Author Topic: UFC 143, Diaz loses and retires  (Read 13257 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: UFC 143, Diaz loses and retires
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »
August 4, LA. Rematch set.   Condit v. Diaz II.
a

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Great news IMO, Dana was discussing putting it together in time for GSP's return just after the fight and as a matchup it makes the most sense. Financially its a win for Zuffa, and Diaz will be motivated to look for the takedown and finish. Cant wait as theres more meaning to it this time, hopefully this will be the fight we were expecting to see.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
Great news IMO, Dana was discussing putting it together in time for GSP's return just after the fight and as a matchup it makes the most sense. Financially its a win for Zuffa, and Diaz will be motivated to look for the takedown and finish. Cant wait as theres more meaning to it this time, hopefully this will be the fight we were expecting to see.
Lol, of course the UFC wants this rematch.  They would cum in thier pants at the thought of hyping a GSP vs. DIAZ fight.  They are praying that DIAZ wins this time.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
I would have refused the fight if I were Condit.  He supposedly earned the right to fight GSP for the real title.  This just tells me that the fix is in.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:19 AM »
Oh well there goes the rematch and Diaz' UFC career - failed the drug test by testing positive for marijuana and will likely face a 1 year suspension. He's too dumb to learn from past mistakes and now doesnt deserve to fight in the UFC.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
I would have refused the fight if I were Condit.  He supposedly earned the right to fight GSP for the real title.  This just tells me that the fix is in.

agreed. Something smells in the offices of the UFC.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »
WTF, why is there testing of marijuana? PEDs I can understand, but isnt it to his own detriment to use rec drugs?
follow the arrows

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
  This just tells me that the fix is in.

keep your day job....you'd starve as a detective !

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »
keep your day job....you'd starve as a detective !
Why would you give an immediate rematch to Diaz, unless you were really hoping he would win.  Condit (according to the judges) won fair and square. If I were Condit, I would have told the UFC to fuck off, and that I am waiting for GSP.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
Why would you give an immediate rematch to Diaz, unless you were really hoping he would win.  Condit (according to the judges) won fair and square. If I were Condit, I would have told the UFC to fuck off, and that I am waiting for GSP.

Its business, and great business at that. Simple.

The hype around the decision means widespread interest, even more so than the first fight which translates to BIG $$$ for Zuffa. With GSP out 'til later on in the year there is sufficient time for a defence before he returns, why would anyone (meaning Zuffa) turn their noses up at that much money?

There are no favourites, Dana & the Fertitta's do what is best for the company financially and this was a tremendous opportunity to rake in more cash from 1 fight than 3 - 4 shitty Fight Night cards.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
The hype around the decision means widespread interest, even more so than the first fight which translates to BIG $$$ for Zuffa.

yup !

suckmymuscle

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2012, 07:23:16 PM »
Greg Jackson is the one to blame for all of this!  Almost all of his fighters (except Jones) are points pussies.  Like someone said earlier, MMA fights should not go to a decision.  It's either a KO, TKO, sub/tap, or throwing in the towel.  Force these fuckers to fight!

This is a brilliant post, probably the best I have read on MMA is a long time. Yeah, fuck decisions. It should be like in gladiatorial combats in ancient Rome: there should be no end to the fight until one wins without questions. Kill or be killed. Make KO, TKO, submission, doctor stoppage, collapse from exhaustion and verbal submission the only ways the fight ends. In the case of verbal submission, the fighter who gave up and quit should not only not get any money for the fight, but should be fined the value that he would make if he won the fight. Be ruthless!! This way, I promise, MMA will be 10 times more exciting, and lay&smother fighters like GSP will drop out of the top 10 in their divisions.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
 This is a brilliant post, probably the best I have read on MMA is a long time. Yeah, fuck decisions. It should be like in gladiatorial combats in ancient Rome: there should be no end to the fight until one wins without questions. Kill or be killed. Make KO, TKO, submission, doctor stoppage, collapse from exhaustion and verbal submission the only ways the fight ends. In the case of verbal submission, the fighter who gave up and quit should not only not get any money for the fight, but should be fined the value that he would make if he won the fight. Be ruthless!! This way, I promise, MMA will be 10 times more exciting, and lay&smother fighters like GSP will drop out of the top 10 in their divisions.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

For every one person like you there are about 3 who support the current point scored system, and they actually want fights to be judged on points instead of effort to finish and engage. Its complete bullshit. They're like right winged christian moms who dont like violence, they need to gtfo and go back to watching tennis and leave our beloved sport alone.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
not soccer kicks like pride had, but I wouldn't mind seeing knees to the head of grounded fighters allowed in the UFC...

I think that might open up things ..

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
not soccer kicks like pride had, but I wouldn't mind seeing knees to the head of grounded fighters allowed in the UFC...

I think that might open up things ..

Oh i'd love to see that. I always found soccer kicks to be entertaining because as soon as the a guy gets dropped, shit hits the fan and things get really exciting fast. Instead of these unified rules where when someone hits the mat the audience gets ready for a borefest.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2012, 01:04:11 AM »
lol true. Condit is getting too much hate for this, the hate MUST be directed at the current judging criteria, not the fighters.
The judges didn't decide to fight like a girls blouse. Condit Did! - Condit is a fearful point fighter when faced with strong opposition, you can almost guarantee that Condit knew he couldn't win a fight with Diaz, so he turned the event into a spectacle.  Watching that fight was embarrassing for Carlos, nobody cares that he won, what will be remembered is that he fights like a massive homo!
V

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2012, 06:39:35 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The modern UFC is designed to appeal to the masses, this has always been Dana's vision and like it or not it is now a reality. The sport is no longer about seeing 2 men smash each other to a bloody pulp until 1 is standing, it has evolved in such a way that it has opened doors that would never have been approached using the original format.

