriously, i understand the problem many have with deads, but i have never managed to get my lower back worked like with deadlifts.

I never go too heavy and always have 110% accurate movement. hyper extensions are either too light or hurt the back more than deads in my personal case.

You don't even need higher reps, you can also go a little slower on the movement and flex your back hard, all very carefully.

The problem is not deadlifts, it's the ego of the one who deadlifts, at least that's my view of things.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »

You don't even need higher reps, you can also go a little slower on the movement and flex your back hard, all very carefully.

The problem is not deadlifts, it's the ego of the one who deadlifts, at least that's my view of things.

Slower might or might not help everyone; it could be more dangerous as well for some. The main issue is that the lift itself facilitates the use of high weight that puts a lot of stress on the back.

Deadlifts because they inherently allow a lot of weight to be used and stress a key area of the body that affects the overall body, AND the way they're done are both problems, they're intertwined.

The lower back can be worked very well with weighted hypers or high rep deads and can be worked well using other exericises.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 07:52:41 AM »
Slower might or might not help everyone; the main issue is that the lift itself allows a lot of weight to be used, sometimes more than the back can handle.

Deadlifts because they inherently allow a lot of weight to be used and stress a key area of the body that affects the overall body, AND the way they're done are both problems, they're intertwined.

Anyway, taking your advice and going to go lower in weight with the high rep deads.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 05:18:49 PM »
Ok. What about alternating days when I do Squats and Deadlifts? Mon Deads, Wed Squats, Fri Deads, Mon Squats Wed Deads Fri Squats, etc....

Better, non?
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »
Ok. What about alternating days when I do Squats and Deadlifts? Mon Deads, Wed Squats, Fri Deads, Mon Squats Wed Deads Fri Squats, etc....

Better, non?

id say alternate deads with bent over bb rows and squats with leg presses