I can safely say that most of us are not a fan of the point system - i.e. the way Condit won the fight - however it is never going to go back to the old rules, or even 1 night tournament fighting (though boxing now has it in the form of Prizefighter). Once fighters realised all they had to do was land a few combos and "avoid" confrontation (essentially run away) it became the easy way for a guy to pick up the W. Greg Jackson is doing whats best for his fighters and to be fair the camps success is unrivalled. It is shite but its true.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
The modern UFC is designed to appeal to the masses, this has always been Dana's vision and like it or not it is now a reality. The sport is no longer about seeing 2 men smash each other to a bloody pulp until 1 is standing, it has evolved in such a way that it has opened doors that would never have been approached using the original format.

I can safely say that most of us are not a fan of the point system - i.e. the way Condit won the fight - however it is never going to go back to the old rules, or even 1 night tournament fighting (though boxing now has it in the form of Prizefighter). Once fighters realised all they had to do was land a few combos and "avoid" confrontation (essentially run away) it became the easy way for a guy to pick up the W. Greg Jackson is doing whats best for his fighters and to be fair the camps success is unrivalled. It is shite but its true.

Well, yeah, except that the general public finds MMA even with a ton of rules to protect fighters too brutal and will never embrace it. And an MMA organization that adopts the rules I am suggesting will suplant the UFC with the hardcore fans, who are the only ones who consistently watch MMA fights, even if their fighters are inferior.

MMA is one those things that you either love or hate. There are far more "hardcore" fans than general public fans because people who hate brutality and violence simply don't want to watch guys trying to physically disable opponents through violence, even if the violence is controlled. People who love brutality want to see the most of it, and people who don't like it don't want to see any of it.

Dana is delusional if he thinks that creating a bunch of sissy rules will make people who are not fans of violence like combat sports. All he will accomplish it to see the popularity of the UFC decline. Fans of violence will watch other promotions as they will find the UFC too sissified, and non-fans of violence also won't watch it because guys trying to hit each other, even if only to score points to win decisions, is still too violent for their delicate sensibilities.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
WTF, why is there testing of marijuana? PEDs I can understand, but isnt it to his own detriment to use rec drugs?

It is riduculous considering that NBA basketball supposedly has drug testing and when was the last time you've heard about anyone in the NBA testing positive? I believe it was Charles Barkley who said 95% of all NBA basketball players smoke weed. Yet no positive tests. At least the IFBB doesn't try to insult people's intelligence by saying their "sport" is drug tested...

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
   Dana is delusional if he thinks that creating a bunch of sissy rules will make people who are not fans of violence like combat sports. SUCKMYMUSCLE

the rule changes had nothing to do with dana trying to get approval from fans..

the rule changes were to get state commissions to  sanction MMA..

you don't seem to realize that state athletic commisions have NOTHING to do with the UFC brand !

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »

you don't seem to realize that state athletic commisions have NOTHING to do with the UFC brand !

In theory they dont, but in reality with the amount of money Zuffa spends on lobbying there is no telling what is going on behind closed doors. Zuffa has so much money they can do whatever or buy whatever conveniences they want.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »

I know very well that the rules are enforced by the athletic comissions, but the reason why Dana even seeked this out was to gain approval from the general public. The problem is that he won't for the reasons I have already explained, and the UFC will decrease in popularity with the only fans who care to watch combat sports anyway.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
 I know very well that the rules are enforced by the athletic comissions, but the reason why Dana even seeked this out was to gain approval from the general public. The problem is that he won't for the reasons I have already explained, and the UFC will decrease in popularity with the only fans who care to watch combat sports anyway.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

there should be no end to the fight until one wins without questions. Kill or be killed. Make KO, TKO, submission, doctor stoppage, collapse from exhaustion and verbal submission the only ways the fight ends.

an organization with fighters with lesser talent and getting paid less that has no rules, and that no state will sanction is gonna take the place of the ufc huh ?....interesting stuff...good reading ! ;)

suckmymuscle

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 07:24:01 AM »
an organization with fighters with lesser talent and getting paid less that has no rules, and that no state will sanction is gonna take the place of the ufc huh ?....interesting stuff...good reading ! ;)

Yes it will, because it will appeal more to fans of combat sports, who are the only fans there are. The general public will never like MMA, with no rules or lots of them, approved by the athletic comissions or not.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2012, 08:34:11 AM »
Not that im bashing anyones opinion but UFC tried that and it took 40 million to get it to a point of general acceptance. Everyone these days thinks theyre an MMA fighter, with their Tapout shirts and threats of KO / subbing you (i love it when i hear it). Nobody gace a rats ass about the true form of MMA years ago, i dont remember Royce, Kimo etc grossing 1 million PPV buys.........

MMA is where it needs to be for the sport to expand, alienating the casual fans who still contribute more $ than the small sect of hardcores will only put the company in jeopardy. You cant cater for the few and expect the many to follow suit.